Battlestations!

Redlin5

Redlin Guard
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
The North
Country
Canadia
So at the start of the year I was still playing games on a Windows 7 PC I built a year out of high school with my friends. Intel i3-2100, 8GB of RAM, Radeon R7 200, and a heavy case that was garbage but free donated from a friend. Windows 7 losing security updates from Microsoft finally convinced me to stop compromising.

rsz_pc-1a.jpg
I didn't splurge on RGB

Its fun jumping ahead with 4 more cores, twice the RAM, and a far better graphics card. Ryzen 5 3600x, 2070 Super MSI Ventus, new case on a B450 Max. Just in time for staying at home... <.<'

So, as we all do our part to be part of the solution and not the problem, what are you guys playing on? When did you rig it? What would you do differently?

If I had been given the option with my wallet and the timing of the pandemic, I would have built a little later and punched in for the new line of Nvidia cards coming out but it became apparent that it was smarter to build sooner than later back in January. That and my monitor is seriously obsolete so the screen is the next upgrade.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I’m still on an aging but reliable i7 4790K, with 16GB of RAM and a GTX1070 my brother no longer needed. I’m still using a case from like......I want to say 10 years ago. Most recent upgrades were going all solid state: 500GB for system, 500GB to do random stuff like video encoding and the like on and a 2TB for games, a 34inch 1440p gaming monitor and a mechanical gaming keyboard.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I invested in a new battlestation yesterday. Since I'm lazy and ignorant I ordered pre-built.
- CPU: i7-9700F
- GPU: RTX 2070
- Storage: 1 TB NVMe M.2 SSD (Still need to add an HD, probably 2 TB)
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (Will likely add another 16 GB soon)

I have been waiting to get a proper desktop again for a long-time, so I'm looking forward to this a great deal. There's a pretty large number of games that have been de facto off-limits I'm looking forward to playing.

Reactions: gorfias

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I invested in a new battlestation yesterday. Since I'm lazy and ignorant I ordered pre-built.
- CPU: i7-9700F
- GPU: RTX 2070
- Storage: 1 TB NVMe M.2 SSD (Still need to add an HD, probably 2 TB)
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (Will likely add another 16 GB soon)
And you claim to not be sitting on a mountain of gold, you gnome.

OT:

CPU: i5-8600K
GPU: GTX 1060 (6 GB)
Storage: 478 GB NVME M.2 SSD (OS drive), 448 GB SSD (games drive), 1 TB HDD (general storage drive)
RAM: 16 GB, probably DDR4 something or over
Extra: Soundblaster Z Soundcard

My motherboard went out last year, so I upgraded the CPU and RAM along with it, and added the NVME drive. I have some buyer's remorse on the GTX 1060. I bought it when my old graphics card couldn't run DOOM 2016, right when the game was new. Turned out, DOOM 2016 marked a point where I'd only play a single new AAA game a year, maybe two. The ability to run any game I buy and not worry about messing with the graphics sliders for performance is nice, but I probably would have been better off saving a hundred dollars buying a 900 series card, or a 1050, given how rarely it is that I play anything that pushes the card.

The case has some blue lighting on the inside. I like blue. Lighting doesn't particularly matter otherwise. Case is still from when I built this PC back in 2014, although I think I've replaced everything except for the SSD, HDD, and PSU within it since then.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Your new computer is a ghost?! I didn't realize how far technology has come in recent years.

Man, I'm still using a crappy corporeal laptop from 2012.

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Storage: 476GB SSD (OS), 4TB HDD (games and media)
RAM: 16 GB

Interesting tidbit: I originally acquired this computer pre-built in 2013, and since then, every single component has been replaced aside from the case. The 4TB HDD is the last modification so far and it's a welcome one, I was starting to run out of space for my harsh noise collection.

