Police shoot (another) unarmed black man in the back 7 times

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Are all their cops running around with guns? They redefined the role of their police officers. EXACTLY what I said needed to be done. However, the UK and most western nations have a more socialized safety net so they also do not have as much to worry about paying for out of pocket. My neighbor who was a cop couldn't even afford his daughters braces.
I also cannot afford braces because nobody can fucking afford braces. Nobody has money. We are all fucking broke. My friends have gone a decade without visiting a doctor because of this shit. Why must we make cops special first?
Then why are they building so many new homes in my area if NO ONE can afford to live?
Because your neighborhood is full of privileged white boomers and landlords.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I get paid more than a cop in my region with my 4 year degree.

Cost of living and regional variations of compensation are a thing, which doesn't even get into the massive supply of college labor deprecating demand problem we have, or the lack of employee negotiating power.

But all that is kinda seperate from the main point of "make them go throuhh the rigors of a real public good license, and then pay them accordingly", isn't it?
Cool, I’m paid dramatically less than mine and they’re still beating me, should they get paid more?

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I also cannot afford braces because nobody can fucking afford braces. Nobody has money. We are all fucking broke. My friends have gone a decade without visiting a doctor because of this shit. Why must we make cops special first?

Because your neighborhood is full of privileged white boomers and landlords.
Sorry I edited to be specific LEG BRACES, so his daughter could walk. US healthcare even for officers families often sucks as well.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Nobody here has argued that giving cops more take home pay is the only means necessary or required to make them better. I think that they need higher hiring and training/education standards. There are plenty of professions regulated via licensing boards to maintain a level of competence and accountability for the public good. One of my own fields, surveying, requires 3 recommendations from senior surveyors, a 4 year degree, and a notoriously difficult exam for the junior license. For the senior license, you need at least 2 years of experience (after getting the junior license, not before) broken down very precisely between several different aspects of the job (which means in practice a lot of people need more than 2 years), you need to submit a full urban and a full rural survey plat (a map you draft of the property), and you need to pass another exam. Both levels of licenses require several hours of continuing education credits a year. Engineers, lawyers, doctors, they all have a hand in public safety and have similar standards to uphold.

Cops get a license to kill ("in self-defense") after 6 weeks and a few months shadowing a senior patrol officer.

That shit's out of wack.

Naturally, increased compensation will follow increased standards, because that's what would be needed to attract people to go through all the hassle. They'll go together.
Is the training period seriously just six weeks?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Cool, I’m paid dramatically less than mine and they’re still beating me, should they get paid more?
The point of paying them more is how we " REPLACE" the bad cops beating you. We have to have people who don't want to beat you apply so that we can hire them instead. We aren't going to get them to even apply without giving them some better options here.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
“I don’t think cops make enough money”
They get paid well over median income in most cities at an entry level.
“Well, that’s not survivable in most major cities!”
Then maybe we should do something about that lower half of the population first.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
The point of paying them more is how we " REPLACE" the bad cops beating you. We have to have people who don't want to beat you apply so that we can hire them instead.
MAYBE WE CAN JUST TAKE AWAY THEIR AUTHORITY TO BEAT ME???

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
“I don’t think cops make enough money”
They get paid well over median income in most cities at an entry level.
“Well, that’s not survivable one most major cities!”
Then maybe we should do something about that lower half of the population first.
How do you get people who do not want to kick your teeth in to apply to become a cop if we do not change the incentives?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
MAYBE WE CAN JUST TAKE AWAY THEIR AUTHORITY TO BEAT ME???
What does it matter if we can't replace the officers when they do? I also provided the needed oversight and accountability as well but we are still not going to be able to replace them with better if we do not address that as well.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
STOP LETTING COPS KICK TEETH IN
What does it matter if we can't replace the officers when they do? I also provided the needed oversight and accountability as well but we are still not going to be able to replace them with better if we do not address that as well.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
That may just be "on the job" training. Police academy takes longer than that. And then most places have you spend months or years working at a penitentiary before you get to be the "on patrol" kind of cop.

