Gena Davis institute on Gender in media tries to link violent games to mass shootings and police violence

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And you proudly declared how you blocked me and had no wish to engage with anything I have to say yet here you are in this thread. What's wrong just want to stand gossiping about how awful another poster is to stir the shit but not willing to actually be challenged to argue anymore? Just wanting to preach how bad I am?
I don't need to do that. You've already done that more than enough yourself. Says the one who's been nothing, but goal posting for the whole entire thread.

No I'm calling you out on your bullshit.
You know where the door is if you don't want to contribute anything of substance to the thread. Funny how in thread you've made you object to people contributing side commentary.
At least I keep my threads on topic, and don't derail shit that has nothing to do with anything nor make a big deal out of something that is not that serious or worth crying about. Your thread has not been about the title subject matter since the 5th or 6th page. Everything else has been you about complaining and falsely accusing how "ALL WOMEN ARE COMING TO CENSOR OUR GAMES AND TAKE OUR TITTIES AND ASSES AWAY!". Or trying to constantly "stick it" to the "SJWs". Downplaying the negative aspects of gamer culture and how they've treated women and minorities. Downplaying how they've been depicted in gaming. You have no high horse to even sit on, because it ditched you due to having actual common sense. This thread is nothing, but one big joke wasting everyone's time. Because you've been derailing your own thread the entire time.

"You got nothin' and nothin's got you,
I can see your fear, it surrounds you,
Built with strife and insight, but it’s not enough,
I'll defeat and discreet your every move..."

This bears repeating one last time:

This thread has taken many weird turns.
What is real, and what is fake?
Obsessing over things that will never meant to be or fickle things.
What it means to be a "true, real, or pro gamer."
I know a way to end that cycle.
Want to know how?
Get rid of all that.
Kill the "pro" gamer.
Kill the "real" gamer.
Kill the "true" gamer.
Kill the "hardcore" gamer.
Kill the past.
Play and do the things that make you happy, without going out of your way to hurt others.
Ignore senseless foolishness.
Either teach them better, or ignore them if they can't be reason. Better yet, call them out.
Your past, present, and future will be all the better for it.
I'll be seeing you next time.
We will meet again in the past.

*Mic drop*
Brawlman is out!

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Funny how none I could post will count.
Lmao, sorry that I'm not counting a person who thinks Bayonetta isn't being censored and a joke account for your "calls to censor Bayonetta" argument.
Oh look

it's taking a step further along from

But I'm guessing none of these will count as valid enough sources or will be dismissed one way or another.
No, Sony's been weird about that for a bit, it's true, though it's still been 95% aimed at sexy high school girls. The "so it can be live-streamed" argument is actually kinda valid though: Granblue Fantasy Versus slightly changed a couple default outfits to make esports more likely to be put on the TV and vtubers routinely have to have advanced warning of certain scenes in order to avoid demonetization.
In the former's case, the change amounted to "sexy anime lady is now wearing a bikini instead of a thong" so pardon me if I don't light the beacons for aid.
Why when it's clear to anyone with eyes a change was made and likely to appease certain loud groups.
Okay, but that's not proof, that's a theory based on "anytime less panty means censorship" for iterations of the franchise with the best sales it's ever had.
Yeh shame you didn't manage any of the far better titles that don't rely on this BS

Ticket to Earth
The Devil's Attorney
Space Team
Monument Valley
Knights of Pen and Paper +1
Slayaway Camp
Detective Grimoire
Red Dwarf XI
Red Dwarf XII
Judge Dredd: Countdown Sec 106
Chainsaw Warrior
Joe Dever's Lone Wolf
Oh look, quality games released on phones! Guess that makes mobile games real games and mobile gamers real gamers!
Ok so considering your argument I take it is there is no difference then why aren't more women playing consoles again?
A) that number's been increasing steadily over the years
B) You just helped prove that mobile games are real games so it doesn't really matter
*Points to Olympic Athletes who literally are training and competing all the time*
That's my evidence on context. Guess all of them have eating disorders too?
If Marvel started employing Olympic athletes, they'd have significantly more body fat and the diets wouldn't be 6 week crash courses. That's not a refutation.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Here's the same set (Lofty Plate/ Glorious Plate) on male & female;

View attachment 4648

Here's the Jade Set on male & female;

View attachment 4649

Wild/Warmongering Gladiator's tunic (just the top);

View attachment 4652View attachment 4653

Escapist will only let me attach a few files, so I'll continue in another post for the Guild Wars comparison.
Considering you implied they're named different even if equivalent it seems like they are actually different sets.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Because the comparison proves that cultural depictions can have a significant influence on perception.
Yet it doesn't because propaganda breaks down quickly without constant reinforcement

No inconsistency, because I literally never said depictions of sexy women are bad. You read that in.
yet you object to depictions in games that basically have becoming known for sexy women in them.......

