Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Moon Knight
Pretty good all round though the last episode felt a bit more generic than what came before it. Glad to hear a convincing British accent after so many duds too. Should've edited this into last post but I took too long and the option gone forever now.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Moon Knight
Pretty good all round though the last episode felt a bit more generic than what came before it. Glad to hear a convincing British accent after so many duds too. Should've edited this into last post but I took too long and the option gone forever now.
It's kind of funny you mention the accent, because Oscar Isaac has gone on record that the accent wasn't supposed to sound authentic. It was supposed to sound like what it was: an American putting on what he thought a British accent should sound like.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It's kind of funny you mention the accent, because Oscar Isaac has gone on record that the accent wasn't supposed to sound authentic. It was supposed to sound like what it was: an American putting on what he thought a British accent should sound like.
Huh, that is kinda weird. Wonder what his authentic impression sounds like then. Maybe a couple less "are you avvin a laff?"s or something. Maybe the trick is not to try so hard for pronunciation at all. Most Americans seem to only know either super posh "Queen's English" accent or Victorian cockney gangster accent and that's it.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Which is even funnier because you have a bunch of Brits going around saying that his accent is totally convincing and that foreigners should recognize that the UK has more accents than just posh or chav. Isaac just straight up shot those poor bastards into the sun.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
But on Moon Knight: yeah definitely my favorite show of the bunch. But that finale really should have had... more. The action sequences we got were above average for a Disney+ show, but the show spent the las two episodes without any action sequences at all. You'd think they'd want to blow our minds for this one, I'd say the episode 3 fight was still the best one in the show.

Harrow also never got the backstory I wanted to see to explain why he would throw his support behind an obviously flawed ideology. It's always implied that something happened to set him on this path, but I guess thanks to Jake Lockley it doesn't really matter anymore. If the show gets a season 2 that would be great, if it doesn't, that's fine too.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
But on Moon Knight: yeah definitely my favorite show of the bunch. But that finale really should have had... more. The action sequences we got were above average for a Disney+ show, but the show spent the las two episodes without any action sequences at all. You'd think they'd want to blow our minds for this one, I'd say the episode 3 fight was still the best one in the show.

Harrow also never got the backstory I wanted to see to explain why he would throw his support behind an obviously flawed ideology. It's always implied that something happened to set him on this path, but I guess thanks to Jake Lockley it doesn't really matter anymore. If the show gets a season 2 that would be great, if it doesn't, that's fine too.
I felt like we got enough out of Harrow to at least imply why he threw his support behind Ammit, based on what he said. To me, this is basically what Harrow believed, and why he supported Ammit. While serving Khonshu, he did his part punishing sinners, and enjoyed it (he flat-out says that in Episode 3). However, he also felt that by only going after the sinners after they sinned, it was treating the symptom instead of the cause, while Ammit was treating the cause. In essence, he felt that Ammit was actually stopping the sinning, rather than merely the sinners. That's why he flipped to her side and eventually brought her back, even knowing there was a very good chance that she'd kill him due to being a sinner. He truly was trying to make a world without sin, and felt that Ammit would be the way to prevent sinning rather than simply punishing sinners for their actions. Almost makes him a tragic villain, given just how devoted he was, and the fact that unlike so many villains like him, he was anything but a hypocrite, holding himself to the same standards as those he opposed.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I felt like we got enough out of Harrow to at least imply why he threw his support behind Ammit, based on what he said. To me, this is basically what Harrow believed, and why he supported Ammit. While serving Khonshu, he did his part punishing sinners, and enjoyed it (he flat-out says that in Episode 3). However, he also felt that by only going after the sinners after they sinned, it was treating the symptom instead of the cause, while Ammit was treating the cause. In essence, he felt that Ammit was actually stopping the sinning, rather than merely the sinners. That's why he flipped to her side and eventually brought her back, even knowing there was a very good chance that she'd kill him due to being a sinner. He truly was trying to make a world without sin, and felt that Ammit would be the way to prevent sinning rather than simply punishing sinners for their actions. Almost makes him a tragic villain, given just how devoted he was, and the fact that unlike so many villains like him, he was anything but a hypocrite, holding himself to the same standards as those he opposed.
It's a reasonable explanation, but I think this was important enough for them to not just leave it up to our imagination. Harrow also said that he enjoyed killing for Khonshu. I think it would have made him far more relatable and a better contrast to Marc if they showed us just what made Harrow change his mind about Khonshu, or vice versa.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So my wife has been watching "The Librarians" and I've seen a couple episodes as a result. Basically the best way I can describe it is if it were an SCP show but with no budget and they hired the writers from the closest mcdonalds. Oh my god this show is so fucking cheesy and dumb. My wife acknowledges it's super dumb and that's the main reason she's watching it, so she can make fun of it and doesn't have to be paying much attention to it. I mean, seriously, half the time stuff just happens because the writers want it to happen and most of the sets are so fucking cheap looking.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The really long applause this actor got during his intro in the beginning of Married season 7 was weird. Only ever saw/heard him in Scrooged and Hercules and didn't find his high voice that big of a deal. Don't wanna look him up, but I'm guessing Saturday Night Live or something. Scrooged came out in 1988 and Hercules in 1997. Is this really the only shtick he did for a whole decade?

