Gena Davis institute on Gender in media tries to link violent games to mass shootings and police violence

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That part's quite simple actually: I just looked at the rest of their account. But hey, trying to say that a rising tide of calls for the censorship of Bayonetta 3 is one (1) tweet on the entirety of Twitter, home of bad takes, made before the trailer was out
Right and they couldn't possibly just be a person who actually believes the crap they spout right?

Not wanting to be forced to wear bikinis to sport is the new censorship? Like, they ain't forcing the dudes to wear speedos.
There probably actually are rules for dudes playing the sport at the Olympics too though no Speedos but I dunno no shirts to something. Also while it's their choice to want to wear something else it says something about the world as I said before that people are so worried about being seen as sexy for some reason. It's weird like "Oh no people might see me and because I'm sexy think I'm a slut and look down on me for it" or some weird thing like that.

We gone from "Slut walks" back to almost "Slut shaming" again and people are pretending it's some great progress?

What's next, mandating how low tops have to be cut to avoid prudishness? You know, to make sure women don't voluntarily choose the wrong clothes and censor themselves?
No I'll leave that to France but I do think there needs to be some kind of conversation about the weird approach going on towards pushing prudishness

And why did they have to ban them again mostly? Oh yeh mobile games.

EA "only" managed one hit? EA, the talentless hacks coasting by on nostalgia and exclusive licenses "only" managed one hit mobile game? As opposed to what, their universally beloved console games? Lmao
Considering how much Fifa makes each yet that's a hit. Same with Battlefield except for 5. Apex Legends is a hit, Pretty sure I heard Mass Effect Legendary Edition was a hit too.

Meanwhile EA's only really profitable mobile title was The Simpsons tapped out.

This shit is 10 degrees off "the Nintendo switch isn't real gaming because it's not 60fps 4K". I'd say "I can't believe the hair you're splitting is making sure games run on the platform they're designed on", but you gave me a list of good, non-gacha games that somehow don't count as games
Are you really arguing phone games aren't designed inherently differently to more core games?

I did give you a list of games but you know what, most of them have been ported to other systems or were ports from other systems or used design sensibilities of other systems rather than mobile. Even Nintendo Switch games are designed different to mobile with them being designed more for longer play sessions rather than somewhat quick dopamine hits

Sure, it's probably not unhealthy for Super Serum Enhanced Captain America to have that body type, but it's sure as fuck hard on professional actor Chris Evans. Who gives a shit if it's bad for the fictional character? "It's perfectly natural for Zombie Girl to have her limbs fall off, I don't know why you think amputating Zendaya was a bad thing"
Here's the issue.
You were arguing showing said bodytype was unhealthy.
Not that having to have people actually pull off that body type when they are from a somewhat different field is unhealthy. Like you rally wanna go tell Dwayne Johnson he's unhealthy when dude apparently seems to be very much fine doing body building and maintaining it rather than the crash died / express bulking plans some actors may use because that's something he enjoys doing to and or is used to doing.

In the past for Swords and Sandals stuff they just hired strongmen and professional body builders for the roles.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Right and they couldn't possibly just be a person who actually believes the crap they spout right?
I'm not that credulous, no
There probably actually are rules for dudes playing the sport at the Olympics too though no Speedos but I dunno no shirts to something. Also while it's their choice to want to wear something else it says something about the world as I said before that people are so worried about being seen as sexy for some reason. It's weird like "Oh no people might see me and because I'm sexy think I'm a slut and look down on me for it" or some weird thing like that.
"There are probably"
You can actually look, ************. It's public knowledge.
7D90DA9F-FCC4-4F47-84CE-A061D8A861D3.jpeg
We gone from "Slut walks" back to almost "Slut shaming" again and people are pretending it's some great progress?
Who the fuck's slut shaming? Why do you have to invent weird thought processes to explain "some people don't want to wear bikinis to play sports"? They aren't saying nobody should wear bikinis if they want to, they resent being forced to by old dudes who care more for their players being sexy than their comfort

No I'll leave that to France but I do think there needs to be some kind of conversation about the weird approach going on towards pushing prudishness
Lmao "If you don't wear the uniform picked out for you by old dudes who want you to be sexy, you're a prude". Shit dude, half your arguments about sexy videogame characters rely on "but what if she wants to dress sexy, it's empowering" and here's a real life example of women being forced to dress sexy and you're calling them slut shaming prudes for not wanting to.
And why did they have to ban them again mostly? Oh yeh mobile games.

