The ?tinx? revolution continues with womxn

Odin

Apr 26, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
This one has been around for a few years at least, but yeah. Among other things, it carries the unfortunate implication that non-cisgender women aren't "proper" women, otherwise why not just call them women?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
On a related note, how do you even pronounce that? Wom-ex-en? Wom-xen? Wo-mex-en?

I, for one, will look to Titania McGrath

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So trans women aren't women? Okay then.

Are there any mxn out there, or is this a er, woman/womxn only thing?
I hear tell that man is already supposed to be gender neutral because the original word for man in ye olde English is werman while woman was wifman.

This one has been around for a few years at least, but yeah. Among other things, it carries the unfortunate implication that non-cisgender women aren't "proper" women, otherwise why not just call them women?
It's the kind of backasswards thing where they have "progressed" so much that they have ended up regressing.

Reactions: Hawki

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
WTF am I reading here and WTF are they calling me Cisgender menstruators? WTf is any of this nonsense about. ....People just need to go do something.. ...anything but this.
WHY?! and WHY post about it here? It just needs to stop, stop making it worse. Madness.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It's the kind of backasswards thing where they have "progressed" so much that they have ended up regressing.

What are you talking about? They're obviously progressing very quickly. This is a bold new initiative that has absolutely no comparison in world history. Why wasn't something like this done sooner?

I, however, demand to be called a Person Without Colour. I expect the terminology to be corrected by the time my tea is served. If, however, the tea is too hot, and my skin becomes pink, I will transfer to the BIPOC cafe until I cool down, in which case I will return to the non-POC cafe and have iced chocolate instead. White chocolate of course, because we don't want anything that's out of place when in the presence of our pure Aryan skin.

Believe it or not, writing that made me feel more depressed than amused. :(

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
WTF am I reading here and WTF are they calling me Cisgender menstruators? WTf is any of this nonsense about. ....People just need to go do something.. ...anything but this.
WHY?! and WHY post about it here? It just needs to stop, stop making it worse. Madness.
Breathe Lil. Breathe! Deep breaths. I get concerned when you start posting so many short sentences.

As to why post about it here (Rather than presumably Current Events) I didn't think this was so much of an event as a thing of note. If this had been caused by an actual talk and not a tweet then I'd consider it more of an event.

This was a bad thread to curiously enter after consuming a second bottle of wine.
I DISAGREE! Think of all the things this will make you think about with that wine. Like what else we can put an x in. Like Bexrs or plxtepxsses, or cxts.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
It seems a bit lazy to just swap an E for an X. Ideally you want a word that doesn't include "m_n" at all. I'd suggest Womble. It's a memorable word and easy to pronounce.

Reactions: JoJo and Hawki

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Breathe Lil. Breathe! Deep breaths. I get concerned when you start posting so many short sentences.

As to why post about it here (Rather than presumably Current Events) I didn't think this was so much of an event as a thing of note. If this had been caused by an actual talk and not a tweet then I'd consider it more of an event.

I DISAGREE! Think of all the things this will make you think about with that wine. Like what else we can put an x in. Like Bexrs or plxtepxsses, or cxts.
Plxxsx wxn't sxmxbxdy thxnk xf thx chxldrxn!

(I had to fiercely battle the autocorrect for that shite)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
We have a similar thing in Spanish, because every noun is gendered (el libro, la librerĆ­a) and there're no neutral pronouns like the, they or them. So there's this dumb ongoing trend of replacing the final vowel of any word with an X to mask gender (ie. amigo/amiga, as in male friend or female friend, becomes amigx). It makes a little bit of sense considering words are gendered in Spanish. I don't see the excuse in English though.

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
I hear tell that man is already supposed to be gender neutral because the original word for man in ye olde English is werman while woman was wifman.

1) I don't know what this is about and from the looks of it I really don't want to know. HOWEVER:
2)It is weird as a woman having to explain that I am a woman who was born with a vagina online when people ask me weird questions like if I am trans because it is so common online in places I frequent. How many guys are even asked if they were born with a penis vs how many girls get asked this question now.

3) I have no problem with transwomen being women, I have a problem with the confusion it causes for both transwomen and women who were born with a vagina and even being put in a place where I have to talk about my vagina when I normally would not have had to do so due to the confusion this causes. Most transwomen present as women, but have penises because bottom surgery is difficult and complicated. It is weird having to explain whether a woman has a vagina or a penis in general and especially weird for me to have to do so about myself when this is just awkward to even be brought up as much as it is. There is entirely too much focus on this DUE to the confusion it causes now.

4)Growing up we were taught that being born with a vagina made us a girl. In my traditional culture, transwomen were known as two spirits and celebrated, but they were not thought of being just like a woman who was born with a vagina though it was recognized and well accepted they were feminine and that is considered to be a great thing and they were considered gifted with abilities and understandings that neither men or women had individually, but instead they had understandings and abilities unique to two spirits alone. They were considered insightful and necessary to our community due to their unique outlook on life. Our tribe accepted that they were a female spirit and celebrated them as such.

5) I think where it gets too weird and complicated is when you try to call both women who were born with Vaginas and those who were born with penises the same thing it gets confusing on so many levels because they are not, even though they both have a female spirit. That isn't transphobic to recognize that we are different, I just wish they had a better way of addressing the differences without having to automatically take it to having to discuss vaginas, penises cis and trans.. something that seems well more flattering to all involved. I Guess because where I come from, " two spirits" was seen as beautiful and a beautiful name for a beautiful person and complementary, like a flower or a dove. Women are beautiful so I see the words like trans and cis as not being very beautiful and just makes it all seem less feminine when the words used to describe females SHOULD BE. We need prettier names to call ourselves than cis and trans. Hopefully over time language will fix these ugly names to something more appropriate and beautiful like the women they are supposed to define and represent.

6) I am opposed to gender neutral terms. I think attempting to hide cover up or make our gender differentiation disappears does a disservice to all involved. People who are feminine should be proud to be feminine and should't hide it. They should celebrate it. People who are masculine should be proud and celebrate their masculinity as well. People who are both should enjoy being so and not hide it in shame, and those who feel like they are neither should do the same. It is the idea that any of these things are bad is the problem. They are all great in their own ways and people should not be ashamed or hide who they are.

Reactions: Hawki

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
We have a similar thing in Spanish, because every noun is gendered (el libro, la librerĆ­a) and there're no neutral pronouns like the, they or them. So there's this dumb ongoing trend of replacing the final vowel of any word with an X to mask gender (ie. amigo/amiga, as in male friend or female friend, becomes amigx). It makes a little bit of sense considering words are gendered in Spanish. I don't see the excuse in English though.
That's so silly. Everything in nature is gendered. That's how the world works! Tables are obviously female, and books are male, as the good Lord intended!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm not even sure what the excuse is in Spanish either.

Stuff like "Latinx" came around to include people who don't identity as either gender. That's somewhere between 0.1 and 1% of the population, so I'm tempted to call it a solution without a problem, especially when terms like "Hispanic" already exist.

If someone wished to be referred as Latinx, I'd accomodate them, but aside from that, it strikes me as being similarly silly to "womxn." And I still don't even know how you pronounce it (La-tee-nex? Latin-ex? La-tinx?)

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
...So basically it's like when PETA tried to get people to stop using the term "fish" and tried to get them to use the phrase "sea kittens" instead in the hope that it would turn people off eating fish?