The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's basically the entire crux of the argument against Easy mode in Souls games. Because while a few people will play as hard as possible, most people will not put in that kind of effort.
And in a game as big as ER, for most in judging myself it would probably be a nightmare without those go-to win options. At least, completionist-wise.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
To be fair, I played the game back in 2015 when it came out on a buddies PS4. So when I played it on my own profile to finally beat the game, I'd already seen most of the game. Also Bloodborne was really really easy for me for some reason. My first encounter on Orphan saw a kill in 5 attempts, and he was supposed to be the hardest fucker in Souls history until Melania.

Frankly I think Midear in DS3 is still the hardest fight, I have not yet beaten him and don't think I ever will.
Midir was probably the hardest for me too, compounded by the rather lengthy run back. He had an Olympic size health pool and attacks that could one shot even high level Vigor. I don’t even remember how I did it but did end up saving the recording for posterity.

Plaximedusa dragon in ER was like, barely a speed bump. But it did have a similar laser light show that gave me one of my best moments in the game somehow dodging it all on my winning attempt. Literally like ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Plaximedusa dragon in ER was like, barely a speed bump. But it did have a similar laser light show that gave me one of my best moments in the game somehow dodging it all on my winning attempt. Literally like ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit.
That's the thing with ER, and the problem that highlights the terrible game balance. Because if you had an epic fight with this dragon and it does this huge laser light show at low health, and you have to scramble and dodge to get your final hits, it would be an epic fight.

But if you run in with a mimic tear and a Corpse Piler, or Comet, or any number of things, the fight lasts only like a minute and you can even skip the light show.

I think that's the core of why ER is such a disappointment. Because the bosses are broken in a typical Souls setting, with all the limits of that combat system. But they are also jokes when fought on ER terms. So it's really hard to tell if it's just poor design (which I find hard to believe from this team) or it's just a change in policy that doesn't work.

And I also don't believe that the OP shit in ER is unintentional. They've done balancing consistently through the game's release. And it isn't like there was one weapon art that was a problem. Or one spell. There is a LOT of stuff that absolutely destroys shit in ER, which suggests that was the intended thing. They want you to build yourself into a powerful mage, or katana wielder, or massive sword user, or whatever, but whatever it is you choose, you should be powerful by the time you're done.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's the thing with ER, and the problem that highlights the terrible game balance. Because if you had an epic fight with this dragon and it does this huge laser light show at low health, and you have to scramble and dodge to get your final hits, it would be an epic fight.

But if you run in with a mimic tear and a Corpse Piler, or Comet, or any number of things, the fight lasts only like a minute and you can even skip the light show

I think that's the core of why ER is such a disappointment. Because the bosses are broken in a typical Souls setting, with all the limits of that combat system. But they are also jokes when fought on ER terms. So it's really hard to tell if it's just poor design (which I find hard to believe from this team) or it's just a change in policy that doesn't work.

And I also don't believe that the OP shit in ER is unintentional. They've done balancing consistently through the game's release. And it isn't like there was one weapon art that was a problem. Or one spell. There is a LOT of stuff that absolutely destroys shit in ER, which suggests that was the intended thing. They want you to build yourself into a powerful mage, or katana wielder, or massive sword user, or whatever, but whatever it is you choose, you should be powerful by the time you're done.
Maybe that’s the thing, and partly why I didn’t mind the change in that regard. I mean, we’ve already had six games that tore us new assholes at least on a few occasions. So even if it took a while, just being able to build a king shit character that can do the same to bosses for a change felt pretty fucking good actually lol.

The holy grail imo will be procedural or physically based damage modeling in combat heavy games like this, including more destructible environments where appropriate. That would really change how people play and how AI behaves.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
They want you to build yourself into a powerful mage, or katana wielder, or massive sword user, or whatever, but whatever it is you choose, you should be powerful by the time you're done.
And then they punish you for it in end-game with Maliketh flying around non-stop, Malania's water fowl, and Elden Beast running away like a *****, each of which negates one or more of those supposedly over-powered things.
Like, yeah, I got the comet azure thing because I saw people on youtube blasting enemies into oblivion and I was playing as a mage anyway. And it was the only way I could handle Astrel of the Never-ending Face Slams from Off the Screen. But just try that sh** with Maliketh, lol.

No, the thing that lets those of us who are not great at games to platinum ER is the thing that lets you re-spec. Going back and forth between bleed and rot cheeser and spell casting distance spammer at will was my trick.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok so instead of griping about the game I'm gonna start a replay. I dunno, I'm done/bored with everything else and I want to run around a world that will murder me while listening to records. Since I already got platinum I don't care if I beat it just wanna faf about.

Trying to decide which type of build/character to go with. Platinum run was mostly intelligence mage castor with switch to bleed katanas on hardest bosses and end game.
So I'm torn between faith incantation focus because of fire, frenzy and healing, or unga bunga STRENGTH smasher.

My hesitancy with faith is that there are healing for co-op but I don't play co-op, I don't have the PS+ online thing and I don't wanna subscribe because I have GamePass and I'm not doing two game subscriptions. I remember trying to cast spells at bosses and it felt like it took my guy an hour to cast it whlile the boss flew around the screen 7 times and murdered me twice so... bleh.

Similar hesitancy with strength, being slow, but I do like smashing things, and previous run was me trying to be quicker than the quick bosses and I don't need to do that again.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Ok so instead of griping about the game I'm gonna start a replay. I dunno, I'm done/bored with everything else and I want to run around a world that will murder me while listening to records. Since I already got platinum I don't care if I beat it just wanna faf about.

Trying to decide which type of build/character to go with. Platinum run was mostly intelligence mage castor with switch to bleed katanas on hardest bosses and end game.
So I'm torn between faith incantation focus because of fire, frenzy and healing, or unga bunga STRENGTH smasher.

My hesitancy with faith is that there are healing for co-op but I don't play co-op, I don't have the PS+ online thing and I don't wanna subscribe because I have GamePass and I'm not doing two game subscriptions. I remember trying to cast spells at bosses and it felt like it took my guy an hour to cast it whlile the boss flew around the screen 7 times and murdered me twice so... bleh.

Similar hesitancy with strength, being slow, but I do like smashing things, and previous run was me trying to be quicker than the quick bosses and I don't need to do that again.
Do a STR+FTH build. They go pretty well together.