Movies/shows where they don't kill the badguy/convert him. (Spoilers obviously)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Since Genma technically can't die because he's immortal. He's just trapped, incassed in gold at the bottom of the sea for as long as... nobody finds him?
A fate worse than death. The same thing happens to Grant Walker in BATAS. Except replace gold with ice and having the same condition as Mr.Freeze.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I vaguely remember, because it happened so late in the series. I reason picked Toru is that he was the first and sticks out the most.

No one was converted, but Daredevil spares Kingpin. It's a cruel mercy though.
Well, Fisk was exposed at that point and the cops were coming. Killing him would have been redundant.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
About 60% of the protagonists in Dragon Ball were introduced to the story as villains.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
If we ever need to understand anything about society, it's the idea that we have a justice system that's supposed to apprehend criminals with reasonable use of force, and yet our media thinks they all need a violent death.

The other irony is that is that on the few occasions when they really, really should kill the villains, they often don't. I mean, after Joker / Penguin / Poison Ivy etc have escaped prison / asylum for the 3rd time to wreak havoc, death and destruction, someone should have learnt the lesson. The fact that Brucey keeps putting them back in with the inevitable knowledge they'll be out in a jiffy makes Batman the worst fucking idiot to run round in a cape.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
If we ever need to understand anything about society, it's the idea that we have a justice system that's supposed to apprehend criminals with reasonable use of force, and yet our media thinks they all need a violent death.

The other irony is that is that on the few occasions when they really, really should kill the villains, they often don't. I mean, after Joker / Penguin / Poison Ivy etc have escaped prison / asylum for the 3rd time to wreak havoc, death and destruction, someone should have learnt the lesson. The fact that Brucey keeps putting them back in with the inevitable knowledge they'll be out in a jiffy makes Batman the worst fucking idiot to run round in a cape.
I can't hold authorial fiat against Batman, its a pain to be sure but even the Batman yields to the invisible hand of Editors. Plus Penguin isn't really in the league as the Joker. In fact Cobblepot runs largely legitimate businesses these days. Riddler went straight and became a PI. There's also been a concerted effort to rehabilitate (as characters) Harley and Ivy. Mileage varies on the success of that.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Plus Penguin isn't really in the league as the Joker.
Not at present, but in his heyday... he was utterly monstrous in No Man's Land, and (more recently) in Pain & Prejudice. Nowadays he's being pretty subdued, but those "legitimate businesses" are still fronts.

Riddler went straight and became a PI.
He did indeed, but that was partly due to amnesia of some kind after getting brutalised by Ivy. He reverted again.

===

OT: Hayao Miyazaki likes antagonists being understandable and/or redeemed. The Witch of the Waste in Howl's Moving Castle; No Face in Spirited Away; Miralupa in Nausicaa.

Oh, and of course Prince Zuko & General Iroh in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Not at present, but in his heyday... he was utterly monstrous in No Man's Land, and (more recently) in Pain & Prejudice. Nowadays he's being pretty subdued, but those "legitimate businesses" are still fronts.

He did indeed, but that was partly due to amnesia of some kind after getting brutalised by Ivy. He reverted again.
Because character development is for suckers, apparently.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Because character development is for suckers, apparently.
Kinda. I do find it endlessly frustrating that comic writers so often shy away from changing the status quo, meaning that deaths get undone and everything goes back to the way it was. A character dying in a comic book means nothing more than half of the time; it's lost almost all impact.

But on the other hand... I do prefer Riddler as a villain than a PI.