Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The Tomorrow War
90 minutes of tense but run-of-the-mill action thriller against extinction-hungry aliens with a time travel twist, and 45 minutes of super traditional Ultimate Dad Fantasy during which all daddy issues go extinct while the human race keeps on going on the shoulders of Chris Pratt and J.K. Simmons. The movie has a funny way to spice up the "military squad" -dynamics you often see in movies, and it brings up good memories of Edge of Tomorrow. They also make a good choice to introduce the aliens bit-by-bit and after the big reveal you see them quite a lot in good lighting. The animation of the baddies is mostly excellent; you can tell how they move, when they are hurt, and when bullets only scrape them. Editing in slower scenes is sloppy and at the end of the day it's a forgettable piece of entertainment. 6/10

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Filth: ... / Great

I can't really "rate" this film because I only made it about 25-30 minutes in before deciding it was too much a mess to keep watching. Between James McAvoy's narration thing that supposedly sets the tone and characters (which I hate when films do this,) constant jumping around between McAvoy's interaction with various characters, the thick Scottish accents that made understanding the dialogue all but impossible and some fairly lewd and unnecessary sex scenes (including one with an underaged girl,) I was completely confused and turned off by what I was seeing. I might give it another shot someday, but as it stands, that day is a long ways out. Maybe someone has some input to encourage me to try it again, i.e.: does it get better and less gross? I know that's a tall order for a film called "Filth," but maybe it has some redeeming qualities?
Aw, I quite like the Scottish accent, but do understand it's not always easy for others who aren't exposed to it really. As for the film, yeah it's definitely uncomfortable, the whole point is the main character is despicable and throughout they're creating their own personal hell as they fail to deal with their own problems. I think the underage girl scene at the beginning is the most uncomfortable part of the film, somewhat mercifully cut short. It's easier after that, and McAvoy's intense performance of a horrible psychopathic person losing their mind as those around him is probably one of his biggest flexes as an actor. It does end logically, tho tbh I'd completely forgot about the odd sexual scenes by that point, they were so inconsequential in comparison.

For adapting to Scottish accents, Limmy is an alright comedian who may be of use for such things, he did an aphex twin bit a while ago too. 😉

And he now does the twitch stuff cause why not. I tried linking it but goes kinda weird and am not sure it matters anyway.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
So my thoughts on Pan's Labyrinth since I have just now seen this movie for the first time.

What I expected: Dark Fairy-tale Lovecraftian Horror

What I got: War Drama set in the Spanish Civil War with a Spanish Amon Göth as the antagonist, while has dark fairytale shit

And ironically, I was more invested in the Spanish Civil War side of the story then the Fairy Tale side.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
(The formatting restrictions of this site are going to kill me, I swear. This is getting ridiculous.)
No. No, it does not make any sense, because none of this is in the movie. At all. The whole 'macho vs feminine' shit, toxic masculinity, incels (fucking what?), none of it. The closest, absolute closest, you get is with toxic masculinity and punching/breaking things, but guess what? It is never framed as such. It is always, throughout the entire movie (and it's central theme) framed as childish and immature. For someone who has seen the movie, do you remember what the very first 'invasion' from the aliens (who, through use of DUPLO blocks and child voice we know is a very young kid) looks like? They smash and start taking things, because they are a child. This is literally the theme of the movie, and serves as the perfect foil for Rex, who for all his posturing as the cool adult to Emmet's childish innocence is shown to be nothing more than a baby.