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Lmao, sorry that I'm not counting a person who thinks Bayonetta isn't being censored and a joke account for your "calls to censor Bayonetta" argument.
An apparently thinking everyone who had objections to Bayonetta previously suddenly must have had a change of heart.

No, Sony's been weird about that for a bit, it's true, though it's still been 95% aimed at sexy high school girls. The "so it can be live-streamed" argument is actually kinda valid though: Granblue Fantasy Versus slightly changed a couple default outfits to make esports more likely to be put on the TV and vtubers routinely have to have advanced warning of certain scenes in order to avoid demonetization.
In the former's case, the change amounted to "sexy anime lady is now wearing a bikini instead of a thong" so pardon me if I don't light the beacons for aid.
Yeh no, it's not only been sexy high school girls.
The whole "Changing it so it can be on TV" angle is silly considering Beach Volleyball exists as a sport. It says more about the growing prudishness of the present times that outfits are being changed for regular TV. Meanwhile on premium TV we not that long ago had Game of Thrones which took off in part thanks to all the sex and violence it was willing to put on screen that others shows weren't. It makes me laugh because we're going back to an attitude where once again The Avengers episode "A Touch of Brimstone" would be seen as unfit for TV because of the "Queen of Sin" outfit a character wears in it.
MV5BOTdkODA4OTQtMzE0MC00OTMwLWE1NjAtYTk3MjA4MjdkMjg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjc0ODQ0NzM@._V1_ (1).jpg

Okay, but that's not proof, that's a theory based on "anytime less panty means censorship" for iterations of the franchise with the best sales it's ever had.
Circumstantial evidence.

Oh look, quality games released on phones! Guess that makes mobile games real games and mobile gamers real gamers!
Yes and they make up the minority of games and not the mainly popular games which is kind of part of my point lol

A) that number's been increasing steadily over the years
B) You just helped prove that mobile games are real games so it doesn't really matter
A) Number maybe but it's % that matters which so far I'm seeing no evidence of
B) And most of the ones I listed aren't the popular mobile games nor I'd wager seeing the massive female playerbases other games are like Candy Crush which has a massive female audience for it.

If Marvel started employing Olympic athletes, they'd have significantly more body fat and the diets wouldn't be 6 week crash courses. That's not a refutation.
Entirely depends on which sports they compete in there.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
An apparently thinking everyone who had objections to Bayonetta previously suddenly must have had a change of heart.
A) You said "growing"
B) They haven't weighed in, so maybe
Yeh no, it's not only been sexy high school girls.
The whole "Changing it so it can be on TV" angle is silly considering Beach Volleyball exists as a sport.
Funny you should mention that:
Those poor prudish gals, wanting to censor themselves
It says more about the growing prudishness of the present times that outfits are being changed for regular TV. Meanwhile on premium TV we not that long ago had Game of Thrones which took off in part thanks to all the sex and violence it was willing to put on screen that others shows weren't. It makes me laugh because we're going back to an attitude where once again The Avengers episode "A Touch of Brimstone" would be seen as unfit for TV because of the "Queen of Sin" outfit a character wears in it.
View attachment 4657
Lmao, the fuck is that argument? "Look at the growing prudishness of TV, Game of Thrones was a smash hit!" Meanwhile, the actual changes:
F551658E-808C-4666-95A7-C7F74B490B56.jpeg9575EAFF-367A-489D-9681-E825641BCE4F.jpeg

