PS5 is rumored to only be backwards compatible with PS4

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
As I expected it seems there are reports that the Playstation 5's backwards compatibility will only work with Ps4 games. Which seems consistant with all the "free" upgrades between versions that developers seem to be throwing at people. And it's about what I expected.

Considering Emulation for Ps3 and prior is pretty widespread, I figured that Sony wouldn't bother trying to make 5 generations of gaming work on a single system. https://kotaku.com/ps5-will-only-be-backward-compatible-with-ps4-games-ac-1844905688

I'm fine with it, I know people where hoping for more, but I never thought that was a reasonable request so this is perfectly fine IMO.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I feel like anyone who is upset or disappointed in this news are the same people who were upset or disappointed that controllers won't be backwards compatible. In other words, they were disappointed that their unrealistic expectations were unrealistic.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I was under the impression this was already known? Or maybe that's just what I convinced myself of since Sony has never talked about anything other than PS4 bc.

Anyway, I'm fine with it. Skipped the PS4 tho it's got some games that peaked my interest, so might pick up a 5 in a year and a half or so. Unless Sony starts putting all their stuff on PC, cuz then 5 also gets skipped. Anything older can be handled by my phat PS3, or emulation.

Now the real question is how much of the PS4 library will work on PS5. All of them? Most of them? A select number? At launch or by increments over time?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I was under the impression this was already known? Or maybe that's just what I convinced myself of since Sony has never talked about anything other than PS4 bc.

Anyway, I'm fine with it. Skipped the PS4 tho it's got some games that peaked my interest, so might pick up a 5 in a year and a half or so. Unless Sony starts putting all their stuff on PC, cuz then 5 also gets skipped. Anything older can be handled by my phat PS3, or emulation.

Now the real question is how much of the PS4 library will work on PS5. All of them? Most of them? A select number? At launch or by increments over time?
Im assuming the PS5 will read and play ps4 discs just fine. So i doubt there will be any partial library to it.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Im assuming the PS5 will read and play ps4 discs just fine. So i doubt there will be any partial library to it.
Possibly. Would be nice for Sony to come out and definitively say"This is how it's going to be". Tho I'm guessing that'll have to wait til launch window.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
It was pretty much confirmed when they talked about how many PS4 games would be backwards compatible on launch day. That's not something you need to worry about if your system is fully backwards compatible with older consoles.

And PS5 architecture is much more similar to that of PS4 than any of the previous consoles. So why are people in the gaming industry acting all surprised about this now? I know most of them are dense, but I was not aware that they were that dense.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Is it feasible to get remasters of PS3 games for the PS5?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That's what I said years ago as PS4 uses x86 architecture. PS3, they can't really do. And PS1/2 are so old it's not even worth really doing.

Considering Emulation for Ps3 and prior is pretty widespread, I figured that Sony wouldn't bother trying to make 5 generations of gaming work on a single system.
Not a single Uncharted game or God of War 3, Infamous series, MGS4 (and 40% of the library) are even "playable" on PS3 emulation yet.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Not a single Uncharted game or God of War 3, Infamous series, MGS4 (and 40% of the library) are even "playable" on PS3 emulation yet.
True, while good progress is being made, I suspect it'll be at least another 2-3 years before the majority of PS3 titles will be fully playable start to finish.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
True, while good progress is being made, I suspect it'll be at least another 2-3 years before the majority of PS3 titles will be fully playable start to finish.
That might be the case......also you could always play games on Ps3 still.

I mean if people are so passionate about that generation of games, wouldn't they still have the system?

Not to mention that God of War 3 and the Uncharted series and many other games from the ps3 era got ported to the PS4. It's not anyone's fault for you throwing away your old shit when the new shit comes out right?

I have a NES that still works. Not that i need it anymore these days with the NES classic and emulation. I also don't play many old games, unless there is a re-release reason.

It's fine to live in the past and want to revisit old games every once in a while. But I frankly don't see it being a big deal that your new system won't play games from 10 years ago, and I don't believe anyone still spends the majority of their video gaming time playing shit that old, and if they do, then they should still have their old equipment considering they've had no reason to ever upgrade.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I never expected it to work with PS1-PS3 games, but it would have been nice.
Even if it was just PS3/PSN versions of PS1 and PS2 games and not the disks.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I know PS3 is hard due to architectural issues so that was expected, but it is disappointing to know that PS1 and PS2 won't be supported, it'd add a lot of value to me personally if it supported those since my PS2 is broken, so it'd allow me to use my already existing library plus PS4 & PS5 stuff that I don't own.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
You will be lucky to get one at launch. Given the shortages.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You will be lucky to get one at launch. Given the shortages.
They said that about the Switch and i was able to walk right into walmart opening day and pick one up. No line no nothing. Though it did get harder to get one later.

If you plan, i dont think getting one day 1 will be all that hard.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, I don't know who'd have a bug up their behind about PS1/2 compatibility (and we all know that 3 won't happen and basically why).

Anyone invested in their back catalog of weird niche PS1/2 games (given how many have been rematestered or released on PSN by now) probably has the hardware to go with the discs.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I feel like this is information we already knew. Did anyone actually expect to have multiple generations of backward compatibility?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I feel like this is information we already knew. Did anyone actually expect to have multiple generations of backward compatibility?
Yet there are still people who want to act surprised, upset, or "disappointed". Those people are just envying people who will get the X Series X and all of the XBOX games from all generations. I don't mind having only PS4 games be BC. Better than nothing. Plus, most of the PS3 games I wanted to play have been ported to PS4. I got plenty of PS2 games I am already satisfied with.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yet there are still people who want to act surprised, upset, or "disappointed". Those people are just envying people who will get the X Series X and all of the XBOX games from all generations. I don't mind having only PS4 games be BC. Better than nothing. Plus, most of the PS3 games I wanted to play have been ported to PS4. I got plenty of PS2 games I am already satisfied with.
Does game pass actually offer every game ever on an Xbox console, or only the stuff that specifically was licensed by Microsoft?

Either way, it's just bragging rights at this point, because I simply cannot believe that the selling point between the two consoles is going to come down to being able to play Drake of the 99 Dragons on Xbox Series X.