Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The coin sits within the knot so you're not really aware of it, though skinnying is generally less common in the workplace than it was at school.
Well, I'm not wearing ties because of skinnying. It feels like a lynch around my neck. I currently have a lanyard keycard to access work that's on a strap around my neck for work and I take it off all the time for the same reasons... and then promptly lose it

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I asking for basic proof of something you say works actually fucking works. I don't give 2 shits about the economics.
You should give a shit about economics, because you are arguing economics. It's just even worse that you mistakenly think it's science.

OMFG, not every cost-benefit analysis is economics. For example, basically all medical interventions are basically cost-benefit analyses over whether any one of them actually fucking works.
I love the weasel word you slip in there, that medical interventions are "basically" cost-benefit analyses, to try to conceal the fact that they are fundamentally different from cost-benefit analyses.

Again, it's not on me to prove lockdowns don't work, it's on you to prove your claim that they work.
A remarkable statement from the man who supported dosing everyone up with HCQ, then ivermectin, without thinking those required proof.

IIRC, all of Australia at least for the first year or so did really well in keeping covid cases and deaths low. Even with that great result of keeping covid at bay, Sweden did better than Australia in overall deaths.
Wow. There's so much wrong here.

1) Sweden has ~25,000 covid deaths to date and Australia ~22,000, so you're just wrong that Sweden has done better than Australia. And this is just absolute numbers.
2) Australia has over twice the population of Sweden, which means that per capita Australia has a death rate well under half Sweden's, which means Aus did a lot better.
3) To mid-2021 and vaccination, Sweden had ~14,000 covid deaths and Australia <1000. Per capita, therefore, Australia had a covid death rate around one thirtieth of Sweden's, which is kind of awesome for Australia. Australia's covid death rate has since expanded because, like the rest of the world, it moved to vaccines rather than preventing infection and that's naturally going to result in deaths racking up over time.

The fact you get such simple things wrong so often is indicative.

Here's Sweden in 2020; people are living like normal, no masks, no lockdowns, no distancing, commuting like normal to work everyday. Sure, they had more community covid spread without a doubt, but in the end, that didn't result in more death.
Congratulations on repeating, yet again, context-free vapidity.

Not more death than where? What factors are you controlling for to make a comparison valid? One might argue Sweden is generally most comparable to the other Scandinavian countries and Finland, and it did worst of them in terms of covid death rate by a substantial margin.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Ah, the old cities have more gun violence than rural areas trick....

Until you get a different table where you look at counties with the most gun violence as a proportion of the population. And then 2 cities appear in the top ten on the table, with most being rural counties
I hate to be a realist, but I will be a realist. In a city, if someone shoots at me, tries to stab me, etc, I can't counter unless I have a weapon which many of these cities don't allow, that means the death rate from suicides, domestic abuse, and homicides goes down, there is no individualistic way to protect yourself against a group of people, or even just someone who attacks from behind. I have more options if someone tries to do that to me in a car, I have more options to counter it.

The reason I say I love Tokyo in previous posts is because their crime rates are low so the odds of you getting ambushed are lower; much lower, I didn't say San Franciso for a reason, and now you know why.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I hate to be a realist, but I will be a realist. In a city, if someone shoots at me, tries to stab me, etc, I can't counter unless I have a weapon which many of these cities don't allow, that means the death rate from suicides, domestic abuse, and homicides goes down, there is no individualistic way to protect yourself against a group of people, or even just someone who attacks from behind. I have more options if someone tries to do that to me in a car, I have more options to counter it.

The reason I say I love Tokyo in previous posts is because their crime rates are low so the odds of you getting ambushed are lower; much lower, I didn't say San Franciso for a reason, and now you know why.
Why are linking this to cities?

It is way easier to get away with crimes in rural areas. You can kill people and no one finds the body for days. There are no neighbours that can help, or at least witness, the crimes

The RATES of crime are much higher in rural areas

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Why are linking this to cities?