After six seasons, we see Bud's room for the first time. Like the touch of the camera by his window.

Saw some people talk about Seven in a Married discussion and can already see why he is disliked. No need to change the formula. He's not funny.

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The really long applause this actor got during his intro in the beginning of Married season 7 was weird. Only ever saw/heard him in Scrooged and Hercules and didn't find his high voice that big of a deal. Don't wanna look him up, but I'm guessing Saturday Night Live or something. Scrooged came out in 1988 and Hercules in 1997. Is this really the only shtick he did for a whole decade?

After six seasons, we see Bud's room for the first time. Like the touch of the camera by his window.

Saw some people talk about Seven in a Married discussion and can already see why people dislike him. No need to change the formula.
That is Bobcat Goldthwait. Comedian and actor, Married season 7 probably happened around the height of his popularity. He is arguably best known for the Police Academy series. The voice affect is his stand-up sthick, and he carried it into every performance. And the applause... that was a different era. TV actor was still kind of < Movie actor in those days. So any "movie actor" guest starring would get a pretty big pop, or it was kind of expected. Especially on a fledgling network like Fox was then.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Stargirl: Season 2 (3/5)

Without hyperbole, the shift from season 1 to 2 of Stargirl is perhaps the most jarring shift in tone I've ever...EVER...seen in a TV series. Unfortunately, it's a shift that's accompanied by a drop in quality as well.

First, I'm going to deal with the genre shift. Season 1 was your run of the mill teenage superhero show, with all the trappings and cliches that entailed. Season 2, or at least a significant part of it, is a supernatural/horror show. And I'm not saying that in the sense of "it's a superhero show with those elements," no, I mean, for a good chunk of it, it is literally a show that would be right at home in the supernatural/horror genres, just with a few tweeks. And to the show's credit, it's really, REALLY good in this area. Granted, I'm not a big consumer of these genres, but even so...

Basically, the villain, Eclipso (more on him later) is able to generate hallucinations for the characters, and take the persona of a young, creepy kid (said kid really being creepy, and the actor for him doing a tremendous job - he's frankly more intimidating than Eclipso himself). The result is that you have a lot of characters experiencing hallucinations, to the extent that even the viewer can't be sure what's real and what isn't. For instance, any run of the mill conversation could have just been a hallucination, and there's an element of paranoia when it's established that only Doctor Mid-Nite's goggles can see through said hallucinations. Which is neat, except that means Beth needs to keep them on all the time, and every other character can never be 100% sure if what they're doing/seeing, even among family members, is real or not. And the stuff on display...well, let's just say that among said hallucinations is Yolanda fearing that she's going to be dragged into Hell, so, yeah.