4E59F9E6-4FF8-4C1A-BBB7-EB44FE3381DC.jpeg2072E9FA-C64C-49D7-9E73-316EAB0DBF61.jpeg
Pardon me for not really seeing the issue. Almost literally, my eyes aren't great
Circumstantial evidence.
Lmao, your source for "Capcom censored the game to appease the feminists" is "dude, trust me"
Yes and they make up the minority of games and not the mainly popular games which is kind of part of my point lol
So are we judging games based entirely on the micro transaction and lootbox based AAAA monstrosities, Minecraft, and Fortnight?
A) Number maybe but it's % that matters which so far I'm seeing no evidence of
B) And most of the ones I listed aren't the popular mobile games nor I'd wager seeing the massive female playerbases other games are like Candy Crush which has a massive female audience for it.
"I'd wager" is your sole source and method of argumentation.
Are puzzle games not games? What metric are you using for "real games" that would deny Candy Crush but allow for Tetris? Is Tetris not a real game?
Entirely depends on which sports they compete in there.
True, we should probably have a conversation based on young kids permanently changing how their body works for sport, particularly around sports like gymnastics.
But that's still far, far different than the Marvel model and far less dangerous in general

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
A) You said "growing"
B) They haven't weighed in, so maybe
A) yes it would still be growing
B) No indication of any change

Funny you should mention that:
Those poor prudish gals, wanting to censor themselves
Welcome to a sign of the times.

Lmao, the fuck is that argument? "Look at the growing prudishness of TV, Game of Thrones was a smash hit!" Meanwhile, the actual changes:
Pardon me for not really seeing the issue. Almost literally, my eyes aren't great
So if it's not a big deal why did the changes have to be made again?

Lmao, your source for "Capcom censored the game to appease the feminists" is "dude, trust me"
And present circumstances.

So are we judging games based entirely on the micro transaction and lootbox based AAAA monstrosities, Minecraft, and Fortnight?
And yet they're still far less scummy than mobile games most of the time.

"I'd wager" is your sole source and method of argumentation.
Are puzzle games not games? What metric are you using for "real games" that would deny Candy Crush but allow for Tetris? Is Tetris not a real game?
A) No because the ESA's numbers broke down who played on what mostly by % and the data is out there.
B) I think counting Candy Crush as a puzzle game is a dis-service to puzzle games considering some of the design of Candy Crush means it's impossible to win sometimes to force people to retry levels or spend more for extra moves etc. So again pretty different audiences and different types of games.

True, we should probably have a conversation based on young kids permanently changing how their body works for sport, particularly around sports like gymnastics.
But that's still far, far different than the Marvel model and far less dangerous in general
The way they pull it off may be dangerous for the actors but the image itself based on the perception of the job the character does not so much from a cultural context.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
A) yes it would still be growing
B) No indication of any change
Lmao, you've found literally zero examples of people calling for Bayonetta 3 to be censored
Welcome to a sign of the times.
What sign? You're just making shit up and hoping it works out if other people try and fact check you. Are you seriously arguing that women's sports teams should be forced to wear bikinis in sports when they don't want to, and then using those forced bikinis as an example of okay sexualization because the TV shows it?
So if it's not a big deal why did the changes have to be made again?
I'd imagine porting over the 480p texture model would've looked terrible in 4K, for starters.
And present circumstances.
They redesigned a lot of characters, if you hadn't noticed.
And yet they're still far less scummy than mobile games most of the time.
It is literally the same monetization scheme, only on top of a $60 base price
A) No because the ESA's numbers broke down who played on what mostly by % and the data is out there.
B) I think counting Candy Crush as a puzzle game is a dis-service to puzzle games considering some of the design of Candy Crush means it's impossible to win sometimes to force people to retry levels or spend more for extra moves etc. So again pretty different audiences and different types of games.
Alright, so scummy singular example aside, phone puzzle games are just as valid as handheld puzzle games? Games are games, regardless of platform, and defining people as "not real gamers" because they play on a phone is just as stupid as the old console wars?

The way they pull it off may be dangerous for the actors but the image itself based on the perception of the job the character does not so much from a cultural context.
Dunno if you know this, but the Super Soldier Serum doesn't actually exist in real life. Captain American having 10% body fat wouldn't change anything besides keeping people somewhat healthy when working out.
But you are right: PULLING OFF THAT LOOK IS DANGEROUS FOR THE PEOPLE WANTING TO LOOK LIKE THAT. THAT IS THE ENTIRE FUCKING ARGUMENT, YOU COMPLETE FUCKING MELON

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Considering you implied they're named different even if equivalent it seems like they are actually different sets.
They're the same sets, as anyone who has played the game can attest. Or it would take you about 5 minutes to check. I said "Lofty/Glorious plate" because Lofty is a recolour of Glorious. "Wild Gladiator" and "Warmongering Gladiator" are also the same skin, with a recolour.

You going to actually address it now, or d'you have another deflection to pull out of your ass?

