The Thread where I air my grievances with the Assassins' Creed series SPOILERS EVERYWHERE

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So a couple weeks after starting Unity(and going back between this and Blasphemous), I feel like I can talk about it a bit.

First off, as is commonly noted, Paris is beautiful. It might be the best depiction of a 18th century major city in a video game I've ever seen. Previous AC games had Cities like Rome and Constantinople, but this feels on another level There's also how the city feels crowded and lived in the way most most other VG cities don't. And it's wonderful to explore places like Notre Dame and the Louvre and a bunch of other famous landmarks of Paris 200 years ago.

Missions are generally good, though for the first couple sequences it's mostly Arno getting into trouble until he finally lands in the Bastille in the most hamfisted way possible. Basically, he comes across his foster father, who had recently been fatally wounded, at a party and despite the guards 50 feet away totally missing the fact he'd been assaulted in the MIDDLE OF VERSAILLES AT A HUGE PARTY, they suddenly notice Arno when he's leaning over the body to see him if's okay and just assume he's the killer because he discovered the body. Trials apparently didn't exist in 18th century France prior to the revolution. In the Bastille, he meets and assassin and then gets invited to join, after which he starts doing Assassin missions properly.

After which it's generally Arno following the trail to find the killers of his foster father(who he finds out was also a Templar Grand Master), punctuated by missions where he tracks down his target and is generally given a lot of leeway how to approach and take him down, much like the missions in Syndicate. This includes having optional objectives to make the missions easier.

And this is great, though the side missions are somewhat less good. There are approx 70 million side missions and as you reveal more of the map it feels overwhelming and reminds me why I don't play Ubisoft games anymore.Fortunately you can filter the map to make it a bit less difficult to actually find stuff. So far the best of the side content are the Paris Stories and the Murder Mysteries(and now I feel retroactively cheated by syndicate because the Dreadful Crimes are the same as the Murder Mysteries here but you had to buy them as DLC). There are also some heist missions for big money and more invovled then the side quests are and can be repeated to boot. I haven't tried the companion and co-op missions so I have no idea if those are any good. The fact there are so many different types of side missions kind of underlines where Unity falls right back into Ubisofts worst habits of doing more rather than better.

Notably the fact I spent at least a couple hours syncing all the viewpoints by climbing towers so I could reveal the map, because that way I can buy social clubs and renovate the Cafe Theater. Why am I doing this, you ask? Because this is the best way to make money in this game. It's basically the landlord mechanic from brotherhood and Revelations yet again, but this time you only have to buy and upgrade a handful of businesses instead of every shop in Rome/Constantinople. And you pretty much have to do this because there's a massive selection of Weapons and Armor to purchase, but they get more and more expensive the better in quality they get. This is basically how you upgrade your character by buying better gear, and you have to do this because the districts get progressively beef gated(Common mooks can one shot you in the more dangerous areas and will tank your hits in the more dangerous districts) which are overcome by making a ton of cash so you can buy the best gear(but you also have to do side missions and complete sequences to unlock the guy as well). Yes, the RPG element that has become predominate in AC now was already kicking into gear in Syndicate and Unity. Just with a smaller leveling system(5 levels instead of whatever the hell it is in Valhalla). What's worse is that I didn't realize I couple upgrade my armor until just last night because I thought it was cosmetic.

As for the main story, it's okay. Arno is kind of annoying, like he's trying to be a dashing Rogue like Ezio or Edward and just doesn't have the Charisma to pull it off. He also doesn't seem terribly interested in the French Revolution stuff going on around him which comes across as kinda weird since there are literally extremists in the streets beating up people for being "moderates"(not royalist, moderates). And it feels telling that instead of pulling the normal trope of offing his Parents like the usual AC Protagonist, they off his dad in the intro(Thanks, Shay), whereupon he gets adopted and then his foster dad gets offed. He barely seems to care about his actual dad getting offed, despite the fact he goes berserk if anyone touches his dads broken pocket watch. It feels weird considering Rogue went out of it's way to have Shay kill Arnos Dad and the only mention of Shay in Unity so far is to have his clothes as an outfit(which feels dark as hell if you actually chose to wear them).The French Revolution feels more background noise then anything for the most part. Yeah, a couple famous bits have been featured(the storming of the Bastille) and the streets are full of angry mobs and tricolour flags but despite that there seems to be very little of the revolution as part of the plot.

