Shit's gotten real with McDonald's ice cream machines

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Specifically with "why are they broken down so often and is the proprietary service to fix them a problem"

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah WTF is up with this. I don't think i've ever seen a working McFlurry machine. Which normally I don't care, but every year they do a Shamrock shake that is absolutely amazing......except they can never make the fucking thing cuz the machine aint working.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never bother with frosty, ice cream, or slushie drinks at a McDonalds.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Now, if I recall correctly, the real reason behind this is that their machines go through a sanitizing process a few times during the day, during which the machine runs boiling water through the system to kill bacteria (don't know how true that is though, just something I've heard on the internet).

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah, they've got a 4 hour automated sanitation procedure they go through every night. When something fucks up, the machine goes down and they need a proprietary maintenance service to come out and service/reset it.

I think the issue is that it's a single specific company that does it and franchises cannot get anybody else for service. The maintenance is deliberately kept secret on a corporate level. Runs into Right of Repair issues, which is probably what the FCC is looking at

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My question is: who goes to McDonald's for the ice cream? I haven't had their ice cream since I was a child. When their French fry machines start going down, THEN start making YouTube videos, because then we'll have a REAL problem.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
My question is: who goes to McDonald's for the ice cream? I haven't had their ice cream since I was a child. When their French fry machines start going down, THEN start making YouTube videos, because then we'll have a REAL problem.
I love the mcflurry. To be honest I like all sort of ice cream but soft ice cream really has to come from a machine. Typical mcdonald meal for me would be fries, nuggets, big mac and mcflurry :giggle: (y)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I love the mcflurry. To be honest I like all sort of ice cream but soft ice cream really has to come from a machine. Typical mcdonald meal for me would be fries, nuggets, big mac and mcflurry
Never even had a McFlurry because I don't go to McDonald's for much else except the fries. I'll order nuggets or the occasional fish sandwich to go with because I don't want to be that sociopath who goes through the drive-thru and orders nothing but a large fry. For my ice cream needs, I defer to establishments that specialize in it like Braum's or Dairy Queen.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I've never seen a McFlurry machine not in operation. Maybe it's because I'm from the UK.
Sometimes I want ice cream after going to the job centre and McDonalds is the only place that sells soft serve in that town.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Must be an American thing.
Probably. Our economy is basically built on "FOMO" (fear of missing out,) so making something incidentally exclusive will bring people out in droves. You can tell by the fact that fast food chains have "limited time only" items that are largely shit, but massively popular.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah, probably an American thing. In my country some McDonald's stores have their own little building outside just for desserts and drinks. When we were still having face to face classes, we had one of those dessert stalls literally 20 steps away from my dorm. I definitely had way too many McFlurries. Good times.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Hey well, thanks to Brexit disrupting supply lines, here in the UK McDs milkshakes are another thing that's become unavailable.

There's a chance we'll also run out of cans for soft drinks, which I doubt will please Coca-Cola etc.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Good lord, you know shit's gone south when you're running out of aluminum cans

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I thought this was going to be about people finding razor blades in their ice cream or something like that...

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Yeah, they've got a 4 hour automated sanitation procedure they go through every night. When something fucks up, the machine goes down and they need a proprietary maintenance service to come out and service/reset it.
It seems deranged that there's a special process for a machine that transfers a slurry mix from a big pot to a little pot. The ice cream dispenser in Pizza Hut is never broken, and that thing gets used by the public.

When their French fry machines start going down, THEN start making YouTube videos, because then we'll have a REAL problem.
I'm not even sure a big bucket of oil can break down.

Good lord, you know shit's gone south when you're running out of aluminum cans
They should look in my recycling bin, absolutely loads of them in there. Quite a few slugs too, mind.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Here in México I haven't had troubles with the McFlurry machine, however I don't go to McDonalds very often at all, I mean basically only when one of my friends want to go, which is very rarely, so maybe I've just been lucky.