Bayonetta 3 Thread

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm loving the new gameplay mechanics already. They're literally taking elements from Astral Chain and Scalebound. They even have the summons switching attacks! Viola plays like Raiden. Doing a perfect parry grants you Witch Time! Bayonetta 3 is going to be a complete Game changer. It is going to said another new standard for action games and how they play.
I haven't been following all the news, but I just played the first two this year and like them very much so your post makes me happy. All I'll want is another ridiculously stylish action brawler combo fighter that judges me harshly for my crap skills but still lets me beat the game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm loving the new gameplay mechanics already. They're literally taking elements from Astral Chain and Scalebound. They even have the summons switching attacks! Viola plays like Raiden. Doing a perfect parry grants you Witch Time! Bayonetta 3 is going to be a complete Game changer. It is going to set another new standard for action games and how they play.
Looks awesome, I love how she danced when her demons are summoned. I did notice something weird about that vid though, I've seen it on a few other games, mostly from Japan where the main character is a woman. They like to have some weird line about the player helping the main character or something like that, just really weird. I feel like Viola might be one of those characters that tries too hard, but we shall see.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've seen it on a few other games, mostly from Japan where the main character is a woman. They like to have some weird line about the player helping the main character or something like that, just really weird.
That is nothing new to gaming. They've done that with Directs before, regardless of the character being male, female, or a group of people. Where they addressed the viewers/gamers in the second person. Western gaming was guilty of the same thing for most of its run, since the Atari age. The Western side doesn't use it as much now, but it's still comes up from time to time.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That is nothing new to gaming. They've done that with Directs before, regardless of the character being male, female, or a group of people. Where they addressed the viewers/gamers in the second person. Western gaming was guilty of the same thing for most of its run since the Atari age. The western side doesn't use it as much now, but it's still comes up from time to time
I think its especially creepy when used with a character like Bayonetta. I mean it just puts images in my head of her randomly turning to the camera and going "Oh help player, I can't do this on my own, I need a big strong man to help" while chewing on her finger.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think its especially creepy when used with a character like Bayonetta. I mean it just puts images in my head of her randomly turning to the camera and going "Oh help player, I can't do this on my own, I need a big strong man to help" while chewing on her finger.
I never felt any vibes from that. If you feel uncomfortable, it is fine, but I think reading too much to in it. I get what you mean, and gaming has had this problem before many times (Tomb Raider 2013), but it's just another line reading to get the players amped up. This was done plenty of times with games geared towards kids and teens (especially during the 8-bit and 16-bit days), with adults too as the market changed and evolved. That is all I have to say on this matter.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I never felt any vibes from that. If you feel uncomfortable, it is fine, but I think reading too much to in it. I get what you mean, and gaming has had this problem before many times (Tomb Raider 2013), but it's just another line reading to get the players amped up. This was done plenty of times with games geared towards kids and teens (especially during the 8-bit and 16-bit days), with adults too as the market changed and evolved. That is all I have to say on this matter.
I mean you don't see it with male mains... That I remember. So to me it just feels like its directly pandering to male players that would be offended if they were playing as a girl instead of just helping her out like the real men they are. I think the closest I remember for male mains is the line being something like "Join so and so on an adventure."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean you don't see it with male mains...
Actually, we have. We just don't remember all of it. I looked at old ads, printed or TV, or the back of video game boxes/cd cases that has wording such as: help Mario, Crash, or Pac-Man on their quest to etc. Not every game did this back in the day with male characters, but there were plenty.
I think the closest I remember for male mains is the line being something like "Join so and so on an adventure."
There were plenty of variations of that too. You feel that way, okay. Me personally, I don't see the big deal in this particular case of Bayonetta as Platinum and Nintendo know their audience more than well enough. Be aware and alert, but don't let old wounds cloud your judgement. Take care now.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I hope the gameplay is actually that fast and flashy. I worry because the switch aint exactly a powerhouse of a device.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I hope the gameplay is actually that fast and flashy. I worry because the switch aint exactly a powerhouse of a device.
It will be fine. Platinum got Bayonetta 2 to work on the Wii U and, run on the Switch even better. Astral Chain ran good on the Switch as well. Do not underestimate them. Don't even worry that much. Just go and have fun.