EA says "We don't push people to spend money in our games"

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

TL;DR
A recent leaked document revealed that they push people to spend money in fifa microtransactions,, to which they have denined

I mean I can't say I'm surprised at all, but what I'm surprised about is that every year they always come up with something dumb to say. We went from "Linear single-player games are dead", "Sense of pride and accomplishment", "They're not loot boxes, but surprised mechanics", and now this.

I wonder what they'll say next? Nintendo games are inferior to EA games?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sora383

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Sure EA might say that, but EA lies. Its what they do.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
To deny that they push people to spend money is like denying that water is wet. It is, if you will, akin to saying that you don't want your business to make money.
Thing is, EA will tell you that water is perfectly dry while it tries to sell you a water lootbox ("30% chance of actual water!") in the desert. Remember, this is the company that told us that lootboxes are essential to fund games- and then, after fan outcry forced them to take lootboxes out of Battlefront II, told investors that doing so wouldn't hurt their profits.

Imagine how different gaming would be if it was as illegal to lie to us as it is to lie to investors!

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada

TL;DR
A recent leaked document revealed that they push people to spend money in fifa microtransactions,, to which they have denined

I mean I can't say I'm surprised at all, but what I'm surprised about is that every year they always come up with something dumb to say. We went from "Linear single-player games are dead", "Sense of pride and accomplishment", "They're not loot boxes, but surprised mechanics", and now this.

I wonder what they'll say next? Nintendo games are inferior to EA games?
*Looks at the sims looks at all the sports games in the past few years* sure you don’t push micro transactions ea totally believe you on that.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Uh-huh...sure they don't.

Pay no attention to the gen-chat limitations, the credit cap (which at higher levels you will hit quite often...and be unable to do anything about it because nothing in-game is worth buying and inflation has priced the player-player trade WELL beyond that 1M mark), the lack of rewards for certain events, the constant "hey, if you were subscribed you could have gotten more rewards" notifications, the limitations on certain mission types, inability to trade...no no, they absolutely don't push people to spend money on their games...

Reactions: Sora383

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I had this really weird experience with EA last year where in, somehow someone had linked someone elses credit card to my EA ID and ripped them off for a bunch of russian Fifa credit. I'm not even sure how because my account was never compromised, supposedly it has something to do with manipulating Xbox live accounts, which I don't use but was linked to EA. I don't even play Fifa.

I contacted EA thinking my account had been compromised, but they verified transactions had gone through my account, but it wasn't using my creditcard (turned out I didnt even have one linked thankfully). I asked them to refund the transactions, block my account and investigate. They basically told me to get fucked and that they don't care since it's not me getting defrauded. In the end it made me so concerned that I changed my password, removed all my info and decided I'll never support EA again.

Apparently this fifa stuff has turned into a whole market of grey market hackers stealing credit cards, buy and reselling fifa credits and EA is happy to oblige since they're profiting off of it.

I've never heard anything since now that I think of it, but at this point I still refuse to support EA period.

Last edited:

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
Uh-huh...sure they don't.

Pay no attention to the gen-chat limitations, the credit cap (which at higher levels you will hit quite often...and be unable to do anything about it because nothing in-game is worth buying and inflation has priced the player-player trade WELL beyond that 1M mark), the lack of rewards for certain events, the constant "hey, if you were subscribed you could have gotten more rewards" notifications, the limitations on certain mission types, inability to trade...no no, they absolutely don't push people to spend money on their games...
This times 1000. I got the urge to play SWTOR again and tired free to play and only lasted about 10 minutes with the constant push. I admit I broke down and paid for two months with no reoccurring, that way I got 60 days to get the SWTOR urge out of my system.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
This times 1000. I got the urge to play SWTOR again and tired free to play and only lasted about 10 minutes with the constant push. I admit I broke down and paid for two months with no reoccurring, that way I got 60 days to get the SWTOR urge out of my system.
You can blame Blizzard for that one. Every since WoW everybody and his mother has been putting out MMOs trying to get a piece of a pie that shouldn't exist in the first place. The idea you could buy a game and then not only not own it but have to pay more money in order to actually play it, in other words "Games as a Service" started there. Sure, MMOs and even Pay to Play MMOs existed before but it's WoW that popularized it. EA... they're just exploited it with SWTOR.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
We don't want a pink Darth Vader, the latest dev studio EA buys is not doomed, and we have always been at war with Eastasia.

EA lied, news at 11. Not that documenting the latest lie is a bad thing.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
EA like many big corporations is designed for maximizing shareholder value. But they do that by screwing over the general public, and their own customers.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Rot in hell EA.
Satan's too good for them. They can rot in the void, at least there's nothing there for them to peddle their shit to.

OT: Well, isn't this standard MO for EA? Try to secretly do scummy shit for all teh moneez, get found out, fake contrition, shut up until the storm blows over... rinse and repeat? We'll be back at it in a few months and until ambivalent EA customers (who I suppose to be the majority) actually speak with their wallet instead of just standing at the back glancing around for the next game they want, and legislation is put in place to protect whales, it's going to keep happening.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Still getting paid way too much but fuck him just the same.