One of the more interesting bits of this game are the Helix Rifts, where(since you're a dude playing Helix Game Console who gets a pirate Signal from the assassins) occasionally Abstergo does a server sweep and you have to move arno out of the server through a big sky portal, which then drops you into Paris in another Era(The Belle Epoch, the Nazi Occuptation of France during WW2 and what I believe is the hundred years war). And these are kinda fucking amazing to see, but they're also linear obstacle courses like the platforming missions of the earlier games that essentially don't exist in AC anymore. Yeah, you can try to stop and enjoy the scenery but then the red scan lines of death with appear and force you to keep moving forward. No doubt to keep you from poking around to much and realizing how small these levels really are. It really is a shame. I've heard the original concept for Unity was supposed to have you going between different time periods of Paris but that idea got cut(and seeing what issues Unity had at launch this doesn't shock me) but they didn't want to waste the time and effort put in so they made them into these cool little side missions. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm this though.

It's not the broken mess it was when it launched, though I've still run across some embarrassing bugs(I once got trapped by phasing into a building while trying to climb it). It generally good so far but it's more or less just an update of Brotherhood/Revelations(except without the recruitment/map mini games).

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Don't have much to add but I've randomly had this AC playlist show up on youtube and I gotta say it's pretty damn good. Never really though about the AC soundtrack before.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
First off, as is commonly noted, Paris is beautiful. It might be the best depiction of a 18th century major city in a video game I've ever seen. Previous AC games had Cities like Rome and Constantinople, but this feels on another level There's also how the city feels crowded and lived in the way most most other VG cities don't. And it's wonderful to explore places like Notre Dame and the Louvre and a bunch of other famous landmarks of Paris 200 years ago.
So it's fair to say that even if Unity has been forgotten, we'll always have Paris?

Play it again, Dalis.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Notably the fact I spent at least a couple hours syncing all the viewpoints by climbing towers so I could reveal the map, because that way I can buy social clubs and renovate the Cafe Theater. Why am I doing this, you ask? Because this is the best way to make money in this game.
I remember at one point, I was more challenged to find stuff to spend on than to actually earn money. Honestly, I don't know how else Ubisoft should handle progression (I don't like the idea of loot drops any more than I do just buying better gear), but they're the game devs so they should figure it out.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I remember at one point, I was more challenged to find stuff to spend on than to actually earn money. Honestly, I don't know how else Ubisoft should handle progression (I don't like the idea of loot drops any more than I do just buying better gear), but they're the game devs so they should figure it out.
Black Flag had a pretty good system of getting money by just Pirating(which is presumably why you're here anyway), though obviously that doesn't work in other games. It's just being a landlord feels a bit off for what the game is supposed to be and relentlessly hunting chests across the map get fucking tedious really quickly. AC3 had the weird system of either becoming a furniture magnet, or realizing beaver pelts were actually incredibly valuable, so you funded all your upgrades by farming Beaver Pelts(which you could either buy from the Trapper in your town or just kill them near your house) and selling them for the best price you could find).

Then again, the first game didn't have money. All your shit was provided to you by the Brotherhood and Altair was basically being punished so he had to earn the right to use the better shit again.

It does beg the question of why do AC games really need a ton of shit to buy in the first place and thus ways to make money? Why do you need a mini-game of moving ships around a map to make money when you already have a ship you're driving around and having fun sea battles in? Yes, I'm looking at you, Black Flag! Some of the final upgrades to your ship in Odyssey are solely to have something to spend your cash on because of how much they cost and how little you need to upgrade your ship that far. There aren't any Bonus Boss Sea battles that warrant such upgrades that I remember and BF that's the only reason to do the final level upgrades to the Jackdaw was to have a chance against the Legendary ships(and even then those things were fucking terrifying).

