Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Incidentally...

This is quite interesting. You can find this sort of stuff dotted around the internet, as people pick apart shitty writing. The author Adam Roberts had a blog (since also lost to history) where he enjoyed himself pulling apart terrible writing (Dan Brown, Robert Jordan, etc.)

Most of us of course don't really know English that well to realise how sloppy or weak a lot of writing is, we don't care, we just happily plough through. And that's fine. Stuff doesn't have to be high art for us to enjoy it, and if we enjoy it, what's the problem really? A quick look at the sales of Dan Brown and Adam Roberts would suggest that no matter how bad an author Dan Brown is, his bank balance got the last laugh.

But I do like looking at these sorts of critiques.
Interesting site you linked. I like her take down of the first 7 chapters of The Name of the Wind. Would have been nice if it was the whole book, but it was good anyway. I see she does Eragon too, I think I'll be spending a while here.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Interesting site you linked. I like her take down of the first 7 chapters of The Name of the Wind. Would have been nice if it was the whole book, but it was good anyway. I see she does Eragon too, I think I'll be spending a while here.
I think one of my biggest gripes in fantasy writing is one of the things she points out: the author constantly telling us rather than showing us. I'm not a seven year old, please don't treat me like one. I don't need to be told "Kranzurghagh was evil", I can tell from the fact they are introduced disembowelling a peasant in a torture room standing on a heap of 30 previous victims, who then pulls the tongue out of the luckless messenger who had the task of informing him that his troops failed to capture the citadel of Xos. And also simply that his name is Kranzurghagh, because everyone with a name like that in fantasy novels is evil.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Strongly recommend everyone read the Ascendance of a Bookworm series. I spent a while giving isekais a shot in being disappointed by the vast majority of them but this is a very good series. It doesn't feel like our MC is just doing everything effortlessly and they have to really struggle and work to achieve their goals. The world is also very well thought out, with a lot of details on how things work. I also like that our MC goes from a really one dimensional character in her first life and turns into a rounded and sympathetic person thanks to their struggles and the people they connect with.
I'll say it again, I STRONGLY recommend everyone read it.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I agree with Askendance of a bookworm.

I won't say it is perfect, but it is one of the best fantasy things i have read so far.