Safety experts quit OpenAI

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Whether it's rising, or whether you think it's an issue or not, is irrelevant to the point I was making.

When polled, British people tend to have a perception that about 25-33% of the population are immigrants. Even the lower end of that is twice as much as in reality. And they also tend to believe that refugees and asylum seekers are the largest groups, when in fact they're the smallest.

Are these the result of an article explicitly claiming those numbers, and people falling for it? No. Nobody explicitly claimed 25-33%. This is not a lie that was believed. But people have been presented with so much overwhelmingly negative press, stereotypes and misinfo for years that their passive perceptions are completely out of whack with reality.
You can say like the same thing about people's estimates of anything and this is without AI. Maybe even more of a stream of information may tilt the numbers more but not much, overestimating too much just doesn't make sense. You think with AI pummeling the British with more immigration stories is going to result in people thinking over half the population is immigrants? That likely makes no sense.

Although, 41% of democrats thought an unvaccinated person had a 50% or higher chance of being hospitalized if they got covid, that's pretty ridiculous. And, again, this is without AI so what's so dangerous about AI?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
They were AI that many people including Gen X, boomers, and everyone else used.
They're not AI, even by the broader definition. They're essentially search engines with an executive file attached to them. They have no truly adaptive, learning element to them.

You can say like the same thing about people's estimates of anything and this is without AI. Maybe even more of a stream of information may tilt the numbers more but not much, overestimating too much just doesn't make sense.
What people think already doesn't 'make sense'. That's not a barrier. Yes, volume (as well as sophisticated targeting and quick responsiveness to trends) matters.

So let's say the misinfo on immigration hits an upper limit on how far peoples' credulity will go. Human-made misinformation took thousands of work hours, tens of years, to create this false impression. AI can churn out the same volume in days... on a hundred different topics. So people cease to believe immigration lies once they go over a certain scope? Then misinfo targets other questions altogether: 50 at once, and creates more than enough volume in a tiny fraction of the time.

Humans have simply been unable to create, curate, and target the volume of misinformation, on the same timetrame. That's unarguable.

Reactions: Agema

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
They're not AI, even by the broader definition. They're essentially search engines with an executive file attached to them. They have no truly adaptive, learning element to them.

What people think already doesn't 'make sense'. That's not a barrier. Yes, volume (as well as sophisticated targeting and quick responsiveness to trends) matters.

So let's say the misinfo on immigration hits an upper limit on how far peoples' credulity will go. Human-made misinformation took thousands of work hours, tens of years, to create this false impression. AI can churn out the same volume in days... on a hundred different topics. So people cease to believe immigration lies once they go over a certain scope? Then misinfo targets other questions altogether: 50 at once, and creates more than enough volume in a tiny fraction of the time.

Humans have simply been unable to create, curate, and target the volume of misinformation, on the same timetrame. That's unarguable.
Since I'm not in Britain, I'd be assuming the reason for the higher percentage is because the sheer amount of news stories about migration. And also humans are kinda bad with percentages, there's a jackbox game about that in fact. I doubt the percentage would go much higher with AI pushing out even more stories.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
We don't even need it, I litrally can't even use it to craft a recipe on napalm, create a pipe bomb, and research malware. Let the programmers figure it out. They have been doing a good job.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Since I'm not in Britain, I'd be assuming the reason for the higher percentage is because the sheer amount of news stories about migration. And also humans are kinda bad with percentages, there's a jackbox game about that in fact. I doubt the percentage would go much higher with AI pushing out even more stories.
I encourage you to reread the post.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I encourage you to reread the post.
Reread what specifically? You can only flood people with so much info, the person is in essence the bottleneck (like a real hard drive with a slow spin rate and very fragmented). People need to see enough stories about something and also see the actual effects of it. You tell me there's a bear problem in my city and I'm not gonna believe it until I see a bear or someone I know has seen a bear or knows someone that's seen a bear. We have that process basically as sped up as possible already. People don't need all these man hours to spread this information, you have have one story, then other news publications basically copy/paste it and then you have have news anchors on TV/Youtube or influencers on TikTok or whatever, and bots spreading essentially that one main story.

For people to believe there's an immigration problem, it's not gonna happen in one day or a few hours because of AI, it'll still take the normal cycle for it to become a thing.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Reread what specifically?
The words.