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I have a question since you are way deeper into AC than I am. What game do you consider to be the best of the series as a whole?
My personal favorite is AC4: Black Flag. It's the most fun to play around in and explore, lots of fun pirate activities and Edward nicely hits the "Lovable Asshole" vibe that makes him so much fun to watch. It's big flaws being the MD bits are annoying and the game likes to throw in Tailing missions a bit too often.

That being said, there's some debate about if AC4 is even a proper AC game or rather a pirate game set in the AC verse(Edward doesn't become an assassin until the very end and mostly helps them when their goals converge...and he gets paid for it). Either position is valid and I don't care much which is right because I enjoy it so much. If I could only have 2 Open world games to play for the rest of my life, it would be Black Flag and RDR2. If I could have one....I'd have a really hard time deciding.

For a "Pure" AC game, I'd go with AC2, because Ezio is also fun to play, the Villa is a nice home base to develop and the plot nicely unfolds from "Jerks killed my dad and brothers" to "Murdering half of Italy who were in on a huge conspiracy. Also they're led by the Pope and you get to fistfight the pope in the Vatican at the end".

And to round it out, I'd consider Origins the best of the RPG-type AC games because of Egypt, Bayek and because it's relatively constrained compared to the other two of the new games. Oh, and of course, the Pharaohs DLC.

TL: DR
Best Overall: AC4
Best Pure AC: AC2
Best New AC: Origins.

Added: I didn't really talk about it, but I have a soft spot for the King Washington DLC in AC3. It's completely non-canon because it's basically an apple induced fever dream(Or Alternate universe) but it's big and stupid and I fucking love it. George Washington gets some ISU stuff, declares himself king of the US, and builds himself a giant golden pyramid as his palace in New York. Connor, now using his Native name and remembering the proper timeline, drinks magic tea from a magic spirit tree that gives him magical native American animal powers(This would be offensive if it wasn't so stupid) and stages a revolt against King Washington. At the end, It's Connor with his Animal magic powers vs. Washington with a Laser Staff on top of the Golden New York Pyramid and It's the kind of stupid campy shit I can't help but love. Especially when you have Washington making an entirely serious speech about launching an INVASION OF GREAT BRITIAN in the 1780s, which presumably would be followed up by an invasion of the moon for as much sense as that makes.

But I didn't really talk about it because it's impossible to criticize it much because of how innately cheeseball it is. It's something that appeals or it doesn't.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
And the worst ones?
Liberation can be safely skipped, even for fans of the series(I only played it because I got it with the AC3 remaster and I was giving AC3 a replay anyway). The only thing it really has going for it is being able to change clothes with various benefits and drawbacks, so you can tailor your approach for the clothes and visa versa. But Liberation is basically a side game originally built for the Vita and man does it show.

For mainline games, Rogue is a great premise that is poorly executed and basically feels like a lesser version of Black Flag and/or AC3. Also, Shay is an unlikable asshole(especially coming after Edward) and nothing is the game is followed up anywhere else. Even Unity, the game that AC Rogue directly connects into, doesn't acknowledge Rogue at all. Shay killed Arno's Dad and Unity never seems to follow up on that plot thread despite the fact that that would be the perfect connecting thread between Unity and the games that came before it.(even Syndicate let you visit Edwards London Mansion full of some of his pirate goodies)

Syndicate would be a follow up choice, not so much because it's bad, but because it's fairly bland(since apparently Ubisoft decided they didn't want to be "Political" anymore) and it doesn't do anything particularly interesting with a few minor exceptions(mostly side content). And like the other games on this list, you could skip Syndicate and miss nothing because it's the most 'modern" of the historical settings and the MD plot was meant to lead into Juno being reborn, but since Ubisoft decided to ditch that entire plot in the games themselves, nothing that happens in that game ends up mattering at all. Unity, despite it's flaws, at least has more to really talk about and Paris is more interesting then London.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
So I've completed a fair bit more of Unity and honestly, I am enjoying it. It's far from the best game but it's hardly the trainwreck it apparently launched as. No doubt a lot of that was due to the New Engine(with improved facial and body animation) but also the fact Paris is massive for an open world city(and a lot of the houses have explorable interiors with no loading) and truly huge crowds all over the city that none of the other games seem to match. Granted, most of those crowds spend their time doing nothing but gathering into huge angry mobs that are perpetually protesting, burning effigies and putting up barricades in the streets regardless of what year it is but it does make the city feel very crowded.

