The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reunion special (+ reboot in the works)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Today I learned they're shooting a Fresh Prince special reuniting the full cast, including Janet Hubert aka the original Aunt Viv. Well, minus James Avery of course, who passed away in 2014. His presence will be missed. But still, as someone who grew up watching Fresh Prince over and over in syndication, seeing the cast in that familiar set brings out all kinds of fuzzy nostalgic feelings in me.
Kind of balls it's going to be HBO Max only, but no matter, I'll get around to it.

They're also doing a reboot called Bel-Air.
From what I've read of it, it's going to be a darker dramatic re-imagining. Not sure what I think of this. Might be good in its own right, but I suspect it won't have the same level of lightning in a bottle as the original did.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Not King?

Bleh.

From what I've read of it, it's going to be a darker dramatic re-imagining. Not sure what I think of this. Might be good in its own right, but I suspect it won't have the same level of lightning in a bottle as the original did.
So, I've never seen Fresh Prince at all, but from what I can tell, would any of the fanbase actually ask for "darker and grittier?"

Reactions: lil devils x

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So, I've never seen Fresh Prince at all, but from what I can tell, would any of the fanbase actually ask for "darker and grittier?"
Not sure, I'm not actually the intended audience, but my guess would be no.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not King?

Bleh.

No. the fact that was a statement put out there does not fill me with confidence. The show could do dark and dramatic moments pretty well, but at the end of the day it's still a comedy. We'll see how it goes, but hopefully it's just all buzz talk. I do wish him the best of luck, but I really don't think the show needs a reboot. Sometimes it's just best for things to end.

Loved the show, really it was a staple of growing up, uncle Phil might as well have been my own uncle. But times are different, and without Phil
View attachment 869
Uncle Phil and Carl Winslow were like having extra pairs of uncles. My father would get along with guys just like them fine. The characters and the actors.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
Yea I am sad James Avery will not be in it, but I definitely will give it a watch. I liked this show. *still think this was the best show/movie Will Smith did* It was weird trying to watch him do serious roles after this tbh.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I mean, the premise divorced of the sitcom context does sound like a TV drama. Young black guy from Philly gets assaulted and arrested for a crime he didn't commit, his protective parents send him to a rich white neighborhood on the other side of the country to live with well-to-do relatives, clash between the black experience in different social and economic classes ensues.

Reactions: lil devils x

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The show could do dark and dramatic moments pretty well, but at the end of the day it's still a comedy.
I think one of the reasons the dramatic moments went over so well was because they were out-of-the-ordinary for the show. It's a sudden and shocking change when all of a sudden Will gets shot and Carlton buys a gun, and there's a feeling of investment that might not be present in a more seriously-themed show.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think one of the reasons the dramatic moments went over so well was because they were out-of-the-ordinary for the show. It's a sudden and shocking change when all of a sudden Will gets shot and Carlton buys a gun, and there's a feeling of investment that might not be present in a more seriously-themed show.
Exactly! When I think Fresh Prince, I do not envision, dark-reboot no one asked for.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not sure, I'm not actually the intended audience, but my guess would be no.
Same. I don't think anyone who fondly remembers the original show is looking for a dark, dramatic re-imagining. The charm of the original was the classic "fish out of water" tale: a young, urbanized black kid thrust into affluent society with black relatives for whom such society is the norm and the antics that occur when the classes clash. As a sitcom, the show was meant to be fun; it occasionally touched upon the more serious topics of race and class relations, but it was mostly lighthearted and wholesome. Why anyone looked at that and said "If this wasn't funny at all, it'd be great" is beyond me. Maybe it's the times, race/class issues being a hot topic and easy way to gain notice? As someone else mentioned, the objective premise is ripe for a dramatic imagining, but why not tell a new, different story; why associate it with the original show at all?

And how are they going to shoehorn in the running gag of Uncle Phil throwing DJ Jazzy Jeff out the front door? Maybe show Jeff get tossed once then turn to a life of drug abuse and prostitution on the mean streets of Beverly Hills?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
And how are they going to shoehorn in the running gag of Uncle Phil throwing DJ Jazzy Jeff out the front door? Maybe show Jeff get tossed once then turn to a life of drug abuse and prostitution on the mean streets of Beverly Hills?
Oh dear, hadn't considered that yet. The reboot is going to need an Uncle Phil. Hard to imagine anyone other than James Avery in that role. That's going to be jarring.