Yet it doesn't because propaganda breaks down quickly without constant reinforcement
Hence why the constant reinforcement of certain cultural depictions of women has an ongoing effect.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
As a corollary: in FF14, on the rare occasions that armor sets are noticeably distinct, the fanbase gets mad that the male version isn't slutty enough.

Applies to races too, hence bunny boys being added in the next expansion.

It's not the slutty that's bad for the most part, it's the double standard

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I don't need to do that. You've already done that more than enough yourself. Says the one who's been nothing, but goal posting for the whole entire thread.
Yeh so what do you call your little bit of running commentary?

At least I keep my threads on topic, and don't derail shit that has nothing to do with anything nor make a big deal out of something that is not that serious or worth crying about. Your thread has not been about the title subject matter since the 5th or 6th page.
Except all those times you have.

Everything else has been you about complaining and falsely accusing how "ALL WOMEN ARE COMING TO CENSOR OUR GAMES AND TAKE OUR TITTIES AND ASSES AWAY!". Or trying to constantly "stick it" to the "SJWs". Downplaying the negative aspects of gamer culture and how they've treated women and minorities.
Funny because gaming may be one of the few industries where you can stir up a controversy about digital rape against one of the major players and then end up with a writing gig in the industry to rework a classic game........Funny how badly it treats women.

Or how about being an open racist on twitter like the writer for Mass Effect Andromeda? How nasty gaming is to minorities eh?

Downplaying how they've been depicted in gaming. You have no high horse to even sit on, because it ditched you due to having actual common sense. This thread is nothing, but one big joke wasting everyone's time. Because you've been derailing your own thread the entire time.
Is this going to be one of those narratives because despite one of the Earliest black characters in gaming (when you could actually tell a characters race and it was entering the 3D era) was a black woman cop lol

"You got nothin' and nothin's got you,
I can see your fear, it surrounds you,
Built with strife and insight, but it’s not enough,
I'll defeat and discreet your every move..."

This bears repeating one last time:

This thread has taken many weird turns.
What is real, and what is fake?
Obsessing over things that will never meant to be or fickle things.
What it means to be a "true, real, or pro gamer."
I know a way to end that cycle.
Want to know how?
Get rid of all that.
Kill the "pro" gamer.
Kill the "real" gamer.
Kill the "true" gamer.
Kill the "hardcore" gamer.
Kill the past.
Play and do the things that make you happy, without going out of your way to hurt others.
Ignore senseless foolishness.
Either teach them better, or ignore them if they can't be reason. Better yet, call them out.
Your past, present, and future will be all the better for it.
I'll be seeing you next time.
We will meet again in the past.

*Mic drop*
Brawlman is out!
So call them out but I'm not allowed to call out BS, got it.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Lmao, you've found literally zero examples of people calling for Bayonetta 3 to be censored
1, which you deemed a troll so not valid based on I don't know you not having any other way to dismiss it presumably and no actual evidence at least none you presented.

What sign? You're just making shit up and hoping it works out if other people try and fact check you. Are you seriously arguing that women's sports teams should be forced to wear bikinis in sports when they don't want to, and then using those forced bikinis as an example of okay sexualization because the TV shows it?
No just the general war on sexy and being seen as sexy being some bad evil thing.

I'd imagine porting over the 480p texture model would've looked terrible in 4K, for starters.
So do a new model which is what they did but base it on the original design which they didn't

They redesigned a lot of characters, if you hadn't noticed.
Yeh but kept most of the same elements.

It is literally the same monetization scheme, only on top of a $60 base price
Nope

Alright, so scummy singular example aside, phone puzzle games are just as valid as handheld puzzle games? Games are games, regardless of platform, and defining people as "not real gamers" because they play on a phone is just as stupid as the old console wars?
Games are games but that's like saying sailing and surfing are the same because they're both water sports.

Different design philosophies are needed due to the platfoms because mobile is inherently different and it shows in what takes off there and what doesn't. It's quite a different industry as EA has found out with the fact they've only managed 1 hit really in the mobile space.

Dunno if you know this, but the Super Soldier Serum doesn't actually exist in real life. Captain American having 10% body fat wouldn't change anything besides keeping people somewhat healthy when working out.
But you are right: PULLING OFF THAT LOOK IS DANGEROUS FOR THE PEOPLE WANTING TO LOOK LIKE THAT. THAT IS THE ENTIRE FUCKING ARGUMENT, YOU COMPLETE FUCKING MELON
And yet I'd still argue because Captain America and others are meant to be ready and active heroes who are either saving the world or training it fits their character and isn't unhealthy as such not like say a character somehow keeping the same fitness as a peak condition competition ready body builder despite 2 months on the road without a proper diet or gym to maintain that look.........