The case has some blue lighting on the inside. I like blue. Lighting doesn't particularly matter otherwise.
My rig has two fans with blue lighting. Having a few lights is good as visual confirmation that your PC is indeed functioning, but anything more and you're being needlessly gaudy.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Interesting tidbit: I originally acquired this computer pre-built in 2013, and since then, every single component has been replaced aside from the case. The 4TB HDD is the last modification so far and it's a welcome one, I was starting to run out of space for my harsh noise collection.
This is what happens when you use FLAC files for your noise, rather than 96 Kbps .mp3 files like a true patrician.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
CPU: I7 6700K oc'd to 4,5Ghz
GPU: GTX980Ti, iirc also oc'd by ~10%
RAM: 16GB DDR4-2666
Storage: 500GB SSD + 10TB HDD

Built in februari 2016. In retrospect, I maybe could have waited a few months and get a GTX1080 instead, but it's fine. Depending on what the new console gen and the value propositions on the upcoming new CPUs/GPUs, I might do an upgrade some time next year.

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
This is what happens when you use FLAC files for your noise, rather than 96 Kbps .mp3 files like a true patrician.
You absolute fool, do you realize how much dynamics you lose? The sharp industrial screeching loses all its depth and texture that way!

Reactions: Fat Hippo

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I’m still on an aging but reliable i7 4790K, with 16GB of RAM and a GTX1070 my brother no longer needed. I’m still using a case from like......I want to say 10 years ago. Most recent upgrades were going all solid state: 500GB for system, 500GB to do random stuff like video encoding and the like on and a 2TB for games, a 34inch 1440p gaming monitor and a mechanical gaming keyboard.
My oldest system I built in 2009 and has an OG I7-930. I upgraded a bit with a 256 Gig SSD for boot up, more RAM and an RX 550 for $80 so I can play most new games at 720P at a reliable 30 FPS. A 4th gen I7 is nothing to sneeze at.

My main PC rig is going on 3 years old. Ryzen 1700 16 Gig DDR 4, RX 480 8Gig DDR5, 256 SSD 4TB storage, external backup of 4 TB. Samsung Odyssey + VR. I could use a new monitor. I have 2 Vizio TVs: 1 32", the other 39" 1080p. 60 hz refresh. I'm told it is all about the refresh so, I may get something else soon. Dunno if my RX 480 is up to doing much more than what I currently have.

Attachments

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Mine's got some kind of i5-4950 in it, a GTX 980, 8GB of ram, and some kind of Asus motherboard. It do alright, but it's clearly starting to reach the point where newer games make it chug.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Mine's got some kind of i5-4950 in it, a GTX 980, 8GB of ram, and some kind of Asus motherboard. It do alright, but it's clearly starting to reach the point where newer games make it chug.
I would think it can do high settings 1080p 60 hz on just about any game out there. Once you start doing 4K and 144 hz type stuff I could see it chugging. Supposedly you want to marry your CPU to your GPU (spend about equal on them). I have a $200ish Ryzen 1700 and $200ish RX 480. You have a $200ish 4th Gen I5 and a card that likely cost about 3 times that! GTX 980 likely out performs most cards today. https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Your RAM, is it DDR3? The socket is 1150. Even if you want to spend $200 to upgrade to current I5-9 to double CPU speed, that is on socket 1151, DDR4. To R&R CPU, Mother Board and RAM? $300ish. Example https://www.microcenter.com/product...-b365-ultra-durable,-cpu---motherboard-bundle and https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820225074 (wonder if it will work: 1 slot only? Older boards you need at least 2 filled. So, you would double your CPU speed and have 32 Gig of RAM with 2 for about $300. Living vicariously shopping for you! I try to make my desktop PCs last 6 years. Mine is 2.5 years old. 3 years to go before I really start shopping again :-(

