Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Why yes, I AM going to take you, Steve Trevor, into harm's way, wearing some poor smuck's body. If you get shot or killed, well...sucks to be that guy I guess.
And you know, she also kind of raped the dude. Which is debatable, but the fact that this movie even led to the discussion of "did Wonder Woman just rape that dude?" is mind blowing.

I'd personally rank it as the worst DCEU movie along with the first Suicide Squad. It didn't piss me off as much as Batman v Superman, but at the same time, there is literally nothing in this movie that I would bother watching again. Except to make fun I guess.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
And you know, she also kind of raped the dude. Which is debatable, but the fact that this movie even led to the discussion of "did Wonder Woman just rape that dude?" is mind blowing.
Chances are, almost certainly not, but as you point out, that we're left in a position to ask is a bizzare choice of writing. Even by the laws of the setting itself, the Dreamstone can clearly make things appear out of thin air (e.g. it creates 100 new nukes for the US), but for some reason, it can't give Steve a body of his own?

I'd personally rank it as the worst DCEU movie along with the first Suicide Squad. It didn't piss me off as much as Batman v Superman, but at the same time, there is literally nothing in this movie that I would bother watching again. Except to make fun I guess.
Wouldn't go that far myself. BvS and Suicide Squad are both messes. I probably enjoyed Suicide Squad more than this one, but on the level of filmmaking itself? Still ranks higher.

Currently, my DCEU ranking stands as:

9) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

8) Suicide Squad

7) Wonder Woman 1984

6) Birds of Prey

5) Justice League (Whedon)

4) Aquaman

3) Man of Steel

2) Wonder Woman

1) Shazam!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Even by the laws of the setting itself, the Dreamstone can clearly make things appear out of thin air (e.g. it creates 100 new nukes for the US), but for some reason, it can't give Steve a body of his own?
I assumed that was the repercussion of the wish (which would have been fine and probably made more sense), but then she started to lose her power as well. So yup, just dumb writing.

Wouldn't go that far myself. BvS and Suicide Squad are both messes. I probably enjoyed Suicide Squad more than this one, but on the level of filmmaking itself? Still ranks higher.
I hate BvS with a burning passion, but at the very least, it has some artistic vision. Beautiful shots, good musical score, more or less excellent effects. Whereas this movie felt very "I guess we should do a sequel" and cheap. I'm no expert on filmography, but I'd say that while WW 1984 wasn't as bad an experience as BvS, from a filmmaking perspective it's the equivalent of comparing an off brand product to the original.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As I understand it, having not seen the film, the stone used a real dude's body, and basically just hijacked it and gave Steve control of it for a while. Which, if that is accurate, completely body snatched him, and stole all of his autonomy. So yes, she very much raped him, because he had no way to give consent. Being John Malkovich did something similar, and it was shown to be a pretty horrifying thing for the person being body controlled, and for the person being trapped inside the head.

People might try and dismiss it as "yeah but...come oooon, it's Gal Gadot! What dude wouldn't want to bang her!?" But, if we gender swapped the parties, and had some dude, having sex with a woman, who was currently being body controlled by the...ghost?...of his dead ex-girlfriend....I'm certain people would have some major problems with it, way more than the curfuffle about it in it's current gendered format.

I will try and be forgiving in that it seems, from what I've heard about the development, that this is one of the plot points that got carved up like a holiday turkey, and rewritten, and that it's likely that person was supposed to be someone else in the DCEU having their introduction, and then they had to do damage control and retcon that, which has caused this problem but, regardless of any of that, as presented, yes she had sex with a man who did not consent to have sex with her, while his body was under the control of another person. At best you can say he was in a magically induced coma while she was fucking him but...well....for anyone who has seen Kill Bill, we all know how consensual and wholesome that kind of situation is. That's right, Wonder Woman is Buck, she drives a truck, and she loves to fuck.

Reactions: BrawlMan

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
As I understand it, having not seen the film, the stone used a real dude's body, and basically just hijacked it and gave Steve control of it for a while. Which, if that is accurate, completely body snatched him, and stole all of his autonomy. So yes, she very much raped him, because he had no way to give consent.
Verdict: no rape. Steve consents to sex with Diana. From the moment of Diana's wish the body was Steve's and thus no need to consult Handsome Man, for he was not a part of it. Even if compared to a dissociative personality (used to be called MPD) it wouldn't be rape, but that's unnecessary because the Dreamstone works on magic that Patty Jenkins made up. Moreover, Steve doesn't even steal Handsome Man's identity as he introduces himself as Steve and doesn't use Handsome Man's passport.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Verdict: no rape. Steve consents to sex with Diana. From the moment of Diana's wish the body was Steve's and thus no need to consult Handsome Man, for he was not a part of it. Even if compared to a dissociative personality (used to be called MPD) it wouldn't be rape, but that's unnecessary because the Dreamstone works on magic that Patty Jenkins made up. Moreover, Steve doesn't even steal Handsome Man's identity as he introduces himself as Steve and doesn't use Handsome Man's passport.
I like to imagine the whole time Steve is in his place the other guy is trapped in a horrifying hellish alternate dimension fighting for his life against hoards of monsters or he's trapped outside his body unable to move or speak, only able watch on in horror as Steve tries on fanny packs.

