Cicadas return after 17years, FDC warns people not to eat them

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So every 17 years or so a very interesting insect called a Cicada esstentially hatches from underground (I think) and pops up all over the place. It's a really unique cycle that I've only seen once before in my life and will likely only get to see once more before I die (again).

But this time around because people like to invent new trends on Tik Tok or whatever, usually involving eating things you probably shouldn't...and in cases like Tide pods you DEFINITELY SHOULDN'T. So shocking probably nobody, people are eating the Cicadas.

Though in an fun made me smile kind of way this is actually pretty safe...sometimes. You see the FDC has issued a warning for people to NOT eat the bugs. https://www.yahoo.com/news/cicadas-related-shrimp-dont-eat-194228206.html

Turns out this bugs are related to Shrimp, and will fuck you up if you have a shrimp allergy. I found this amusing because it comes off as a warning to not eat the bugs as if they are posionous or just dangerous for human comsumption. But no, they are actually pretty tasty when prepared properly apparently. The federal warning just comes as a reminder that these little bastards will trigger shellfish allergies in people. Which is a fair warning because most people eatting them for the lol's on social media these days probably dont remember cicadas from the last time they appeared nearly two decades ago.

Just something that gave me a chuckle. :)

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I'm not going to let big government tell me what to do. People have been eating cicadas since before Columbus washed up on these shores.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not going to let big government tell me what to do. People have been eating cicadas since before Columbus washed up on these shores.
You joke but I do have a feeling this will end up with a decent number of people getting sick from eating them, just because big govment told them not too.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
You joke but I do have a feeling this will end up with a decent number of people getting sick from eating them, just because big govment told them not too.
Here's to hoping we see bug eaters instead of anti maskers from now on.

How allergic can I possibly be, right?
As a great scientist once said: there's only one way to find out.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Just gonna leave this here, just in case wanted another reason not to eat the cicadas.

You're welcome.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
So if I don't have a shrimp allergy, I can eat them. Okay.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
"Oh, hello, you random unknown bug that just flew in my window, I must know what you taste like! Protein!"

Reactions: CM156

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Quick, someone think up a conspiracy theory about how big govrnment is trying to keep people from eating cicadas since they are a natural elixir that will cure covid and low T beta maleness.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Quick, someone think up a conspiracy theory about how big govrnment is trying to keep people from eating cicadas since they are a natural elixir that will cure covid and low T beta maleness.
Or better yet, Giuliani actually hired the cicadas to look into the Cuban lesbians ghosts that voted in Georgia and Pennsylvania and they're gonna overturn the election in time for Trump to take office in August, as per the Q-Anon timeline. You'd have Fox news calling them the most important species to date, and multiple Governors will change their state bird to Patriot Cicadas.

Volguus

May 7, 2021
Isn't there some fungus or something that's killing them all?
A psychadelic that devours their abdomen from back to front, peeling away layers and altering the mating behavior of the cicadas in order to spread faster. Scientists say fewer than 10% are infected by what is turning the cicadas into sex-crazed zombies.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh... this again. Last time these things came around it was a nightmare of a summer with the sound driving me crazy and them just being EVERYWHERE.
Uh oh, Australia gets Cicadas every year, and the Sydney ones are the loudest in the world, so you might have just started a 4 Yorkshiremen thing there.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Don't worry they are related to shrimp, and as long as you know how to cook them, it's fine.