Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Overlord is great stuff. Then again, I'm biased to automatically like anything that has Iain De Caestecker.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Last Night in Soho on HBO-MAX (2021)

Frustrating. Like a train wreck you cannot take your eyes off of.

This movie starts out with a terrific premise: a mousey 2021 girl, no explanation needed, begins to experience the life of a 1965 (when Thunderball was made) glamorous girl. This is a fun fantasy and I looked forward to seeing where it would go.

Where it goes is nasty and as morally confused as Wandavision. Terrible horror movie ensues.

At least we get to see Diana Rigg in it.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Overlord is great stuff. Then again, I'm biased to automatically like anything that has Iain De Caestecker.
He's just been in some BBC drama ("The Control Room") as an emergency services operator. I think you could consider giving that a miss, as I was deeply underwhelmed.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Nope - 2/10

Really horrible movie.

What do you think of Peele’s other movies? Guessing this was way worse even if you didn’t like them either? I mean, 2/10 is usually reserved for those “this movie really hit a bad nerve” kinda shit lists.

Anyways, Thor: Love and Thunder.

It’s all getting a bit long in the tooth in terms of where this whole…what phase even is this anymore? Individual performances are par for the course, with Bale being a pleasing standout as Gorr. Kinda glad to see Thor and Jane’s romance reach its conclusion and end on a bitter sweet note. To the point, it’s not as fun a trip as Ragnarok, but also not as dire as something like End Game at least.

What I’m really kinda curious about is where they’ll go with Brett Goldstein as Hercules, with how well he pulls off the gruff A-hole with a big heart as Roy Kent in Ted Lasso.. Should be a fun dynamic with him and Thor playing off each other, as he’s also been a some-time ally of the Avengers in the comics.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
What do you think of Peele’s other movies? Guessing this was way worse even if you didn’t like them either? I mean, 2/10 is usually reserved for those “this movie really hit a bad nerve” kinda shit lists.
Get Out is a solid 8/10. Us was rather entertaining but extremely flawed (5/10) with it's convoluted plot explanation for everything happening; the premise was great and there were a bunch of great, tense scenes, but the explanation to it all was like Metal Gear levels of ridiculousness. Nope is so bad it's like some weird prank where Peele bet someone he could make a shit movie and still get rave reviews or something. It has the plot of a schlocky B-movie that usually knows what it is and has fun with itself but it's played completely serious the entire time.The movie is shot well, looks good for what it is, the actors are fine to good especially the chick.

Looking at the user reviews for Nope on IMDB, out of the first 25 reviews, the highest score is a 7/10 and there's only 3 of those, most scores are 2s and 3s.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The Warriors

(Own copy)

Rating: 6 / 10

Review / thoughts tagline: Distilled essence of nihilism.

Premise:

A guy has come to power in one of the larger street gangs and has worked to set up a truce between the gangs for 1 night for a meeting. At the meeting he reveals his plan for a revolution. The Street games unite and stop fighting over territory but instead control it and run the city and take over the USA city by city to take what they see as being stolen from them by authorities and other systems. The guy is promptly shit by some-one in the crowd who then frame the gang "The Warriors" for it. The Warriors must now get home back to their home turf while every other gang and a ton of cops who showed up are after them.

Thoughts: Jesus this film is nihilistic. like characters are implied to be dead and the last thing you see of them is them getting beat up or dropping onto tracks before a train comes. These no noble ends here and it's very clear some of the Warriors are far from noble people themselves. Characters just die and the others just have to carry on, no whilstful talk about how they'll be missed or fought well or will be remembered they're just dead and life has to go on. Throw in a female lead who absolutely embodies the ideal of nihilism and not truly caring and it even almost subverts romance tropes in films with a pretty brilliant sequence that shows the difference in standards between the street punk gang level and what is seen and more higher class society and the pure disparate worlds each inhabits and the leader of the Warriors sits next to the female lead having just survived a gang brawl with both of them worse for wear, cut and bruised while across from them sits some teens clearly coming back from prom with their dates.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Warriors
(Own copy)
Rating: 6 / 10
The original novel is so much worse and even more nihilistic and depressing (which is the point). The movie is a garden of roses by comparison. Plus, the Warriors aren't the aggressors like they are in the original novel. Hell, no one's after them in the original novel, and they have a completely different gang name in the book. I can't remember because it's been too long. You want truly nilistic? Watch Black Lagoon. Even most of the Warriors will look at the entire cast of that show with either disdain, or wanting nothing to do with them.