This is what has been so exasperating about this, because I actually would love to discuss the Lego Movies (obviously). The movies do have a ton going on underneath the surface for kid's movies that (I feel) spread their main messages on a little too thick, especially the second movie with the relationship between the siblings as that has a lot of parallels to my own. But we can't, because we're stuck talking about stupid nonsense that only exists in the minds of hacks on Youtube.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
(The formatting restrictions of this site are going to kill me, I swear. This is getting ridiculous.)
No. No, it does not make any sense, because none of this is in the movie. At all. The whole 'macho vs feminine' shit, toxic masculinity, incels (fucking what?), none of it. The closest, absolute closest, you get is with toxic masculinity and punching/breaking things, but guess what? It is never framed as such. It is always, throughout the entire movie (and it's central theme) framed as childish and immature. For someone who has seen the movie, do you remember what the very first 'invasion' from the aliens (who, through use of DUPLO blocks and child voice we know is a very young kid) looks like? They smash and start taking things, because they are a child. This is literally the theme of the movie, and serves as the perfect foil for Rex, who for all his posturing as the cool adult to Emmet's childish innocence is shown to be nothing more than a baby.

This is what has been so exasperating about this, because I actually would love to discuss the Lego Movies (obviously). The movies do have a ton going on underneath the surface for kid's movies that (I feel) spread their main messages on a little too thick, especially the second movie with the relationship between the siblings as that has a lot of parallels to my own. But we can't, because we're stuck talking about stupid nonsense that only exists in the minds of hacks on Youtube.
Except it relies on understanding real world trends and SYMBOLISM stuff. It doesn't make that much sense in the film because it's a meta commentary and that's how it makes more sense. We see at one point the boy playing with Rex's ship thus Rex must actually exist in the films own logic rather than breaking the logic and doing whatever but from a plot and story perspective things don't fit neatly together because Rex is shown as both a creation of the boy (he even says he's doing a complex time travel plotline at one point) but also as existing independently somehow via his own actions. Also you have to sort of have seen the weird commentary online in certain spheres where macho things are seen as or painted as also toxic masculinity. So for example the stubble on Rex to some would be considered an aggressive assertion of masculinity (yes these people are mad but unfortunately a thing). Resorting to violence = Toxic Masculinity because to them only men do resort to violence and it's part of patriarchal society that violence happens when true women would never be violent and would solve everything with words (Look They're mad ok I'm just saying the kinds of things that are presented by them). In Rex's case you're right he is shown as a baby *puts on shades* A man baby, sorry couldn't resist.

Thing is I'm very much not the person who noticed some of this and yes it's hacks out there but the stuff about the Sistar system invaders is basically all from Moviebob talking about it and I just took it further to look at Rex as the foil to that. It could be hack youtubers but I'm sure other reviewer picked up on this stuff too. If it was intended or not I'll give you that it's a huge point of contention unless the creators have spoken up about that stuff to settle the argument one way or another.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I decided to watch Forever Purge again since I bought it on Blu Ray last week. Still great and by far has the best action sequences of the entire franchise. Especially the oner sequence in downtown El Pasos. I bet you when the sixth installment comes out, it'll top it.

Ranking the best action scenes: Forever > Purge 4 > Election Year > Anarchy > The Purge.

Ranking the overall package and suspense: Anarchy > Forever Purge > Election Year > Purge 4 > The Purge.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

I know and understand world trends and SYMBOLISM(! IN! SPPPAAACCCCEEEEE!!!) and meta commentary and all that jazz. The problem is, again, that what you think is there just is not. You keep forgetting that this is the movie series that spawned "Everything is Awesome". It has no real preference towards either the brother or the sister's creations as being the "right" ones, because they're all awesome. Rex doesn't have stubble because he's an awesome macho man, he has stubble to show how grown up he is (compare him to an adolescent proudly displaying the first tiny wisps of facial hair), made even funnier due to the fact that we know he is Emmet (meaning that it is probably sharpied onto his face). Plus, violence isn't shown as a bad thing (I didn't mention it, but parallel to the fist fight is a space battle against raptors flying spaceships) or something inherent in men or anything, just that his resorting to breaking things in an effort to have all the toys taken away in a sort of "if I can't have them, no one can" way is childish and wrong. As for Rex himself, I have done some thinking on it, and have somewhat of an answer: he is self-insert OC (do not steal) as just straight up the brother in brick form (though this is with "kid's imagination" rules, and like I said, the just can't pick a lane).