It is way easier to get away with crimes in rural areas. You can kill people and no one finds the body for days. There are no neighbours that can help, or at least witness, the crimes

The RATES of crime are much higher in rural areas
More people more problems. And less ways to defend yourself via weapons or car less options in a bad situation.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
China bans a lot of sites

No body in China cares and just finds ways to get around the bans

Banning Tik Tok will do nothing
It could hamper it as a financial way for annoying gen z twats to gain income selling lead paint items from Temu. The Gen Z on Tik Tok are all sociopath clout chasers anyways. YouTube minus the comments section is a better social media site.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
It could hamper it as a financial way for annoying gen z twats to gain income selling lead paint items from Temu. The Gen Z on Tik Tok are all sociopath clout chasers anyways. YouTube minus the comments section is a better social media site.
You literally linked some gen z tik tok person to make an argument for you a page or two back...

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You should give a shit about economics, because you are arguing economics. It's just even worse that you mistakenly think it's science.

I love the weasel word you slip in there, that medical interventions are "basically" cost-benefit analyses, to try to conceal the fact that they are fundamentally different from cost-benefit analyses.

A remarkable statement from the man who supported dosing everyone up with HCQ, then ivermectin, without thinking those required proof.

Wow. There's so much wrong here.

1) Sweden has ~25,000 covid deaths to date and Australia ~22,000, so you're just wrong that Sweden has done better than Australia. And this is just absolute numbers.
2) Australia has over twice the population of Sweden, which means that per capita Australia has a death rate well under half Sweden's, which means Aus did a lot better.
3) To mid-2021 and vaccination, Sweden had ~14,000 covid deaths and Australia <1000. Per capita, therefore, Australia had a covid death rate around one thirtieth of Sweden's, which is kind of awesome for Australia. Australia's covid death rate has since expanded because, like the rest of the world, it moved to vaccines rather than preventing infection and that's naturally going to result in deaths racking up over time.

The fact you get such simple things wrong so often is indicative.

Congratulations on repeating, yet again, context-free vapidity.

Not more death than where? What factors are you controlling for to make a comparison valid? One might argue Sweden is generally most comparable to the other Scandinavian countries and Finland, and it did worst of them in terms of covid death rate by a substantial margin.
Issue #1 is if lockdowns actually provide overall benefit. Then you can get to other discussions like money and whatnot. We haven't gotten past Issue #1 yet. When are you (or anyone) ever gonna put forward PROOF lockdowns have had overall benefit? If you say something works, you have to prove it, I've been waiting like 2-3 years for this proof but nobody has provided any proof that this intervention has provided any overall benefit.

Do drugs trials not see if 1) the drug works and 2) what the side effects are and then determine whether the benefits (assuming it at least somewhat works) outweigh the costs (side effects) to see whether the drug has overall benefits? How is that not a cost-benefit analysis?

HCQ and IVM have very little harms, even masking probably has more harms than taking either one of those drugs for a say a week. If fact, worldwide, IVM provided overall benefit because so many people worldwide had preexisting issues that IVM helped with.

Wow, you keep missing my point over and over again. Sweden had less OVERALL deaths (not just covid). Covid isn't on the only public health issue, how many times do I have to keep repeating myself? You can't even read simple things...

OMFG.... OVERALL DEATHS, Sweden beat like everyone.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Do drugs trials not see if 1) the drug works and 2) what the side effects are and then determine whether the benefits (assuming it at least somewhat works) outweigh the costs (side effects) to see whether the drug has overall benefits? How is that not a cost-benefit analysis?
Sure. And while you're at it, call my decision whether to buy a packet of sweets is a cost-benefit analysis, whether the 80p I spend is worth the enjoyment of the sweets. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Sure. And while you're at it, call my decision whether to buy a packet of sweets is a cost-benefit analysis, whether the 80p I spend is worth the enjoyment of the sweets. :rolleyes:
Well, that would just be silly....

...because we don't have all the pertinent information. What are we talking about here? Liquorice allsorts? Haribo?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, I'm not wearing ties because of skinnying. It feels like a lynch around my neck. I currently have a lanyard keycard to access work that's on a strap around my neck for work and I take it off all the time for the same reasons... and then promptly lose it
Grab a collared work shirt with a pen slot on the pocket. Those are perfect to put your lanyard zinger on.