Arno is a little less annoying but still not particularly interesting. Most of his motivation is about his GF Elise(who is also a Templar and the daughter of the Grand Master of either Paris or France) and the big reason he does pretty much anything for much of the game is because of either her or because of the murder of her dad(who also adopted him). He does occasionally make shitty decisions though. At one point he finds a big cache of Templar gunpowder and decides to set fire to it to blow it all up. Except the building it's stored in is in the middle of a crowded market district and Arno doesn't ever really think about this, considering you have to do a platforming mission to escape before the building burns down. Absolutely no concern is shown for the hundreds of innocent bystanders doing their shopping right outside and the game just glosses over that by having it not spread at all(despite nearly burning the building down). Huge fires didn't exist in the 18th century, especially not in crowded European cities without building codes. Nope. Not at all.

More interesting is the fact that for a number of sequences you're following a trail of clues trying to solve Arnos foster fathers(the Former Grandmaster of the Templars) murder, going from one suspect to another and another, each time killing them and then being pointed in a new direction to the next guy in the chain that reminds me of AC2's conspiracy web. Instead of the confessions like most of the other games Arno has some weird ability to see memories of his Important victims as he kills them, essentially as a flashback. Except he can't see people who said person would have been looking directly at because the flashback is 3rd person and for plot reasons(because we can't have him seeing the hooded man is too early, can we?).

It does eventually paint the picture of both the Templars and the Assassins' fighting their own civil wars. Apparently early in he game the Heads of the Assasins and the Templars struck up a Truce or Détente, after which the Templar Grand Master(and Arnos foster dad) De la sere was killed(Arno's real dad was an Assasin, BTW, and his foster dad knew that). But somehow the truce held, but more extreme members of both sides were unhappy about this and began trying to purge their "weak" leaders for daring to reach compromise and not spend every waking minute killing each other. And Arno, it turns out is manipulated into this because the Templars somehow know he's after them and point him in the direction of the "weak" leaders so the extremists can take their places once he's helpfully murderized them. The assasins have the same problem but it's not explored in nearly as much detail.

Though this is only up to a certain point, at which the Arno kills the new Templar Grandmaster, then finds out one of his assasin Friends(and mentor to boot) kill the Assasin Leader and he has to kill him, at which point there's a time skip and now the French revolution is swinging into full gear. Notice I didn't really talk much about the whole French Revolution thing much until now. Well, that's because for much of the game there's very little of it going on with the main plot, which is based around the quarreling elements of both groups going at each other and Arno being used as a pawn. Then suddenly all the interesting stuff starts happening and Arno starts showing up at famous events again, one after another. He meets Napoleon, visiting the sacking of the Kings Palace, sees the September Massacre's happening, etc.

And I see what they're trying to do here. Paris(and presumably the rest of France) is divided against itself and extremists are taking control, just as is happening to the Templars and Assasins. Any attempt at reform or compromise is swept aside in favor of violent action, which feels disturbingly relevant right now. And hell, this feels like this really COULD work, but somehow it doesn't. Mostly because the whole French Revolution thing is happening mostly offscreen much of the time(massive, angry crowds in the streets notwithstanding). The Assasins are mostly uninvolved in the whole thing(though strangely the traitor who was trying to purge the head assasins is mad about the Assasins being too involved, something not shown or talked about up to that point) and the Templars don't appear to be doing much either really, except now the game is starting to reveal they were helping ignite the powder keg like they were in AC3 and the American Revolution.

