Invincible confirmed for Season two and three

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada

All I gotta say is awesome. I have loved season one so far and look forward to season two and three.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Is season 1 over? It ended in kind of an awkward spot. Glad to hear seasons 2 and 3 got the green light, I did enjoy season 1 quite a bit.

Reactions: gorfias and Sora383

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Is season 1 over? It ended in kind of an awkward spot. Glad to hear seasons 2 and 3 got the green light, I did enjoy season 1 quite a bit.
The last episode of season 1, episode 8, just dropped. I haven't seen the new one yet but I'm caught up otherwise.

And I'm onboard for a couple more seasons.

Reactions: Sora383

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
That last little…I almost want to say montage at the end was interesting, made me feel like they were

Showing us a bunch of different enemies and locations so we couldn’t guess what they were going to use for season two and what they will use for season 3

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah I wasn't a fan of how it ended. I usually get frustrated by cliffhangers but the climax was a perfect way to end it, really driving home the drama. Instead they had the moment, and the rest of the episode is things you'd normally see in the first episode of the next season or next issue, then they hype up the second season. It was still good and frankly a properly done adaptation in rare form ... just a weird way to end the season.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Just watched the season finale and I got everything I would have wanted from this season. They delivered the on the "why" from the 1st episode, I really hate when shows string that along forever. I feel like it was a full story arc that we got and they just set up some stuff for the next season.

Reactions: Dalisclock

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I thought that it was a fun, but very inconsistent show.

When it was doing something, it was really enjoyable. When it wasn't, it was really dull. I'd say that the show was 50/50 for both.

One of my biggest criticisms though, is that there were a lot of characters who have (so far) been entirely irrelevant. Like the new Guardians of the Globe, for example. It is entirely possible that they have a much bigger role in Season 2 and beyond, but solely in the context of this season, if none of the characters in the new team existed in the show, the show's overall plot would not change one bit. What this meant is that there were multiple scenes focusing on characters who just... didn't really have much to do, in the grand scheme of things, and that time could have been better spent further developing the main cast.

I'd say it was a 5/10. Im still excited to see where the show goes, because I really like the plotline that they have established, but the show really needs to work out a lot of flaws before I can consider it to be "good".

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
So what is this show? Its like Super Man is a dick and kills people and...and that's it?
That's closer to a descriptor of "The Boys".

This is more like "Superman married, had a kid, and is teaching his kid to be a superhero when he gets superpowers in high school. Except superman basically murdered the Justice League in episode 1 but why is left an open question until the end of the season and almost nobody knows he was the murderer".

The there's also the whole thing where it's an animated superhero show not unlike Justice League Unlimited but people die like all the time(Graphically sometimes) and there's a lot of focus on Mark(Invicible) and his family/friends.

It's generally well written and has some really top tier voice talent such as JK simmons involved.

It's kind of hard to describe in a way that captures what makes it interesting.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's funny to me that most people have no clue that this is an adaptation of the Invincible comic, despite the fact that it's the same guy who did world phenomena The Walking Dead. I guess if you're not a Kardashian...

To put it more succinctly, Invincible is what if Krypton was the Empire and Superman was Darth Vader. Having recently reread the comic series which is complete, I feel pretty confident that was Roberts original inspiration, though I'll give him credit that the series has a lot more depth than that and asks a lot of questions about superheroes that elevates the material.

If Garth Ennis asked "what is sups were pervy monster ****s?" Robert Kirkman asks "what if superheroes were real people?" What I've enjoyed much more about the Invincible adaptation over The Boys or The Walking Dead is the lack of unnecessary superfluous drama. So far theres not any real misunderstandings or whatever that drag on for multiple episodes or a feeling of the studio needing to pad out 13 episodes. One of my favorite scenes is when theres a big superhero reveal and the response is " yeah so, why should that change how I feel?". This series feels like it respects it's cast and they not just set pieces.

For those intentionally not reading the comics, I'd say don't worry you're gonna be in for more surprises.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I thought that it was a fun, but very inconsistent show.

When it was doing something, it was really enjoyable. When it wasn't, it was really dull. I'd say that the show was 50/50 for both.

