A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Very much so yes. On my end of that spectrum, of seeing basically nothing but veterans at work, and how many of them espouse the chucklefuck rhetoric of the alt-right, it's a depressingly high percentage.

I mean I guess I should be HAPPY that only about 10% had military training, but I do find it odd. I'd be curious to see the combined "military and police service" numbers overall, as there is often a huge overlap there.
The article did mention that there is at least several 100 more arrests that need to be made and that there are people still out there. Expect a least 40 or 60 more of these guys that were in the Army, Navy, or Marines to show up at some point.

Reactions: happyninja42

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Etc, etc, etc. Either of those can possibly show up too; I was just making an example. This would not surprise me.
I know, I was being needlessly pedantic and pointing out the US has a zillion military forces.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Considering that 10% is way above the average of how many US citizens have served in the military it is still a lot. There's also a clear line between buying into MAGA and Stolen Election rhetoric and actually radicalizing to the degree that you are ready to physically do something about it and, for all the glorification of veterans as übermensch, veterans are not inherently more likely to get proactive. A lot of them are probably content with throwing bear cans at their TV and writing angry spiels on Facebook while deluding themselves into thinking that they'd rise up as soon as "the revolution starts for real".
Considering how many maga spouting veterans I deal with on a daily basis, and have been for 14 years, I still find it a low number. The majority of them that walk through my office, are full on, "drank the koolaid" maga spouting, they stole the election ranting assholes.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Look it at like the "two nickels" meme. 10% may not seem like a high number but it's disturbing that it's that high at all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Look it at like the "two nickels" meme. 10% may not seem like a high number but it's disturbing that it's that high at all.
When I show the news to my dad, he was disturbed at how many either serves in the military or police, or formally served that was involved in the Capital riots.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
When I show the news to my dad, he was disturbed at how many either serves in the military or police, or formally served that was involved in the Capital riots.
I guess I just live in a more conservatively skewed area. The majority of people that come through my office, have been spouting that BS rhetoric for years. I just ASSUME that every veteran that comes into my office is a conservative republican, who will start ranting about "the damn dirty libs" at the earliest opportunity. They've literally walked into my fucking office, wearing shirts with statements like "Beware Democrats Pretending To Be Americans" They REVEL in their hatred of anything non-them. They will sit in the waiting room, and wind each other up with more racist, ignorant, bigoted bullshit. I've lost count of how many of them are currently working cops, who come into my office to discuss their benefits, in uniform, with their sidearm, and say ridiculous shit, because the police LOVE hiring ex-military, turning it into this good ole boys club.

To actually run into a veteran, in my line of work, in this state, that is white, and ISN'T a frothing fuckwad when it comes to politics and religion, is the white whale of social interactions here.

So yeah, that's mainly why I am frankly surprised the number isn't higher.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
So yeah, that's mainly why I am frankly surprised the number isn't higher.
As opposed to the number of them who're still active duty, or waiting to re-up, and raring at the opportunity to dump live ammo into the now-inevitable wave of mass unrest once the perfect storm of ending UI expansion, debt moratoriums and the new housing bubble, lifted restrictions in the face of the delta variant, consistent refusal of big businesses to pay living wages, and the all-too-predictable next "cops murder black person in broad daylight with zero consequences" shitstorm, hits the country with full force? Especially in light of the Biden admin playing the "law & order" card preemptively to justify mass police and military power expansion in anticipation of it?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
More news. More rest and that SOB Trump is trying to turn one of the rioters that was killed as a martyr.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
More news. More rest and that SOB Trump is trying to turn one of the rioters that was killed as a martyr.

Isn't she that person the conservative chucklefucks instantly declared to be an antifa when they learned she'd been killed?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Isn't she that person the conservative chucklefucks instantly declared to be an antifa when they learned she'd been killed?
Well, I mean, the people who attacked the capital WERE Antifa. Don't y'know that it was a false flag operation?

(Yes, this is sarcasm.)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No, they declared EVERYONE who stormed the Capital as Antifa and BLM, until obviously no one was buying that and resorted to calling for "unity", until nobody was buying that and now they're acting as if it really wasn't that big a deal so why even bother investigating.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Well, there's nothing like a martyr to rouse the troops.

The US right has decades of practice unfurling parallel narratives about reality for their supporters, that's part of why Trump got so big in the first place. There's always the possibility that the Republican bigwigs are biding their time in the hope Trump gradually sinks into the murk and they can move on, but at least until then they'll be protecting and kowtowing to him.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

The US right has decades of practice unfurling parallel narratives about reality for their supporters, that's part of why Trump got so big in the first place. There's always the possibility that the Republican bigwigs are biding their time in the hope Trump gradually sinks into the murk and they can move on, but at least until then they'll be protecting and kowtowing to him.
If they want the bastard to die they can do that themselves. Get their hands actually dirty and clean up their own freaking mess. No sense of waiting for him to die of old age.

Cowards to the bloody end.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013

Move on to what? Pearle clutchers, bible thumpers, libertarians or *gasp* neoconservatives?

Trump has single-handedly made the republican party completely irrelevant. They will never appeal to such a giant electorate with any single candidate.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Move on to what? Pearle clutchers, bible thumpers, libertarians or *gasp* neoconservatives?
In addition to that, most of them are interchangeable with gun nuts. Nearly all of them are one in the same. That's exactly who Trump was going for to begin with and then some. You really don't get it do you? You're not as clever as you think you are.