I mean...if ever there were a hack Youtuber...

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

I know and understand world trends and SYMBOLISM(! IN! SPPPAAACCCCEEEEE!!!) and meta commentary and all that jazz. The problem is, again, that what you think is there just is not. You keep forgetting that this is the movie series that spawned "Everything is Awesome". It has no real preference towards either the brother or the sister's creations as being the "right" ones, because they're all awesome. Rex doesn't have stubble because he's an awesome macho man, he has stubble to show how grown up he is (compare him to an adolescent proudly displaying the first tiny wisps of facial hair), made even funnier due to the fact that we know he is Emmet (meaning that it is probably sharpied onto his face). Plus, violence isn't shown as a bad thing (I didn't mention it, but parallel to the fist fight is a space battle against raptors flying spaceships) or something inherent in men or anything, just that his resorting to breaking things in an effort to have all the toys taken away in a sort of "if I can't have them, no one can" way is childish and wrong. As for Rex himself, I have done some thinking on it, and have somewhat of an answer: he is self-insert OC (do not steal) as just straight up the brother in brick form (though this is with "kid's imagination" rules, and like I said, the just can't pick a lane).

I mean...if ever there were a hack Youtuber...

The thing is with Rex being a self insert, it could be argued he's the self insert of what the sons idea of being a hero man is about inspired by media he's seen. The kind of media a number of critics etc have been yelling is toxic masculinity and causes all these issues in the world. So the son in the film has taken the idea that violence solves problems / gets him what he wants so he uses it with the sisters stuff because toxic masculinity. It never says one side is right but there's 3 distinct groups. The Apocalypseburg creations and people. Rex, his shit and the raptors etc and the Sistar System people. Rex's ship and the raptors are still a creation of the brother and still deemed bad as such.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

But it doesn't work still, because he doesn't do any sort of hero man stuff. The only things he does is gush about all the awesome stuff he gets to see as cool adult-man and how awesome and cool he is. You know, like an obnoxious adolescence (you can almost hear him gushing about having seen a boob once) And once again, Rex is never deemed bad, or a villain. It's an inverse of the last film, agreeing and treating his reasons (feeling abandonment for his friends drifting away, a surprisingly adult theme for this movie) while disagreeing with his actions (smashing things like a child). The distinct groups is because we are dealing with different people, same as the last movie with the realistic father's vision contrasted with the son's whimsical cloud cuckoo-land. By the time we arrive at the end of the film, the siblings are playing together, whereas the beginning was more adversarial due to the sister's young age (and tendency to break his creations) coupled with the splitting of the collection of lego between them (the 'abductions' and the Justice League ending up in the sister's pile). And so what better enemy to fight than spaceship piloting raptors (which sounds awesome)?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

But it doesn't work still, because he doesn't do any sort of hero man stuff. The only things he does is gush about all the awesome stuff he gets to see as cool adult-man and how awesome and cool he is. You know, like an obnoxious adolescence (you can almost hear him gushing about having seen a boob once) And once again, Rex is never deemed bad, or a villain. It's an inverse of the last film, agreeing and treating his reasons (feeling abandonment for his friends drifting away, a surprisingly adult theme for this movie) while disagreeing with his actions (smashing things like a child). The distinct groups is because we are dealing with different people, same as the last movie with the realistic father's vision contrasted with the son's whimsical cloud cuckoo-land. By the time we arrive at the end of the film, the siblings are playing together, whereas the beginning was more adversarial due to the sister's young age (and tendency to break his creations) coupled with the splitting of the collection of lego between them (the 'abductions' and the Justice League ending up in the sister's pile). And so what better enemy to fight than spaceship piloting raptors (which sounds awesome)?
The thing is they only start playing together really once all the macho stuff is abandoned (Rex being gone etc) and the son is embracing more of the girls pastel coloured stuff and pop music stuff etc. There isn't a moment where the more adversarial macho stuff and the more feminine stuff is seen working together. It's just the stuff from apocalypseburg which gets changed to incorporate or be fixed by combining with the Sistar System stuff.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Actually, we see them play much earlier. It establishes almost immediately that the sister has actually taken the real figures seen at the beginning (particularly, Lucy), and that the brother is playing with Emmet/Temme. However, we see at a certain point that Lucy actually meets up with the Emmets, as well ending up in the middle of her play. Isn't a moment...the final space battle features a giant space chainsaw on the 'good' team (pastel chainsaw, but still). Also, why are we worried about the son embracing more pastel girl stuff and pop music? The first movie that had both the pop song "Everything Is Awesome" and featured the son creating the outlandish and colorful cloud cuckoo-land (led by a pastel unicorn-kitten, a Unikitty, if you will). And that last sentence sounds like you don't like the addition of Elton John glasses to the classic 'Planet of the Apes' statue of liberty...