One of my biggest criticisms though, is that there were a lot of characters who have (so far) been entirely irrelevant. Like the new Guardians of the Globe, for example. It is entirely possible that they have a much bigger role in Season 2 and beyond, but solely in the context of this season, if none of the characters in the new team existed in the show, the show's overall plot would not change one bit. What this meant is that there were multiple scenes focusing on characters who just... didn't really have much to do, in the grand scheme of things, and that time could have been better spent further developing the main cast.

I'd say it was a 5/10. Im still excited to see where the show goes, because I really like the plotline that they have established, but the show really needs to work out a lot of flaws before I can consider it to be "good".
I haven't seen the entire show, but I am aware of some plot beats, and having read the comics it looks like they decided to squeeze some of the later plotlines way closer together. The whole thing with Robot's reveal and Battle Beast doesn't come into play untill AFTER Omni-man leaves Earth. Some characters also appear to have been given more preference in the show then they initially had in the comic, like Eve. She really doesn't do much in the first 13 issues of the comic -- Mark's mom has much more plot relevance then Eve. But seeing as Eve is sorta the most prominent (young) female character and the obvious love interest I guess they felt they needed to beef her up.

And from what I heard people don't seem to like Amber (is that still her name in the show) very much, and that's a shame because she's actually very likeable in the comic. The comic actually manages to make the whole love triangle drama work very well without anyone really being put in a bad light.

Having seen the Episode 8 battle between Mark and his dad I'm wondering how well a future event is going to play out considering how incredibly mean and vicious Omni-Man was here compared to the comic. In the comic he still beats Mark bloody and near death, and thousands of innocent people do get killed in their fight, but it doesn't take a round tour of Omni-Man specifically targeting bystanders to teach his son a lesson. Omni-Man is solely focused on Mark as he beats him across the planet with the resulting destruction causing all the death. In the show he's just killing people to spite Mark. Apart from this being yet another example of the show really trying to sell itself on its shock factor, I feel it might break some of the later character arcs.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
That's closer to a descriptor of "The Boys".

This is more like "Superman married, had a kid, and is teaching his kid to be a superhero when he gets superpowers in high school. Except superman basically murdered the Justice League in episode 1 but why is left an open question until the end of the season and almost nobody knows he was the murderer".

The there's also the whole thing where it's an animated superhero show not unlike Justice League Unlimited but people die like all the time(Graphically sometimes) and there's a lot of focus on Mark(Invicible) and his family/friends.

It's generally well written and has some really top tier voice talent such as JK simmons involved.

It's kind of hard to describe in a way that captures what makes it interesting.
But its based off the Invincible comics, and in that Omni Man is just a dick. That's the story, its a What If DC spinoff on what would happen if General Zod came to earth instead of Kal-El.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
But its based off the Invincible comics, and in that Omni Man is just a dick. That's the story, its a What If DC spinoff on what would happen if General Zod came to earth instead of Kal-El.
Not exactly. Omni-Man is certainly a very questionable guy who does some heinous shit, but he's not just a dick. It's not like The Boys' Homelander where the entire appeal is what fucked up shit he's gonna do next. The dude does actually have a character arc. And beyond that the story is primarily about his son Mark -- seriously, there's vast chunks of the comic where Omni-Man is just gone. As a matter of fact, he's gone for most of it. So it's more a What If as in 'what if you thought you were the son of Superman, but are actually the son of Zod.'

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Not exactly. Omni-Man is certainly a very questionable guy who does some heinous shit, but he's not just a dick. It's not like The Boys' Homelander where the entire appeal is what fucked up shit he's gonna do next. The dude does actually have a character arc. And beyond that the story is primarily about his son Mark -- seriously, there's vast chunks of the comic where Omni-Man is just gone. As a matter of fact, he's gone for most of it. So it's more a What If as in 'what if you thought you were the son of Superman, but are actually the son of Zod.'
But that still makes is the usual "Superman is a dick" trope that so many other comics do, just from his kid's perspective rather than Batman's.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
But that still makes is the usual "Superman is a dick" trope that so many other comics do, just from his kid's perspective rather than Batman's.
Yeah, in essense, but in execution there's a lot more to it. The story doesn't revolve around Omni-Man and how much more evil he's going to get. Unlike the usual asshole Superman stories it's not about the shock and horror of a positive icon doing evil, or the threat of the most powerful superhero on the planet going bad. The 'Superman is a dick' trope only really surfaces in that one twist, and then it pretty much disappears to be replaced by 'unstoppable, evil empire is slowly headed our way' as an overarching plot.

