If DeSantis wins

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and quacks like a duck... it's a near 100% chance it's a democrate with a duck whistle.
If it is an insincere display, it could also be Trump supporters who don't want DeSantis to challenge Trump.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It is not implausible that white supremacists might vote for Ron Desantis. What's implausible is those people thinking "hey, you know what would help Desantis win the presidency? If we put his face next to swastikas in front of Disney World!"
Yep, and that's also why thousands of Trump supporters (among them nazi's) totally didn't storm the Capital to overthrow the election, because they knew that would make Trump look bad. Neo-nazis didn't show in support of an anti-trans rally in Melbourne either, right? If they did, it was a total coincidence and had nothing to do with the extremist rhetoric from the "gender critical" movement.

If you attract nazi's, you attract nazi's. You're not going see shitheads like this with signs in support of Biden or Bernie Sanders, or anyone else who isn't part of the GOP true believers. By your logic they would since they would obviously want to make, especially Biden, look bad. And yet they're not doing that... odd.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If you attract nazi's, you attract nazi's. You're not going see shitheads like this with signs in support of Biden or Bernie Sanders, or anyone else who isn't part of the GOP true believers. By your logic they would since they would obviously want to make, especially Biden, look bad. And yet they're not doing that... odd.
GOP operatives don't try to tie Democrats to Nazis, they try to tie them to communists.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Why, precisely, do you think that every LGBT advocacy group, doctor, pharmacy, lawyer, politician, and trans person in Florida has decided to make completely obvious lies?

Because on the entire internet, the only person that thinks this isn't happening is you
Post the text of the bill that mentions adults and prove it's not a lie. It's literally the easiest way to prove your point but you won't do the bare minimum.

She resigned after being investigated for blatantly bullshit reasons. If you professor had done that, you wouldn't shut up about it.

But here's another example anyway, from a university that DeSantis had rules crafted to have the governor appoint trustees to, who immediately installed a unqualified political operative
Any source that she resigned?

You cannot possibly have written that with a straight fucking face.
I don't see the point in renting when it's more expensive, it's supposed to be cheaper to rent something because you don't own it and can't make anything back at all when done renting. Why would I rent something that is as expensive or more expensive (per month) when I can own it? If I rent at those type of prices, then I can't save up anything to own in the future. My realtor (when I was looking for condos) asked once if I was open to rent because she had plenty of places to rent and I'm like not unless it's like half the price per month of owning or else it's not worth it and she goes 'it's actually more expensive'. I asked then 'why would I rent then?' and she's 'yeah, I told my kids to never rent either'.

A deeply, wildly unserious boy.
I'm very serious, I'm just the most ridiculous person in the least ridiculous manner.

It's hardly implausible. Politicians who aggressively campaign as authoritarian, right-wing strongmen are liable to enthuse and earn the support of authoritarian, right-wing voters.
Lol @ Desantis being a authoritarian right-wing strongman. Can we stop with the massively over-exaggerated labels? His covid policy was one of the least authoritarian in the world...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Any source that she resigned?

She resigned after being investigated for blatantly bullshit reasons.
Hmmm... technically that's true, but it's a bit misleading. She submitted her resignation letter before the incident. So although the resignation took place afterwards, it's highly likely that she would have resigned anyway, unrelatedly.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Post the text of the bill that mentions adults and prove it's not a lie. It's literally the easiest way to prove your point but you won't do the bare minimum.
"I don't care how many people say what it's doing in plain language, both supporting and protesting the law, you need to trawl through the Florida state government's bill posting site for me to quote legalise that I'll immediately misinterpret because I'm the best lawyer on the planet"

Anyway

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Lol @ Desantis being a authoritarian right-wing strongman. Can we stop with the massively over-exaggerated labels? His covid policy was one of the least authoritarian in the world...
Lolol, just like me, I am not an authoritarian, I am very permissive when it comes to racism, antisemitism, gun violence, public health, pollution, women abuse, homophobia, and fascism.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
If I rent at those type of prices, then I can't save up anything to own in the future.
Fuck me running. How do you state the issue and still not see the issue? Have you been resting your head on the microwave while you make popcorn? Do you spread lead paint on your toast?

