The Alarm Is Sounding On NFTs

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Ah, the intricacies of 'bored ape NFT' social hierarchies of course 🤌
Just had to pop in here to remind everyone the "bored ape" one is especially funny, if not outright tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement NFT's are a scam.

"Bored Ape Yacht Club" NFT's are procedurally-generated via AI, right? And, the whole schtick with NFT's is the possessor in some (but not all, or even most) cases supposedly hold copyright, right?

Yeah, only works created by a human are entitled to copyright protection. As decided by federal courts in the aptly-named Naruto v. Slater, a case which involved -- I shit you not -- PETA filing suit on behalf of a macaque that took a selfie, claiming the monkey owned the image's copyright and the photographer who set up the camera for the monkeys to take selfies, can't profit from it. Which was later elaborated upon by the US Copyright Office, ruling AI-generated images can't be copyrighted.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

The EU is looking into creating a uniform regulatory framework, and the requirement to hold a license in order to become an issuer. Also a safeguard whereby the issuer could be held liable if consumers' assets dramatically lose their value.

A welcome move to prevent exploitation and scammery, but... fucking hell, a bit late, isn't it?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Lol, WeB 3 gAmEs. Also, the logo is basically the Gamecube logo

Lol, should Nintendo decide to send in the lawyers, for once I'd be on their side. Kicking in crypto teeth. It's a good thing.

And the best part: these bozos didn't bother securing the www.poliumone.com domain.

So some magnificent madlad bought it and made it redirect to https://web3isgoinggreat.com/

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And the best part: these bozos didn't bother securing the www.poliumone.com domain.

So some magnificent madlad bought it and made it redirect to https://web3isgoinggreat.com/
Y'know, there's "rank amateur" and then there's "infant banging on a keyboard". For guys acting as though they're bringing us to the future of the Internet, forgetting to register your own domain name careens directly into the latter.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
They only want to take preorders or money after they managed to show their prototype (estimated in November).

So while it might be unprofessional, unrealistic and/or misguided, at least it doesn't seem like a scam which elevates it far above the average crypto project. Usually those collect money first.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
They only want to take preorders or money after they managed to show their prototype (estimated in November).

So while it might be unprofessional, unrealistic and/or misguided, at least it doesn't seem like a scam which elevates it far above the average crypto project. Usually those collect money first.
After they've made a "prototype" perhaps, but before the console itself is actually built. They still want you to pay money before the product you're 'buying' exists.

"We will take pre-orders before the console’s hardware is completely built" (from their FAQs).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ok, so I was wrong. The Polium logo is not a ripoff of the Gamecube logo, or of the likewise similar PQube logo. It's a recolor of the Poliigon logo (a website for 3d assets) with the corners smoothed, making the Polium one a, drum roll, asset flip.

No worries tho, they're working on a new logo.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Ok, so I was wrong. The Polium logo is not a ripoff of the Gamecube logo, or of the likewise similar PQube logo. It's a recolor of the Poliigon logo (a website for 3d assets) with the corners smoothed, making the Polium one a, drum roll, asset flip.
The guy who runs that website is a big Jordan Peterson fan and all-round dickhead.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The guy who runs that website is a big Jordan Peterson fan and all-round dickhead.
Is he now? Well, whatever, don't particularly care about him or his site beyond the logo similarities. Tho if they started a bitchslapping contest between them, that'd be swell.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

No worries tho, they're working on a new logo.

So it's a box with a PS controller on it? And it plays NFTs?

In all seriousness, WTF even is this? And who is this even for?

Lol, WeB 3 gAmEs. Also, the logo is basically the Gamecube logo

Lol, should Nintendo decide to send in the lawyers, for once I'd be on their side. Kicking in crypto teeth. It's a good thing.

God I hope all the games are terrible rip-offs of actual games. Games such as:
-Hyper Marius Siblings
-Ping
-Killers Motto
-Lethal fightin
-The saga of Zenda
-The 2nd to last of us
-Metallic Cog
-Turbo the Rodent
-Purple Monkey Dishwasher
-Guys stealing cars
-Black Spirits
-Last Dream...nevermind, that's an actual thing
-Elite Shooting
-Medal of Duty
-Punchperson

and many more.....

Last edited:

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
In all seriousness, WTF even is this? And who is this even for?
It is (or supposedly will be ) a wallet interface usable with controller and a pre-made wallet able to operate on several chains.

Theoretically that would be a useful product if NFT-based web3 gaming actually were to take off and people would be as open to interoperability as they claim.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
In all seriousness, WTF even is this?
Assuming it's *not* an outright scam (I'm in a whimsical mood) it's got to be something along the lines of a techbro blockchain version of the Stadia.

You know, because a lack of techbro cryptodouche shitfuckery is what held the Stadia back.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
But my computer already plays games.
It is specifically for people wanting to do the NFT based games of the future and to reduce the annoying hassle the NFT parts introduce. And it is for console gamers, not PC gamers.

Now, i don't think this will work at all because NFT based gaming will never work well enough to compete with regular games which means there is no customer base
Yeah but does it play them at 8k resolution, 120 fps and with ray tracing on (fucking nice one if it does)... and while we're going with unrealistic promises from techbro douchelords, does it also dispense rainbows and blowjobs?
It is a console for people rich enough to use NFTs meant to come to the market years in the future. They might actually get that kind of performance then, but it won't be impressive anymore, nor particularly cheap.

The problem is finding any NFT games that can use this properly. Everything in development looks either low effort or downright scammy. As it takes years to make good games, there still won't be any when they want to launch that thing.

Reactions: Dalisclock