Miller talking more about next Mad Max being a Furiosa prequel

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

I really think it's gonna look stupid having a (in 2015) 39-year-old and a 20-something-year-old play the same character. They're in the same age group, young adult. If they want to do this, they probably should make her a child. That or animate the whole thing, so that the younger Furiosa actually looks the part. Actually, if it is gonna be Jodie Comer, she is already 27. A mere twelve year age difference between two young adults.

I'm sick of Hollywood's obsession with prequels.

Reactions: gorfias

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, wasn't really fussed on Fury Road anyway. Was just a long car chase for the most part. It wasn't a bad car chase or anything, but still.

Would have preferred Charlize Theron, but possibly because I'm being foolishly fan-ish. (Was going to say fan-y, but, yeah, no)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'd rather see a movie about what happened after Fury Road personally, based around Furiosa.

Also does anyone else hear themselves doing the "it's levioSAH, not leviOsah" bit from Harry Potter whenever you say Furiosa's name? Just me? Because I always end up doing it.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I'd like to see Mel GIbson back as Mad Max. Having an older Max would really give a mythological aspect to the next movie. The Road Warrior returns from the desert with just enough gas for one more drive...

And Tom Hardy was rubbish in Fury Road.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'd like to see Mel GIbson back as Mad Max. Having an older Max would really give a mythological aspect to the next movie. The Road Warrior returns from the desert with just enough gas for one more drive...

And Tom Hardy was rubbish in Fury Road.
Sadly Mel is basically unemployable at this point as anything other than a bad guy or a has-been with a redemption-through-death arc in low budget B-movies.

No comment on whatever it was that got him cancelled, I just like him in starring roles and would love to see him again as Max.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, why would they do a prequel, there is so much to do after taking over a fortress. Getting there is just the start.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ugh, why would they do a prequel, there is so much to do after taking over a fortress. Getting there is just the start.
Yeah this is pretty much what I want to see. Trying to establish resources for the population, fighting off new rivals coming in to fill the power void from....whatever his name was, metal face guy. Possible moles inside the fortress, that still believe in metal face guy being supernatural, regardless of seeing his corpse (because you know, that's totally something that actually happens with religious types), and these moles try and destroy Furiosa and her new group through assassination and sabotage, etc.

It's a rich story option, and it sucks they aren't bothering with it. I'd rather see that then someone making a movie just to explain why she lost her arm (who fucking cares, it's the post-apocalypse, shit happens).

Reactions: Ezekiel

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah this is pretty much what I want to see. Trying to establish resources for the population, fighting off new rivals coming in to fill the power void from....whatever his name was, metal face guy. Possible moles inside the fortress, that still believe in metal face guy being supernatural, regardless of seeing his corpse (because you know, that's totally something that actually happens with religious types), and these moles try and destroy Furiosa and her new group through assassination and sabotage, etc.

It's a rich story option, and it sucks they aren't bothering with it. I'd rather see that then someone making a movie just to explain why she lost her arm (who fucking cares, it's the post-apocalypse, shit happens).
Its one of those questions that could only have bad answers. Like Rogue One, that was such a garbage movie that was there to answer questions no one had and we didn't need answered, same with Solo... Probably, I haven't seen that one.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas

Frankly, none of that is a Mad Max movie. Even in a movie in his universe in which he won't make an appearance. It's not even just a question of "what will tonally fit this franchise", it's a question of "what part of the previous Mad Max movies makes you think that George Miller has any interest or any talent for making Game of Thrones in the post-apocalypse"?

OT: Can't say I'm thrilled. I don't really care who portrays Furiosa, I thought all (well, most) of the characters were fine for what they were in Fury Road, but Fury Road was not a character piece. Road Warrior and Fury Road are really the only Mad Max movies worth writing home about (you can chalk in the first half of Thunderdome if you want, but only that, before it turned into a schmalzy kids movie), and they're high octane, extreme action set pieces strung together with the minimum amount of pathos needed to invest the audience in the explosions. I don't really give a damn about having any more story than that. If Miller wants to make another movie like that and thinks that a Furiosa prequel gives him the inspiration to do so, more power to him. It wouldn't really matter who he casts or what the narrative was, since the story is only functional anyhow, and therefore the matter of it being a prequel is of insignificance. If what he wants is to make a heartfelt character piece because all the usual suspects gave him internet blowjobs for making a "feminist piece", I highly doubt it'll end up a movie that anybody would want to see, and would probably mark the end of his career (dude's old and does not have many movies left in him).

