Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Just as a heads up for all two of you who might be waiting for it, my review of Licence to Kill will not be likely happening for a bit. Broke my arm, so typing out a full review on one hand is a bit daunting.
See ? That's why I won't ever learn to type with two hands. Actually, you can even cut most of my fingers without slowing me down.

Anyway, sorry about the arm for the arm's sake. Given, well, you know, my moderate thrill about the post-moore films.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ouch, sucks. Also, you could have come up with an exciting reason for it, we'd not be able to prove you wrong.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
When you say TMNT, do you mean TMNT (1990), TMNT (2007) or TMNT (2014)? Both of the latter two are 7/10 movies for me, but TMNT '07, had really weak and generic villains I didn't care for. I do prefer 2014 over 2007. TMNT 1990 trumps over both of them.

So you can call it a Chinese connection. I remember when some people (1987 fan boys) were bitching about Splinter and the turtles learning ninjitsu from a book they found in the sewers. Odd how almost none of them are whining now, considering it's technically worse overall in that regard. What, y'all couldn't have thrown in a few clips of Five Elements Ninjas or a some Sho Kosugi ninja films? We all know the only reason they did this, was because Jackie Chan voices Splinter now.

I never had any problems following the action, but everyone's eyes are different. I do appreciate the big change up, and it was needed. They couldn't do the same thing again. Done that already about a million times. TMNT'07 tried a similar change up, but that movie was implied to be a sequel to the first three movies from the 90s, and it felt more like a straight-to-DVD movie released in to theaters. Comedy wise Mutant Mayhem I find much better than Secret of the Ooze. I don't hate SothO, but my love kinda dropped a lot for it as I got older. The Turtles not being able to use their weapons is a huge bummer for me. Back on point MM kept me laughing.

I disagree on most fronts. The movie didn't feel too short at all, and was the right length. I am glad they didn't go overboard on the running time. TMNT 2007, while a similar length, dragged at times. This movie doesn't have this issue. I love the ending for this movie, and the turtles and Splinter deserves something nice. Them coming together with the other mutants (who are major villains in most other continuities) and being a family, makes almost tear up. Bebop and Rocksteady are family with the turtles now! Other citizens of NY helping them is also a nice minor callback to Out of the Shadows with NYPD helping them, or Danny helping them in TMNT 1990.

As for the sequel hook, but many of the people in my theater really want to see where the sequel goes with this big change up. Myself included. If it was one-off, I wouldn't complain either way. Movie is a borderline S rank for me. I will say they did a little to heavy with some of the pop culture references. I did not expect an Attack on Titan reference in a TMNT property. That, and I wish these movies wouldn't end on sequel hooks/stingers so much. The 2010s TMNT verse never got that third movie, because the producer was a whiny dick who overblew it in marketing and didn't get all the money in the universe.

Speak for yourself. Mutant Mayhem and Across of the Spider-Verse are awesome for the same and different reasons. I get you were tired, but ASTV never dragged for me, nor was I depressed. It's only 2 hours and 20 minutes. It at least has the content to justify it; I can't say the same for most of the recent output of MCU movies/TV shows. Don't forget, without Into the Spider-Verse, there wouldn't be a Puss N' Boots: Last Wish, The Michelsons vs. Machines, nor a Mutant Mayhem.

As far as rankings TMNT movies go:

1. TMNT (1990)
  2. Batman vs. TMNT
  3. Mutant Mayhem
  4. Out of the Shadows
  5. TMNT (2014)
  6. TMNT (2007)
  7. Secret of the Ooze
  8. TMNT III
Theres not much to debate there. Its all personal opinion. By TMNT I meant 1990 by default. I quite like 2007, but it was exceptionally short in my opinion.

I sort of put mayhem between Ooze and 1990. Ill just never accept the bay films as a part of the series. Just not for me.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Barbie (2023)

Quasi-ironic and comedic take on the famous children's toy. Barbie lives in Barbieland, which is a sort of paradisical, cartoonish world full of empowered Barbies and lunkhead Kens. Margot Robbie plays Stereotypical Barbie, for whom the pefection starts to slip. She is thus sent to the real world to mediate with the real person whose disenchantment is causing a less-than-ideal feeling about Barbie to slip over into Barbieland. Comedy ensues, as Barbie finds out just how unrealistic she really is. Unfortunately, one of the Kens (Ryan Gosling) piggy-backs on her trip and also undergoes a journey of discovery, and decides to unwelcomely bring quite a lot more of the real world to Barbieland.