The point of paying them more is how we " REPLACE" the bad cops beating you. We have to have people who don't want to beat you apply so that we can hire them instead.
What relation does money have with someone's proclivity to violence?
Can't a person say "I'll beat you up for free!" just as easily as they can say "I'll beat you up for money!"?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Don’t! Do not replace them with more cops! Replace them with traffic enforcers or people with zero authority to arrest! Replace them with social workers! No more cops!
Cops are traffic officers here.. Most of the people getting their teeth in are having it done at traffic stops.. Biden is calling to bring in social workers and psychiatrists and everyone started complaining about that.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Then why are they building so many new homes in my area if NO ONE can afford to live?
Far lefters say its all the Chinese buying up homes to launder money.

I think it's lots of reasons, but primarily it's a clash of narratives. Millenials like to say that we've been fucked over and are hopelessly staring out of a hole we have no hope of climbing out of. That is true - but for some people more than others.

What it really is, is that my generation is looking at a general lower standard of living in each of our lines of work, compared to the Boomers. Some of us were starting from a higher standard than others, and can still afford homes. But it certainly feels like there's a larger proportion of us who can't, compared to earlier generations. My starting salary is just shy of 50k. Getting a room for $700 a month without having to pay utilities is a fairly thrifty imposition on my standard of living that is saving me approximately $500 a month. And while trying to keep things to the minimum of what I need (unfortunately, gotta get a new car, so there's that bill...), I'm ending up with about $500/month in savings. If it weren't for finding this room, I'd scarcely be doing better than living month-to-month. And even that $500/month is going into savings for my next semester of grad classes, not into a house or retirement.

$50k salary is a pretty good salary for entry level STEM work. It was also honestly a step above the higher end of the range of my expectations. If I'm living frugally and still not having a house in sight, while being paid well for my position, then I really don't know who is buying those houses or how the many members of my generation who are not as fortunate as I am are getting by.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
This is all just such insane liberal nonsense!
“The only way we can get cops to do better is if we pay them more”
If any other job was full of this much abuse, the correction would not be “give them more money.” I fuck up at my job and I get fired. Next guy does too they fire them. Mill workers fail a drug test? Fired. But cops, cops are pristine objects that must be rescued from the dumps of the working class so they can better oppress them. What the fuck man.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
It can actually be less, it depends on the state/ jurisdiction. They actually do not even have requirements to be a sheriff here outside a high school diploma.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Far lefters say its all the Chinese buying up homes to launder money.

I think it's lots of reasons, but primarily it's a clash of narratives. Millenials like to say that we've been fucked over and are hopelessly staring out of a hole we have no hope of climbing out of. That is true - but for some people more than others.

What it really is, is that my generation is looking at a general lower standard of living in each of our lines of work, compared to the Boomers. Some of us were starting from a higher standard than others, and can still afford homes. But it certainly feels like there's a larger proportion of us who can't, compared to earlier generations. My starting salary is just shy of 50k. Getting a room for $700 a month without having to pay utilities is a fairly thrifty imposition on my standard of living that is saving me approximately $500 a month. And while trying to keep things to the minimum of what I need (unfortunately, gotta get a new car, so there's that bill...), I'm ending up with about $500/month in savings. If it weren't for finding this room, I'd scarcely be doing better than living month-to-month. And even that $500/month is going into savings for my next semester of grad classes, not into a house or retirement.

$50k salary is a pretty good salary for entry level STEM work. It was also honestly a step above the higher end of the range of my expectations. If I'm living frugally and still not having a house in sight, while being paid well for my position, then I really don't know who is buying those houses or how the many members of my generation who are not as fortunate as I am are getting by.
Usually it takes two incomes to afford a home here, the problem is they buy the home then they have kids and then they often lose the second income needed to make the payments when Mom has complications or has to take off time from work, then they lose their home. We have to address cost of living vs salaries across the board though to make this actually sustainable.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
That may just be "on the job" training. Police academy takes longer than that. And then most places have you spend months or years working at a penitentiary before you get to be the "on patrol" kind of cop.
I'd meant to be generous and say 6 months, which is the max I've ever heard of. Most places are between 2-4 months tho.