I don't have a strong attachment to Max, even as Fury Road is one of my favorite movies of recent times. He's always been a bit of a nothing character, the stereotypical "Man of No Name" of westerns injected into the post-apocalypse. He's an excuse for action to revolve around. A woman can serve just as much as an excuse, and I'll be happy enough if that's the case. But if Miller wants to try to make it more than what it is just because a woman is starring, well, maybe he'll pull it off and we'll get an even better movie than Fury Road, which I'd love, but I think it's more likely to either be flubbed, or just not be the Mad Maxian action movie that I want to see.

Reactions: MrCalavera

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't have a strong attachment to Max, even as Fury Road is one of my favorite movies of recent times. He's always been a bit of a nothing character, the stereotypical "Man of No Name" of westerns injected into the post-apocalypse.
I don't have the biggest attachments either, but Mad I did care for enough in 1, 2, & FR. I do admit that Kenshiro (who is Mad Max combined with Bruce Lee) the better and more interesting counterpart. I will admit that a lot of Max's characters does come in to play in the first two films. 2 is him not dealing with lost of his wife and baby well. Him basically being he who fight monster we see at the end of the first, while continuing on from that in 2. It's usually the smaller and little details that keeps these films interesting. These things do show up in Fury Road for that matter too. I don't care much for Beyond Thunderdome, but it gets way too much hate. The film is just average overall, though try telling that to my parents. They just love Tina Turner in that film.

The prequel idea I don't care much for. Hollywood always seems to have this problem. The prequel syndrome was at its worse in the early 2000s. Especially if it was horror films.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Frankly, none of that is a Mad Max movie.
Well if it's a movie about Furiosa, then it's not a Mad Max movie now is it? And he doesn't have to stick to any fan established structure. He's certainly never bothered with it in the previous films, and has stated that the films have no timeline really, and are basically just anthology stories with Max as the POV. So I see nothing wrong with having a film about a location, I mean he named one of his fucking films after a location, the Thunderdome, and a large portion of the film was centered in that community.

It's not even just a question of "what will tonally fit this franchise", it's a question of "what part of the previous Mad Max movies makes you think that George Miller has any interest or any talent for making Game of Thrones in the post-apocalypse"?
Who said anything about GoT? I sure as hell didn't. Sorry but not every story that involves people in a location and other issues besides shooty stabby WITNESS ME!!! is GoT, or even trying to be. Plus, this is a film and not a series, so the poorly applied GoT paint is doubly silly.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Its one of those questions that could only have bad answers. Like Rogue One, that was such a garbage movie that was there to answer questions no one had
Rogue One rant below
Oh yes the did INDEED have that question. For 40ish damn years. The insane Star Wars fanboys have debated that shit for a RIDICULOUS amount of time. Some people just cannot let details alone when it comes to narrative storytelling. They have to know EVERY mechanical rivet and bolt is accounted for in that weakpoint, because they are just obsessed that way. Nevermind that the Death Star was a construction the size of a MOON, and we have countless examples from real life of large scale projects having critical design flaws that escape inspection, and lead to catastrophic failure down the line. But NOOOOO, that's not good enough! SURELY the Empire would have checked, double checked, and TRIPLE checked EVERY....SINGLE....COMPONENT, on that entire, planetary sized object, before deploying it. Nevermind we see clear evidence in Return of the Jedi that the Empire works more on the "Do it fast, do it NOW, do whatever it takes, because the fucking EMPEROR is coming here, and if we don't get this thing running, we're all dead! I don't care how many people get exposed to lethal radiation in the process of making it work, MAKE IT WORK! "
But no, that's not good enough. No it has to be an intentional design flaw, because obsessed fanboys.

