HELP NEEDED Comparing Battlegrid Maps

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
So, I am shopping for a gift for my brother in law and my sister told me he needs a 1 inch square grid dry erase battlegrid map for their D&D e5 but she said she doesn't know what type I should get or have any information to provide me. The photo she sent me of what she thought he wanted looked like this one:
D&D map choice 1
But then I saw these other sets:
D&D map choice 2
D&D Map choice 3

Does anyone have any of these to give me an idea of their quality? Which one would you pick, or do you have a better option in mind?What type of Grid do you use?
I don't want anything too expensive, after all, this is just my brother in law, not my actual brother and he has a beard, so there is that. XD

Last edited:

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
The only one I've had is the Chessex brand battle grid this one, that has a hex grid on the other side and I've had it since 2014 and it's still doing fine, there are some parts that have lost some colour due to having used the wrong kind of marker and having to clean it with alcohol but it's still perfectly fine and does the job, personally I like the Chessex one because I like using the hex grid for the game I run and the other DM likes using square grid, so that way we're both happy with the same product, that being said the one you linked does look more durable so if you're sure your brother prefers square grids and know if he's perhaps a bit rough it could be worth it, but I've had no trouble at all with the flimsier Chessex one for 6 years.

As for the designs, I personally would go for the parchment coloured one, it just fits every situation, then again we're not the kind of group that uses terrain and I know the textured one might be more appealing for that kind of group.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The only one I've had is the Chessex brand battle grid this one, that has a hex grid on the other side and I've had it since 2014 and it's still doing fine, there are some parts that have lost some colour due to having used the wrong kind of marker and having to clean it with alcohol but it's still perfectly fine and does the job, personally I like the Chessex one because I like using the hex grid for the game I run and the other DM likes using square grid, so that way we're both happy with the same product, that being said the one you linked does look more durable so if you're sure your brother prefers square grids and know if he's perhaps a bit rough it could be worth it, but I've had no trouble at all with the flimsier Chessex one for 6 years.

As for the designs, I personally would go for the parchment coloured one, it just fits every situation, then again we're not the kind of group that uses terrain and I know the textured one might be more appealing for that kind of group.
Yea my sister specified he wanted a 1 inch square grid. They all contain a parchment color. I am wondering about how much difference in quality there is between option 1 and option 2, they are made by the same company, but option 1 has a 'durable polymer" on the bottom, but I don't think the others do. But Option 2 and 3 come with 3 reversible terrains and am wondering if that wouldn't be better than just one non reversible one. I am not sure of the quality differences between the ones listed.

Option 3 has map straighteners you put on the side too that makes the maps lie flat and not curl up as well.

Last edited:

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I don't know a lot about those. I think the ones we used when I was a teen were homemade by my dad, basically big sheets with a grid printed on them that were laminated or something. If you don't have either a plotter or laminator on hand, I don't know if the DIY option is any cheaper.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I don't know a lot about those. I think the ones we used when I was a teen were homemade by my dad, basically big sheets with a grid printed on them that were laminated or something. If you don't have either a plotter or laminator on hand, I don't know if the DIY option is any cheaper.
Yea don't have those on hand. I was spoiled when I used to play. My friend had a dedicated room in his mansion where all the walls were lined with high quality figures and terrain squares made with actual moss and sand and gravel on wood that you could build your map with as well as the center of the room was a custom table where you could attach the pieces securely. The grid was carved into the wood underneath the moss/ sand ect so you could still see the grid, but wasn't on top of the map. Their entire setup was amazing. Reminded me of the first time I walked into Children's Medical Center in Dallas and saw the train set there it was so awesome.

But yea, My brother in law isn't getting all that. He is going to get a map if I can ever manage to pick one out. So if anyone has any ideas on the ones in the OP or something similar please let me know!

Reactions: SupahEwok

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Yea don't have those on hand. I was spoiled when I used to play. My friend had a dedicated room in his mansion where all the walls were lined with high quality figures and terrain squares made with actual moss and sand and gravel on wood that you could build your map with as well as the center of the room was a custom table where you could attach the pieces securely. The grid was carved into the wood underneath the moss/ sand ect so you could still see the grid, but wasn't on top of the map. Their entire setup was amazing.
Damn, I'm gonna have to remember that for if I ever strike it rich...

Reactions: lil devils x