Shadow Warrior 3

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
when you say "original", are you saying they replaced the dialog in the original game or you mean shadow warrior 2 is less offensive?
By original I mean the 90s Shadow warrior. Not the 2013 reboot nor it's sequel. And a quick crash course for everyone. The Shadow warrior reboot games do that same confusing thing the Ninja Gaiden reboot games did, where they act as prequels to the original games. It's noticeable, cuz in each new Shadow Warrior game, Wang ages and he starts looking more and more like his original incarnation each time (though not too much). Now as far as the original Shadow Warrior from the '90s goes, they never bothered to redo his voice. So whenever you play the original Shadow Warrior, you're getting all of the original voice actor, who was also not Asian, but put more of a really bad mix of Japanese and Chinese Asian stereotype with the bad accent. So be warned if you ever decide to play the original or watch a clip on YouTube.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I haven't used any guns, as I find the swords more fun. Plus I got a sword that literally uses ammo to shoot out energy waves as a ranged attack so, that's just fun.

My biggest issue is how you have to either just not use elemental effects at all, or have a rolodex of specialized weapons for each type, and swap out. Which I find really tedious. So far, I've decided my primary weapon is a non elemental, that's all about crit chance and damage, and just fuck elemental, unless it's a big boss beastie that just really needs as much damage as possible. So far it's been working ok, but I've only played for like 10 hours or so at this point.

Yeah if I remember right I used the four alt guns strategy (And the magic) and my buddy just loaded up on some crit sword, it was about the same effectiveness.

Towards the end, and in what passes for a post-game is kind of where it peters off hard. Since there's not really much mechanical density or unqiue interactions going on.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah if I remember right I used the four alt guns strategy (And the magic) and my buddy just loaded up on some crit sword, it was about the same effectiveness.

Towards the end, and in what passes for a post-game is kind of where it peters off hard. Since there's not really much mechanical density or unqiue interactions going on.
Yeah I've already got enough blades to have one of each element type, I just find it really tedious. Unless the enemy has a physical damage resist, I usually find it easier to just stick to my critblade, and just go for massive damage. Since it's pure damage, it doesn't really matter if they are elemental resistant at all.

It's fun so far. We'll see if I keep playing it. I kind of want to see where the story goes. Because the banter between the characters is pretty damn funny at times. Usually the other people around Lo Wang. But he does have some gems now and then too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
, but then Lo Wang is....well I won't say he's as bad as Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's, but he's pretty close. Also his humor is incredibly juvenile. He seriously says at one point, to a person praising another person's actions "If you like him so much, why don't you marry him?" Which I find strange, given this character apparently KILLED A GOD in the previous game? And yet he's running around with dialogue and the emotional maturity of a 12 year old dudebro in training? *shrugs* It's strange because, sometimes a more normal persona peeks it's head out, but then goes back down into the bowels of his brain. I'm hoping he'll have some growth by the end, given the story, it seems likely. But for all I know that will all be reset by the end, because video game protagonist. I dunno.
Wang is more or less accurate to his 90s counterpart in Shadow Warrior 2. Whether someone considers this a good or bad thing is up to the player. I know his personality in 2 is a base breaker. You either love it or hate it.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Wang is more or less accurate to his 90s counterpart in Shadow Warrior 2. Whether someone considers this a good or bad thing is up to the player. I know his personality in 2 his base breaker. You either love it or hate it.
So far I find it relatively amusing, his portrayal in SW 2. I haven't played it since my last post about a week ago, as other games caught my interest. I'll probably pick it up again at some point when I'm just looking for something relatively mindless to occupy a few hours.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gah, still not finished with Elden Ring, I suppose Wang can wait.
You do that. No worries. I still have not finished Sifu yet. I am working through Curse of the Moon 2 as well. They're both short games I can come back to later. Though CoM2 don't take too long. It does have a problem with hard mode filler though. If this game is coming out this week, I'll buy it after my payday. I have zero problems with that.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You do that. No worries. I still have not finished Sifu yet. I am working through Curse of the Moon 2 as well. They're both short games I can come back to later. Though CoM2 don't take too long. It does have a problem with hard mode filler though. If this game is coming out this week, I'll buy it after my payday. I have zero problems with that.
I'm also doing Destiny 2 witch queen and have the FF6 pixel remake waiting in the wings and I need to finish Xcom 2.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From what I am hearing, the only problem the game has is that SHW3 short. It clocks in about 6 hours total. I don't have a problem with this because the last game was too bloated went on for way too long. Plus, the looter shooter elements just didn't work. The game has the starting price of $49.99. That is not too bad. From what I'm seeing of acg's review, it's basically you're going from arena to arena just shooting and I have no problem with that. There is some platforming but it's just there to break up the pace and it's only there when it's actually needed. It's smooth and responsive and quick to the point. It does not drag on like Doom: Eternal. After being burned by that game, I'll take Shadow Warrior 3 and pick this up on Thursday. I prefer shorter games with knit tight experiences anyway.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
No freaking way! He's been voicing Lo Wang the entire time? All three games?
No, just the third one. Just mentioned it because I think him a talented dude and it's nice to see him get some more high profile work.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ggman is saying the game is too easy even on the hardest difficulty, but I do not have a problem with this. I don't mind a chat rooms. Plus, I'm going to be playing on normal difficulty anyway. I do agree with him that it sucks that there's no new game plus. I hope that comes in an update or something. It's the 2020s, new game plus should mandatory in your games. Hopefully they can do something similar to God of War 4, and add new game plus in a patch update.