Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've already covered my disdain for using IM or Team Chats for professional communication, but I think the universe is intentionally fucking with me now. I always leave myself set to offline to discourage people from "chatting" in lieu of sending a properly documented, easily referenced emails, but someone I'm working with now responds to emails via Teams Chat only to say he's going to respond to my email:

Me: *Sent an email*
Him via Teams Chat while I'm clearly showing "offline": "Are you there?"
Me: *sigh* "Yes."
Him: "Ok, I'm going to look into the issue you emailed me about."

*End of Teams Chat conversation*
I think the new norm of working remotely has left a void with some people who compensate for lack of in-person interaction by overly and unnecessarily communicating whenever they get a chance. I reckon this guy is that kind of social deviant who calls you immediately when you text him, then wonders earnestly why you didn't pick up the phone.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Just want the work day to hurry up and end so I can sit around playing videogames and watching anime this weekend without fear getting dragged into a meeting or slack chat. I am an adult.
I have had slack meetings keep me at work after I normally clock out all week so far. Conditions are such that I'm likely to have to work overtime this weekend... I agree, just let me go home on time today at least.

Reactions: Piscian

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Indeed, LinkedIn aren't good for job-hunting. ZipRecruiter where you have to pay as an employer to get a position posted is much better.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Here are the jobs they/employers want you to do if you're white-collar.

Sales
Accounting Related Positions
Did I mention Sales
Manager(AKA please work long hours and gain no marketable technical skills other than stress management and yapping) <- Depending on the job
Business Analyst (Same as above but you have to deal with ego-tripping baby boomers and Gen X and you have no power)

Jobs they don't want you to do
Programmer(God forbid you work remotely so you don't have to deal with Karen and her high school graduating ass 4th grade vocabulary)
Data Analyst (Same as above)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Never have I felt more like that John Travolta meme than during this whole supposed rap beef that's been clogging up my youtube homepage.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn today from PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) regarding an "exciting new role" that would be "absolutely perfect" for my "extensive expertise" (their words) for a rate of $21.18 per hour.

I politely let them know that I wasn't interested and that the compensation was not competitive. They told me they could probably get it bumped up to a whole $22 per hour.

I told them to get fucked. I live in California where I can make $20 per hour flipping burgers. What makes them think anyone with the legal compliance experience they were looking for would be willing to take $22? It's fucking insulting.

These are the kinds of people who use the phrase "no one wants to work anymore."

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn today from PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) regarding an "exciting new role" that would be "absolutely perfect" for my "extensive expertise" (their words) for a rate of $21.18 per hour.

I politely let them know that I wasn't interested and that the compensation was not competitive. They told me they could probably get it bumped up to a whole $22 per hour.

I told them to get fucked. I live in California where I can make $20 per hour flipping burgers. What makes them think anyone with the legal compliance experience they were looking for would be willing to take $22? It's fucking insulting.

These are the kinds of people who use the phrase "no one wants to work anymore."
We're importing US tipping culture and you're importing UK wages. Next up for grabs: healthcare and grey.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
We're importing US tipping culture and you're importing UK wages. Next up for grabs: healthcare and grey.
Related:

I feel that if we spent even 1/10 as much energy looking for good ideas to steal from other countries that do things better than us as we do trying to argue that other countries are even shitter than our own particular cesspool, we might actually start improving our lot rather than flushing it further down the toilet.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Related:

I feel that if we spent even 1/10 as much energy looking for good ideas to steal from other countries that do things better than us as we do trying to argue that other countries are even shitter than our own particular cesspool, we might actually start improving our lot rather than flushing it further down the toilet.
Full-length fixed-rate mortgages, there's one. I was surprised that Americans were surprised that we go through a remortgage every 2-5 years and roll the dice on whether we can still afford our houses. (I didn't know US mortgages were different.)

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Full-length fixed-rate mortgages, there's one. I was surprised that Americans were surprised that we go through a remortgage every 2-5 years and roll the dice on whether we can still afford our houses. (I didn't know US mortgages were different.)
Wow, your mortgages sound terrible.

I have a 30 year mortgage with an interest rate below the rate of inflation.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK

They are. Mine is well below the rate of inflation at the moment, but it's only got 3 years left before I have to get a new rate. Just got to try and pay off as much extra as possible early on, which is advisable anyway, but yeah, if interest rates are high in 3 years my mortgage could be a lot more expensive.

House prices are fucking ridiculous too. The "buy to let" property boom and second home ownership really fucked over people who were less well off.

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

They are, yes. It hadn't really been an issue for a long time, with interest rates being flat and low for a decade, but that just allowed house prices to get silly because borrowing was so easy, and then it all came home at once and we had a generation of borrowers who'd just never considered that rates could go up to 5% really easily (which is about where they were when I bought my first house just before the GFC).

We do actually have access to very long-term rates (like 10- and 15-year fixes) but you pay a higher rate and people just don't use them - it's more or less the norm that you'll remortgage every 2-5 years.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
This new job is... really not working out. For some reason, they've decided to rely on remote training for a job that involves handling physical documents. On my first day, I arrived at 7:55, got pulled out of the training room at 8:10, and was placed in front of a computer by someone who was obviously too busy to actually train me. Thanks to a login issue on one of the programs I needed to use (caused by a VPN being active), I was left basically sitting around until 4:15PM before being given any sort of training. And now on day 2, I had to wait until 2:45PM before I got any documents I could do my job with; the box was basically dropped near a cubicle by the same person who flaked out on training me, sealed with tape, and we had to canvas the workers for anyone who had a tool sharp enough to open it.

The people who are handling the remote training are obviously trying their best, but they're also obviously not trainers and are being asked to do this on top of their actual jobs. The work itself isn't terribly involved, but there are a lot of factors and "weird things" and not having help available makes things stressful. I'm seriously considering cancelling this agreement.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Im having one of those weeks where I got a raise...a week after they let 20 contractors go to balance the books due to poor market performance. Im one of the lynchpin types who works weekends due to ocd so Im never in fear of my job but live in constant self-induced stress.

Man as a corporate insider I hate literally watching dysfunction and poor upper echelon strategy happen in real time.

"Oh well we weren't prepared for the down turn"

Really? what you forget your shades?

2240406-solar-ecliptse-donald-trump-wm-1217p-50461b.jpg

You thought this clown was gonna keep the gravy train going forever?

Im being unfair what I do wouldn't be impacted by dumb stock market gambling, the wave of "fuck nobody can afford bread" hit everybody. If you make lightbulbs you still took a hit. Just frustrated that everyone, literally everyone believes in the concept of infinite growth. Like

giphy (5).gif

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
One of the Displates that I own fell off the wall it was hanging on and significantly damaged the molding at the bottom of the wall. This happened because the adhesive on the magnets holding it in place failed. Now I have to repair the damage and I'm not entirely sure how to go about it.

Thanks Displate. I will no longer recommend your product to anyone.

I am also taking down all my other displates and applying additional adhesive to the back of every magnet to prevent this from happening again.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Websites... Nothing is going to make me click away faster than not having "reject all" front and centre in your cookie pop-up window. I can just about deal with "manage options *click* reject all" but if I have to go throught turning off individual options then I'm gone.