Trump admits to Bob Woodward that He Knew How Deadly Covid-19 was back in February of this Year.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

Weeks before eventually declaring a national emergency, President Donald Trump admitted to legendary investigative journalist Bob Woodward that he knew the coronavirus that’s now killed 190,000 Americans was airborne, highly contagious, and “more deadly than even your strenuous flus.”

And there are tapes of Trump making these on-record comments, including his admission that he “wanted to always play it down.”

The president, who minimized the virus for weeks before finally and belatedly acknowledging in mid-March that measures needed to be taken to combat it, told Woodward on Feb. 7 that “this is deadly stuff.” At the same time, Trump was publicly downplaying the danger of the virus, claiming repeatedly that it would just “go away” and “disappear,” a refrain he has held onto to this day.

This man who said that if we stopped testing, the numbers wouldn't be so high.

The man who didn't want to further our knowledge of this virus because it would magically go away.

We want to talk about Biden's policies on this and that. Trump willfully lied to the American People, denied knowledge, and killed people like my mother and my grandmother.

Not only do I want him not to win this year, I want him in jail for at least a year for every American Death starting from his Misinformation Campaign.

To everyone who still wants to vote for him at this election... You know now what he did. You know the cost it carried, and you're putting politics over human life. Talk around that any way you like, it's inhuman.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So, when can we start the upteen senate investigations into the 180,000 deaths so far?

I mean, if they can investigate Hillary for years for 4 American deaths in Benghazi, they can apply the same Standard to Trump.

Oh, wait, they work for him. Nevermind. Can't make the boss look bad.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
“more deadly than even your strenuous flus.”

So...when can we start breaking out the guillotines?

EDIT: The date on the video is even more galling.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
He was "preventing panic". Because good American citizens want a leader who they can trust - to lie to them in moments of crisis.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Real society we got here.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Well that's just genuinely presidential. The man actually considered the consequences of his words and attempted to inspire hope, and there's evidence of it. Crazy.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Your Orwellian mental gymnastics have always been impressive, but I think you may have surpassed yourself this time.
"President knew danger of virus weeks after closing travel from China and having national health emergency declaration" isn't exactly a bombshell. It'd be damning if they had secret recordings of him not understanding the threat after the national health emergency declaration.

I just don't live in the world where Trump is the virus and the solution is more terror.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
To me the most interesting thing about this is that this guy sat on this info for all this time and didn't make it public to sell more books. Just imagine the people he coulda saved if he revealed this info back in february.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Well that's just genuinely presidential. The man actually considered the consequences of his words and attempted to inspire hope, and there's evidence of it. Crazy.
"Hmm.. Tell people that COVID-19 can actually be rather harmful and that we should all be vigilant about it... or tell people that it's not a big deal, have them go about their lives like they always would, potentially spreading the virus, infecting more and ultimately killing more people...

Yup, I'll go with option B, there'll be less panic, right?"

The presidential route would have been to be honest with people and calm their fears, not lie to them in order to instill a false sense of security.

Reactions: faeyr

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
To me the most interesting thing about this is that this guy sat on this info for all this time and didn't make it public to sell more books. Just imagine the people he coulda saved if he revealed this info back in february.
It is indeed a terrible breech of journalistic ethics that Woodward sat on this for the better part of a year.

Still, I imagine this will only move the needle slightly in either direction. Trump's supporters would find a way to be pro-infanticide if he demanded babies be sacrificed to him.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Zero. Zero fewer people would have died if he "revealed" this in February. There was a national public health emergency declared before this was recorded.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Zero. Zero fewer people would have died if he "revealed" this in February. There was a national public health emergency declared before this was recorded.
Maybe more people would have taken the disease seriously if "their president" had openly taken it seriously?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Thing is that because Trump was downplaying it, people took a while to take it seriously, and some still don't, whereas if they knew he was worried about it, they'd take it more seriously and that would prevent a lot of infections.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Thing is that because Trump was downplaying it, people took a while to take it seriously, and some still don't, whereas if they knew he was worried about it, they'd take it more seriously and that would prevent a lot of infections.
People have taken it extraordinarily seriously in this country. Infections were never going to be prevented, that was literally the point of "flatten the curve", just as many people get sick, but you try and spread them out to not overwhelm the healthcare system. No place that takes Trump seriously overwhelmed the hospitals, not a single one.