Gungrave GORE - The Return of PS2 Stylish Shooting Action

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Games comes out November 22 of 2022! Getting a pre-order for this! Coming out on all PlayStation and XBOX platforms.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I never did play the first PS2 game, but I remember my friends being all hyped about the trailers. Then reviews came out and it was just considered a crappier version of Devil May Cry.

I think there was some anime at some point. Was this even much of an IP even back in the day?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then reviews came out and it was just considered a crappier version of Devil May Cry.
A majority of them are full of shit. The first game is basically DMC, but with guns and acts like a port of an arcade you never heard of. The original while not having the most "depth", still required skill to get the best and highest rankings. A crappier version of DMC is DMC2 and X-Blades. Gungrave did well enough to get Overdose, but that game is absolute crap, and got positive reviews from most "professional critics". Overdose has some good ideas, but bad level design, boring and tedious bosses for most of the game, the campaign is stretched too long, and is not fun on repeat playthroughs.

I think there was some anime at some point.
Yes. A 26 Episode anime. You will either love it or hate it. I thought it was fine, but not something I needed to see again.

Was this even much of an IP even back in the day?
Yes. The IP is still niche, but it still does have a cult following. The recognition from its inception in 2002 to 2005. After that not much was said other than how great the original holds up. The VR game happened in 2019 to garner interests in the IP and did well enough. Opinions are mixed on it though, and I would not go out of my way to play a VR version of something that is always meant to be a 3rd person arcade shooter.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
A majority of them are full of shit. The first game is basically DMC, but with guns and acts like a port of an arcade you never heard of. The original while not having the most "depth", still required skill to get the best and highest rankings. A crappier version of DMC is DMC2 and X-Blades. Gungrave did well enough to get Overdose, but that game is absolute crap, and got positive reviews from most "professional critics". Overdose has some good ideas, but bad level design, boring and tedious bosses for most of the game, the campaign is stretched too long, and is not fun on repeat playthroughs.

Yes. A 26 Episode anime. You will either love it or hate it. I thought it was fine, but not something I needed to see again.

Yes. The IP is still niche, but it still does have a cult following. The recognition from its inception in 2002 to 2005. After that not much was said other than how great the original holds up. The VR game happened in 2019 to garner interests in the IP and did well enough. Opinions are mixed on it though, and I would not go out of my way to play something that is always meant to be a 3rd person arcade shooter.

The thumbnail on that last vid seems…disturbingly appropriate.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Damn, can we play as that guy in the thumbnail in the first vid? I wanna play as that guy, not this edgy loser with a bad haircut who looks like he crawled out of Ride to Hell Retribution.
Also not into the 3D skull in the top left doing the same repeated animation over and over, it's very distracting.
Game looks neat otherwise

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Damn, can we play as that guy in the thumbnail in the first vid? I wanna play as that guy, not this edgy loser with a bad haircut who looks like he crawled out of Ride to Hell Retribution.
Grave looks great. I love the original cowboy get up. but his look here is basically a modified version of his Overdose outfit. There is a pre-order costume that makes him look more grimmish and has a cowboy hat, and there are unlockable costumes by beating the game. I bet the og costume will show up at some point.

Also not into the 3D skull in the top left doing the same repeated animation over and over, it's very distracting.
The same thing can be said for the skull in the PS2 titles. This a YMMV type situation, so nothing bothers me here, and I will be too busy shooting things to care.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
The same thing can be said for the skull in the PS2 titles. This a YMMV type situation, so nothing bothers me here, and I will be too busy shooting things to care.
I think the difference for me is in the PS2 version the skull is fairly static at idle, and only moves when prompted for something like the gauge refilling. In GORE the skull is always moving in the exact same way perpetually until interrupted with something else. It's a minor difference, but, one that I notice.

Grave looks great. I love the original cowboy get up. but his look here is basically a modified version of his Overdose outfit. There is a pre-order costume that makes him look more grimmish and has a cowboy hat, and there are unlockable costumes by beating the game. I bet the og costume will show up at some point.
From a back view it looks semi-decent, but I can't get behind the look from the front. Again, the haircut is not selling it for me. I think what I like that is missing here is the same vibe that Cvit said in the PS2 Gungrave review... The look was similar to Trigun's big, cowboy-esque coats that are tattered and shredded in a really detailed and striking way. It's a vibe I personally like a lot more than what Overdose and GORE are giving us

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This game has everything I wanted in a Gungrave sequel. Upgradeable moves and stats, more shooting options, gap closers, execution moves, and human shields. This game is a straight up arcade shooter! No exploration, but shoot and shoot some more! Any expecting otherwise is an idiot and did not pay attention to the marketing, nor know what the series is all about.

I know game had some apparent glitches before release or balancing issues, but patch 6GB already came out before I got the game, and so far everything works fine at Normal difficulty. I always play on Normal anyway, but I know some of the reviewers started on Hard mode (You can switch difficulties anytime at the menu). You all have certain points, but that's all on you. I've done the first three stages so far. Why did the third stage have to be a sewer level? Loving the game, and I will put more of my thoughts as I get further.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I traded in this game for Sonic Frontiers. I am never playing GG Gore again. I'll keep the forum in case anybody wants to chime in.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You can't just 180 that hard and not share what happened? We need the lore to this character arc defining moment!
Forced platforming. Jumping sucks. Switch to a character that is not fun to play, and is basically a brawler character in a third person shooter. She has even more platforming and falling insta-kills you. I'm stuck on her stage and not even worth the frustration. I will trade in a game for something else later this evening. Game gets repetitive and there are about 20+ something stages. Would have been better off as a shorter game like the original.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This will probably be the last thing I'll post video related on this topic.