Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What exactly is wrong with him? Seemed fine to me in the trailers. Unlike that Kung Fu Panda ripoff with Sam Jackson, now that was blatantly obvious bad voice acting from the trailer alone.
He's supposed to look recognizable as the Buzz Lightyear toy, but still look like a living breating human, and he's awkwardly stuck inbetween. They either should've just stuck to the cartoony look, or just gone for a different (realistic) artstyle. As is it doesn't feel like the toy and it doesn't look human enough either (coupled with the realistc rendering and lighting).

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm guessing they only uploaded the censored version to Disney+ because that's just easier for them
Disney+ has been censoring a bunch of stuff though. Both Splash and Adventures in Babysitting had a good going over.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Gentlemen - 10/10

Okay not actually a perfect movie, but fuck me if I didn't laugh all the way through. Its also my second favourite role of Charlie Hunumn, behind Raleigh Beckett in Pacific Rim - fight me! - because his very put upon Raymond is a treat. Actually everyone is amazingly well cast; a real return to form for Guy Ritchie.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Finding Altamira

Antonio Banderas plays an amateur historian with a sassy daughter who discovers cave paintings that are thousands of years older than the establishment/church will accept, and gets in strife. Quite decent, though bit of a flat ending.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Just watched Prey (the movie not the game), and it was alright. A moderately successful attempt at making a sequel to a dead and decaying franchise.

It was nice to see the Predator return to a wilderness environment. Not a city, not an alien -but not really alien- wilderness, and not a whatever The Predator was going for. The Predator franchise has always opted for kinda larger than life characters, but here things are kept quite sober and down to earth, and while I do miss it it manages well enough with the characters it has. I wish the dialoge could've been done in an actual indigenous language, but instead most is (rather modern sounding) english with some indigenous phrases and words sprinkled in here and there. The acting is not great. Not terrible, but not great. And there's some really bad dialoge on occasion.

The movie has a very strong PG-13 vibe, but despite that it really puts some folks through a blender. You get decapitations, you get spines being removed, and you get pointy bits of metal penetrating fleshy surfaces. The action is decent enough and there's some nice kills.

The main character holds her own, but she doesn't have too much of a screen presence. Though neither does anyone in this movie really. Well, except maybe for the dog.There were a couple of moments were characters just jumped to conclusions that they naturally shouldn't have yet, and times where there's some extreme plot armor.

Overall, eh, it was nice to see a Predator sequel that didn't make me cringe or feel embarrassed. So, cleared that bar atleast.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
He's supposed to look recognizable as the Buzz Lightyear toy, but still look like a living breating human, and he's awkwardly stuck inbetween. They either should've just stuck to the cartoony look, or just gone for a different (realistic) artstyle. As is it doesn't feel like the toy and it doesn't look human enough either (coupled with the realistc rendering and lighting).
I was talking about Chris Evans. I do agree that Buzz looks off putting.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
PREY 9/10

Honestly, you can not tell this is a hulu film. Seems very high budget, the action, cinematography and predator design is wonderful. Very impressed they pulled this off. Its hard to really rank it against the other films. I like them all about the same for different reasons. This one is very much back to basics, but not a retread of the first film. Its totally its own animal.

They did a really good job of telling a story and pulling the predator into it, similar to the way Dutch is in the jungle for a reason in the first film, the predator comes into this film amongst an already in progress story so the narrative doesnt feel like it needs the predator to carry it from A-B.

I tried watching the commanche dub at the start, but it is quite literally a dub with the cliche out of sync audio. I dont want to spoil anything but the English ends up working in the context of the story. You do have an actual plot element that justifies them speaking in English and youre like "oh ok, that makes sense now". Whomever came up with that idea should get paid more.

I think I generally consider Predators to be my favorite film in the series because its kind of one big love note the fans with the predators going up against smart criminals and paramilitary in a sort of action packed thrillride, I would place this one closer to Predator 2 in that it takes a bit to get going and the majority of the payoff is in the second half. This one will go on my shelf next to 1&2 and one Ill happily watch again next time Im in the predator mood.

I had some nitpicks, but theyre minor like "I have questions". Nothing where I could angrily claim it wouldn't work the way it does in the film.

I dont really want to talk spoilers considering it just came out and not everyone has gotten to see it, but yeah stick around through the first string of credits for your easteregg, fans already know what its gonna be.