Broadly, the movie is pretty good - witty, with lots of neat references to the toy (and its various commercial and artistic mis-steps over the years), funny, and sometimes moving. Obviously, it was likely to - and did - enrage a substantial number of conservatives through commentary on gender politics, but it shouldn't cause a problem for most people. However, I think for me the film fell short of of greatness in the final third where my attention began to drift because I feel it lost fluidity and coherence in the execution. This was a shame after the strong start and middle, but not enough to ruin the movie and I'd happily recommend it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I quite like 2007, but it was exceptionally short in my opinion.
Like I said before, it felt like a straight-to-DVD movie released in theaters at that time, and shows. The quality for straight-to-DVD started changing for the better around this time, but you still had a few hanger-ons of crappy one-shots and mediocre sequels. Ironic, as many straight-to-Digital/DVD movies have far better quality than most theatrical movies nowadays and in the early 2010s.
Ill just never accept the bay films as a part of the series. Just not for me.
Neither do Eastman and Laird. The 2010 movies aren't even close to bad. Bay only acted as producer and barely had any input. He let the teams on both movies do whatever they wanted for the most part. I will say Out of the Shadows screwed up Casey Jones, but otherwise, it's a good 8/10 film. This movie has the best versions of Bebop and Rocksteady you'll ever see. They stole the show.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Okay I've re-watched parts of You Only Live Twice and I am now open to the suggestion of the hypothesis of the possibility that I may have been overselling it a bit.

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Just as a heads up for all two of you who might be waiting for it, my review of Licence to Kill will not be likely happening for a bit. Broke my arm, so typing out a full review on one hand is a bit daunting.
Ouch, I broke one small bone in my hand and couldn't use it for six weeks and that sucked. The arm itself? My sympathies and I wish you as speedy a recovery as you can get.

Reactions: BrawlMan

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Okay I've re-watched parts of You Only Live Twice and I am now open to the suggestion of the hypothesis of the possibility that I may have been overselling it a bit.
Maybe you'll like it better if we make you a Japanese.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Saw Oppenheimer with my father yesterday. I thought it was good but I also think they could have cut maybe 40 minutes of it and made the first act less confusing.

Also...

View attachment 9447
Pretty much why I avoid Nolan's films and have no interests in a majority of them. Is that post related to the movie?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well, other than saving everyone aboard his torture ship. Defeating the guy isn't even presented as the most important thing, it's getting all the test subjects out that's treated as the real victory.
I still cant understand how he got anyone to torture, he's that incompetent. Who looks at War Pig and thinks they be anything close to perfection

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Pretty much why I avoid Nolan's films and have no interests in a majority of them. Is that post related to the movie?
One of my favorite directors. The Dark Knight is just about my all time favorite movie. It is one of those movies that if I'm flipping through channels and see a good scene of it playing on TV, I'll stop to watch it and find myself watching the rest of the dang thing.
Not in order others I think special and worth watching:
Following: short black and white movie, among his first, that shows his time jumping styling.
Memento: My sister figures out everything except this one. Guess she didn't pay close enough attention. Guy cannot form new memories and tattoos himself with things he needs to know.
The Prestige: battle between 2 stage magicians trying to out do each other and settle scores.
Almost every feature he directed, even if a failure, tends to be more interesting than other directors' successes. I'm sorry to write that Tenet was one of those failures for me. Everything else worth a watch, even if not on my favorites list.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
They Cloned Tyrone

While I did see some trailers for this I can't help, but feel like it's flown under the radar a bit and that's a goddamn travesty if true. This had been in my backlog for a while, unfortunately because of the stigma attached to Netflix. You just never know when they bought a flop or actually invested in a big production. I almost feel like they have an obligation to themselves to be honest about it if they want their pet projects to succeed.

The reason I bring up the timing is that I sat down with no intention of finishing this, but was so engrossed I ended up staying up well passed midnight, needing to see it through.

The movie is essentially transparent on the narrative. A drug dealer in a poverty ravaged neighborhood wakes up one day to discovered he's been cloned. His desperation to find out what's happening unravels a vast conspiracy that is, I'm assuming, loosely based on the real, well known government experimentations on lower class communities.