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
To break up all the legos again, I also saw Halloween for the first time recently. Since they did the cardinal sin of naming their sequel after the first movie, I will talk about both (in case it isn't obvious, the 2018 Halloween was the new one I saw).

Halloween 10/10: The movie to put Carpenter on the map, it is one of my favorite horror movies. Not the outright scariest (that title goes to The Thing, the only movie to actually scare me, and I've only seen it as an adult), but it is the most authentically 'real'. Our killer, outside of tanking all of the good doctor's prescribed .38 rounds and falling out of a window, feels like just a normal human instead of some unkillable thing. The first half is great, lots of shots that are held for just a little too long to give a good creep factor, with tons of foreground/background interaction (see my previous post about Precinct) that's really unnerving. The second half isn't as great, as there are a few moments of 'what are you doing?' and the whole 'half the senior class shows up to this random families house', but the music (also Carpenter) really holds it together.

And now, Halloween (2018) 8-9/10: So, that first 30 minutes are just...not great. The bit in the hospital just feels like a different movie; the camera just can't sit still, the music is a little bleh, and just, not good. Then, almost to the second dead on the 30 minute mark, the whole movie changes, shifts into high gear, and just does not stop for the next hour. Long, drawn out shots with lots of interplay between foreground/background and the music...god, even if he won't direct another movie, Carpenter still shows his absolute talent with musical scores. There are some problems (such as Michael Myers going from imposing, but somewhat realistic killer to straight up force of nature) and the aforementioned dumb title, but it is a solid sequel. I'm actually now really interested in seeing the new one.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Actually, we see them play much earlier. It establishes almost immediately that the sister has actually taken the real figures seen at the beginning (particularly, Lucy), and that the brother is playing with Emmet/Temme. However, we see at a certain point that Lucy actually meets up with the Emmets, as well ending up in the middle of her play. Isn't a moment...the final space battle features a giant space chainsaw on the 'good' team (pastel chainsaw, but still). Also, why are we worried about the son embracing more pastel girl stuff and pop music? The first movie that had both the pop song "Everything Is Awesome" and featured the son creating the outlandish and colorful cloud cuckoo-land (led by a pastel unicorn-kitten, a Unikitty, if you will). And that last sentence sounds like you don't like the addition of Elton John glasses to the classic 'Planet of the Apes' statue of liberty...
The thing is they're not really playing together so much as fighting in the beginning and during the fight she takes the figure. Her brother says something about how he's doing his own story to her and they're somewhat fighting over the stuff. The colourful cloud stuff in the first one was seen as his being a child as such not femininity as it's clearly implied he and his sister are now older. It's not so much the embracing the feminine stuff so much as the implied rejection of the masculine stuff because the masculine stuff is bad rather than some attempt at redeeming the masculine stuff that I'd see as more of the issue. Also I'm fine with the addition of the glasses it's just some-one telling that Rex's stuff has no place in the new utopia.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