I'm very serious, I'm just the most ridiculous person in the least ridiculous manner.
... You have definitely called yourself a sigma male unironically.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Man you can't even maintain consistency within the same damn line lol.
I also like how forcing to people to go INTO work during a pandemic is the least authoritarian option. That is a very weird definition of 'not authoritarian'... mainly because it's clearly authoritarian

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I thought I might put this in here because trans rights have come up a lot

Top Sporting Body Backs Hormone Limit For Trans Women | Racing and Sports

The Australian Sports Commision has updated its transathelete policy as well as going through some individual sports organisation opinion

It's based on hormone levels but can other genetic components like height and weight
Yup. This will definitely not end up leaving cisgender women excluded from sports. Oh wait. It has.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yup. This will definitely not end up leaving cisgender women excluded from sports. Oh wait. It has.
Well, that the problem with a) having an exclusionary league b) having definitions. No definition will cover every instance

Eg. Assigned at Birth assumes that doctos assign the children properly when born. And in 99% of cases they do. But that means you have automatically excluded 1%

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Pandemic policies temporarily restricting certain freedoms were not authoritarianism, except in the minds of the hysterical. Covid ended, and those policies went away. Well, in the West, anyway. One could contrast that to, for instance, 9/11 and other Islamofascist terrorism: despite a vastly lower loss of life, cost and threat, it left us with a vast, ongoing legacy of powers that the state assumed and refused to surrender even when the threat died away.

Secondly, it's failing to really understand what authoritarianism is about. Limitations of freedom tend to occur under authoritarianism, but they are a symptom of the core project rather than the core project themselves. Authoritarianism is the amassing of centralised power and suppression of dissent against that centralised power. They can allow lots of freedoms... as long as those freedoms don't significantly interfere with their authority.

If you want an insight into the mind of De Santis, you just need to consider that he assaulted Disney's rights of local governance over it's little patch of Florida. Not for legal infractions or mismanagement, you understand, but just because Disney disagreed with him publicly on a LGBTQ+ issue. A deeper delve into De Santis's policies would reveal that he has in fact introduced a steady raft of measures that have increased the control that the Governor of Florida can exercise over public and private activities in the state, and reduced civil liberties in all manner of ways (education, rights of protest, etc.).

When De Santis says that with two terms in office he will "destroy leftism in America" (What does this mean to you, as a man who claims to vote Bernie Sanders?) Note the above, about suppressing dissent as part of authoritarianism. De Santis doesn't think the left should be allowed a meaningful political voice. How's he going to do this? Should we take a look at Florida as an example, because De Santis himself invites us to. It means control: control over what people can learn, imposing right wing stooges over institutions, removing political opponents from office on spurious grounds.

De Santis has recently argued that the FBI should be purged of non-approved officials (defined, implicitly, by him) and lose its independence from the presidency. He can put this in all sorts of pretty ways about it losing its way and not serving the people, but how do you think an FBI under tight direction of the politically partisan president and filled with politically correct stooges of his choosing is going to end up being used? Wasn't loading SCOTUS 6-3 enough, especially given the context of the Democrats winning the popular vote in every presidential election since 1992 bar one?

De Santis has spent his political career institutionally transferring power and control the office he occupies, and is busy telling us he would do the same and then some as president. We can call this authoritarian.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Man you can't even maintain consistency within the same damn line lol.
Huh? DeSantis isn't overly authoritarian. Just because he's a republican that gets national coverage doesn't mean he's authoritarian.

Hmmm... technically that's true, but it's a bit misleading. She submitted her resignation letter before the incident. So although the resignation took place afterwards, it's highly likely that she would have resigned anyway, unrelatedly.
Ah

"I don't care how many people say what it's doing in plain language, both supporting and protesting the law, you need to trawl through the Florida state government's bill posting site for me to quote legalise that I'll immediately misinterpret because I'm the best lawyer on the planet"

Anyway
Stop replying with tweets as proof (plus tweet is unavailable anyway). Literally just copy/paste the text from the bill that mentions adults, how hard is that?

Lolol, just like me, I am not an authoritarian, I am very permissive when it comes to racism, antisemitism, gun violence, public health, pollution, women abuse, homophobia, and fascism.
Because DeSantis is *TOTALLY* a fascist... This is why we can't actually have discussions in this country anymore.

Fuck me running. How do you state the issue and still not see the issue? Have you been resting your head on the microwave while you make popcorn? Do you spread lead paint on your toast?

... You have definitely called yourself a sigma male unironically.
I see the issue and literally pointed it out. I've talked about how liberal run cities actually block more affordable housing at basically every turn yet you guys don't like to hate on your own team when they constantly fuck up... People do have the option to buy condos vs renting apartments so why rent? I understand if literally everyone did that, there's not enough condos to go around then but there's a reason there's not enough of that type of housing (because the bills that allow more of that housing are constantly vetoed by your preferred politicians). It's just common sense/logic that renting SHOULD BE cheaper than owning, it's why leasing a car is cheaper per month than owning. That's why I never been interested in renting an apartment at the prices they are at.

Also, you might want to get over to South Korea to stop the massive right-wing fascism apparently going on over there. Koreans eat 2 meals a day and eat real foods and apparently that type of diet is very right-wing so they must be about to fall to fascism any day now. Just random video that popped up in my feed. Funny how that's exactly all I said to do diet-wise and you claimed that's right-wing rhetoric somehow...