So, that's all well and dandy, right? I mean, if we accept the steak-house analogy, then none of this is a problem. Looking at these elements in a purely objective sense, that's pretty neat, what are you on about, Hawki? Well, little Jimmy, let me explain how and why season 2 drops the ball in so many other areas that I can't help but mark it down.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
First, I'm going to deal with the characters. This is a mixed bag, with the season trying to spread out over so many characters and not really doing justice to them all, or arguably, even most of them. I'll come off and say it, Courtney and Patrick probably get the least character development here, and, okay, sure, they got the most in season 1, there's a rationale for giving the spotlight to other characters. However, the series just can't (or won't) give all of them due credit. So to this end, I'm going to briefly look at characters that appeared in season 1, and see how they fare in season 2:

-Mikey: Mikey benefits a fair bit in this season, but it's benefit that's limited. It arguably even retroactively harms his characterization in the prior season since it establishes that him ramming Icicle was actually an accident (boo), yet he's still torn up over the whole murder thing, btu not really, because if it's an accident it isn't murder, or something, yet hallucination!Cameron is still angry for him about it, yet he can't connect to Yolanda over it because...yeah, it's like the writers suddenly realized that Mikey was a murderer in season 1, resolved to address it in season 2, but couldn't agree on how. And beyond that, we have him deal with the Thunderbolt pen (which goes into Rakeem's hands), and a sort of arc that leads to him piloting STRIPE, except it isn't really an arc, so...yeah, Mikey gets more characterization here, but it's all over the place. I actually sort of prefer season 1 Mikey, because while we got less, it was more consistent.

Rick: Rick barely gets any character development here. There's his 'thing' with Solomon Grundy, him being arrested due to attacking his step-dad due to Eclipso's hallucinations (which is really just an excuse to get him out of the plot long enough), him turning out to be exceptionally intelligent in school, but this is all minor stuff. There's little about Rick's characterization that's "bad," but of the "Junior JSA," he gets the short stick.

Yolanda: Yolanda is somewhere in the middle here. The show, arguably wisely, harps in on the fact that she killed Brainwave, so that's bad enough, but when you consider that she's Catholic, and that Eclipso is pretty demonic, then things get interesting. Of the hallucinations Eclipso bombards the characters with, hers are arguably the most terrifying (in-universe at least). However, her arc sort of just splutters out, as she ends up giving up for a fair chunk of things, only to come back at the penultimate episode with none of her issues really resolved. Also, the season harps on the idea that Yolanda is Courtney's best friend, and I'm left to ask, "why?" Because she was the first friend she made in Blue Valley? Okay, sure, but "first" isn't the same as "best,' and how do Rick and Beth feel about that favouratism?

Speaking of which:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Beth: Beth easily gets the most character development in this season out of the JSA characters. Arguably, she gets the most character development, period. I mentioned in my season 1 review how not all powers were created equal, that Beth was the weak link in the team since her ability is simply based around wearing goggles and doing tech stuff. Season 2 doesn't change that, but it does address the issue, as she goes through everything from the prospect of her parents divorcing, to her meeting the original Dr. Mid-Nite, to discoverying her own self-worth, etc. It's not really anything new in fiction, but what it does, it does well. And since Beth is the one person that can navigate Eclipso's hallucinations without issue due to the goggles, it does boost her overall worth to the team.

So those are the original JSA members, more or less. Let's look at some of the other newbies:

Jennie: Poor Jennie. I get the sense that the writers either didn't know what to do with her, or they did know, but couldn't due to budget limitations (I have a sneaking suspicion that budget limitations might explain a lot of this season, but more on that later). Thing is, Jennie doesn't really do much, which is ironic, since the entire point of having a Green Lantern ring is that you can will pretty much anything into existence. Instead, she shows up at the start, shows up at the end, and doesn't really do, or change much in either example. But she still gets more compared to:

Jakeem: Jakeem is barely a character. He appears mid-season when the Thunderbolt pen ends up in his possession, then appears at the end, and is told by Mikey (offscreen) about the whole JSA stuff. Then he helps them in the final fight, boom, the end. It's really kind of astounding how little attention is given to him. Maybe the writers just forgot about him, maybe they just ran out of time, but meh, moving onto the ISA characters.