The comic at least is pretty solely focused on Mark being a superhero and the weird shit he runs into, and it's more comparable to something like One-Punch Man or The Tick (the animated series) in terms of how it celebrates the sheer goofiness of living in a superhero universe. This might be different with the Amazon Prime series, seeing as Homelander from The Boys is so popular that they might choose to put a lot more focus on Omni-Man. Again, I'm not the biggest fan of how the series tries to up the violence and shock factor cuz The Boys.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I've never read the comics so I'm going off what I've seen in the show. So maybe?

I mean, none of it is terribly original, but it somehow works despite that due to solid execution, and it's not nearly as heavy on the misery and cynicism as The Boys is

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Because of YouTube's incessant clip recommendations I went and watched all the clips. After that I was sure the episodes are maybe 15-20 minutes long but damn they're actually over 40 minutes each! Calling it an "adult" animated show is stretching it. The appeal seems to be action figures smashing into one another and bleeding after the hits. Voice acting for the main characters is really well done.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Finished Season 1. So it looks like season 2 is gonna be interesting. Hopefully they don't pull a Mass effect and bungle the endgame where Mark needs to choose from 3 colors to save Earth at the end.

I just realized there's a (very)broad similarity between this and ME's plot, which means an UNSTOPPABLE ALIEN INVASION should be hitting Earth around the time Season 3 hits. If Mark starts hallucinating some random little kid, I'm out.

Also, gonna say that Omniman's little spiel had me going for a minute, then he turns around and makes it very clear it was gonna be backed by genocide and likely slavery. It was implicit and then he made it very explicit considering how casually he destroyed half of chicago.. Which does make me wonder if he didn't know Mark at all or just didn't care to sugarcoat anymore, going with the Everything you know or care about is gonna die tactic. On one hand, since his race seems to have this whole Intergalactic Nazi thing going on but it's not a great recruitment pitch for someone whose friends, family and home you're going to destroy. "Forsake and destroy all you know and love because you have INTERGALACTIC MASTER RACE BLOOD!"

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Finished Season 1. So it looks like season 2 is gonna be interesting. Hopefully they don't pull a Mass effect and bungle the endgame where Mark needs to choose from 3 colors to save Earth at the end.

I just realized there's a (very)broad similarity between this and ME's plot, which means an UNSTOPPABLE ALIEN INVASION should be hitting Earth around the time Season 3 hits. If Mark starts hallucinating some random little kid, I'm out.

Also, gonna say that Omniman's little spiel had me going for a minute, then he turns around and makes it very clear it was gonna be backed by genocide and likely slavery. It was implicit and then he made it very explicit considering how casually he destroyed half of chicago.. Which does make me wonder if he didn't know Mark at all or just didn't care to sugarcoat anymore, going with the Everything you know or care about is gonna die tactic. On one hand, since his race seems to have this whole Intergalactic Nazi thing going on but it's not a great recruitment pitch for someone whose friends, family and home you're going to destroy. "Forsake and destroy all you know and love because you have INTERGALACTIC MASTER RACE BLOOD!"
Omni-man is a flawed and not very complex guy. He spent the first thousand years of his life being indoctrinated into believing the rest of the universe is little more than ants and at best pets so in season he really does believe in everything he says and the only thing that's stopping him is his unwillingness to kill his own kid. There's definitely no levels to him at this point in the story. In a lot of ways Mark is already more of an adult than him through sheer empathetic experiences. Oddly Omni-man lacked the maturity to think of anymore ways to placate mark and so I think he just started lashing out, using threats. It's shown here and there that Marks mom had to teach Omni-man to be an adult or some semblance of one.