same with Solo... Probably, I haven't seen that one.
Eh, I liked Solo a lot to be honest. It was it's most tedious when it took time to remind you "Hey! Do you remember STAR WARS?! Well this thing is from STAR WARS!! Look! Connective tissue to the other movies!! " But when it was just being a story about smugglers in the Star Wars galaxy, I thought it was great. Of the newer SW films, it's probably the one I enjoy the most to be honest, as far as things like overall enjoyment of time spent, replayability, etc. Force Awakens and Last Jedi are about tied for 2nd, with Last Jedi a bit above Awakens overall

Wanted to get that out, but I don't want to derail this thread into a SW one, so I'll stop there.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Who said anything about GoT? I sure as hell didn't. Sorry but not every story that involves people in a location and other issues besides shooty stabby WITNESS ME!!! is GoT, or even trying to be.
Solving logistical issues, political maneuvering, and subterfuge, paired with genre fiction and fantastical action bits, on a big budget, is what Game of Thrones brought to cinematic relevance. And that's exactly what you're calling for.

Frankly, a more action-focused and shallow-character take on such a premise would be boring, things which are made strengths in Mad Max franchise movies, and were weaknesses in the final seasons of GoT which set the internet on fire for a couple of months, so it's a call for a creator to take something he's proven very, very good at and turn it into something which doesn't fit either his expertise or his franchise, which examples in the past point to having poor consequences.

Plus, this is a film and not a series, so the poorly applied GoT paint is doubly silly.
And trying to claim that a big budget HBO series is incomparable to cinema is what's silly here.

Well if it's a movie about Furiosa, then it's not a Mad Max movie now is it?
You know quite well that it's a movie under Mad Max as a franchise, and my post made it quite clear that I distinguish between Max the character and Mad Max the franchise. Stylistically, tonally, the (good) Mad Max movies have common features, which more than the central character make a movie part of the "Mad Max franchise".

I was going to say "To rephrase a question you have pointlessly shredded with pedantry" and rephrase my ultimate question from the previous post, but on reviewing it, there's actually nothing to rephrase, it was just cogent the first time.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It could be done.

I mean I doubt Furiosa got that prosthetic arm due to a birth defect.

Hell if you really want to go full in just have something about Joe having a war with Barter Town or something.

Have Furiosa end up leading the fight or something and having a "wait are we the baddies" moment as she fights for Joe.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Its one of those questions that could only have bad answers. Like Rogue One, that was such a garbage movie that was there to answer questions no one had and we didn't need answered, same with Solo... Probably, I haven't seen that one.
Rogue One was the only good movie of the new ones.

In fact, I rate it more the some of the originals

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Rogue One was the only good movie of the new ones.

In fact, I rate it more the some of the originals
I literally do not see how, I hated that movie which is actually pretty hard for me. The only 2 scenes I liked from it was the scene with the rebel ship that rams that star destroyer and the Darth Vader scene at the end. But, the characters were just super boring, the plot elements contradicted plot points from the original movie, such as Vader literally seeing the ship with Leia leaving the battle, you have all that weird shit about Hope, like the speech that Jyn gave to people that wouldn't be motivated by hope, or that stupid line at the end with bad cgi Leia just looking at the camera and saying hope. Just blegh.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Darth Vader bit made him seems legit a bit scary, which he should have been. Pay that, boo at everything else. Boo!

Reactions: MrCalavera

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Rogue One was pretty mediocre, and yeah, I never needed an answer to the Death Star's weakness. It was self-explanatory.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Anyway, back on topic...

Eh...

Got no strong feelings either way.

Continue as you were!

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Rogue One was pretty mediocre, and yeah, I never needed an answer to the Death Star's weakness. It was self-explanatory.
Oh yeah, I actually forgot about that. There was no need for some kinda super special weakness, I mean you still would need the plans for it to find those weaknesses but you don't need one specifically designed into it.