It also doesn't help that even when shit is happening, the explanation is mostly relegated to a codex extry trying to give some context for the people and events in question, but it feels like the game is doing a disservice here. I have read up on the French Revolution and it was an immensely large and complicated event(s) that the game just kinda skims over like 90% of it. Why is any of this happening? Who fucking knows. The rich are jerks and the king is corrupt. Why are the people angry in the streets? Something about food being scarce because the templars are hoarding it. At least that's what the game wants to tell you. The actual events were a lot of complex factors coming to bear on the French nation and monarchy and I feel like game doesn't really try to explain it. Like the fun fact France was in Massive Debt due to helping the American Colonies in the American Revolution and that was made worse by poor crop harvest, already crippling debt and loss of overseas colonies in the 7 years war. Also the fact the the general citizenry of France had very little say in the actual running the nation(the Church and Nobility had far more wealth and power, despite being a much smaller proportion of the population) and the slowness of implementing reforms on the part of the Monarchy(not answerable to a legislature, BTW) led to the king being deposed and eventually shit going all the hell and a lot of heads ending up in baskets. And of course, the resentment of the Catholic church who owned huge amounts of land in France...where many, many people were poor and starving. And since Napolean is invovled, he got his start because shit as going nuts, other European powers were intervening militarily(mostly to restore the monarchy with someone of their choosing, which teed off the Revolutionaries to no end) and Napoleon was in the right place at the right time to eventually become Le Emperor.

Again, most of this is skipped over, so we have like half the game being the two secret societies of merry murderers having internal coups and such, and then the track switches to "Oh, and there's this whole massive political and social upheaval going on over here that we haven't really bothered to talk about much despite it being everywhere around us". Most of the factions are involved are ignored or just Templar pawns because god forbid any conflict not be a bipolar affair(I'M LOOKING AT YOU SYNDICATE!)

On some level I like the fact it shows the Templars at each others throats and the Assasins being dithering idiots while the city burns around them and the whole idea of the détente between them, but how that works is never really explained or how long it was meant to last(and considering the guy who made the truce has been dead for years at this point and replaced by someone else makes me wonder why it's still in effect). It's much more shades of grey then Rogue was and honestly a much better take on the whole thing rogue was going for. It's just messy as hell and not in a good way. I just wish the two main plots were actually engaging with each other and not feeling like they're happening at the expense of one another. Like have the Assassins' backing some of the revolutionaries while the Templars backed another so you could get this fun "Oops, maybe we shouldn't have given so much backing to Robespierre " reaction from the assassins' when the Terror starts to run amok.

Edit:
So it looks like at one point the Assasins were going to be a lot more involved in the revolution, considering the trailer shows them assisting with the storming of the Bastille(implying they were on the side of revolutionaries). While the storming of the bastille happens in game, Arno isn't an assassin yet and in fact, is locked inside as a prisoner when the storming happening so you see nothing close to this. I can only presume Ubisoft couldn't figure out how to make this kind of crowd storming scene work because you never see anything close to this in any context in game but still feels weird that the Assassins were reduced to impotently watching events unfold instead of participating.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Liberation can be safely skipped, even for fans of the series(I only played it because I got it with the AC3 remaster and I was giving AC3 a replay anyway). The only thing it really has going for it is being able to change clothes with various benefits and drawbacks, so you can tailor your approach for the clothes and visa versa. But Liberation is basically a side game originally built for the Vita and man does it show.

For mainline games, Rogue is a great premise that is poorly executed and basically feels like a lesser version of Black Flag and/or AC3. Also, Shay is an unlikable asshole(especially coming after Edward) and nothing is the game is followed up anywhere else. Even Unity, the game that AC Rogue directly connects into, doesn't acknowledge Rogue at all. Shay killed Arno's Dad and Unity never seems to follow up on that plot thread despite the fact that that would be the perfect connecting thread between Unity and the games that came before it.(even Syndicate let you visit Edwards London Mansion full of some of his pirate goodies)

