Oh Look. He-Man

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Feels a bit off without recreating the "rotoscoped punch directly into the camera" stock shot the original (over)used.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Feels a bit off without recreating the "rotoscoped punch directly into the camera" stock shot the original (over)used.
Saying that, I do kind of want them to do a nod to the old animation, and maybe like, have He-Man get trapped in some loop or something, where he runs the same small track over and over, and so they use the same animation sequence for it. As a joke. And he's like "Wait, ok wtf? I JUST did that! What's going on!?"

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
It’s not like the OG is a high bar to clear.
OG isn't the bar you clear. For He-Man specifically, the bar is the 2002 series. That's still not an especially high bar, but it was at least more competent than the OG series. Of course, if we want to actually hold its feet to the coals with regards to the franchise, the real question should be how will it compare to the 2018 She-Ra series.

Reactions: Satinavian

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
OG isn't the bar you clear. For He-Man specifically, the bar is the 2002 series. That's still not an especially high bar, but it was at least more competent than the OG series. Of course, if we want to actually hold its feet to the coals with regards to the franchise, the real question should be how will it compare to the 2018 She-Ra series.
Eh, She-Ra didn't bother to acknowledge the franchise all that much (which I'm fine with),, other than just the broadest strokes of character concepts, based on the action figures. And no kids playing with the toys gave a flying fuck about being "canon accurate" when smashing their toys together. So I don't really care if it goes it's own way with stuff. In fact I want it to, because really there is no "canon" of the franchise to be loyal to, other than the broadest strokes of names and designs of action figures. Which they seem to be pretty spot on with. So I'm cool with whatever.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean this was back in the 80s, so I don't recall any huge embargo on lighters, as I was a fairly responsible kid at that age, so I didn't raise too many red flags for my parents (that would change around 16). Also they both smoked regularly, so lighters and matches were everywhere, and easy to obtain.
There was no embargo, but like I said, strict and responsible parents. My dad was an on and off my smoker, but did not officially stop until last year.
My mom never smokes and can't (hates smoking anyway) due to a medical condition. The only reason we had lighters or matches in our homes was for the kerosene heater or my mom's spiritual candles. Other than that, fireworks or birthdays.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
There was no embargo, but like I said, strict and responsible parents. My dad was an on and off my smoker, but did not officially stop until last year.
My mom never smokes and can't (hates smoking anyway) due to a medical condition. The only reason we had lighters or matches in our homes was for the kerosene heater or my mom's spiritual candles. Other than that, fireworks or birthdays.
Sorry I meant a parental embargo in my house. I wasn't a wild kid at that age, so they generally weren't really worried about me doing incredibly stupid shit. Plus the simple fact that regular smokers, go through lighters like crazy, so there are always spares lying around, that get overlooked, forgotten, etc. They weren't a huge issue for me, like I said I wasn't a bad kid yet, but if for some reason I needed a lighter, they were easily obtained.

Plus I had been a boy scout for years prior to that, and done martial arts, so I'd already had various weapons training without injury or dismemberment, and actual fire safety training, as well as being really fucking good at safely maintaining campfires and the like. My parents were not worried about me and flame as a general rule, as they were confident that I was, overall, smart enough to behave responsibly.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Eh, She-Ra didn't bother to acknowledge the franchise all that much (which I'm fine with),, other than just the broadest strokes of character concepts, based on the action figures. And no kids playing with the toys gave a flying fuck about being "canon accurate" when smashing their toys together. So I don't really care if it goes it's own way with stuff. In fact I want it to, because really there is no "canon" of the franchise to be loyal to, other than the broadest strokes of names and designs of action figures. Which they seem to be pretty spot on with. So I'm cool with whatever.
I do not mean to suggest anything about the canon accuracy or fidelity to other related series. What I mean is that the 2018 She-Ra series represents the high-point for quality in the greater franchise, while 1980s He-Man represents a low-point. Think of it as "it should strive to be as good or better than 2018 She-Ra was instead of simply trying not to be as bad as 1980s He-Man".

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I do not mean to suggest anything about the canon accuracy or fidelity to other related series. What I mean is that the 2018 She-Ra series represents the high-point for quality in the greater franchise, while 1980s He-Man represents a low-point. Think of it as "it should strive to be as good or better than 2018 She-Ra was instead of simply trying not to be as bad as 1980s He-Man".
I know what you meant, I just don't really feel it's a good idea, or really relevant to compare it to anything prior, just like I don't think comparing She-Ra 2018 to anything prior is very valid. To my mind, the entire franchise is just a collection of ideas and basic archetypes, that is, at best an anthology of weird ass shit. I mean they made the original show to have no continuous story arc, so they could be played in syndication, in any order, and it wouldn't matter. So there's no real "bar" in my opinion. She-Ra 2018 was going for such a totally different tone and vibe, that it should just be considered it's own thing I think. It was a great vibe, but I don't think it really matters for the new He-Man?

