Chadwick Boseman - Black Panther - Dead

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Chadwick Boseman, the actor who played T’Challa in Marvel's Black Panther died today, 8/28 from cancer.

Thanks 2020.

Wonder what they're going to be doing for the Black Panther sequel. Are they going to recast T’Challa, or have an entirely new Black Panther instead?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
See, this is why we post things like this in Off topic.

Maybe Shuri will become Black Panther. Her actress doesn't really have the stature tho.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

Chadwick Boseman, the actor who played T’Challa in Marvel's Black Panther died today, 8/28 from cancer.

Thanks 2020.

Wonder what they're going to be doing for the Black Panther sequel. Are they going to recast T’Challa, or have an entirely new Black Panther instead?
Probably the latter. They're already doing it to half the original Avengers anyway.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
2020, the year that just keeps on giving.

Okay, that's it. I'm upgrading my December prediction to "Yellowstone Super Volcano Eruption".

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So do you think Disney will simply recast the same character? Or actually kill off T'chala and give him a sendoff, and bring in the new heir or something as the new Panther?

I'm guessing on the latter, that seems the most respectful option. Screw comic canon continuity.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
So do you think Disney will simply recast the same character? Or actually kill off T'chala and give him a sendoff, and bring in the new heir or something as the new Panther?

I'm guessing on the latter, that seems the most respectful option. Screw comic canon continuity.
There were already lots of rumors that the next movie would have Shuri replace T'challa as Black Panther. At the time, it got peopled riled up over PCness and womens. In the current context, tho (cuz c'mon, Disney had to know about the cancer), suddenly it starts making a whole lot of sense on Disney's end, for reasons beyond the "woke".

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
There were already lots of rumors that the next movie would have Shuri replace T'challa as Black Panther. At the time, it got peopled riled up over PCness and womens. In the current context, tho (cuz c'mon, Disney had to know about the cancer), suddenly it starts making a whole lot of sense on Disney's end, for reasons beyond the "woke".
Well considering he was apparently diagnosed with the cancer as far back as 2016, it's highly likely they new his prognosis was bad, and were planning ahead. Those actors have a lot of medical insurance and stuff for liability reasons on these big movies, so yeah, I doubt it was missed that he had a pre-existing terminal condition.

Actually, thinking about it, that's probably why he was one of the one's that got dusted in the Snap. Just in case he didn't survive until part 2, they could just have him not come back for "mysterious reasons".

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA

Letitia Wright is goddamn brilliant and I absolutely believe she could carry a movie.

Reactions: lil devils x

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Letitia Wright is goddamn brilliant and I absolutely believe she could carry a movie.
Eh, I didn't like her character in BP honestly. She was far too arrogant and sarcastic for my taste. Hopefully her character will "grow up" a bit, after losing her brother and being thrust into the throne as a result.

Though isn't there supposed to be one of those stupid trial by combat? I don't see her winning against the leader of the gorilla faction. But hey, if they decide "hey, you know this is a stupid method of succession" I'm all for it, because it was really stupid.

We'll see how it plays out though.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Eh, I didn't like her character in BP honestly. She was far too arrogant and sarcastic for my taste. Hopefully her character will "grow up" a bit, after losing her brother and being thrust into the throne as a result.
I thought it made her more human. Part of the challenge of writing characters of exceptional ability.

Though isn't there supposed to be one of those stupid trial by combat? I don't see her winning against the leader of the gorilla faction. But hey, if they decide "hey, you know this is a stupid method of succession" I'm all for it, because it was really stupid.

We'll see how it plays out though.
Depends on whether Mbaku would actually challenge. He may have come around by that point. And yeah, it was dumb, that was the point. The whole point of the movie is the clash between progress and tradition and how tradition is counterproductive when done for its own sake.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I thought it made her more human. Part of the challenge of writing characters of exceptional ability.
I wouldnt' say making someone an asshole makes them "more" human. It just makes them an asshole human. You don't have to be a genius to be an asshole, so that's not really a good indication of exceptional ability. Besides, genius or not, openly mocking and laughing in people's faces for being unaware of the capabilities of vibranium (because your society actively kept it from the world), is just plain rude.

This just popped into my head but, given that behavior of "asshole because I'm smart' you consider makes her more human, do you think the same of the new Sherlock show? Because he's a grade A asshole, and I wouldn't say it makes him human. In that it's framed as the thing that sets him apart from everyone else.

*shrugs* Eh, anyway, didn't like the character, hope they let her mature a bit, because I don't want to watch an entire film centered around an arrogant know-it all. It's why I don't watch House, Sherlock, or Rick and Morty, and others like it.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
This just popped into my head but, given that behavior of "asshole because I'm smart' you consider makes her more human, do you think the same of the new Sherlock show? Because he's a grade A asshole, and I wouldn't say it makes him human. In that it's framed as the thing that sets him apart from everyone else.
I haven't actually seen it, though I won't disagree that it's really hard to get right. Also, I read a lot of Shuri's cockiness as a product of naivety. I mean, she straight up starts bragging about her designs to a CIA agent upon first meeting him. Of course, that's just my read on it.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
2020, the year that just keeps on giving.

Okay, that's it. I'm upgrading my December prediction to "Yellowstone Super Volcano Eruption".
And that's more likely then a meteor on a collision course if you ask me.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Kept that hidden quite well, damn. Not a fan of this bowel cancer, taking the pleasant humans away in unpleasant ways.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It's the size of a small car though, with .41% of hitting us, so not exactly doomsday material.
Oh, no biggie then, that'll burn up in the atmosphere, supposing it even enters it.