Syndicate would be a follow up choice, not so much because it's bad, but because it's fairly bland(since apparently Ubisoft decided they didn't want to be "Political" anymore) and it doesn't do anything particularly interesting with a few minor exceptions(mostly side content). And like the other games on this list, you could skip Syndicate and miss nothing because it's the most 'modern" of the historical settings and the MD plot was meant to lead into Juno being reborn, but since Ubisoft decided to ditch that entire plot in the games themselves, nothing that happens in that game ends up mattering at all. Unity, despite it's flaws, at least has more to really talk about and Paris is more interesting then London.
It wasn’t entirely ditched at least not for video games anyway. The whole Juno being reborn nonesense was covered in the comics.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It wasn’t entirely ditched at least not for video games anyway. The whole Juno being reborn nonesense was covered in the comics.
I know, but it still feels like a kick in the pants for the people who were waiting to see that whole thing realized in the main series. "Go read the comic book" feels cheap.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I know, but it still feels like a kick in the pants for the people who were waiting to see that whole thing realized in the main series. "Go read the comic book" feels cheap.
I always felt like they just gave up on the modern day storyline after 3. I mean we got a faceless camera man as a pc for a few games before we go to Layla. Ubisoft wasn’t sure as hell knew what they were doing with the modern day stuff.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I always felt like they just gave up on the modern day storyline after 3. I mean we got a faceless camera man as a pc for a few games before we go to Layla. Ubisoft wasn’t sure as hell knew what they were doing with the modern day stuff.
The MD after 3 feels like they were biding time for something. Oh, they'd established Juno as a threat and they started playing with the fucking Sages(oh god, I hate the sages far more then I know i should), and....eventually just ran out of time apparently and went "fuck it". Maybe they couldn't figure out how to make her the big bad in actual gameplay and that's a common failing of this series where the MD gameplay just suffers from a precieved lack of not having any fucking clue what the hell to do there. I keep imagining a kid given a bunch of toys and while they're having fun with the history ones, the modern ones they just kind set up and stare at trying to figure out what the hell to do with them before going back to playing with the history ones(it's not a perfect metaphor, I know). I can't think of what else was going on considering we had 2 mobile cameras and 2 "person playing video game getting sent videos of bishop telling you stuff through your VR googles"(possibly the some person) instead of some other character(like Desmonds Son they introduced in the comics).

It looked like they were kinda figuring it out with Desmond by the time 3 rolled around but that didn't happen outside of some short MD missions.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
The MD after 3 feels like they were biding time for something. Oh, they'd established Juno as a threat and they started playing with the fucking Sages(oh god, I hate the sages far more then I know i should), and....eventually just ran out of time apparently and went "fuck it". Maybe they couldn't figure out how to make her the big bad in actual gameplay and that's a common failing of this series where the MD gameplay just suffers from a precieved lack of not having any fucking clue what the hell to do there. I keep imagining a kid given a bunch of toys and while they're having fun with the history ones, the modern ones they just kind set up and stare at trying to figure out what the hell to do with them before going back to playing with the history ones(it's not a perfect metaphor, I know). I can't think of what else was going on considering we had 2 mobile cameras and 2 "person playing video game getting sent videos of bishop telling you stuff through your VR googles"(possibly the some person) instead of some other character(like Desmonds Son they introduced in the comics).

It looked like they were kinda figuring it out with Desmond by the time 3 rolled around but that didn't happen outside of some short MD missions.
Don’t get me started on Layla. They were clearly going to build her up for something. Then poof, she kicks it at the end of Valhalla. Where they were going with her I don’t know. But her character arc is def not good.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's interesting, because for me personally, I never liked the Desmon arch of the AC games. 1-3 could not hold my interest for any real length of time. It wasn't until the games totally changed themselves into the open world rpg's of Origins and beyond that I truly began to enjoy myself.

The thing is, I understand why people don't like them as much as AC games, because they really aren't. They are called AC in name only imo because there doesn't seem to be much in common with what AC was originally. However thematically it still makes sense. Either way the thing about these games that really gets my goat (especially Odyssey) is the ability to get lost in just doing all the mini things. It's cliche, but in playing Valhalla now, I find myself enjoying the moment to moment gameplay of going to a marker grabbing the loot or doing the little quest and moving on. The power gain is given at a steady rate and when i finally DO get to a main quest, the characters are enjoyable and the story is fun enough. Not as good as Odyssey, but good enough to keep me going.