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
They're the same sets, as anyone who has played the game can attest. Or it would take you about 5 minutes to check. I said "Lofty/Glorious plate" because Lofty is a recolour of Glorious. "Wild Gladiator" and "Warmongering Gladiator" are also the same skin, with a recolour.

You going to actually address it now, or d'you have another deflection to pull out of your ass?
I'll file it in the "You have a point here there should be sexy and non sexy versions for men and women"

Hence why the constant reinforcement of certain cultural depictions of women has an ongoing effect.
Yet it's very much not constant unless you look into the rabbit hole of horny twitter and that's just as likely to be Slash fiction of a male lets player or Tony the Tiger as it is to be involving a woman. hell based on certain fandom archives it could be said to actually lean more towards sexualising male characters

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'll file it in the "You have a point here there should be sexy and non sexy versions for men and women"
Can I also take this as acknowledgement that male & female characters are treated significantly differently by armour designers? That there is not, currently, equivalence?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Dwarvenhobble, I pretty much ignored your recent comment, because no matter what I post, you're going to ignore it, villainize , or just extend the goal post no matter what my response is. So I pretty much ignored you at this point. You have fun being miserable about women trying to take away our games or whatever dumb bull crap nonsense you can think of. As for everyone else, I don't know why you even bother responding to him at this point. He does the same crap over and over again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avnger

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
1, which you deemed a troll so not valid based on I don't know you not having any other way to dismiss it presumably and no actual evidence at least none you presented.
That part's quite simple actually: I just looked at the rest of their account. But hey, trying to say that a rising tide of calls for the censorship of Bayonetta 3 is one (1) tweet on the entirety of Twitter, home of bad takes, made before the trailer was out
No just the general war on sexy and being seen as sexy being some bad evil thing.
Not wanting to be forced to wear bikinis to sport is the new censorship? Like, they ain't forcing the dudes to wear speedos.

What's next, mandating how low tops have to be cut to avoid prudishness? You know, to make sure women don't voluntarily choose the wrong clothes and censor themselves?
So do a new model which is what they did but base it on the original design which they didn't

Yeh but kept most of the same elements.
Bifurcated legs isn't the huge design change you think it is
Lmao

Games are games but that's like saying sailing and surfing are the same because they're both water sports.

Different design philosophies are needed due to the platfoms because mobile is inherently different and it shows in what takes off there and what doesn't. It's quite a different industry as EA has found out with the fact they've only managed 1 hit really in the mobile space.
EA "only" managed one hit? EA, the talentless hacks coasting by on nostalgia and exclusive licenses "only" managed one hit mobile game? As opposed to what, their universally beloved console games? Lmao

This shit is 10 degrees off "the Nintendo switch isn't real gaming because it's not 60fps 4K". I'd say "I can't believe the hair you're splitting is making sure games run on the platform they're designed on", but you gave me a list of good, non-gacha games that somehow don't count as games

And yet I'd still argue because Captain America and others are meant to be ready and active heroes who are either saving the world or training it fits their character and isn't unhealthy as such not like say a character somehow keeping the same fitness as a peak condition competition ready body builder despite 2 months on the road without a proper diet or gym to maintain that look.........
Sure, it's probably not unhealthy for Super Serum Enhanced Captain America to have that body type, but it's sure as fuck hard on professional actor Chris Evans. Who gives a shit if it's bad for the fictional character? "It's perfectly natural for Zombie Girl to have her limbs fall off, I don't know why you think amputating Zendaya was a bad thing"

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
@Dwarvenhobble, I pretty much ignored your recent comment, because no matter what I post, you're going to ignore it, villainize , or just extend the golal post no matter what my response is. So I pretty much ignored you at this point. You have fun being miserable about women trying to take away our games or whatever dumb bull crap nonsense you can think of. As for everyone else, I don't know why you even bother responding to him at this point. He does the same crap over and over again.
If you're not here to at least read and try and engage in good faith and instead want to play at being Statler and Waldorf, find some-where else to do it because it's quite clear you're projecting hard as whatever I say you already believe to know better and won't accept anything else anyway and are admitting as much.