Cindy: This season tries to make me feel sorry for Cindy and...nah, sorry, she's still a *****. I think she's a ***** that has character potential, but she's a ***** all the same. The thing is, like a fair bit in this season, it can't seem to actually commit to fleshing her out. Yes, there's glimpses and flashbacks to her past, of her father turning her into Shiv and all that, but none of it is really fleshed out. But she does get more than:

Isaac: Isaac is emo and dies. Next!

Artemis and the Krocks: Christ, this is stupid. First, her parents. We're expected to forgive them by the season's end for briefly helping in the big bad fight, and despite having escaped from jail twice, at the end, they move nextdoor to Courtney. First, how do they expect to stay under the radar from the police, and second, do I have to remind you that Artemis's parents have killed at least four innocent people by this timeframe, not to mention that they were taking part in a plan that would have killed 25 million people? Hello? Anyone?

Also, Artemis doesn't fare much better, as she goes back and forth between being pissed that her parents are in jail from season 1, then grieved that her parents were actually shits, then...pissed that her parents were in jail, despite now knowing that they're shits? And why's she dressed like Casey Jones? I get that kids will want to look up to their parents, but Artemis is just all over the place. Doesn't help (or maybe it does) that she disappears after the mid-season fight, then reappears only in the very last scene.

Concerning other characters...well, what else is there? There's the Shade, who's pretty neat. Turns out that even in 2020s Americana that's stuck in the 1960s, British people still drink tea and like being evil (or something). Still, his motivations are kind of all over the place, but then, we have Eclipso. And...okay, I'll just say it, Eclipso's a lacklustre villain. He's a lacklustre villain that's portrayed really well when he's using his kid hallucination form (see above for when I covered this), but the fact that he looks like Ivan Ooze from Power Rangers aside, Eclipso is...okay, here's the thing. The Injustice Society of America characters always had ham to them (with a name like that, of course they would), but there motivations were at least understandable. Eclipso is...he's just evil. He's an evil guy who does evil things for evil reasons, talking evilly whenever he gets the chance. The result is that you get some extremely hackneyed dialogue, about light, and dark, and blah blah blah...gah. Yes, this kind of dialogue can work in fiction, but Stargirl, you ain't Star Wars. Not even Cindy is immune to this, who declares "I had to find my darkness [Eclipso] to counter your [Cindy] light." Oh, honey, no.

Oh, and Starman's back, who gives the same 'inner light' bullshit. Gah.

Point is, Eclipso is a drag. Also doesn't help that in the final fight (one of only three in the season) is the weakest of said three (remember what I said about budget?) Which is a shame, because the mid-season fight in the cafeteria is absolutely excellent. Probably the best in the entire series so far. But compared to season 1, season 2 has a lot less action, and one stellar fight scene in the middle can't make up for a dearth of it elsewhere.

Also, other random thoughts:

-So, plot twist, the risque photo that Henry leaked of Yolanda in season 1 was revealed to have been done by Cindy. Okay, fair enough, Cindy's a *****. What I don't get is why the Hell, in three plus months, did Henry never, EVER, say "hey, i didn't leak the photo?" Hello? Anyone?

-The Shadowlands concept is pretty neat, but anyone else getting flashbacks to Underworld!Storybrooke in Once Upon a Time? Replace the Shadowlands with the Underworld, replace Eclipso with Hades, replace Blue Valley with Storybrooke, and, well, y'kow...

Overall, this was a letdown. There was some good stuff, but the lacklustre far outweighs the good. I could enjoy the horror aspects on their own, but I'm evaluating a whole season, and in that regard...yeah. Massive step down.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Currently, Arrowverse rankings stand as:

23) The Flash: Season 7

22) Black Lightning: Season 2

21) Black Lightning: Season 1

20) The Flash: Season 5

19) Arrow: Season 3

18) Legends of Tomorrow: Season 3

17) The Flash: Season 4

16) The Flash: Season 6

15) Stargirl: Season 2

14) The Flash: Season 3

13) Supergirl: Season 1

12) Arrow: Season 5

11) Legends of Tomorrow: Season 1

10) Legends of Tomorrow: Season 2

9) Arrow: Season 6

8) Supergirl: Season 2

7) The Flash: Season 1

6) The Flash: Season 2

5) Stargirl: Season 1

4) Arrow: Season 4

3) Legends of Tomorrow: Season 4

2) Arrow: Season 2

1) Arrow: Season 1

Reactions: gorfias

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Currently, Arrowverse rankings stand as:
I checked out of Arrow early in Season 3.