It's weird too because originally I wasn't sold on Valhalla specifically, (see my impressions thread) but giving it this second chance has changed my mind on it and I really like it thus far after about 30 hours. Though I do understand the complaints of it being bloated to all fucking hell and back and the hours I've put into the game are mostly doing map marker completion and nothing of the story really. I'm about to claim my 3rd alliance in a zone that is level 55, yet my character is pushing 150 in power level. GOD I LOVE BEING OP! Holy shit I really love being able to break a game like that.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I finished the story of AC: Unity and overall it was fine. There's some good bits here and there and I did really like the fact that you had a lot of leeway to approach your high profile targets but the last act of the story felt really unfocused, like most AC games tend to do. You do get a clear picture of what the templars are doing to push the French Revolution into further extremism, and yeah, it's a bit late in the revolution for any of this to fucking matter(not to mention a lot of this shit was being influenced by outside factors), but it works well enough. Hell, it even has a bit where Arno gets outright kicked out the assassins for being an asshole, but also because he's repeatedly been running around doing shit without bothering to talk to his superiors(and this includes taking down major figures in Parisian/French Society). And a reminder that unlike some of the other games, Arno isn't the guy running things, he's a relatively Junior member of the brotherhood who presumably is supposed to be following orders or at least getting the ok to take certain targets down.

Which I appreciate they show consequences for his actions, though then it leads to a sequence where he's basically getting drunk and getting in trouble and YET AGAIN LOOKING FOR HIS DAD'S STUPID FUCKING WATCH. Of course, despite being exiled from the brotherhood, the game is pretty much the same. He can still use all their toys and such that's already been unlocked and even go into the brotherhoods main base like nothing had happened. And he's still going after templars, even to the point of taking a plot detour to take down a templar he missed earlier, despite having no real reason to fucking do so other then he wanted to.

It's not like there aren't things to like here. A number of the storyline missions are fun and interesting. There's one where you're chasing a balloon across the rooftops of paris while being shot at from the ground that I rather enjoyed because of how enjoyable and silly it is. Hell, the plot isn't awful, it's just that you have two plots, one that takes up the first half of the game about assasins and templars having internal civil waers, and one about the templars basically pushing Paris further over the edge of revolution that takes up the 2nd. And it feels like that's the big problem is that they feel fairly disconnected to each other where they should have been complementing each other instead and running in parallel. That's what frustrates me, really, is that Unity has all the elements to be a much better game as it stands but it just doesn't.

I haven't done all the side missions, or even a majority yet, but so far they're okay and I mostly sidelined them to do main story missions. The big exception being the murder mysteries which are generally pretty good, though one of them gives you one investigative area and one suspect so it's super easy to solve(to the point I figured it was some kind of fake out). Another one was based off a famous assassination(the Death of Marat) which is super easy to solve if you're at all familiar with it(and the killer all but confesses when you talk to her).

But for the most part, the side content isn't that interesting and I've been trying to avoid doing more then I have to because the map is just jam packed full of missions and collectibles to the point it's got to be a completionists fucking nightmare. I've done one of the co-op missions(and it had an actual intro), but it was too difficult to beat solo, none of the companion missions, one of the heists and a couple of the Paris Stories. Oh, the the social club/theater missions, which aside from the money you get, have the advantage of increasing your income(for the care theater ones, and by a LOT) or liberating districts(luckily only one mission is needed per district), which spawns allies and cuts down on the number of patrolling bad guys, making it easier to run around and do other missions.

One thing that has kinda bugged me is the whole Cafe Theater thing. Oh, conceptually it's cool and it does give you a nice HQ to visit and poke around in(and give you something tangible to spend your money on and improve). Not to mention it's basically a smaller version of the AC2 villa, so that's a plus.You're initially introduced to it as this run down cafe/coffee shop that has entertainment that also serves as Arnos house. The assassins apparently own the building but haven't done shit with it and it's basically been sitting empty for a while(thus giving you a reason to upgrade and improve it), so Arno basically just takes it over, lives in it and reaps the profits it rakes it after it starts making more money.

