The king (Windows 10) is dead, all hail the new king (Windows 11)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well technically windows 7 stopped being supported 2 or 3 years ago since Microsoft stopped putting out security updates for it. Except for firms that payed to have them.
I meant in that games were still being made with Win 7 in mind, rather then later version. But you're right that MS stopped supporting Win 7 a couple years back.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah so apparently Microsoft will indeed not be continuously updating Windows 10 forever. It sounds like right now the plan is to end support for it in 2025. There will be an official on June 24th with more information. But, we do have what is apparently a leaked screen of what the new UI will look like.

I guess Microsoft’s word (no pun) is as solid as water (or Google’s).

As long as it’s an improvement on an already strong foundation it’s fine, but they really need to do something about updates. It seems like every one brings horror stories with it, and I’d imagine it’ll only get worse when the install base is highly fractured again.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I guess Microsoft’s word (no pun) is as solid as water (or Google’s).

As long as it’s an improvement on an already strong foundation it’s fine, but they really need to do something about updates. It seems like every one brings horror stories with it, and I’d imagine it’ll only get worse when the install base is highly fractured again.
Well, since this is a number increase for windows and not just a new version, I'm guessing there is a lot of new stuff under the hood. Which would make sense because a while ago there was a Windows 10 source code leak and maybe they decided it was too hard to do the incremental updates needed to fix potential flaws and just nip everything in the bud and move to a new windows version. I mean this is just speculation, we will know more after their official announcement.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
If past is predicts the future, I predict this will be a disaster followed by Windows 12, which will really be a bug fix of 11. And I'm flabbergasted. I bought the line that Windows 10 would just become Windows. It's just getting patches forever.

If you have security concerns, you do need to keep up with a supported OS.

He says that Windows 10 was to give us free updates forever, which is a business model for... nothing. No one does this. But isn't that what tablet and phone devices have been doing? And last I checked, Umbuntu is free.

Last edited:

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
He says that Windows 10 was to give us free updates forever, which is a business model for... nothing. No one does this. But isn't that what tablet and phone devices have been doing? And last I checked, Umbuntu is free.
Most mobile devices get dropped after a couple of years.

Also, most mobile sellers have sheep out there buying new models at insane mark up prices every fucking year.

Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If past is predicts the future, I predict this will be a disaster followed by Windows 12, which will really be a bug fix of 11. And I'm flabbergasted. I bought the line that Windows 10 would just become Windows. It's just getting patches forever.

If past behavior is any indication then Windows 11 will, at least for a time, be a free upgrade from 10. In fact, Microsoft has been really lacking in enforcement of actually buying Windows 10, unregistered installs still get updates and everything, they just periodically bug you to register them and till they are you really just can't change the wall paper and a few other minor limitations.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I only have Win10 because when I bought my desktop it came with Win8 bundled, and Win8 was the pits, so when MS offered a free upgrade...

My previous employer upgraded from WinXP to Win7 about the time Win8 came out. As far as I know it's still on Win7.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I only have Win10 because when I bought my desktop it came with Win8 bundled, and Win8 was the pits, so when MS offered a free upgrade...

My previous employer upgraded from WinXP to Win7 about the time Win8 came out. As far as I know it's still on Win7.
I had a boss that until a few years ago, had an office computer running Windows 98 SE with the Netscape browser. It couldn't really be used that way anymore. As long as they were using it for simple word processing and calendaring and not going on the Internet, I suppose it could still fulfill its purpose.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I had a boss that until a few years ago, had an office computer running Windows 98 SE with the Netscape browser. It couldn't really be used that way anymore. As long as they were using it for simple word processing and calendaring and not going on the Internet, I suppose it could still fulfill its purpose.
I had a client who had an old win 98 machine since their accounting software was on it. They still have the machine but they finally upgraded their accounting stuff so it works on the new server and OS. Before that she literally had the old 1990s server in her office just so that computer could connect to the accounting database.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

iOS and Android are free yes however there is a life cycle to the devices it’s latest version is compatible with. A 4th Gen iPod Touch I found in my drawer that I booted up for giggles has its iOS version capped at 6.01 or there about. That’s where the money is made. Device sales. And Microsoft make the vast majority of their money from Windows with corporate volume licensing, home use sales - the vast majority of which are done via pre built PC purchases - are small fry in comparison.