Last edited:

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
House of 1000 Corpses, 2/10

Straight fucking garbage. That's all I really need to say. One of the most annoying and overall unpleasant viewing experiences I've had in a long time. Feels like a movie made by some dipshit teenage edgelord who pesters you to watch gore videos with him because "it's so gnarly dude!" There's no plot, likable characters or nearly anything of merit here. The only thing it has going for it are occasional moments of visual flair with the whole Halloween haunted house aesthetic, but it's completely ruined with the editing, the music and just... fucking everything about this pile of vomit. The visual style and editing are legitimately nauseating at times, and multiple times the movie just gives up and becomes a music video, which Rob Zombie just should have made instead. Because as a film this is straight up amateurish. I have to stress the editing, because it feels like it was made by someone with severe ADD on coke. It's so jumbled, ugly and messy that it was close to giving me a headache. There's no consistency or purpose to anything, it's just constantly throwing different stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks: framerate changes, sepia tone, negative colors, random inserts, jump cutting, slo-mo, the list goes on and it's annoying beyond words.

I'm legit puzzled by who this film is supposed to be for. It can't be for horror fans because it's not scary or original. It can't be for gorehounds because for all its posturing there's actually fairly little violence in it. Do Rob Zombie fans like this crap? Are they all mush-brained edgelords who just enjoy the Halloween aesthetic and people screaming? Because that's the only possible demographic I can think of for this dogshit.

Finally - and this is something I wasn't expecting - I find this movie to be in genuinely bad taste. Having delved a bit into true crime and deep web stuff recently, I just find the aesthetic this movie puts on quite morally repugnant. Like I said, it's not scary. Instead it presents all this shock value like, again, an edgy teenage dipshit who goes "Whoooa duuude, isn't that messed uuup? Whoooa, it's so gnarly duuuuuude!" Unlike in other serial killer horror movies, the presentation isn't used to unnerve the viewer (like, say, Silence of the Lambs) or establish an atmosphere of dreamlike, inescapable horror (Texas Chainsaw Massacre for example). The film legitimately thinks it's cool. And in doing so becomes impossibly lame and annoying.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Agema

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
House of 1000 Corpses, 2/10

Straight fucking garbage. That's all I really need to say. One of the most annoying and overall unpleasant viewing experiences I've had in a long time. Feels like a movie made by some dipshit teenage edgelord who pesters you to watch gore videos with him because "it's so gnarly dude!" There's no plot, likable characters or nearly anything of merit here. The only thing it has going for it are occasional moments of visual flair with the whole Halloween haunted house aesthetic, but it's completely ruined with the editing, the music and just... fucking everything about this pile of vomit. The visual style and editing are legitimately nauseating at times, and multiple times the movie just gives up and becomes a music video, which Rob Zombie just should have made instead. Because as a film this is straight up amateurish. I have to stress the editing, because it feels like it was made by someone with severe ADD on coke. It's so jumbled, ugly and messy that it was close to giving me a headache. There's no consistency or purpose to anything, it's just constantly throwing different stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks: framerate changes, sepia tone, negative colors, random inserts, jump cutting, slo-mo, the list goes on and it's annoying beyond words.

I'm legit puzzled by who this film is supposed to be for. It can't be for horror fans because it's not scary or original. It can't be for gorehounds because for all its posturing there's actually fairly little violence in it. Do Rob Zombie fans like this crap? Are they all mush-brained edgelords who just enjoy the Halloween aesthetic and people screaming? Because that's the only possible demographic I can think of for this dogshit.

Finally - and this is something I wasn't expecting - I find this movie to be in genuinely bad taste. Having delved a bit into true crime and deep web stuff recently, I just find the aesthetic this movie puts on quite morally repugnant. Like I said, it's not scary. Instead it presents all this shock value like, again, an edgy teenage dipshit who goes "Whoooa duuude, isn't that messed uuup? Whoooa, it's so gnarly duuuuuude!" Unlike in other serial killer horror movies, the presentation isn't used to unnerve the viewer (like, say, Silence of the Lambs) or establish an atmosphere of dreamlike, inescapable horror (Texas Chainsaw Massacre for example). The film legitimately thinks it's cool. And in doing so becomes impossibly lame and annoying.
I dont think edgelords is quite the right demographic. That would more Eli Roth faire, Hostel and films like that. Theres nothing edgy about House, I think the most insulting thing about it is how ho-hum the whole thing is. With a title like that the one thing it should not be is boring and some how it is. Theres genuinely fun horror genre parodies out there like the "Hatchet" trilogy, the "Wrong turn" series or the insane "Feast" movies, but house is straight to dvd filler crap propped up purely on its attachment to Rob Zombie and I just dont get it. Im not a fan that sort of horror, but I can still recognize passion and this does not have it. Rob clearly did not have any intention of making something of any quality. Theres no "heart" or investment here. He just threw shit on the screen until he got bored.....imo.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The Gentlemen - 10/10