I'm just saying, they missed a golden opportunity to occasionally flip over to what was going with handsome man while Steve was in his place

evildeadgif_header.gif

Reactions: Dalisclock

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Are you sure about that last bit? I don't remember enough about this movie, but according to this article: https://collider.com/how-does-steve-trevor-come-back-wonder-woman-1984/, Steve appears as Steve only to Diana. Hell, I think even Steve sees himself as the Handsome Man. It is very much still Handsome Man's body. While I guess yeah it's silly to debate over magic, it's definitely distasteful. And we all know if it were the reverse, people would be REALLLLL pissed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Are you sure about that last bit? I don't remember enough about this movie, but according to this article: https://collider.com/how-does-steve-trevor-come-back-wonder-woman-1984/, Steve appears as Steve only to Diana. Hell, I think even Steve sees himself as the Handsome Man. It is very much still Handsome Man's body. While I guess yeah it's silly to debate over magic, it's definitely distasteful. And we all know if it were the reverse, people would be REALLLLL pissed.
It's rape, end of discussion. I say this, and I am a fan of WW84.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Yes, Steve's body granted to him by magic used to belong to Handsome Man. After the wish it's Steve's. As in Steve's consciousness is in sole control. After renouncing the wish things magically reset to where they were. Distastefulness is arguable, yes, rape is not, because of the reasons in my previous comment.
It's rape, end of discussion.
My argument is solid. Admitting that you're wrong can be healthy sometimes.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yes, Steve's body granted to him by magic used to belong to Handsome Man. After the wish it's Steve's. As in Steve's consciousness is in sole control. After renouncing the wish things magically reset to where they were. Distastefulness is arguable, yes, rape is not, because of the reasons in my previous comment.
You make it sound like Handsome Man's body is only his when his consciousness is in control. If anything, that seems even more like rape.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
You make it sound like Handsome Man's body is only his when his consciousness is in control. If anything, that seems even more like rape.
You don't know if you control your body because of a magic spell that was cast when you were 2 years old. Maybe you are raping Handsome Bob as we speak?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My argument is solid. Admitting that you're wrong can be healthy sometimes.
You're mistaking me for somebody that gives a shit. Glad to know you like talking about yourself. It's rape; deal with it. If you can't handle it, not my problem. Already moving on, so don't bother responding back in this case.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Okay then. I won't be wasting my time further. Hmm, maybe renaming to "ClownMan" would give everyone a heads up on what to expect when replying to you.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Someone's salty this morning. Also, not very original, and I've heard so much better. Good to know you're a Mega Man 8 fan though. You wear that Clown Man Badge with pride!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Looking at the varying opinions of that particular aspect of the film - and for reference I got the steelbook 4k on day one - I think it can be agreed it was a dumb plot point that they handled poorly when there were dozens of other vectors to do it from that include no philosophical or ethical quandaries.

Or to put it more succinctly: swing and a miss, Patty.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I watched Hard Target on Blu Ray for the first time. If you're a fan of this movie, Van Damme, John Woo, or all of the above, get this version. It has more extended and uncut versions of the gun violence. Mainly the final battle. There is also some dialogue added back in too. It works for the better. This and Double Impact I consider the best VD films, and Woo's 2nd best American film. Hard Target is basically The Most Dangerous Game, but turned up to 11. Rich assholes are hunting homeless combat veterans in the streets of New Orleans. One of those veterans happen to be Nat's father who had gone missing, and hires Chance to find him. But of course, her father is already dead.

This movie is 90s with Woo's stylish flair, the slow motion, acrobatic flips, and the Van Damme mullet. Woo is definitely a master of his craft when it comes to filming action scenes. Beautiful, operatic, and just knows when to kick in the slow-mo. Some people consider this movie so, bad it's good, but I'm the opposite. It's just a straight up awesome action flick that knows how to cut loose. After seeing the Blu Ray version, it's hard go back to the theatrical cut on standard DVDs or VHS. There is literally no reason not to do so now, other than possible nostalgia.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
On WW84 I think it's a fascinating insight into what a disaster filming must of been that the bodyswap was intentionally in the movie, but still glossed over. They literally could have just had Steve appear and it wouldnt have impacted the story in the slightest. It wouldn't surprise me if Chris pine refused to come back for ww84 reshoots so they had to cobble together his scenes. The whole film is full of weird half finished subplots and scenes. Since the movie is about a monkeys paw I'm extremely confident this was a part of an entire cut subplot where Diana takes her wish back because it's not fair to the other guy. If you pay attention the goodbye scene transition is weirdly cut to leave out Chris pine after the kiss or whatever it was.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
On WW84 I think it's a fascinating insight into what a disaster filming must of been that the bodyswap was intentionally in the movie, but still glossed over. They literally could have just had Steve appear and it wouldnt have impacted the story in the slightest. It wouldn't surprise me if Chris pine refused to come back for ww84 reshoots so they had to cobble together his scenes. The whole film is full of weird half finished subplots and scenes. Since the movie is about a monkeys paw I'm extremely confident this was a part of an entire cut subplot where Diana takes her wish back because it's not fair to the other guy. If you pay attention the goodbye scene transition is weirdly cut to leave out Chris pine after the kiss or whatever it was.
I would love to be in an alternate universe where no COVID happened if only to see the as filmed and released on time version of that movie.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I would love to be in an alternate universe where no COVID happened if only to see the as filmed and released on time version of that movie.
I kinda forgot covid likely played a big role in stopping them from doing proper reshoots or spending money on more effects and editing.