The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ranking of Kings

This is one weird and fascinating little show. It sort of reminds me of Netflix's Hilda, where you have a very simplistic artstyle, but it's used to show a world with some remarkably thoughtful worldbuilding. Though Ranking of Kings is significantly darker than Hilda ever was, and isn't as child friendly as the artstyle might indicate.

I can't say it's as captivating as other shows I've watched recently (Squid Game, Arcane), but each new episode manages to really surprise me. And in the world of anime this show feels like a unicorn.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ranking of Kings
I plan to watch it soon, heard plenty of good things. I've decided to use my break to catch up on what people are saying are the best anime of 2021, and Ranking of Kings is up there. It's also thankfully one of those shorter animes, I am so tired of 24 episode seasons.

OT: Finished two seasons of Mushoku Tensei. I binged it in two days, so I must have thought it was good. Amazing animation, soundtrack, and even story. Who could have thought that an isekai would be this compelling?

But. And this is a huge but. If you are tired of the usual horny anime tropes, turn back. Hell, I almost did. And that's really frustrating. The main character's arc basically revolves around him getting over his past shut-in self, and that journey is actually quite sweet. But what hasn't changed, despite all his growth and development, is that he's a fucking pervert. Well, more than a pervert, definitely edging over into the sexual predator side. It gets old very, very quickly, and I found myself enjoying the show in spite of all this crap. There is a difference between fanservice, and just being creepy. Especially when you take into account the ages of the characters involved. I genuinely think if they had omitted all the creepy shit, this anime would be remembered as one of the greats of our time.

Side note, I tried to read the manga and it seems the anime has taken many liberties to fill in the gaps left. I think this was for the better, the manga read quite poorly, bad enough that I gave up on it.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
OT: Finished two seasons of Mushoku Tensei. I binged it in two days, so I must have thought it was good. Amazing animation, soundtrack, and even story. Who could have thought that an isekai would be this compelling?

But. And this is a huge but. If you are tired of the usual horny anime tropes, turn back. Hell, I almost did. And that's really frustrating. The main character's arc basically revolves around him getting over his past shut-in self, and that journey is actually quite sweet. But what hasn't changed, despite all his growth and development, is that he's a fucking pervert. Well, more than a pervert, definitely edging over into the sexual predator side. It gets old very, very quickly, and I found myself enjoying the show in spite of all this crap. There is a difference between fanservice, and just being creepy. Especially when you take into account the ages of the characters involved. I genuinely think if they had omitted all the creepy shit, this anime would be remembered as one of the greats of our time.

Side note, I tried to read the manga and it seems the anime has taken many liberties to fill in the gaps left. I think this was for the better, the manga read quite poorly, bad enough that I gave up on it.
Yeah, I turned back.

Initially I was intrigued by this show. It doesn't shy away from showing that sex and even mastrubation is a normal thing in the world, and especially for an anime that's really quite something. But the main character being fucking rapey quickly soured me on the whole thing. I don't know what episode it was, but him groping a 12-year old girl in her sleep, when he's a 30-something man in a child's body... Just fucking hell Japan!

I guess it's similar to Made in Abyss; something pretty great ruined by extremely creepy shit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah, I turned back.

Initially I was intrigued by this show. It doesn't shy away from showing that sex and even mastrubation is a normal thing in the world, and especially for an anime that's really quite something. But the main character being fucking rapey quickly soured me on the whole thing. I don't know what episode it was, but him groping a 12-year old girl in her sleep, when he's a 30-something man in a child's body... Just fucking hell Japan!

I guess it's similar to Made in Abyss; something pretty great ruined by extremely creepy shit.
I really was hoping that panty stealing would be the worst of what the main character would do. There was even a point where he stops himself from groping his student because he sees her sleeping with a gift he gave her realizes, you know, she's his student and he'd be betraying her trust.

Then just an episode later, he up and does it anyway with absolutely no hesitation. Sigh. And he never stops either.

Between this and Komi Can't Communicate, I'm really starting to wonder just how fucked up it must be in Japan that such wholesomeness can coexist with such depravity. Like, what has to be going on in the mind of an author to think that all this is a good idea?

EDIT: What was fucked up in Made In Abyss? I do remember that the girl "explored" the boys body a bit, but beyond that I don't recall much else.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What was fucked up in Made In Abyss? I do remember that the girl "explored" the boys body a bit, but beyond that I don't recall much else.
The show (and I think the manga's even worse) really likes to fetishize child anguish. Cute, bubbly looking children going through extreme, mindbreaking pain. And that is ontop of the weird naked bondage that kids in this world apparently receive as punishment for stepping out of line or not doing as they're told.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The Legend of Vox Machina episodes 1-3

An animated series from the Amazon and the Critical Role team.