Also, sure Ubuntu is free, but it’s also got a rather niche install base and frankly is a pain in the arse for the baseline user.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

No, because with phones people buy new every couple years or so, more or less. I was wondering all along how that would work since Windows 10 update have been an automated clusterf*ck for at least the last couple years it seems. Or at least that’s what we’re led to believe with all the complaints articles (I’ve personally only had a printer issue at work with one of the security updates a few months back that finally got corrected).

Maybe because they skipped 9 it will act as a course correction of sorts. Although it did take a half dozen iterations before switching to a numerical system.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Linus goes over some of the announcements.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Yup, Microsoft seems to be off to a great start ensuring the continuation of the “every other” phenomenon. If they think this will drive hardware sales in an ongoing bloody chip shortage, then a lot of people are getting paid way more than they deserve with this decision.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Yup, Microsoft seems to be off to a great start ensuring the continuation of the “every other” phenomenon. If they think this will drive hardware sales in an ongoing bloody chip shortage, then a lot of people are getting paid way more than they deserve with this decision.
That is a remarkably dishonest article. Pretty much every issue he raises also happened with older OS's. I still remember back when XP was launched, you had a lot of people saying that 64 megs of ram was an unrealistically high amount. Also the cut off date for windows 10 updates isn't till 2025, still 4 years away and that is assuming they don't keep supporting it a bit longer like they did with windows xp and 7.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Have to wonder what's the deal with Microsoft's insistence on TPMs (Trusted Platform Modules). Have they completely given up on trying to secure their code and decided to force users to protect the OS for them? Or is this some DRM scheme where Microsoft wants to firmly tie our identities to our computers?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That is a remarkably dishonest article. Pretty much every issue he raises also happened with older OS's. I still remember back when XP was launched, you had a lot of people saying that 64 megs of ram was an unrealistically high amount. Also the cut off date for windows 10 updates isn't till 2025, still 4 years away and that is assuming they don't keep supporting it a bit longer like they did with windows xp and 7.
Windows 10 (32bit) ran on ancient PC’s that didn’t even use Core2 architecture, at launch. My seventh gen i7 can run pretty much any game on the market, but it won’t be able to (officially) run Windows 11. By the time I’d bother building a new PC that could, it’ll probably be on the eve of a Windows 12 announcement.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Have to wonder what's the deal with Microsoft's insistence on TPMs (Trusted Platform Modules). Have they completely given up on trying to secure their code and decided to force users to protect the OS for them? Or is this some DRM scheme where Microsoft wants to firmly tie our identities to our computers?
Well the other option is to lock down the os like Apple does because users in general have proven to not be good at locking down their stuff.

Windows 10 (32bit) ran on ancient PC’s that didn’t even use Core2 architecture, at launch. My seventh gen i7 can run pretty much any game on the market, but it won’t be able to (officially) run Windows 11. By the time I’d bother building a new PC that could, it’ll probably be on the eve of a Windows 12 announcement.
Like it or not computer technology moves on.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well the other option is to lock down the os like Apple does because users in general have proven to not be good at locking down their stuff.

Like it or not computer technology moves on.
Yes but not to the point where it should require everyone has the most recent hardware.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes but not to the point where it should require everyone has the most recent hardware.
Trusted platform module chips have been around since 2006 and basically any laptop you have bought in the past five to ten years is going to have one. Desktop motherboards will be hit or miss but - as an example - my Asus B550 ROG Strix board doesn’t have the physical chip but the BIOS has an option to turn on a virtualised one which will pass the Windows 11 health check.

This is not an onerous requirement and anyone smart enough to know what they are, if they have have one and refuse on principle to get one is not a helpless lamb. They’re going to be a super user who will survive happily.