Yes, but that's the whole point. The fight way back when she is really young is five years before the real start of the film is pretty much a misunderstanding (and the only 'fight'). When she takes the figures, what she is actually doing is just seeing what he's built (it was an 'alien probe' like the start of Empire Strikes Back) and wanting to play while the brother ignores her, at which point she grabs his characters. Ok, so, I know it's been a few days (I like to take my time...er, sometimes), but do you remember what I said the major theme of this movie was way back when this first started? "just a play on that one C.S. Lewis quote about putting away the childish fear of feeling childish" Yes they are older, but so what? What is the age cut-off for whimsy and fun? I mean, we have been debating an animated kid's movie for about two dozen posts now, are we too grown up? Is it weird? Now let me blow your mind even further: what if, the brother didn't want to build the stuff we see? What if the brother wanted to keep building wacky sky-cities made out of dogs, with quaint little houses? What if he built in a way he didn't like, in the hopes of his sister not taking his things? And once again, there is no message on some bullshit 'butch/fem' shit that you think there is. Like, even if I entertain this notion, and that Rex is bad (once again, he is not), which do you think sounds more 'macho': going on a daring, do-or-die mission against impossible odds to save someone (especially someone you like) or having a little speech before disappearing? And as for Rex's stuff not being welcome, the raptors show up again, I mean come on.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Yes, but that's the whole point. The fight way back when she is really young is five years before the real start of the film is pretty much a misunderstanding (and the only 'fight'). When she takes the figures, what she is actually doing is just seeing what he's built (it was an 'alien probe' like the start of Empire Strikes Back) and wanting to play while the brother ignores her, at which point she grabs his characters. Ok, so, I know it's been a few days (I like to take my time...er, sometimes), but do you remember what I said the major theme of this movie was way back when this first started? "just a play on that one C.S. Lewis quote about putting away the childish fear of feeling childish" Yes they are older, but so what? What is the age cut-off for whimsy and fun? I mean, we have been debating an animated kid's movie for about two dozen posts now, are we too grown up? Is it weird? Now let me blow your mind even further: what if, the brother didn't want to build the stuff we see? What if the brother wanted to keep building wacky sky-cities made out of dogs, with quaint little houses? What if he built in a way he didn't like, in the hopes of his sister not taking his things? And once again, there is no message on some bullshit 'butch/fem' shit that you think there is. Like, even if I entertain this notion, and that Rex is bad (once again, he is not), which do you think sounds more 'macho': going on a daring, do-or-die mission against impossible odds to save someone (especially someone you like) or having a little speech before disappearing? And as for Rex's stuff not being welcome, the raptors show up again, I mean come on.
Yes the Alien probe but also as she's taking the figures etc they do fight a bit then. That's part of why she runs off with the figures back to her room with her brother plaing to go after her as such. We're debating an animated kids film but the thing is animated kids films can and sometimes do have deeper stuff going on that isn't merely just for the kids so to speak. Also the raptors show up as pets. As for Rex his do or die mission is to take down the Sistar System as such because he's resentful towards it blaming them for his years trapped and alone due to being a version of Emmet who didn't make it through the stair gate

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Aw, I quite like the Scottish accent, but do understand it's not always easy for others who aren't exposed to it really. As for the film, yeah it's definitely uncomfortable, the whole point is the main character is despicable and throughout they're creating their own personal hell as they fail to deal with their own problems. I think the underage girl scene at the beginning is the most uncomfortable part of the film, somewhat mercifully cut short. It's easier after that, and McAvoy's intense performance of a horrible psychopathic person losing their mind as those around him is probably one of his biggest flexes as an actor. It does end logically, tho tbh I'd completely forgot about the odd sexual scenes by that point, they were so inconsequential in comparison.

