If DeSantis wins

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Now Florida doesn't want students to learn about BLM or "taking a knee", but they should know “how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

C'mon, c'mon! Just say it out loud! "BEING ENSLAVED WAS GOOD FOR BLACK PEOPLE!"

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The only reasonable explanation that you won't show me where in the bill/law it says what you say it says is because it's not in there.
So yes, you believe everybody was and is lying about it, from lawyers to doctors to advocates, based on your gut feeling

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Now Florida doesn't want students to learn about BLM or "taking a knee", but they should know “how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

C'mon, c'mon! Just say it out loud! "BEING ENSLAVED WAS GOOD FOR BLACK PEOPLE!"
If you consider that a little more openly, they could be discussing how enslaved and eventually free people found opportunities even in their bleak circumstances to make lives for themselves. That line could easily be describing people who heroically overcame their oppression from within.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If you consider that a little more openly, they could be discussing how enslaved and eventually free people found opportunities even in their bleak circumstances to make lives for themselves. That line could easily be describing people who heroically overcame their oppression from within.
It didn't make them Not Slaves, so what oppression were they overcoming specifically?

Bit rich coming from the party that demands slaving traitors be their heritage and that everybody else should clap for them instead of choosing, like, abolitionists and freedom fighters from the same area

This is hardly the first time conservatives have tried to claim being enslaved was good for black people. That line goes *all* the way back

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
This is hardly the first time conservatives have tried to claim being enslaved was good for black people. That line goes *all* the way back
As far as it possibly can, in that pro-slavery types were using that line when slavery was still legal.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Are you really trying to be an apologist for slavery? Really? Is there a line you won't cross?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Hardly. That does not follow. If it was about slaves developing the skill to reject internalized oppression then that is not a skill you develop as an enslaved person. That is the first skill a slaveholder makes sure their slave does not gather. Besides, the externalized oppression was strong enough that even talking about oppression from within is missing the mark.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Sure. The argument is not, per se, unreasonable. In a sense it's a truism: some members of the lowest strata of any society have always been able to find opportunities for improvement and advancement. One might argue, however, the far more important thing to dwell on is the systematic and institutional forces that prevented the vast majority from doing so.

In fact, that message of systematic societal disadvantage should still resonate today in terms of poverty, low educational standards, racism, etc.

I wonder why the Republicans would be so keen to push this message of heroic individuals overcoming systematic disadvantage and downplay slavery? :unsure:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Also in nazi germany the trains arrived ON TIME.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also in nazi germany the trains arrived ON TIME.
As an aside, Mussolini unfairly took credit for railway improvements that had started before he rose to power.

He did drain some swamps, though, although the Germans flooded them again in WW2 to give people malaria.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Sure. The argument is not, per se, unreasonable. In a sense it's a truism: some members of the lowest strata of any society have always been able to find opportunities for improvement and advancement. One might argue, however, the far more important thing to dwell on is the systematic and institutional forces that prevented the vast majority from doing so.

In fact, that message of systematic societal disadvantage should still resonate today in terms of poverty, low educational standards, racism, etc.

I wonder why the Republicans would be so keen to push this message of heroic individuals overcoming systematic disadvantage and downplay slavery? :unsure:
Because it's better to encourage children to make the best of their circumstances, and show them role models who did as such.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Because it's better to encourage children to make the best of their circumstances, and show them role models who did as such.
"It"a better to encourage children to accept their shitty lives as best they can. God forbid they try for better. Happy slaves should be their role model"

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
In a discussion of legally instituted ownership of people as property, what is the best thing to do of circumstances if you happen to be one of the persons considered property?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yes, and I would suggest the most important way to do this would be to encourage them to engage with the political process to achieve meaningful societal change, similar to the way their forebears fought for it. I would have thought you might be bigger on this than many as a Catholic given that church's oft-stated commitment to social justice, as far as for instance liberation theology in Latin America.

You are effectively talking about "The American Dream". But to some extent this operates as a cover for the USA having social mobility amongst the worst in the developed world. It is harder to raise oneself out of poverty in the USA than its wealthy international peers, not easier. It is harder because of systemic barriers in society. Making the best of oneself is of course a very worthy message, but it should exist alongside frank discussions of how the nature of wider society can or may impact the ability of individuals to develop.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
"It"a better to encourage children to accept their shitty lives as best they can. God forbid they try for better. Happy slaves should be their role model"
You are illustrating exactly my point. Showing people who made something of their situation is showing people who tried for better. There are people in American history who were slaves, made there way higher into society, and became forces working to end slavery. To not spotlight them is to say "slaves just accepted their lives, there was no reason to try for better."

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
There are people in American history who were slaves, made there way higher into society, and became forces working to end slavery. To not spotlight them is to say "slaves just accepted their lives, there was no reason to try for better."
Could you mention one of them? I am curious now.

I am somewhat doubtful how "becoming forces to end slavery" goes hand in hand with "skills which, in some instances, could be applied for personal benefit". If the focus is on "personal benefit" then ending slavery is only personal in the sense that "it is good for society as a whole, therefore good for me" or possibly "I have been enslaved, it was awful, I therefore personally value ending slavery".

I furthermore emphasize that the basic dehumanization that comes from being considered property is circumstances that is the precise opposite of helpful in developing skills to try for better.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Yes, and I would suggest the most important way to do this would be to encourage them to engage with the political process to achieve meaningful societal change, similar to the way their forebears fought for it. I would have thought you might be bigger on this than many as a Catholic given that church's oft-stated commitment to social justice, as far as for instance liberation theology in Latin America.

You are effectively talking about "The American Dream". But to some extent this operates as a cover for the USA having social mobility amongst the worst in the developed world. It is harder to raise oneself out of poverty in the USA than its wealthy international peers, not easier. It is harder because of systemic barriers in society. Making the best of oneself is of course a very worthy message, but it should exist alongside frank discussions of how the nature of wider society can or may impact the ability of individuals to develop.
Tstorm is a trad cath at best. He's about as far from liberation theology or even the Church's more mainstream social justice teachings as one can get without entirely leaving the faith. From that perspective, he has more in common with American evangelicals and prosperity gospel proponents; it's just wrapped in historical Catholic trappings to try and give it legitimacy.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
You are illustrating exactly my point. Showing people who made something of their situation is showing people who tried for better. There are people in American history who were slaves, made there way higher into society, and became forces working to end slavery. To not spotlight them is to say "slaves just accepted their lives, there was no reason to try for better."
If it wasn't for slavery how could people have escaped slavery is a dimwit take even by your standards.