The movie is a near perfectly balanced comedy, scifi, drama. The context and emotional beats feel like an almost direct sequel to "Get Out", more spiritually consistent than the more Outer Limits leaning "Us". I honestly looked up to see if Jordan was involved as it feels so much like a follow up. That said it leans slightly more into comedic effect. Theres a hilarious comradery between Jamie Foxx, John Boyega, and Teyonah Parris as this "Scobby-doo squad" trying to take on this big government conspiracy. However, there's no acrid taste of Tyler Perry here. It's played straight and these are wonderfully three dimensional characters. The comedy is largely derived from their responses to the ridiculous situations they find themselves in.

John Boyega really shines here and Jamie Foxx once again proves you do yourself a disservice in missing anything he shows up in (ok, maybe skip ASM2).

Though not to discredit the film, the conspiracy sadly is one we've seen before, both in film and reality. What boost this film above that derision is that you really care about the folk in this town. They aren't cartoon characters. Theres a scene with John Boyega's Fontaine and his mom, exhibiting how easily we get disconnected from our elders that is throughly heartbreaking.

Anyhoo, 9/10 Almost worth a rewatch just for how funny Jamie Foxx is.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One of my favorite directors. The Dark Knight is just about my all time favorite movie. It is one of those movies that if I'm flipping through channels and see a good scene of it playing on TV, I'll stop to watch it and find myself watching the rest of the dang thing.
Not in order others I think special and worth watching:
Following: short black and white movie, among his first, that shows his time jumping styling.
Memento: My sister figures out everything except this one. Guess she didn't pay close enough attention. Guy cannot form new memories and tattoos himself with things he needs to know.
The Prestige: battle between 2 stage magicians trying to out do each other and settle scores.
Almost every feature he directed, even if a failure, tends to be more interesting than other directors' successes. I'm sorry to write that Tenet was one of those failures for me. Everything else worth a watch, even if not on my favorites list.
As I mentioned before the Dark Knight trilogy is the only exception.. that said, I think Batman Begins this overrated and goes on for too long. Yeah she has an age well with the hand-to-hand fight scenes, and even Nolan acknowledged this. Tenet I tried to like, but it burned me hard off Nolan.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Unless I've forgotten... That famous line was only used once in the movie and it was during a sex scene where the woman asked Oppenheimer to read from a book while riding him.

A lot of the scenes with that woman, the sex scenes in particular, felt rather out of place and pointless to the rest of the movie. I'd rather they have cut most or all of her sub plot and added more scenes with the actual scientists that worked on the Manhattan Project. The first act does a bad job of signaling to the audience what kind of movie it is with frequent jumps in time and place interspersed with loud, very loud, special effects scenes. The movie did NOT need to be 3 hours long.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That famous line was only used once in the movie and it was during a sex scene where the woman asked Oppenheimer to read from a book while riding him.

A lot of the scenes with that woman, the sex scenes in particular, felt rather out of place and pointless to the rest of the movie. I'd rather they have cut most or all of her sub plot and added more scenes with the actual scientists that worked on the Manhattan Project.
Don't know why he bothered with scenes like that in the movie about a nuclear bomb.
The movie did NOT need to be 3 hours long.
Pretty much why I avoid a majority of his work. They either go on for too long, or go overboard in explaining things like in in Inception.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Unless I've forgotten... That famous line was only used once in the movie and it was during a sex scene where the woman asked Oppenheimer to read from a book while riding him.

A lot of the scenes with that woman, the sex scenes in particular, felt rather out of place and pointless to the rest of the movie. I'd rather they have cut most or all of her sub plot and added more scenes with the actual scientists that worked on the Manhattan Project. The first act does a bad job of signaling to the audience what kind of movie it is with frequent jumps in time and place interspersed with loud, very loud, special effects scenes. The movie did NOT need to be 3 hours long.
Didn't realize that was the new Black Widow. I think it is the 1st nudity in a Nolan directed movie.
Included just to get some notoriety and the money that follows??
I think it showed that in reality, Oppenheimer was much closer to Communists than US powers should feel comfortable with. Further that he is cold enough to drive a lover to suicide. In reality? Did someone take her out and just make it look like suicide? And the final act seems to follow the narrative that the establishment's discomfort with Oppenheimer's politics was totally unjustified. I don't think it was that simple, though, I'm sure there were many powerful people that wanted him to shut up. But I thought it mostly loud, uncomfortable and unnecessary. I did, however, love the very, very ending with Einstein.