Considering how much Fifa makes each yet that's a hit. Same with Battlefield except for 5. Apex Legends is a hit, Pretty sure I heard Mass Effect Legendary Edition was a hit too.

Meanwhile EA's only really profitable mobile title was The Simpsons tapped out.
Lmao, 3/4ths of your examples are micro transaction driven lootbox hellholes, and that's only because the Mass Effect Legendary Edition cut the multiplayer
Are you really arguing phone games aren't designed inherently differently to more core games?

I did give you a list of games but you know what, most of them have been ported to other systems or were ports from other systems or used design sensibilities of other systems rather than mobile. Even Nintendo Switch games are designed different to mobile with them being designed more for longer play sessions rather than somewhat quick dopamine hits
Sure, games are designed to fit the form factor. Nintendo Switch games are built different than 3ds games are built different than PS5 games are built different than Pc games.

Doesn't make them not games.

Here's the issue.
You were arguing showing said bodytype was unhealthy.
Not that having to have people actually pull off that body type when they are from a somewhat different field is unhealthy. Like you rally wanna go tell Dwayne Johnson he's unhealthy when dude apparently seems to be very much fine doing body building and maintaining it rather than the crash died / express bulking plans some actors may use because that's something he enjoys doing to and or is used to doing.

In the past for Swords and Sandals stuff they just hired strongmen and professional body builders for the roles.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I'm not that credulous, no
This is the internet remember.......

"There are probably"
You can actually look, ************. It's public knowledge.
View attachment 4678
Ok then no long trousers or shirts with sleeves I dunno lol

Who the fuck's slut shaming? Why do you have to invent weird thought processes to explain "some people don't want to wear bikinis to play sports"? They aren't saying nobody should wear bikinis if they want to, they resent being forced to by old dudes who care more for their players being sexy than their comfort
People going after sexy video game characters because it's allowed and they get to slut shame by proxy without being called out over it.
Pretty sure Joss Wheddon happily supported the push against sexualised women in media at one point......... and we all kinda know what happened there. They may not want to wear them for fear of how they will be perceived for doing so. It's a weird attitude I just don't get where if a woman is sexy she somehow can't be seen as anything else too or it somehow over-ride everything when it really doesn't at least not to me.

Lmao "If you don't wear the uniform picked out for you by old dudes who want you to be sexy, you're a prude". Shit dude, half your arguments about sexy videogame characters rely on "but what if she wants to dress sexy, it's empowering" and here's a real life example of women being forced to dress sexy and you're calling them slut shaming prudes for not wanting to.
No I'm saying they're concerned by the reactions of prude towards it.

Lmao, 3/4ths of your examples are micro transaction driven lootbox hellholes, and that's only because the Mass Effect Legendary Edition cut the multiplayer
Sure, games are designed to fit the form factor. Nintendo Switch games are built different than 3ds games are built different than PS5 games are built different than Pc games.
They're really not they just in a number of cases sell the game in episodes rather than as the full thing in one go (which they also do have options for) also unless the mobile versions are vastly different (some of them I played the ports of on PC) then they really don't feature the kind of stuff you're on about.

Doesn't make them not games.
Same as how Surfing is still as much a water sport as Sailing but they're very different things.

As I said that's the standard required for the actor to do and there are probably different ways to do it but the way the business pushes for is the bad way.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
This is the internet remember.......
Standard reminder that that's literally the only example anybody could find

Ok then no long trousers or shirts with sleeves I dunno lol

People going after sexy video game characters because it's allowed and they get to slut shame by proxy without being called out over it.
Pretty sure Joss Wheddon happily supported the push against sexualised women in media at one point......... and we all kinda know what happened there. They may not want to wear them for fear of how they will be perceived for doing so. It's a weird attitude I just don't get where if a woman is sexy she somehow can't be seen as anything else too or it somehow over-ride everything when it really doesn't at least not to me.

No I'm saying they're concerned by the reactions of prude towards it.
Yes, I'm sure you know those women better than they know themselves. It's a good thing you are here to speak for them, to save them from their slut shaming and prudish ways and determine what they should and should not wear.
They're really not they just in a number of cases sell the game in episodes rather than as the full thing in one go (which they also do have options for) also unless the mobile versions are vastly different (some of them I played the ports of on PC) then they really don't feature the kind of stuff you're on about.
Lmao,

Same as how Surfing is still as much a water sport as Sailing but they're very different things.
"Tetris on a computer: Game. Tetris on a phone: Not Game, doesn't count"
As I said that's the standard required for the actor to do and there are probably different ways to do it but the way the business pushes for is the bad way.
Yes, the punch to get these bodies in a short amount of time regardless of natural builds is harmful. So they should stop making everybody do them and stop glorifying them for the masses.