Okay not actually a perfect movie, but fuck me if I didn't laugh all the way through. Its also my second favourite role of Charlie Hunumn, behind Raleigh Beckett in Pacific Rim - fight me! - because his very put upon Raymond is a treat. Actually everyone is amazingly well cast; a real return to form for Guy Ritchie.
I almost gave up on Guy Ritchie because I haven't liked a movie of his since Snatch and all his movies feel so same-y, but The Gentlemen was awesome.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I almost gave up on Guy Ritchie because I haven't liked a movie of his since Snatch and all his movies feel so same-y, but The Gentlemen was awesome.
I'll be honest, they kind of are outside of Sherlock Holmes and Man from UNCLE - which I love. The man has a niche and goddamn if he's not great inside of it. Lock Stock, Snatch, Rockenrolla, The Gentlemen are all really fun movies. Hell I even kind of like King Arthur whenever it was just being medieval Snatch and not an epic fantasy movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Theres genuinely fun horror genre parodies out there like the "Hatchet" trilogy, the "Wrong turn" series
The Hatchet Trilogy got worse and sillier as more films got made. Even worse for Wrong Turn. I stopped after the second movie (best in the franchise and one of my favorite horror films), and end it there. They're still making sequels to WT. Also, I would not call Wrong Turn a parody. The first film while having some humor, mostly played it straight. Wrong Turn 2 had a bit more self-awareness, but not a straight up parody. The rest of the sequels are straight up late 2000s horror home video trash, with not much going on. Wrong Turn 4 has a hot interracial lesbian scene, but that's about it.

Just watched Prey (the movie not the game), and it was alright. A moderately successful attempt at making a sequel to a dead and decaying franchise.
PREY 9/10

Honestly, you can not tell this is a hulu film. Seems very high budget, the action, cinematography and predator design is wonderful. Very impressed they pulled this off. Its hard to really rank it against the other films. I like them all about the same for different reasons. This one is very much back to basics, but not a retread of the first film. Its totally its own animal.

They did a really good job of telling a story and pulling the predator into it, similar to the way Dutch is in the jungle for a reason in the first film, the predator comes into this film amongst an already in progress story so the narrative doesnt feel like it needs the predator to carry it from A-B.
Ironic how all the Prey titles involve Native Americans. Or maybe it's coincidence.

I saw Prey and it is masterclass action horror. S Rank, baby! Easily in my top 3 Predator films!

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I watched Lethal Weapon, a movie I had never seen before. And a movie series popular enough that I suspect most already have an impression of what a Lethal Weapon movie means, but it was new for me so odds are it could be new for someone else.

If you've ever seen a movie that seems to be trying to be a whole pastiche of an 80's style cop movie, odds are you could just watch Lethal Weapon and say "This, basically." to say what they're trying to imitate.

My understanding is that this is the movie that started the trend of buddy cop movies. I can see that, since it is the contrast and the relationship between the two leads that is the movie's strongest aspect, so it is only natural that people would imitate that working dynamic. With the family man Murtagh and the lonely, suicidal Higgs we are given some characters to both contrast each other and to grow to like.

The plot itself? It starts with a woman having killed herself, and the plot concerns our leads trying to solve that case, which involves a large scale drug operation. This totally lost me. Normally with a police procedural you get to see the case being laid out and the police connecting the dots while interrogating witnesses to let the viewer be part in the solving process. In this movie: no such luck. I lost track of how many times our leads went to a place to find things out and it immediately turned into a shoot-out. It was almost comical, and I didn't get a strong sense of the psychology that made the bad guys act how they did, leaving me with the thought "Well, I guess this just happened." rather than "Oh, I see why they'd do that.".

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I dont think edgelords is quite the right demographic. That would more Eli Roth faire, Hostel and films like that. Theres nothing edgy about House, I think the most insulting thing about it is how ho-hum the whole thing is. With a title like that the one thing it should not be is boring and some how it is. Theres genuinely fun horror genre parodies out there like the "Hatchet" trilogy, the "Wrong turn" series or the insane "Feast" movies, but house is straight to dvd filler crap propped up purely on its attachment to Rob Zombie and I just dont get it. Im not a fan that sort of horror, but I can still recognize passion and this does not have it. Rob clearly did not have any intention of making something of any quality. Theres no "heart" or investment here. He just threw shit on the screen until he got bored.....imo.
I dunno, I'd rank "sexually harassing someone while wearing the flayed skin of their friend" fairly high on the edge-o-meter. And I'd argue there's a decent amount of heart and passion on Ho1kC, even if it's misplaced passion. If nothing else, the sets and locations are quite lavish and characteristic, so the love for the whole Halloween aesthetic does come across. The problems start when Rob Zombie realized he had to make a movie, and not just set up decorations for a Halloween party.