Marvel Comics gets the Rights To Aliens and Predator

faeyr

Escapist +
Apr 10, 2020
Ottawa
Country
Canada
I thought this was an interesting story that's been weirdly under-reported so far (I didn't see it covered by the Escapist, but will link to their coverage if that changes). I can't remember a time when Dark Horse wasn't publishing this stuff, and I was really excited as a kid for AVP and Batman vs. Predator in particular. Still have my issue of Dark Horse Presents that had the first AVP story.
Per IGN:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

To elaborate, the reason I'm quoting Woody is because it used to belong to Dark Horse, and I've got a number of A(v)P comics from them already on their digital site. So best case scenario is that this will fragment my collection. Worst case is that it'll become harder to get some comics. When Dark Horse lost the Firefly IP, they bundled all the DH comics together rather than selling them separately.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

To elaborate, the reason I'm quoting Woody is because it used to belong to Dark Horse, and I've got a number of A(v)P comics from them already on their digital site. So best case scenario is that this will fragment my collection. Worst case is that it'll become harder to get some comics. When Dark Horse lost the Firefly IP, they bundled all the DH comics together rather than selling them separately.
I understand. It's just they've been sitting on the IP not doing much with it. The last Dark Comics I read recently was Avatar - The Last Airbender: Imbalance.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I understand. It's just they've been sitting on the IP not doing much with it. The last Dark Comics I read recently was Avatar - The Last Airbender: Imbalance.
"Not doing much"...in what sense? Because there's been no shortage of comics from Dark Horse set in the universe.

If by not doing much you mean that they haven't done 'major' stories that shake up the status quo, then sure, I guess, but AvP is more setting-driven rather than plot-driven, and outside the movies (heck, even inside the movies - good luck wedding AvP and Prometheus together), the canon is a mess. So Dark Horse doing contained stories works. Repetitive as hell, but 'works.'

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If by not doing much you mean that they haven't done 'major' stories that shake up the status quo, then sure, I guess, but AvP is more setting-driven rather than plot-driven, and outside the movies
This. You can only do it so many times before it gets repetive and boring. They can still break the status quo and be self contained. It's not that hard to do both.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
This. You can only do it so many times before it gets repetive and boring. They can still break the status quo and be self contained. It's not that hard to do both.
I dunno.

Dark Horse broke the status quo years ago when it wrote its own sequel to Aliens, with Ripley, Hicks, and Newt going on to fight more xenomorphs. Then Alien 3 happened, so the comics were rewritten to include "Billie," "Wicks," and an android Ripley. So there's technically nothing stopping them from doing such stories (the above story had Earth being infested IIRC), but there's no real sync between them and the movies. Did you know that Dark Horse gave its own origin of the xenomorphs before Prometheus, and the Space Jockeys as well? That also happened.

Dark Horse has been similarly loose with Terminator, but that has the advantage of the excuse of alternate timelines. AvP? Not so much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I dunno.

Dark Horse broke the status quo years ago when it wrote its own sequel to Aliens, with Ripley, Hicks, and Newt going on to fight more xenomorphs. Then Alien 3 happened, so the comics were rewritten to include "Billie," "Wicks," and an android Ripley. So there's technically nothing stopping them from doing such stories (the above story had Earth being infested IIRC), but there's no real sync between them and the movies. Did you know that Dark Horse gave its own origin of the xenomorphs before Prometheus, and the Space Jockeys as well? That also happened.

Dark Horse has been similarly loose with Terminator, but that has the advantage of the excuse of alternate timelines. AvP? Not so much.
I'll be honest with you. I never read that many of the comics, and my interests dropped around 2002 or 2003. I knew about DH's takes on the origins, but never read them.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The Predator franchise was always cheap and cheerful. The last time the Alien franchise turned out anything great was 1986.

Let them both die gracefully.

Reactions: Kae and gorfias

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I guess we can expect a Kraven vs Predator series some time in the future.

Reactions: gorfias

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh yeah, that one is better than anything official any of those IPs have done recently.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Does this mean i. Marvel vs capcom 4 we get thr Predators as playable charecters?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Capcoom...doing a decent humane thing? FAITH IN HUMANITY RESORRRRRRED!
They did bring back Devil May Cry and Mega Man. Resident Evil became scary again, though I did not care for RE7. I consider the Evil Within games better RE games than 7.

Also, you can get AvP (Capcom) from, buuuuuuuuuttttttt.............it's gonna cost ya.