Trump guilty of sexual abuse and defamation

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Don't know, but if there were, you'd think Trump would hold to it and shut up?
No, but I'm wondering if its one of those things where you can get a speedy trial afterward, like you just talk to the judge and show the evidence and its done or something.

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
On June 21, 2019, E. Jean Carroll published an article in New York magazine that stated that Donald Trump had sexually assaulted her in late 1995 or early 1996 in the Bergdorf Goodman department store in New York City.

Why did she decide to sue him now? 28 years later...lol

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
On June 21, 2019, E. Jean Carroll published an article in New York magazine that stated that Donald Trump had sexually assaulted her in late 1995 or early 1996 in the Bergdorf Goodman department store in New York City.

Because making sexual assault allegations against rich, powerful businessmen is often met with harassment, abuse, threats, and retaliation, as well as being damaging for someone's future romantic and professional relationships, while having a very low chance of success. This is well known by those who work with victims of sexual assault.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Plus, not sure if you heard, but there was a little thing in 2017 that was done specifically to make victims of sexual assault from men/women in power feel more open about coming public. Something about someone named Harvey Winestone, or something like that. Had been sexually abusing actresses for literally decades before someone finally decided to blow the whistle on him, and then plenty of other people decided to back them up because they had a supporting voice. MAY have heard of it.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country

Why the fuck do you think that question has any relevance to anything at all?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Dunno, they seem to have a lot of voice and power for a small group, seems that society is listening to them.
You lived in a time where Prime Minister (eg. Howard/Abbott) were claiming that their beliefs aligned with the 'Quiet Australians' and pretend that this was a majority of the country... when actual fact they were 'quiet' because there weren't actually many in that group

It's like that

Yes, there are people in the US that praise Trump for raping women like they did at the CNN town hall a few nights ago. It is probably about 20 to 28% of the typical US voters. But this group has totally alienate most independent and many GOP voters

This listening you are talking about is just corporations and institutions pandering to that group. Think of 'woke Disney' but in reverse. They are just chasing the dollar signs

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Trump stated that this article was not true. Carroll sued him for deformation

It's not a rape case, per se. Otherwise, he would be in jail. It's a deformation case. She was only defamed in 2019, after that article

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
As per the jury, she is a victim, no matter what you think of her character. The fact that she can't bear pity and therefore dislike the label of victim does not mean she is not a victim.
Just to piggyback

Remember, on this forum, when we were told we had to feel sorry for Spicer for being punched on camera?

Spicer being an a-hole that was deliberately stirring up trouble does not mean he wasnt the victim of physical abuse

Lastly, IMO Carroll is doing exactly what GOP lawmakers say they want from rape victims. I.e. move on and say they arent victims

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Don't ever put me in the same category as you. Didn't need it; didn't ask for it. You and gorfias are the only ones dishonest here.
I didn't put you in the same category as me, I didn't say you agreed with me or anything like that, I just complimented your honesty. Other people here are pretending that have serious concerns for the well-being of this woman who at the time of the event was a 53 year old celebrity with a long, successful writing career and her own tv show. She was already a multi-millionaire before this court decision. If this spat between eccentric millionaires didn't involve Donald Trump, none of the people arguing with me would be declaring their deepest sympathies for the rich lady who said rape is sexy. You are the only one willing to say you're only here to dunk on Trump.
As per the jury, she is a victim, no matter what you think of her character. The fact that she can't bear pity and therefore dislike the label of victim does not mean she is not a victim.
I didn't call her not a victim, I said she isn't "victims" in response to someone who took me doubting his compassion for Carroll as an accusation that he has no compassion for victims of sexual assault in general. She is not representation of victims in general, you should not think of her interaction with Trump as identical in circumstance to a raped college student.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
This wasn't a criminal case.
No, but it centers on the accusation that a crime was committed. The claim is based on a criminal injury.

Asking the question of whether rape occurred in a particular case obviously requires us to engage with the status and definition of rape as a crime.

Their ruling directly indicates "rape probably didn't happen" in this case. Not that it was unproven, but that it was unlikely.
The jury is not equipped to answer the question of whether rape did or didn't happen. They can only speak to the evidence provided in the trial and whether it met their personal understanding of the required standard of proof. We have absolutely no idea what the logic was behind their decision. Inferring or speculating about it is pointless and demonstrates a disregard for everyone involved.

The reason noone is buying your crocodile tears about "real victims" is because the fear of disbelief is something that keeps "real victims" from coming forward and which protects rapists from the consequences of their crimes, and frankly people aren't stupid enough to believe that engaging in vacuous speculation about the veracity of people's claims of being sexually assaulted is anything other than a deliberate attempt to maintain that climate of fear.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I didn't call her not a victim, I said she isn't "victims" in response to someone who took me doubting his compassion for Carroll as an accusation that he has no compassion for victims of sexual assault in general. She is not representation of victims in general, you should not think of her interaction with Trump as identical in circumstance to a raped college student.
So in other words, what you said was "Given her character, I cannot believe anyone would feel compassion towards her.".

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
The reason noone is buying your crocodile tears about "real victims"
Or I never said the words you're scare-quoting.
So in other words, what you said was "Given her character, I cannot believe anyone would feel compassion towards her.".
Not at all. Rather, actual compassion is considerate of a person's feelings and circumstance. Is it compassion to take an empowered, successful adult who doesn't think of herself as a rape victim and treat her as a child who just doesn't know better?

Reactions: gorfias

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Or I never said the words you're scare-quoting.
And the verdict of this case never used the words "rape probably didn't happen."

We are indulging in the stylistically incorrect practice of quoting paraphrase. I assumed you knew that.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
And the verdict of this case never used the words "rape probably didn't happen."

We are indulging in the stylistically incorrect practice of quoting paraphrase. I assumed you knew that.
Yeah sure, congratulations. If your only argument is grammar, I assume you have no disagreement left.
How is that happening?
Well, the first post expresses the hope that she'll get peace of mind from her dramatic experience, and the person being spoken about said she doesn't see herself as a victim and was motivated to sue to clear her own name. That sort of disconnect between her words and the response to them suggests she doesn't understand her own feelings, like a child.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Not at all. Rather, actual compassion is considerate of a person's feelings and circumstance. Is it compassion to take an empowered, successful adult who doesn't think of herself as a rape victim and treat her as a child who just doesn't know better?
There most certainly is a thing called condescending compassion, and there is also putting all people with certain characteristics in the same category in a way that is contrary to their wishes. The thing though is that while she is not a "victim in general", nobody is. That categorization does not exist other than as an abstract. We can look at more details of her to find out more of what her character is and find her wanting but that does not remove her from the category of victim of sexual abuse. It is compassionate to acknowledge that suffering, regardless of anything else about her.

Secondly: you called her a "loony" earlier. How is that compassionate?