What have you learned today?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
That subway guy who turned out a bit dodgy, turned out way way more dodgy than first reported. And yet again the police doing a bang up job of ignoring women who come to them with knowledge and even evidence of their crimes.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that two Formula 1 drivers, Charles LeCLerc and Carlos Sainz (Ferarri teammates,) are doing voice acting for the upcoming Buzz Lightyear movie, LeClerc doing the Italian version and Sainz the Spanish. Apparently they're voicing the same character in their respective versions, but which one is being kept a secret.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In the 30s there was a conference to discuss the attacks of submarine pirates of unknown origin in the Mediterranean.

In reality, though, everyone knew it was the Italians, but some people pretended not to for political reasons.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Not surprising, when actually it should never be surprising that powerful forces too small for the naked eye to observe can be incredibly harmful. Willful ignorance prevails until it doesn’t I suppose.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Not surprising, when actually it should never be surprising that powerful forces too small for the naked eye to observe can be incredibly harmful. Willful ignorance prevails until it doesn’t I suppose.
True, exposure to high powered X causing Y injuries is not that surprising. But I'm reading that as "death rays are theoretical possible" which sounds more interesting.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
In the 30s there was a conference to discuss the attacks of submarine pirates of unknown origin in the Mediterranean.

In reality, though, everyone knew it was the Italians, but some people pretended not to for political reasons.
For some reason this feeling like the plot of Porco Russo, except with sub pirates rather than air pirates.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The term "going balls out" refers to the flyballs on an engine's governor and not... anything to do with unzipping your fly. When and engine is overspeeding the flyballs on the governor are being forced outward by centrifugal force which causes it to throttle the engine and bring it back under control.

This is an example of a governor from an old steam engine or something.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Those governors were pretty cool, arguably the first example of an automated self-regulating device, at least for serious industrial processes. There's probably various small sorta kinda examples, though.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The term "going balls out" refers to the flyballs on an engine's governor and not... anything to do with unzipping your fly. When and engine is overspeeding the flyballs on the governor are being forced outward by centrifugal force which causes it to throttle the engine and bring it back under control.

This is an example of a governor from an old steam engine or something.
Interesting. But I refuse to believe that device wasn't designed with male genitalia in mind. There was some 19th century alpha male that "knew" cars needed "balls." And we haven't evolved beyond that to this day...

1654002658928.png

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Anyone paying for recycling bin/disposal may want to rethink where their money is going for this “service”.
*Sigh* Y'know there's enough shit in the world that this kind of news isn't helpful. I'm going to continue to "recycle," if only for the placebic benefit.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
*Sigh* Y'know there's enough shit in the world that this kind of news isn't helpful. I'm going to continue to "recycle," if only for the placebic benefit.
Some of the non plastic stuff might at least find its way to a better place, so yeah there’s still that at least.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, a lot of it is a scam. OTOH, some stuff legit can be recycled, so worth a try.