This and Streets of Fire are my favorite Walter Hill movies. These movies led to the inspiration of Double Dragon and Final Fight & Streets of Rage, so these movies both have an important part of Japanese and Western culture.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Bullet Train

It's a dumb, dumb, dumb (but fun) movie with Brad Pitt in a Kurt Russell in Big Trouble in Little China type of role. And the movie can thank its lucky gods I'm making that comparison. It's nowhere near as good but I was reminded a lot of Jack Burton in what's essentially a version of Hotel Artemis (if anybody remembers that) but on a train as envisioned by discount Guy Ritchie.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bullet Train

It's a dumb, dumb, dumb (but fun) movie with Brad Pitt in a Kurt Russell in Big Trouble in Little China type of role. And the movie can thank its lucky gods I'm making that comparison. It's nowhere near as good but I was reminded a lot of Jack Burton in what's essentially a version of Hotel Artemis (if anybody remembers that) but on a train as envisioned by discount Guy Ritchie.
From the trailers I was hoping it was going to be better than how you and others have described. Oh well, will probably watch it when it hits streaming.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Another Round (Druk)

A fairly faithful but wholly unsanctioned adaptation of my dad and his brothers' life story. I would sue but then Netflix would settle with a comedy special and I simply don't have enough material to carry 65 minutes.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The original novel is so much worse and even more nihilistic and depressing (which is the point). The movie is a garden of roses by comparison. Plus, the Warriors aren't the aggressors like they are in the original novel. Hell, no one's after them in the original novel, and they have a completely different gang name in the book. I can't remember because it's been too long. You want truly nilistic? Watch Black Lagoon. Even most of the Warriors will look at the entire cast of that show with either disdain, or wanting nothing to do with them.

This and Streets of Fire are my favorite Walter Hill movies. These movies led to the inspiration of Double Dragon and Final Fight & Streets of Rage, so these movies both have an important part of Japanese and Western culture.
Is Black Lagoon a cartoon? https://www.funimation.com

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Manga first, anime second. Don't expect anything for a long while, as the series has been on a long hiatus. The creator of the IP is having mental health issues, and is taking a long break.

I've not seen any so this is new to me.
One can set up a free account here https://www.funimation.com and it has this show. Likely have to watch commercials. I have to do that on Hulu and I am paying for that!

I'm looking forward to checking it out.

EDIT: Trying to turn off the child lock as this is an adult show. And I just read funimation is going to be added to something called crunchyroll so, I'm reviewing that.
EDIT: Dang. It's behind a paywall on Crunchyroll.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Watched Lightyear on Disney+ and I guess the Mouse got too nervous about that gay kiss after all and censored it out. This isn't even the usual case of Disney not allowing gay content in their movies, that scene was already there. I'd heard about some movie theaters censoring that scene, and now it seems Disney has gone ahead and did it too.

Mind you this is fine for Disney.
299fa4eb98b7595582e58366a642adb6.jpg

Also this.
lilo and stitch.jpg

But not a same sex peck on the lips though. Fuck you Disney!

Anyway, the movie itself is whatever. Buzz looks like a weird sausage man, and Chris Evans is REALLY not a good voice actor. We've grown to tolerate big name actors doing voices in animated movies over the years, but this just puts it into perspective again. Also, starting the movie off with 'in 1995, Andy wanted a toy because of this movie' already made me wanna turn the movie off before it even began. Way to suck yourself off there Disney. And why the hell would he want a Buzz Lightyear toy after seeing this movie? That cat robot would be the thing that he'd be clammoring for... oh wait, I get it now. Fuck you Disney!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Watched Lightyear on Disney+ and I guess the Mouse got too nervous about that gay kiss after all and censored it out. This isn't even the usual case of Disney not allowing gay content in their movies, that scene was already there. I'd heard about some movie theaters censoring that scene, and now it seems Disney has gone ahead and did it too.

Mind you this is fine for Disney.
View attachment 6724

Also this.
View attachment 6725

But not a same sex peck on the lips though. Fuck you Disney!

Anyway, the movie itself is whatever. Buzz looks like a weird sausage man, and Chris Evans is REALLY not a good voice actor. We've grown to tolerate big name actors doing voices in animated movies over the years, but this just puts it into perspective again. Also, starting the movie off with 'in 1995, Andy wanted a toy because of this movie' already made me wanna turn the movie off before it even began. Way to suck yourself off there Disney. And why the hell would he want a Buzz Lightyear toy after seeing this movie? That cat robot would be the thing that he'd be clammoring for... oh wait, I get it now. Fuck you Disney!
Wasn’t censored here.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It is here. All they get to do is look at eachother and then the scene cuts. And it's weird cuz I'm in the Netherlands, the first country to legalize gay marriage. 🤷‍♂️
I'm guessing they only uploaded the censored version to Disney+ because that's just easier for them

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Buzz looks like a weird sausage man, and Chris Evans is REALLY not a good voice actor. We've grown to tolerate big name actors doing voices in animated movies over the years, but this just puts it into perspective again.
What exactly is wrong with him? Seemed fine to me in the trailers. Unlike that Kung Fu Panda ripoff with Sam Jackson, now that was blatantly obvious bad voice acting from the trailer alone.