Pandemic policies temporarily restricting certain freedoms were not authoritarianism, except in the minds of the hysterical. Covid ended, and those policies went away. Well, in the West, anyway. One could contrast that to, for instance, 9/11 and other Islamofascist terrorism: despite a vastly lower loss of life, cost and threat, it left us with a vast, ongoing legacy of powers that the state assumed and refused to surrender even when the threat died away.

Secondly, it's failing to really understand what authoritarianism is about. Limitations of freedom tend to occur under authoritarianism, but they are a symptom of the core project rather than the core project themselves. Authoritarianism is the amassing of centralised power and suppression of dissent against that centralised power. They can allow lots of freedoms... as long as those freedoms don't significantly interfere with their authority.

If you want an insight into the mind of De Santis, you just need to consider that he assaulted Disney's rights of local governance over it's little patch of Florida. Not for legal infractions or mismanagement, you understand, but just because Disney disagreed with him publicly on a LGBTQ+ issue. A deeper delve into De Santis's policies would reveal that he has in fact introduced a steady raft of measures that have increased the control that the Governor of Florida can exercise over public and private activities in the state, and reduced civil liberties in all manner of ways (education, rights of protest, etc.).

When De Santis says that with two terms in office he will "destroy leftism in America" (What does this mean to you, as a man who claims to vote Bernie Sanders?) Note the above, about suppressing dissent as part of authoritarianism. De Santis doesn't think the left should be allowed a meaningful political voice. How's he going to do this? Should we take a look at Florida as an example, because De Santis himself invites us to. It means control: control over what people can learn, imposing right wing stooges over institutions, removing political opponents from office on spurious grounds.

De Santis has recently argued that the FBI should be purged of non-approved officials (defined, implicitly, by him) and lose its independence from the presidency. He can put this in all sorts of pretty ways about it losing its way and not serving the people, but how do you think an FBI under tight direction of the politically partisan president and filled with politically correct stooges of his choosing is going to end up being used? Wasn't loading SCOTUS 6-3 enough, especially given the context of the Democrats winning the popular vote in every presidential election since 1992 bar one?

De Santis has spent his political career institutionally transferring power and control the office he occupies, and is busy telling us he would do the same and then some as president. We can call this authoritarian.
Kids not being able to play in the park is fucking authoritarian, there ain't no way in downplaying that. Why were beaches closed in California for I think a year or so? Just asinine nonsense. Controlling information is not amassing centralized power and suppression of dissent? What right does a corporation have for local governance? The local district Disney has as a corporation is pretty ridiculous. If Disney just didn't get involved in politics (like a company is supposed to), DeSantis wouldn't have done anything to Disney. Sure, DeSantis was being spiteful but you don't poke at someone that's been giving you favors either. Without hearing the context, I'm assuming destroying leftism is either just culture war bullshit or the actual issues of bad leftism running wild like in California. I don't know much about the FBI so I can't really comment on that since I just don't know. Still b!tching about SCOTUS? What about (ism) admitting the orginal Roe v Wade desicion was a terrible decision from a law standpoint from a loaded liberal SCOTUS? What is this current SCOTUS doing that's so fucking bad? What party doesn't put in stooges in place? Hell, you can say Biden is himself a stooge put in place.

I'm not just saying that to deflect against whatever bad things DeSantis has done just because the other side does it. But what's the argument that DeSantis is actually worse off than the other guy? Focusing on the bad stuff the other team does and ignoring the bad stuff your team does gets us nowhere. I don't vote for either party so I don't have a team because they both suck. However, if I have to vote for say DeSantis or Biden, I think DeStantis is overall better. DeSantis passed a bill targeting Pharmacy Benefit Managers, which is a massive problem in US drug prices. And, it definitely looks like to me Florida citizens have been better off than the citizens of say New York or California have been over the time DeSantis has been governor.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I see the issue and literally pointed it out. I've talked about how liberal run cities actually block more affordable housing at basically every turn yet you guys don't like to hate on your own team when they constantly fuck up... People do have the option to buy condos vs renting apartments so why rent?
If I rent at those type of prices, then I can't save up anything to own in the future.
That's why they get stuck renting. What did you do before you bought? Lived with your parents? Not everyone has that option?

Because they can't save up a deposit! What do you propose people do while they save up a deposit? Live in a box? Like are you capable of a coherent series of thoughts?

Also, you might want to get over to South Korea to stop the massive right-wing fascism apparently going on over there. Koreans eat 2 meals a day and eat real foods and apparently that type of diet is very right-wing so they must be about to fall to fascism any day now. Just random video that popped up in my feed. Funny how that's exactly all I said to do diet-wise and you claimed that's right-wing rhetoric somehow...
What are you talking about?!

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Huh? DeSantis isn't overly authoritarian. Just because he's a republican that gets national coverage doesn't mean he's authoritarian.
You're right, it doesn't, the laws he passes do.

Reactions: Hades