Something about comic book worlds adapted for TV just don't feel like they work very well to me. I find they suffer from repetition very badly. There are character cycles that go round and round with just a little too much in the way of melodrama rather than drama. There's only so many times you can watch a supervillian escape from the lunatic asylum to cause death, destruction and havoc before you think they should just kill him. Comics have a reluctance to kill off characters properly, or carry out permanent change (X has lost his powers! Oh wait, next season they've been magically restored). But this makes comics feel to me like they don't have consequences. And if there aren't consequences, nothing matters.

So I can slog through series of police procedurals where the same arcs just repeat and repeat, but there's something about superhero stuff that just makes me glaze over with disinterest much faster.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I can't remember if you ever said why you're doing this, so, why are you doing this? Watching the whole Arrowverse I mean.
I never said I was.

The list you see above is a list that's been formed since...huh, December 30, 2018. It technically goes back even further if you consider that Arrow Season 1 was released in 2013. I've got lists like this for a number of things over a number of medias - just a bit of fun.

I'm sort of on an Arrowverse binge now, because if I watch one series, I try to keep in that series if it's available. So, chose Stargirl Season 1 through a "meh, why not" decision, quite liked it, went through the newly delivered season 2 (didn't like it), and close to the end of it, Superman and Lois season 1 came across my desk (literally), so decided to give that a try. If/when it stops being practical to watch Arrowverse seasons, I can direct my focus elsewhere, and try and stick in that series as long as possible.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

Skip to around 15:50. Jesus Christ, I already hated how they treated Ackbar in TLJ, but to pull that shit with his actor is genuinely awful and disrespectful.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland

Legit some of the best content I've ever seen on Youtube, and so wholesome too. There's something universally adorable about seeing people's faces light up with childlike wonder and amazement. It's awesome.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Ep 1 &2

I'm struggling not to put any context for my feelings going into this, but I will say I went in cynical and angry. I'm pleased to say it was probably an 85% pleasurable experience. I've been hankering for a new star trek where they actually do exploration and approach morality puzzles and this fit the bill nicely. Theres a far more joyful approach to be found here with logical reservation. No character is especially whiny or longwinded, but also no screams "FUCK YEAH" when they fire phasers. Its almost like these are adults doing an actual job. I know a lot of these characters were introduced on Discovery, but theyre new to me so I dont have any preconceived notions about any of them.

The first episode does a brief introduction to Captain Pike. Apparently he's semi retired because he saw his future where he gets mutilated and dies and so he's a bit of a hermit. Star Fleet pulls him back in due to an emergency in which a planet thought to have developed warp drive technology actually found it too early due to some fuck up that happened in Discovery(figures) and is about to use it to blow themselves up in a World War. Ultimately Pike and team have to convince them to settle their dispute peacefully and join the federation instead. While we've seen this kind of story before its not a bad launching off point, telling viewers "hey look SNW isn't going to be just ships shooting at each other.". There's hints that Pike is still suffering PTSD, but that he's navigating his way to moving past it in part by seeing the value he's bringing to the more hopeful and excited crew.

The second episode focuses on the Enterprise trying to stop a comet that's about to destroy a planet harboring a pre-warp species. Once again the crew faces moral debate about interfering with other species and cosmos. I liked it quite a bit. At least for now I'd give this series a recommendation. It seems like they've taken the hint and dialed back the heavy handed drama as well as returned to a largely contained episodic format.

The biggest argument I can see is that if you have every episode of Star Trek memorized these first two will seem familiar. That said, Star Trek is also about engaging characters and so far I'm pleased. I'm two episodes in and I don't hate anybody yet. That's a big change from the last two shows. I'm not yet ready to sing it's praises, but I'm having a good time.