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I would think it can do high settings 1080p 60 hz on just about any game out there. Once you start doing 4K and 144 hz type stuff I could see it chugging. Supposedly you want to marry your CPU to your GPU (spend about equal on them). I have a $200ish Ryzen 1700 and $200ish RX 480. You have a $200ish 4th Gen I5 and a card that likely cost about 3 times that! GTX 980 likely out performs most cards today. https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Your RAM, is it DDR3? The socket is 1150. Even if you want to spend $200 to upgrade to current I5-9 to double CPU speed, that is on socket 1151, DDR4. To R&R CPU, Mother Board and RAM? $300ish. Example https://www.microcenter.com/product...-b365-ultra-durable,-cpu---motherboard-bundle and https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820225074 (wonder if it will work: 1 slot only? Older boards you need at least 2 filled. So, you would double your CPU speed and have 32 Gig of RAM with 2 for about $300. Living vicariously shopping for you! I try to make my desktop PCs last 6 years. Mine is 2.5 years old. 3 years to go before I really start shopping again :-(
Ah, so it's just my processor then. Explains why the games that give me the most problems are processor heavy games, Total War: Three Kingdoms and Stellaris. Might need to bump that up a bit. Any suggestions? I'll admit, I'm pretty dumb on how computer tech all goes together. This was one was pretty much bought and built for me.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Ah, so it's just my processor then. Explains why the games that give me the most problems are processor heavy games, Total War: Three Kingdoms and Stellaris. Might need to bump that up a bit. Any suggestions? I'll admit, I'm pretty dumb on how computer tech all goes together. This was one was pretty much bought and built for me.
EDIT: Note too that if your power supply is under rated (is it at least 500 watts?) that can cause trouble/slow down too.

Oooh a challenge! The 1150 socket was replaced by the 1151 in 8/2015 so I'm guessing your rig is approaching that 6 year mark!

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_1150_LGA1150_H3.html

Some off the top of my head options:
1) That graphics card if working fine is so good and fast I would look, at least for now, to re purpose it. You can then R&R it at your convenience.
a. You could buy a pre built from Bestbuy etc. with no graphics card but that is dangerous. Even with good specs, they will use the cheapest items imaginable. Some will have proprietary builds that you cannot even use your card.
b. You could go to Newegg or Microcenter to buy the quality parts you want. If you do not want to build yourself, there are plenty of places that will put your parts together for you for a reasonable fee. Or, do what I enjoy doing: watch how it is done on youtube. Fun hobby if a little scary. (Doing it myself risks blowing up $1K of equipment, after which my wife would flay me alive and roll me in salt.)
c. Buy the best chip 2nd hand on ebay or other to R&R your I5-4. That would be an I7 4xx which would only take you from a benchmark of around 5.5k to 6.5k. Risk is getting a bad chip, PIA, not really worth doing. For some reason, if you can find one? Collector's item? $800!?!?!
d. You could re purpose everything but the mother board, RAM and CPU as I describe above and double or more your CPU speed. Example:
The danger in this build: if your build is on its way to year 6, that means your power supply is going on that age. It is important to have a good one and replace it when you can. I've seen them blow and they can blow up your entire build. (Last one to blow I messed with did not kill the hard drive so we were lucky: able to just put it in another build: that was for a server in a law office with no reliable timely backup!!!)

BTW: If you R&R the board, the RAM and the CPU, you can go with AMD rather than intel. More power, less money. This chip cost less than the I5 and is almost twice as fast (4 times faster than your current) at $175 https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-3600/p/N82E16819113569?&quicklink=true

Always look to see if you can bundle with a mother board for savings.

I have an older build in my house. Maybe R&R the power supply on that one. Maybe. Maybe not. If it blows, I can cry to my wife that I need a new PC NOW!

Good luck and feel free to ask me any follow up questions.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
9th Gen i5 9400
MSI B365 PRO-VH Motherboard
Cooler Master N300 ATX
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
Samsung 970EVO Plus 250GB
CM MWE Bronze 550Watt PSU
MS Win10 Pro
WD Red 10TB (x2)
MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GB

This is a planned build for a Plex server. It will run headless and serving no more than 2 television sets and maybe some mobile devices. So, my smarter brethren: is it enough grunt?