Glad to see I could finally argue you into saying that

Reactions: Cicada 5

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Standard reminder that that's literally the only example anybody could find
So far......

Yes, I'm sure you know those women better than they know themselves. It's a good thing you are here to speak for them, to save them from their slut shaming and prudish ways and determine what they should and should not wear.
Right cause when part of their reason was not wanting to feel sexualised when there's been a big push to say sexualisation is bad it couldn't possibly be linked right?

I'd say let them wear what they want but this is rather a sign of the times too.

Lmao,
Oh you're specifically going to bring up EA games that's what you meant and NOT the mobile games I listed.

Ultimate team is known to be scummy anyway but it's still better than some mobile games (yes really)
Apex is mostly characters and cosmetics and doesn't screw you over for not buying
BF5 was mostly cosmetics too.

"Tetris on a computer: Game. Tetris on a phone: Not Game"
Not what I said, shall I leave your and the Strawman together for a bit?

Yes, the punch to get these bodies in a short amount of time regardless of natural builds is harmful. So they should stop making everybody do them and stop glorifying them for the masses.

Glad to see I could finally argue you into saying that
And yet I'm right, those bodies for the line of work the characters do are not unhealthy. The way some people are trying to get them is the issue.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Also while it's their choice to want to wear something else it says something about the world as I said before that people are so worried about being seen as sexy for some reason. It's weird like "Oh no people might see me and because I'm sexy think I'm a slut and look down on me for it" or some weird thing like that.
Or it may possibly be due to the horrific sexual abuse they are subject to.
Source - your fevered paranoid brain.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Or it may possibly be due to the horrific sexual abuse they are subject to.
1) TheMysteriousGX brought up the a Volleyball team not the gymnastics team
2) How long have we been told that it doesn't matter what a woman wears and that shouldn't be connected with abuse
3) There is an actual reason for costumes some what in gymnastics as (and this is based on Liana K on about it) you need to be able to see the lines of the body as part of the scoring system so any alternative uniform would only be able to provide a a small extra bit of coverage if brought in and maintain those scoring roles as such or would have to be so tight as to render it's coverage pretty meaningless.

Source - your fevered paranoid brain.
Pretty sure I got it from Liana K actually

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
1) TheMysteriousGX brought up the a Volleyball team not the gymnastics team
And the common theme is....?
Women in sports and the shit they have to deal with.

I don't know who Liana K is or why her saying
"People going after sexy video game characters because it's allowed and they get to slut shame by proxy without being called out over it."
means you should, because it's obvious nonsense.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And the common theme is....?
Women in sports and the shit they have to deal with.
It would be somewhat unfair to suggest the Volleyball team had been sexually abused because other teams in a different sport were sexually abused.

I don't know who Liana K is or why her saying
"People going after sexy video game characters because it's allowed and they get to slut shame by proxy without being called out over it."
means you should, because it's obvious nonsense.
1) Liana K former staff member of the Escapist Liana K, I'm a little surprised you don't know who she is.
2) Is it nonsense? It's very clear some of the same attitudes towards women haven't vanished so why wouldn't the attitude that women must be modest? All that's changed in the target, just look at the US " The National Center on Sexual Exploitation" which is just the latest face of Morality in media a campaign against sex and violence on TV and in media started by religious types but now it approaches it as protecting women and ending sexual abuse by getting rid of sexy women characters.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
It would be somewhat unfair to suggest the Volleyball team had been sexually abused because other teams in a different sport were sexually abused.
Wasn't. The point being, they feel sexually objectified and uncomfortable about it.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Which is where abuse starts - sexual objectification, literally turning people into objects, makes them easier to abuse.
Can you really not see the connection?
But that's entirely subjective and based on ones own perception. It's a weird "On no please don't see me as sexy now you're only allowed to between the hours of 4 pm and 8 pm on sundays" as though people can somehow control how other people see others at any point. Often some-one people find sexy will be sexy in a lot of stuff and part of the issue is when people can't see people as fully rounded people too where being sexy isn't the entire them.

Also you're getting worryingly close to "Be careful what you wear because doing so could make you the victim because of it" territory.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
But that's entirely subjective and based on ones own perception. It's a weird "On no please don't see me as sexy now you're only allowed to between the hours of 4 pm and 8 pm on sundays" as though people can somehow control how other people see others at any point. Often some-one people find sexy will be sexy in a lot of stuff and part of the issue is when people can't see people as fully rounded people too where being sexy isn't the entire them.