You can only flood people with so much info, the person is in essence the bottleneck (like a real hard drive with a slow spin rate and very fragmented). People need to see enough stories about something and also see the actual effects of it.
Bollocks. Constant, low-substance content can be consumed or absorbed nearly endlessly-- and if there's an upper limit, we're not there, even in today's bombardment. And people absolutely do not need to see the actual effects of something to have strong opinions on it-- hence why endless stories of fabricated nonsense like EU banana-straightening helped to swing a nationwide referendum. There's a reason that the people who tend to have the biggest problems with immigration tend to live in low-immigration areas.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Soon Microsoft will be able to make things like automation easier for the average casual user. Your most casual users as of right now use automated web bots, medium users use UI-Path or maybe GPT-4 generated Python scripts, and advanced users use a variety of languages, libraries, ERP systems, and maybe AI. Soon everyone will be able to do what advanced users do today. Instead of me getting my computer to make my Mod-Organizer-2 folders modding Skyrim SE to be a Windows Defender exclusion via going to my security UI and clicking lots of buttons, I will just type a prompt, and Microsoft-copilot will do it. It will auto-locate the folder location, and make it an exclusion by itself.
Yes. We are finally getting Clipyy 2.0. :)

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The words.

Bollocks. Constant, low-substance content can be consumed or absorbed nearly endlessly-- and if there's an upper limit, we're not there, even in today's bombardment. And people absolutely do not need to see the actual effects of something to have strong opinions on it-- hence why endless stories of fabricated nonsense like EU banana-straightening helped to swing a nationwide referendum. There's a reason that the people who tend to have the biggest problems with immigration tend to live in low-immigration areas.
Everything can be done with bots, you don't need AI. We already have like one or two sources that actually get the story and the rest regurgitate it. I don't know how you're getting thousands of hours of work out of this.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Everything can be done with bots, you don't need AI. We already have like one or two sources that actually get the story and the rest regurgitate it.
Can be done with bots or humans, with a lot more time and human. That's the point. Scale and speed is the point. And it's not comparable.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Can be done with bots or humans, with a lot more time and human. That's the point. Scale and speed is the point. And it's not comparable.
I'm not going to be consuming any more news content than I already am (I'm guessing the same is the case for most people). How is AI going to force me to consume all the more stories it can make?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not going to be consuming any more news content than I already am (I'm guessing the same is the case for most people). How is AI going to force me to consume all the more stories it can make?
When someone just endlessly scrolls through Reddit or Twitter or Instagram or whatever, how much content do you think they're properly consuming? And how much do you think they're passively aware of?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
When someone just endlessly scrolls through Reddit or Twitter or Instagram or whatever, how much content do you think they're properly consuming? And how much do you think they're passively aware of?
I don't doom scroll on any of those sites/apps. Also, just because people scroll Reddit or whatever doesn't mean they are scrolling news content.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I don't doom scroll on any of those sites/apps. Also, just because people scroll Reddit or whatever doesn't mean they are scrolling news content.
I don't care what you're doing. Hundreds of millions of people do, including news content. How much do you think they're presented with, or passively take notice of, even if they don't actively open and read an article?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I don't care what you're doing. Hundreds of millions of people do, including news content. How much do you think they're presented with, or passively take notice of, even if they don't actively open and read an article?
Then they are idiots. When I am bored I go on Tik Tok, when I am serious I go to more established news sources. Your BBCs, New York Times, and etc.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm sure people have a time where they check out news regardless of source (could be MSN, Reddit, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube, etc), then they have times to check general interests / hobby stuff / memes / etc. Why would you need to flood the internet with more news content? There's already plenty of it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Then they are idiots. When I am bored I go on Tik Tok, when I am serious I go to more established news sources. Your BBCs, New York Times, and etc.
OK. You may think you're immune to misinformation, but you're not. And even of it doesn't have much effect on you... the elections in your country will be decided, in part, by people who have been effected.

Reactions: tstorm823

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure people have a time where they check out news regardless of source (could be MSN, Reddit, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube, etc), then they have times to check general interests / hobby stuff / memes / etc. Why would you need to flood the internet with more news content? There's already plenty of it.
Frankly, I think you just have an extremely simplistic view of how media is widely consumed.

Reactions: CaitSeith