I'm going to keep watching this but I'm not sure if it's good per say. It's kind of trying to do sort of what The Boys and Invincible did for Suprhero stuff only for fantasy / D&D stuff only with added humour that would probably feel more at home in a stoner comedy or American Pie film: So jokes about anal beads, dick punching, 69s and hand jobs but with a liberal amount of ultraviolence and gore oh and animated sex in the first episode. So far it feels a little rough round the edges even if the animation is fine and the 3D animation added in for episode 1 and 2 really worked well.

My advice for what it's worth, watch episode 1-2 then wait until there's more as episode 3 ends of a somewhat annoying cliff hanger.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The show (and I think the manga's even worse) really likes to fetishize child anguish. Cute, bubbly looking children going through extreme, mindbreaking pain. And that is ontop of the weird naked bondage that kids in this world apparently receive as punishment for stepping out of line or not doing as they're told.
Ah yeah, it was quite graphic. I'm not even sure if I finished it actually, because the last thing you said I don't remember at all.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The Legend of Vox Machina episodes 1-3

An animated series from the Amazon and the Critical Role team.

I'm going to keep watching this but I'm not sure if it's good per say. It's kind of trying to do sort of what The Boys and Invincible did for Suprhero stuff only for fantasy / D&D stuff only with added humour that would probably feel more at home in a stoner comedy or American Pie film: So jokes about anal beads, dick punching, 69s and hand jobs but with a liberal amount of ultraviolence and gore oh and animated sex in the first episode. So far it feels a little rough round the edges even if the animation is fine and the 3D animation added in for episode 1 and 2 really worked well.

My advice for what it's worth, watch episode 1-2 then wait until there's more as episode 3 ends of a somewhat annoying cliff hanger.
Anyone can comment on how well it follow the DnD sessions? I like the idea of a show based on DnD since session will typically start with very cliche plot but randomness of dice and player often means those get turned on their head or thrown out and you get some really original story beat. But almost everytime I see some sort of adaptation of DnD they essentially ignore all the DnD chaos in favor of sticking as close as possible to the tropes and it end up just being a below average fantasy show.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Anyone can comment on how well it follow the DnD sessions? I like the idea of a show based on DnD since session will typically start with very cliche plot but randomness of dice and player often means those get turned on their head or thrown out and you get some really original story beat. But almost everytime I see some sort of adaptation of DnD they essentially ignore all the DnD chaos in favor of sticking as close as possible to the tropes and it end up just being a below average fantasy show.
Well it’s based off a completed campaign so while some of the chaos will be present, it won’t be as random.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ranking of Kings

First 11 or 12 episodes had the makings of an all time great. Awesome OP, endearing art style, simple but effective animation, complex characters, and an intriguing mystery of a plot. Boijji is a cute little bastard, and Kage is the MVP.

Then from 11 or 12 onwards (currently at episode 15), I feel like I'm watching a completely different show. The animation looks like some B-tier Naruto Shippuden filler. As a result, the art style has lost its appeal. The current antagonists are just completely random, never menacing or even relatable. Characters are brought so close to death so often but never actually die, so the stakes feel so much lower now. I'll still watch for the time being, but my enthusiasm was extremely dampened.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ranking of Kings

First 11 or 12 episodes had the makings of an all time great. Awesome OP, endearing art style, simple but effective animation, complex characters, and an intriguing mystery of a plot. Boijji is a cute little bastard, and Kage is the MVP.

Then from 11 or 12 onwards (currently at episode 15), I feel like I'm watching a completely different show. The animation looks like some B-tier Naruto Shippuden filler. As a result, the art style has lost its appeal. The current antagonists are just completely random, never menacing or even relatable. Characters are brought so close to death so often but never actually die, so the stakes feel so much lower now. I'll still watch for the time being, but my enthusiasm was extremely dampened.
I sadly have to agree, it feel like the writer ran out of idea and just deiced to turn it into a generic shonen. I really liked the start because things would go in unexpected way, even character that were initially introduced as evil would be more fleshed out and the world felt a lot more alive for that reason. Then the MC got a super power, a mega boss was introduced with his mini boss and focused more on action : (

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I sadly have to agree, it feel like the writer ran out of idea and just deiced to turn it into a generic shonen. I really liked the start because things would go in unexpected way, even character that were initially introduced as evil would be more fleshed out and the world felt a lot more alive for that reason. Then the MC got a super power, a mega boss was introduced with his mini boss and focused more on action : (
It was bizzare to see them focus so much on action, when they didn't seem to even want to animate it properly. Perhaps they're saving their budget for some big climax? Or maybe they blew it all on making a good first impression.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It was bizzare to see them focus so much on action, when they didn't seem to even want to animate it properly. Perhaps they're saving their budget for some big climax? Or maybe they blew it all on making a good first impression.
My guess is first impression. Not sure, but maybe the show first season bombed hard (or potentially the manga was struggling when it was first written and they had to pivot to generic shonen to survive)?

