Do you think Sony will come out with a half way console upgrade again?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
So we are soon entering into the third year of the PS5's life. Year 3 was when the PS4 Pro was released, will we see something similar for the PS5?

It seems like it would be a good move considering that it's still hard to find a PS5.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
^^ It would make sense now more than ever since apparently we’ll never be out of these tucking shortages. All those hardware engineers should be brainstorming more than ever on how to downsize chips and other critical components for efficiency. Selling less can’t be seen as preferable to them.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
^^ It would make sense now more than ever since apparently we’ll never be out of these tucking shortages. All those hardware engineers should be brainstorming more than ever on how to downsize chips and other critical components for efficiency. Selling less can’t be seen as preferable to them.
"Hey Chip manufacturers, do you know those assembly lines you have set up that you can't even work properly as-is because of worldwide supply shortages? Let's set up a totally new assembly line next to it! That'll help, right?"

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I believe they will. The PS5 doesnt fully support 4k 60hz on all games. I dont own a ps5 but I if recall correctly some games you still have to choose fps or quality so I imagine the pro will remove that issue and add some other functionality. It will definitely be running on the next amd chips. It will definitely come with larger onboard storage. 2TB specifically.

Im also betting the PSVR2 will only be supported on PS5 and have PS5 pro upgrades.

I think Sony is a long way away from a PS6, in this market theyll likely just do a Pro with some minor upgrades, improved chips and storage.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Wouldn't a PS5 Pro be equally, if not even more, difficult to find?
I'm assuming that for a new release they would go into full production again and be able to make a better bid on whatever assembly line or parts they need and it would work out better for whatever corporate nonsense number magic is required for funding.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm assuming that for a new release they would go into full production again and be able to make a better bid on whatever assembly line or parts they need and it would work out better for whatever corporate nonsense number magic is required for funding.
I would not bet any amount of anyone's money on that actually happening.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Never happen. The shortage isn't in Off-The-Shelf parts its in the custom AMD chips they use. No chip maker is running at full production at the moment because of a shortage of various resources... so either they'd have to pay AMD enough to cut their own lunch regarding their other products (and the legal shitfuckery that would trigger) and possibly get into a moneyfight with Microsoft because the new Xbox also uses a (different) custom set of AMD chips *OR* pay AMD enough to get into a moneyfight to secure the resources against chipmakers owned or used by every major tech corporation on the planet, including Apple and Samsung, two corporations who spend millions every year suing each other.

Sony couldn't afford to wear that kind of cost and trying to pass it down to the consumer would make the console way too expensive to be viable.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
"Hey Chip manufacturers, do you know those assembly lines you have set up that you can't even work properly as-is because of worldwide supply shortages? Let's set up a totally new assembly line next to it! That'll help, right?"

This has always been the process in general though. Reconfiguring lines for greater efficiency in all respects is more of a necessity than ever before. It's practically a given that console makers would've never gone as heavy on the tech end this time around if they knew in advance how much the pandemic would bottleneck things. I guess the upside is investment in new fab construction has gone into overdrive even domestically.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
With all that said, I think a PS5 Pro is probable but not until demand for the base models severely declines.
In a way, they just released the 3rd PS5 model.

200 grams lighter! Lower power usage. 144 hz support.

Still this doesn't seem like the leap PS4 OG to PS4 Pro was. I hope for better.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I am counting on one.

I bought a PS5 had for a few months, then sold it. I played the games I really wanted to play on it (Demons Souls remake, Elden Ring, Horizon 2) and then it was this huge hot ugly thing uglifying my room and I got rid of it while the market is hot for it. I thought I'd at least want to play Ragnarok but I'm so over sequels and franchises that I can wait a couple years on that.

So... I do love PS games and will want a PS5 in a year or two to play Ragnarok and Spiderman 3. But I don't want that fugly jizz whale monstrosity in my home.

Like u/Dirty Hipsters, I want a "slim." I have an XBox Series S and it is honestly the greatest video game system I ever had- it's just a modest, wel, box, that shuts up and plays my games. So please Sony, gimme that, but with Spiderman, and I'll give you money again.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I am counting on one.

I bought a PS5 had for a few months, then sold it. I played the games I really wanted to play on it (Demons Souls remake, Elden Ring, Horizon 2) and then it was this huge hot ugly thing uglifying my room and I got rid of it while the market is hot for it. I thought I'd at least want to play Ragnarok but I'm so over sequels and franchises that I can wait a couple years on that.

So... I do love PS games and will want a PS5 in a year or two to play Ragnarok and Spiderman 3. But I don't want that fugly jizz whale monstrosity in my home.

Like u/Dirty Hipsters, I want a "slim." I have an XBox Series S and it is honestly the greatest video game system I ever had- it's just a modest, wel, box, that shuts up and plays my games. So please Sony, gimme that, but with Spiderman, and I'll give you money again.
It probably isn’t a coincidence how the two best PS designs (imo) have also had the highest lifetime sales.

Hint: It’s the even numbered ones.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It probably isn’t a coincidence how the two best PS designs (imo) have also had the highest lifetime sales.

Hint: It’s the even numbered ones.
You think the design of the console matters that much? Nothing to do with the games?

I dunno why people have such a hate for the Ps5's look. I think it's better than the fucking refridgerator of the new xbox and even if it was ugly as shit. It's behind my TV and you can't even see that shit.