The part that gets me is that when you first get introduced to it, Arno is basically one of the newest assassin recruits, fresh out of being trained and the low man on the totem pole in the brotherhood, but somehow he's just given control of this rather nice living space and potentially lucrative business that the assassins apparently don't fucking know what to do with so they don't do anything. Even when Arno gets kicked out of the brotherhood later, Arno can still go back to and collect income from the cafe(for gameplay purposes), which I guess makes sense because the open world part takes place outside of the missions but it still feels weird.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
And this leads me to my next point. So as the game gets close to the end of the story, it's revealed the Templars have been backing the French Revolution for a number of reasons. First and foremost, to get revenge for the French King ordering their arrest in the 14th century and driving them underground. 2nd, to erode Monarchies and the Church across the world in preparation for the rise of capitalism as the new power in the world(this has been established way back in the series) and finally, to make the revolution so bloody that people will fear unrestrained populist revolts, being more comfortable with controlling authority. To this end they've been backing the most hardcore revolutionaries(nevermind the revolutionaries were fractured IRL and eventually began eating their own, which is why numerous Revolutionary leaders ended up with their heads in Baskets during the Terror). Fair enough.

The assassins on the other hand, don't seem to be backing anyone. Their leader is Mirabeau for the first half of the game, who is one of the revolutions leaders, but even then the assassins don't seem to take any stand or even endorse any side, at least not in the main story missions. It feels like wimping out because this series hasn't been afraid of showing the assassins picking and choosing sides(Hell, Rogue had Shay complaining how the assassins were supporting AND opposing the French in different parts of the world and is just told to sit down and shut up for even asking). Unity basically has the assassins...doing very little. They have a big fancy HQ underground, a rather sizeable presence in Paris and.....apparently aren't doing shit concerning the revolution. Maybe this is all in the side missions I've been skipping but generally it seems like Ubisoft didn't want to wade into the murky waters of having the assassins pick a side(even if the wrong one) so the assassins just don't choose any side at all. Like I've complained before, it feels like Ubisoft picked this particular time and place and decided not to make any statements about it other then "Extremism is bad"(no fucking shit, Ubisoft), because trying to depict the complicated and extremely morally grey nature of the events occurring here were apparently too much to even try, so they didn't.

Finally, the closest thing to a Unity we see in game is Arno and Elise teaming up at numerous points during the storyline to take down the bad Templars, which feels like it should be more interesting then it is being Arno is an Assassin and Elise a Templar. Except the Templars your killing apparently have wiped out or cowed all of Elise's Templar buddies so she has no qualms about killing them and having her take down assassin's is never an issue that comes up. It's unclear how important Elise even was in the Templar Order, despite being the daughter of a grand master(I don't think that position is hereditary). Worse, the game keeps finding ways for Arno and Elise to be seperated in game(except for a few missions) and they rarely spend any time together, so you honestly don't get to see then interact very much. It would have been cool to see them going on missions together a lot more then they actually do, but more often then not, Arno will tell her to stay behind or she'll go somewhere else and do something offscreen instead of getting to see Elise operate(and she's shown to be capable, which makes it annoying she's continually sidelined). She feels very underutilized and it's a damn shame because it would have been interesting to see them coordinating in these assassinations and such. At least there's a plot point or two where Arno does something that pisses Elise off because she's expecting him to do something else, but since they barely talk about what they are going to do and the plan to do it, I'm not shocked at this at all. And Arno is too much of a dolt to discuss how they should handle these situations despite them occurring frequently.

In general, Unity is a game that's sometimes good though often merely competent and dragged down by the fact it has so much unrealized potential and often falls prey to the same emphasis on quantity over quality that plagues this series.

I am going to do the Dead Kings DLC next and after that I should be done, so stay tuned for that.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
It always strikes me as weird that some of the French citizens in Unity had British accents. You think a company based in France wouldn’t have a problem hiring French actors to voice French npcs.