Also you're getting worryingly close to "Be careful what you wear because doing so could make you the victim because of it" territory.
Talking to you is literally is like bashing your head to a bloody pulp on a brick wall - I can't comprehend how you cannot see the volleyball team are sick of feeling sexualised when they don't want to be and just want to play their sport, or why that might be.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Talking to you is literally is like bashing your head to a bloody pulp on a brick wall - I can't comprehend how you cannot see the volleyball team are sick of feeling sexualised when they don't want to be and just want to play their sport, or why that might be.
I dunno it might just be more a personal incredulity issue on your part there.

Seems pretty simple to me "You won't be able to control how people see you and people will and can still see you as sexy regardless so it literally doesn't matter if you cover up more because in the past a woman showing ankle was scandalous and it was worried it would lose men to lose control because even that was seen as too sexy for public".

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So far......
Spooky, but I still prefer The Thing

Right cause when part of their reason was not wanting to feel sexualised when there's been a big push to say sexualisation is bad it couldn't possibly be linked right?

I'd say let them wear what they want but this is rather a sign of the times too.
Yes, women started not liking that men were objectifying them by forcing them to wear sexy clothes against their will.

Those silly women

Oh you're specifically going to bring up EA games that's what you meant and NOT the mobile games I listed.

Ultimate team is known to be scummy anyway but it's still better than some mobile games (yes really)
Apex is mostly characters and cosmetics and doesn't screw you over for not buying
BF5 was mostly cosmetics too.
Lmao

Not what I said, shall I leave your and the Strawman together for a bit?
You are defending the worst monetization that exists in gaming, which is so bad that governments are drafting laws to curb it, just because they aren't played on a phone
And yet I'm right, those bodies for the line of work the characters do are not unhealthy. The way some people are trying to get them is the issue.
"Some people" being "the actual real people in real life not powered by super chemicals and magic plants"

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I dunno it might just be more a personal incredulity issue on your part there.

Seems pretty simple to me "You won't be able to control how people see you and people will and can still see you as sexy regardless so it literally doesn't matter if you cover up more because in the past a woman showing ankle was scandalous and it was worried it would lose men to lose control because even that was seen as too sexy for public".
"And therefore it's okay that old dudes pick your uniforms based on how sexy they are and you are slut slut-shaming yourself if you don't want to wear it, you censorious prude"

Good thing sensible people like you are here to tell those silly women what to think.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Which is where abuse starts - sexual objectification, literally turning people into objects, makes them easier to abuse.
Can you really not see the connection?
I'm pretty sure he thinks women should be forced to wear sluttier clothes so they stop being such prudes.

Like, he's bemoaning women not wanting to wear bikinis to play a sport where the men wear long tanks and board shorts, because he thinks that the reason they don't want to wear bikinis is that they don't want society to slut shame them, so obviously they should keep wearing bikinis to, I dunno, desensitize society?

Meanwhile, they just want to wear shorts and they don't like why the old dudes running the sports want them in bikinis.

Dwarven's like, 15 degrees off of hentai doujin logic right now, and most of those doujins have the dudes be the explicit bad guys.

Reactions: Cicada 5

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Spooky, but I still prefer The Thing
????
Yes, women started not liking that men were objectifying them by forcing them to wear sexy clothes against their will.

Those silly women
But that's just how the sports have been for years and the athletes had trained up through with that the whole time to suddenly go "Yeh no it's not fine now". I mean OK give them the choice but people can and will sexualise them just as much regardless of what they wear.

A number of top mobile games lock you out of stuff or sell you lives etc. Only one dumb enough to try that on something outside of mobile was The Culling Reborn

You are defending the worst monetization that exists in gaming, which is so bad that governments are drafting laws to curb it, just because they aren't played on a phone
No because as scummy as lootboxes are. The Apex ones really were just cosmetic not pay to win stuff. Oh and the game is Free to play. It's not a gatcha game where you have to open lootboxes to unlock the new Hero unit that just happens to be the new most powerful one that you need to even compete now.

"Some people" being "the actual real people in real life not powered by super chemicals and magic plants"
Yes and I'm sure if they wished they could figure out a way to go along with their physique stuff and be health. OR somewhat health unless you want to yell at Dwayne Johnson because he doesn't crash diet he trains a lot

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
"And therefore it's okay that old dudes pick your uniforms based on how sexy they are and you are slut slut-shaming yourself if you don't want to wear it, you censorious prude"

Good thing sensible people like you are here to tell those silly women what to think.
You know some of the leaders in gymnastics are women right it's not all old men at the top these days.