How do you sleep?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Continuing our tradition of asking each other about random personal habits, how do you sleep?

I'm a side sleeper 99% of the time but I'm trying to see if I can't get myself to sleep on my back and I can't get comfortable without having at least my sheet over my head because otherwise I feel uncomfortable (Comes from my childhood of being scared of things going bump in the night and needing the "protective barrier" of my blanket). As for my clothes, I just do the common shirt and underwear setup, but I have recently started wearing pajama bottoms before getting into bed when it's cold out.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...who says I do sleep?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I sleep on my back. I wear my jammies, except when it's too hot out. I also like pulling the sheets up, which is why I also have socks on in bed (I put on a fresh pair), since having the sheet that high and being pretty tall often leaves my feet bare, and cold feet are no good. As for how well I sleep, that's really more up to the noise levels coming from the other side of the bed. Tho once I manage to conk out, I'm an extremely quiet sleeper. No tossing, nor turning, not a sound. Back when we first started sleeping together, she jostled me awake a few times, thinking something was wrong cuz she couldn't hear me breathe.

Anyway, I need my 8 hours per night and another 8 per day /jk. Whoever keeps me from my Zs will rue the day.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
As a kid, I slept on my stomach, and my dad would do what he called the "Mother Theresa tuck," tucking the blanket tightly around my head so only my face was exposed. It was a comfort thing I took well into my 20s.

Around my 30s, all the heavy lifting I did in my 20s caught up with me and I developed a bad back, so started side sleeping, which led to a lot of tossing and turning, and getting from one side to the other is a multi-step process that was the ire of many a woman that shared a bed with me over the years.

Most recently (past 5 years,) I mostly sleep naked on my back; wearing anything in bed is incredibly uncomfortable, i.e.: pant legs bunching up, shirts tangling with the sheets, etc. My girlfriend sleeps naked with her head on my chest until her body generates enough heat that we separate, usually finding each other a few times throughout the night, spooning or holding each other.

No tossing, nor turning, not a sound. Back when we first started sleeping together, she jostled me awake a few times, thinking something was wrong cuz she couldn't hear me breathe.
This is my gf. She says she's jealous of me because I fall asleep fast (I don't,) but I'm jealous of her because when she does fall asleep, she basically dies. I might fall asleep faster than her, but I'll be awake again within a half hour; "any 3 hours in a row" sleep is a "good" night's sleep for me and incredibly rare. Her? Fuck, I'm still amazed at how I find her in the morning in the same position she took the night previously.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My sleep is sporadic at best, constantly interrupted by back pain (forcing me to sleep on my side between bracing pillows so my muscles can relax and let me sleep), and needy cats who decide to sing me the different songs of their people at different times of the night. One of my kitties woke me up this morning about 30 mins before I normally wake up, with the most heart wrenching mrowl of distress, as he was about to throw up, and wanted mom and dad to help him. Poor little guy sounded so upset before horking all over the floor.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
This is my gf. She says she's jealous of me because I fall asleep fast (I don't,) but I'm jealous of her because when she does fall asleep, she basically dies. I might fall asleep faster than her, but I'll be awake again within a half hour; "any 3 hours in a row" sleep is a "good" night's sleep for me and incredibly rare. Her? Fuck, I'm still amazed at how I find her in the morning in the same position she took the night previously.
Ah, sounds nice. Mine snores. Like, you'd be astounded how loud.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
...the most heart wrenching mrowl of distress, as he was about to throw up...
Ugh, so yet another trait of cats that I initially thought was unique to the one I'm forced to co-habited with. I swear, with all their gross habits and shitty behaviors, it astounds me they're such a common house pet. Like spouses with all the worst spousal habits being something people find desirable: "He doesn't work, drinks too much, cheats on me and beats me; he's perfect! I should go out and get 3 more just like him!"

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Boxers briefs, left side, cotton sheet, terribly because I can't fall asleep til like 1am and always wake up around 6am. Haven't needed and alarm clock in 10 years. It's the altitude. I need to move.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm supposed to sleep on my back, which sometimes I succeed at, but inevitably when I wake up I'm in some random position and my pillows are on the floor. For some sad reason I'm most comfortable sleeping on my right side, which is apparently the side you're never supposed to sleep on. I also pretty much always need to go to sleep listening to WH40k lore from a very specific YouTuber (shoutout to Luetin) or my favorite podcast the Weekly Planet. I set a timer on my phone for 15 minutes to make sure its not playing the whole night, but I usually end up having to extend it to 30 to 45 minutes. Probably a bad habit that I need to shake.

My sleep quality isn't great, despite sleeping for 8 to 9 hours everyday. Which suggests I have sleep apnea, but who the hell knows when I'll be able to get that confirmed. I was about to, after my roommate was woken up and horrified by the sounds of choking coming from my bed, but then the pandemic happened.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
PJ's (Boxers during the summer), used to be a stomach sleeper but now I sleep on my side, right side of the bed, getting about 7-9 hours on average. How I sleep is very sporadic, but it's usually ok

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Huh, the title sounded like it was going to be an accusatory tone like "how the hell do you even sleep at night?" So now my guard is down, I shall say "with great difficulty." "because of the intense guilt from all my crimes!".

Admittedly, the process for obtaining sleep does involve committing a couple of crimes anyway, so it's a vicious circle.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I must say, I'm honestly surprised by the lack of fellow naked sleepers. You don't know what you're missing!

I sleep on my side. I used to get sleep paralysis and for me if seems like it's much worse if you're lying on your back.
Yes, I can attest to this. The feeling of helplessness during an episode of sleep paralysis is compounded when you're prone on your back; at least on your stomach or side you feel a bit more protected from the imagined threats.

Reactions: Breakdown

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
On my side (usually my right side, because if I sleep on my left, for some reason my nasal passages constrict). Briefs under shorts.

I must say, I'm honestly surprised by the lack of fellow naked sleepers. You don't know what you're missing!
I am extremely uncomfortable sleeping naked. The last time I tried (it was REALLY hot and I didn't have the A/C in the window yet), it took me forever to fall asleep, and then all the dreams I had were of being naked in public.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm reading this thread after waking up 2 1/2 hours early so I'm gonna answer, not well. At least right now. But that's shiftwork.

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Badly. I switch back and forth between trying to sleep in a recliner and trying to sleep in bed, changing between the 2 every couple of hours. I miss the days of my youth, when I was an intensely heavy sleeper (my brother drug me out of bed once and I didn't wake up until my head hit the floor.)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I am extremely uncomfortable sleeping naked. The last time I tried (it was REALLY hot and I didn't have the A/C in the window yet), it took me forever to fall asleep, and then all the dreams I had were of being naked in public.
My thing is I move a lot in my sleep, and when I move "right," the covers tug my shirt or shorts "left," and I'm forced adjust, it wakes me up... which I already do enough on my own, so compounding it with clothing fighting my sheets is a no-go for me. Also, it's the constriction; clothes under a sheet and comforter just feel superfluous; I'm covering myself to cover myself, and as a "hot" sleeper, that just isn't a restful situation.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
With difficulty...

On my back, to be less facetious. I'll lie on my back, turn one way, then the other, then back again, then I'll eventually get to a state of sufficient tiredness whereupon I'll lose consciousness, invariably on my back.

My wife sleeps naked, which strikes me as odd, but eh... I have to wear something that covers my torso and groin at least.