On topic, I watched the first episodes of orbital children on netflix. On one hand its a pretty interesting hard/near future sci-fi story happening on an orbital station which is pretty cool. Oh the other hand its stars a bunch of children all competing with each others to be the most annoying character they could possibly be. For some reason they decided that the best way to introduced one of them was by having them relived themselves in space diaper...

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Finished Wotakoi (not the official name) with my SO.

Basically, two childhood friends who are well into their 20s reunite when the lady turns up at the guy's workplace to start her new job. They both also happen to be huge otakus, and the show follows their burgeoning romance. Honestly it was just nice to see nerds being nerds around each other, even though they knew they couldn't be so open about it in their traditional Japanese workplace. I liked how each otaku has their own "specialty", such as manga, video games, or cosplay, but still dips their toes into the other otaku "fields". It's a sweet, funny enough anime with 12 episodes that were easily finished.

What the girlfriend I think really appreciated about it though was that it was an anime about adults, for adults. She's fresh out of college and I'll soon be joining her, so it seems we're both a little tired of the usual high school slice of life shtick.

Oh and surprisingly there are two characters who happen to college students, a first for me, although them being in college is more or less ignored.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The Legend of Vox Machina episodes 4-6

Carried on from episode 3 and I think forms a decent enough small arc to warrant watching now as the new adventure gets established and the team manage to strike a fairly decisive first victory against the villains of the 2nd arc. Some decent slapstick comedy stuff going on likely due to the nature of it being a DnD campaign despite the quite dark setting and some interesting battles with different stuff going on.

It was amusing enough and filled some time. It still feel a few episodes short of really hitting it's stride and finishing introducing characters and their backstories though.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The Legend of Vox Machina episodes 4-6

Carried on from episode 3 and I think forms a decent enough small arc to warrant watching now as the new adventure gets established and the team manage to strike a fairly decisive first victory against the villains of the 2nd arc. Some decent slapstick comedy stuff going on likely due to the nature of it being a DnD campaign despite the quite dark setting and some interesting battles with different stuff going on.

It was amusing enough and filled some time. It still feel a few episodes short of really hitting it's stride and finishing introducing characters and their backstories though.
I watched the first 2 episodes and to me it just didn't feel like it was adapted from a DnD adventure, just loosely based on character and event but with all the DnD aspect/energy/chaos sucked out. Actually the only DnD aspect is that there's too many characters and it feel like they could cut down a bunch of them; druid, cleric, gunner could all be removed and you wouldn't lose anything. Then all you're left with is a very generic dark fantasy show with wacky characters. It feel like once they realized the DnD magic was removed from the show they had nothing left to give it a distinct aspect so they double down on the "adult" stuff in desperation, like making a creepy dish and dumbing a bunch of salts in it at the last minute.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I watched the first 2 episodes and to me it just didn't feel like it was adapted from a DnD adventure, just loosely based on character and event but with all the DnD aspect/energy/chaos sucked out. Actually the only DnD aspect is that there's too many characters and it feel like they could cut down a bunch of them; druid, cleric, gunner could all be removed and you wouldn't lose anything. Then all you're left with is a very generic dark fantasy show with wacky characters. It feel like once they realized the DnD magic was removed from the show they had nothing left to give it a distinct aspect so they double down on the "adult" stuff in desperation, like making a creepy dish and dumbing a bunch of salts in it at the last minute.
Well in one of the recent episodes they spent a good 5+ minutes dealing with a locked door which was resolved in the end not through their own actions. Side character allies don't listen to instructions and spells don't quite work out as they should.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finally finished Soul Eater after starting it like 7 years ago. I like to watch shonen anime while I run on the treadmill, so I started this show and got about half way through, then I injured myself and didn't really run for a few years and by the time I took it up again I had forgotten the plot so I started over and got about half way through again, then I started shift work and haven't been able to form an exercise routine with my new schedule so another year passed, then I had 2 months off for school and got to episode 46/51, then another year passed and I recently decided enough was enough and I was just going to finish the show and watched the rest over a couple of days.

It was alright. The characters were fun and some of the action and scenes were pretty cool. The ending was pretty meh. It was basically the typical anime cliche of "now pull the power to win out of nowhere because it's time for the show to end" thing. Honestly it didn't really make any sense at all, but, whatever, the rest of the show was fine. It all looked cool anyway, so I guess it's fine.

The worst part was they brought back the first outro song to play over the credits, which usually works pretty well but the first outro was completely awful! It's sung by Soul's voice actor and he can't sing at all! His voice cracks constantly, I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have him sing a song. Listen!

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You can't write spontaneity into a pre-determined dramatic narrative. Even random fuck ups are planned parts of the structure either for comedy or drama. You will not get the same random energy and chaos from this cartoon that you would watching the campaign. If that's what you want, I can only suggest watching the YouTubes of the campaign.