Whistleblower says top DHS officials distorted intel to match Trump statements, lied to Congress

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

WASHINGTON — A whistleblower is accusing top Trump administration homeland security officials of violating laws and policies by lying to Congress and manipulating intelligence reports to conform with President Donald Trump's political agenda.

A written complaint by Brian Murphy, who was a top Department of Homeland Security intelligence analyst, accuses top DHS officials of blocking analysis of Russian election interference, watering down intelligence reports about corruption and violence fueling a refugee flow from Central America, and "modify(ing) assessments to ensure they matched up with the public comments by President Trump on the subject of ANTIFA and 'anarchist' groups."

The complaint also says DHS gave false information to Congress last year about the numbers of suspected terrorists crossing the southern border. That allegation mirrors the findings of an NBC News report in January 2019, which determined that the Trump administration was misrepresenting the data on suspected terrorists crossing the southern border, claiming thousands when in fact there were almost none.

"The whistleblower reprisal complaint depicts a sustained and disturbing pattern of misconduct by senior Trump administration officials within the White House and DHS," said a statement by House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., who released the complaint Wednesday afternoon.

Schiff said the complaint "outlines grave and disturbing allegations that senior White House and Department of Homeland Security officials improperly sought to politicize, manipulate, and censor intelligence in order to benefit President Trump politically." He added: "This puts our nation and its security at grave risk."
Coronavirus. Antifa. Police handling of the public. Climate Change. I am actually out of words. At this time, I'm just really left to marvel at the defenders at this time.

To put it succinctly... It's the same adage. You don't have billowing smoke all the time if there isn't fire. But let's go. Round 329. Fight.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
This is why reforming American intelligence agencies is impossible

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The more I see of the current state of the USA, the more convinced I am that four more years with Trump will be disastrous for it. Not in the "civil war" or "secession" way, but in the way that the USA will become the richest third world nation in the world.
I dunno. It'll take a lot of effort to beat Italy for that place.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
This is why reforming American intelligence agencies is impossible
Other Nations have done so, The US can do so as well. We can reform American agencies, right now however, they have more pressure than ever to abuse the agency for political attacks due to Trump replacing anyone who wanted to keep it bipartisan. Trump replaces anyone who refuses to comply with his demands regardless of how illegal his demands are. We need independent oversight to all our agencies. Actually having anti corruption and abuse of power laws with teeth for enforcement makes a huge difference in other nations and it would solve the problem as well. Trump's repeated and blatant abuse of power just shows the holes in our current system that need to be plugged. We need to actually plug those hoes to prevent it from happening again. The sheer number of officials from his own administration speaking out on this though goes to show even his best people saw Trumps interference for what it was.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
And Biden or Bernie were going to turn the US into Venezuela, eh? Plenty of bananas to go around right now, it seems.
He already is claiming he is going to pull a Porfirio Diaz and re-elect himself because... well... what actually would stop him from doing so? His supporters love the idea.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
He already is claiming he is going to pull a Porfirio Diaz and re-elect himself because... well... what actually would stop him from doing so? His supporters love the idea.
Looking back on trump's previous patterns He has a tendency of accusing others of what he himself is actually doing instead. So this fits perfectly within his behavior patterns as an expected action he would take.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
It is almost as if the age old tactic of putting your nepotistic cronies into positions of power and holding it over them to make them do what you want works, imagine that.

The more I see of the current state of the USA, the more convinced I am that four more years with Trump will be disastrous for it. Not in the "civil war" or "secession" way, but in the way that the USA will become the richest third world nation in the world. A lot of Americans already distrust the political system and federal government and four more years of this will make everyone else feel the same way. That level of distrust and contempt does terrible things to any country.
murica has been a third world country with 1st world resources for over a decade.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but I don't see how this event is evidence.
Any executive or old fashioned crony can turn a woke federal office into a fascist force on a whim.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I think its worse than they love the idea. They'll take up arms and start using '2nd Amendment Remedies' to ensure it comes to pass.
Remember when Sarah Palin took a bunch of heat for posting pictures of Democrats with targets over their faces and called for Republicans to reload? Well now they're actually in the streets shooting people.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I mean since like...ever. We've never not been a 3rd world country with loads of money and guns
Not the greatest fan of the US's government and social system, but that's not looking like a useful definition if you're going that far.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I'm not sure even his supporters wouldn't have seen this coming. Not that they care as long as their enemies still get hurt.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Not the greatest fan of the US's government and social system, but that's not looking like a useful definition if you're going that far.
But an honest look at US history shows is mostly the poor, slaves, down trodden and underclasses abused and killed by the rich elites. This nation has honest to God gone to war with workers over unions. Like send in the tanks, and use planes to bomb them war on US soil to stop worker unions.
We're pretty bad.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
You know the thing about this, is that no other president in our memory has had so many of their most ardent supporters, their own administration, their best people and those close to them come out and tell us that the President of the US is dangerously unfit for office, but people act like it is no big deal. Like seriously, how is this not resonating with people? They now just dismiss Trumps own appointed officials telling us he is unfit for office and a danger to the people as being " liberals that just hate Trump", when they are instead the actual conservatives that worked hard to get him elected in the first place. The fact that they do not seem to care is what is truly baffling.

How many other presidents can you think of that had their own appointed administration officials telling us that they are dangerously unfit? Why is that suddenly acceptable now?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
But an honest look at US history shows is mostly the poor, slaves, down trodden and underclasses abused and killed by the rich elites. This nation has honest to God gone to war with workers over unions. Like send in the tanks, and use planes to bomb them war on US soil to stop worker unions.
We're pretty bad.
They used planes and bombed black wall street too, no one was ever arrested for it, then tried to hide it. If it were up to the wealthy they would be able to bomb their competitors to increase their profits at this point.

The scary thing about Trump is though, he isn't above slaughtering the poor, his policies already literally directly result in massive deaths of the poor, and he has said repeatedly he wants to use the military on the protesters, so if they rise up due to his policies, I am sure he has no problem using military against them as well regardless of what they are protesting about. Him thinking he could trade Puerto Rico for Greenland because it's filled with " dirty poor people" he doesn't think should be citizens in the first place. It really is ugly when you look at everything he is actually doing here.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
How many other presidents can you think of that had their own appointed administration officials telling us that they are dangerously unfit? Why is that suddenly acceptable now?
To be fair the only other president in recent memory that comes to mind where there was as much money to be made from doing so was Obama, and I think he had a better head for picking out staff who weren't useless sycophants only fit to betray him as soon as they got out of arms' reach.