In the broad sense of "I want it to be as quality as She-Ra", ok fine, sure I guess, but to me, that's just saying "I want the show to simply be good." How it gets there, and in what tone, is entirely up to it though.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
See I was never much of a He-Man fan. Transformers got its hooks into me deep and early. I’d actually seen (and enjoyed for reasons not clear to me until many more years later) more of original run She-Ra than He-Man.

However I am a fan of the movie they made with Dolph. So with that in mind, a nice groovy mix of Conan the Barbarian and Flash Gordon that presents its epic adventure confidently with a sense of fun and appropriate drama will be I think, a winner.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
As long as they don't get rid of homoeroticism and Skeletor's personality(and voice), it should be good.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As long as they don't get rid of homoeroticism and Skeletor's personality(and voice), it should be good.
Well I mean it's Mark Hamill voicing him so, I feel confident he will be able to capture the lunacy and sass that is Skeletor. While also being sufficiently menacing when necessary.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So I saw a thumnail on YT, that implied the show isn't going to be centered on He-Man, and instead will be focused on one of the female characters. I didn't watch the video, because I'm pretty sure he was some middle aged white dude with a neckbeard, and an ax to grind about nerd shit, so take the accuracy of my statement with a huge grain of salt.

Personally, I'm fine with that, I mean the show is called Masters of the Universe, not He-Man specifically. So if they are making it more of an ensemble show, I'm down with it. The first thing I thought, given the trailer, and this potential direction, is One Punch Man. Where the episodes often focus entirely on everyone else, and then OPM, shows up at the end of the show to clear up the issue with a thwap. But I think of like, the Ocean King story arc from that show. How it's about everyone ELSE trying to stop that fucking fish dude, and how badly they were being destroyed, all while OPM is literally just lost in the freaking streets, trying to figure out what street to take. I was way more invested in Kamen Rider and the others.

So if they use He-Man as the conflict resolution stick at the end, while the rest of the protagonists have the actual struggles and ordeals....yeah, I'm down with it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
saw a thumnail on YT, that implied the show isn't going to be centered on He-Man, and instead will be focused on one of the female characters. I didn't watch the video, because I'm pretty sure he was some middle aged white dude with a neckbeard, and an ax to grind about nerd shit, so take the accuracy of my statement with a huge grain of salt.
Seriously? That's the hill some of these assholes are dying on. Freaking He-Man?! I shouldn't be too surprised by this, because these same idiots were offended and having a biatch fest over the Princess She-Ra solo spin-off, were they actually He-Man cast entirely aside from her. They started whining and crying even more when it became an actual success, and had a bigger audience of more than just the girls. Even though it was intended for them specifically. They couldn't let it go and had to make up stories about how it was a "failure" or downplay the show's success.

Reactions: happyninja42

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
200 (3).gif

I liked it.

Its started out very interesting, was ok for a bit and then the ending was like "fuck yeah!". It was a very odd experience for me. Due to extenuating circumstance I don't remember most of my childhood, just little abstract flashes here and there so when I'd see things I recognized a little lightbulb would go off in my head and I'd remember little bits of when I was I was a toddler playing with the toys, it was nice to remember good things. Like I forgot how much I like the skunk guy toy for some reason and then when I saw the saucer vehicles that brought back a lot. I didn't have all the toys, like I don't really remember any of the toys from Praternia. He-ro man and his gang was news to me.

Nostalgia aside I thought it was pretty cool. Aside from the start and climax being big plot twists it didn't do anything crazy it was just the old cartoon with better writing and animation. It also got a few chuckles out of me. It got me to actually like Orko, which I hated as a kid. I can't compare it to Castlevania because that show had some serious highs and lows in writing and I can't compare it to She-Ra because that was totally experimental and completely it's own thing. This was just an impressive reboot/sequel to the old cartoon.

Looking forward to more.

I kinda want to call out the new Transformers show on netflix which I think just finished its part 3. It's been kind of flying under the radar, but that one is also quite good. It's an adaptation of the modern comics.

On a side note looking at other comments, I'm quite happy to be at a place in my life where I neither notice or care about wokeness. "Omg its strong female characters and Gay stuff" Like does no one realize Ghost in the shell had all this and came out 25 years ago? Grow the fuck up. None of this is new, its just the last thing left for people to complain about. *not calling anyone here out, just annoys me that this stuff even comes up in the media anymore.

Last edited:

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
It's funny how they're taking these roided up muscle chicks seriously (as serious as something like He-Man is) despite them being just meme fuel in 2015 when Overwatch's Zarya and LoL's Illaoi came out. Anyway, no further judgement, for I won't be bothered beyond the sarcastic 10-minute YT video that I just watched.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's writing isn't gonna set the world on fire, but it's serviceable and the story is going in a predictable but interesting direction. I mean, if you've ever bashed a bunch of franchise toys together, you can probably guess most of it, but I still had a good time

I give it one-and-a-half Optimus Primes and eagerly anticipate part 2

Reactions: happyninja42