For adapting to Scottish accents, Limmy is an alright comedian who may be of use for such things, he did an aphex twin bit a while ago too. 😉

And he now does the twitch stuff cause why not. I tried linking it but goes kinda weird and am not sure it matters anyway.
I don't typically mind the Scottish accent, but when combined with a film that constantly jumps around characters and situations, it felt like I was trying to chase two dogs that ran off in opposite directions. I may give the film another go since you say I apparently got through the "worst" of it. I DO like McAvoy which is why the film interested me.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights - 9/10

The irony of this is that the weakest story is the one that enables telling all the others. Basically its a galaxy ending threat has emerged - Krona in this case - which of course means a Tuesday on Oa. Our POV character is Arisa: space elf and Hal Jordan's at one time jailbait girlfriend in the comics for a spell and she's being told a few legends among the Corps.

The First Lantern: as the name implies, a story about the first Lantern, a scribe named Avra.
Kilowog: Legendary Sgt. Major of the Corps, Kilowog, tells the tale of when he was the new meat based on the story 'New Blood'.
Laira: this one is told by the titular Laira and is based on the story 'What Price Honor?' Its the one I have the most philosophical issues with even if its actually my favourite.
Mogo Doesn't Socialise: this one is based on the Alan Moore story of the same name, and its the best one of the lot. Its not complicated, basically about galaxy trotting hardman Bolphunga who wants to kill Mogo despite knowing nothing about him other than he is a Lantern and stronger than him. I won't spoil it but boy does the phrase 'biting off more than you can chew' spring to mind.
Abin Sur: Sinestro (who has not yet fallen from grace) tells Arisa of the time he and the titular Abin Sur chased down Atrocitus, who then foretells to Abin his death, the rise of the Sinestro Corps and the War of Light. This one is also based on an Alan Moore story called 'Tygers'.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

But there is no fight. The brother literally has his back to her and trying to ignore her by continuing his own play. The 'fight' amounts to him yelling stop as she closes the door (of course she ran, her whole point is to get him to play with her, and she has her own legos upstairs). And yes the raptors show up as pets, because they were always pets (their role on his ship was basically the same as the dogs on the airship in Up. He even lures them in with a tennis ball). And I know you're trying to be cheeky, but I'm game: which is more 'macho', fighting a bunch of sissy, girly stuff or a space armada of vicious cold blooded reptiles?

I know that things made for children can actually be deep and meaningful and full of nods that adults would get, because obviously. That is not what I asked though. I asked whether you, Dwarvenhobble, feel uncomfortable talking about something made for children. Do you feel silly discussing something that is inherently childish? What is the age cut-off for whimsy and fantasy and fun? What is the age where we put away our legos? Or even if we should?*

*EDIT: Sorry if that came across mean, I'm genuinely curious.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

But there is no fight. The brother literally has his back to her and trying to ignore her by continuing his own play. The 'fight' amounts to him yelling stop as she closes the door (of course she ran, her whole point is to get him to play with her, and she has her own legos upstairs). And yes the raptors show up as pets, because they were always pets (their role on his ship was basically the same as the dogs on the airship in Up. He even lures them in with a tennis ball). And I know you're trying to be cheeky, but I'm game: which is more 'macho', fighting a bunch of sissy, girly stuff or a space armada of vicious cold blooded reptiles?

I know that things made for children can actually be deep and meaningful and full of nods that adults would get, because obviously. That is not what I asked though. I asked whether you, Dwarvenhobble, feel uncomfortable talking about something made for children. Do you feel silly discussing something that is inherently childish? What is the age cut-off for whimsy and fantasy and fun? What is the age where we put away our legos? Or even if we should?*

*EDIT: Sorry if that came across mean, I'm genuinely curious.
I don't feel uncomfortable about it lol.

As for the Rex vs the Sistar System. Well they already have been shown to basically outnumber Rex and have pretty high tech, technology so again yes Rex has a ship full or raptors but the Sistar System has a full system plus ships plus tech. The film also doesn't undo any of the changes to what are seen as more conflict driven Lego the Superheroes) with the utopia being the non violent suburbia type thing. It's a different style to regular fantasy whimsy.