Cancelcon

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
What particularly didn't you like about that debate?
It wasn't the debate but my assessment of Vaush as a person from it. Keep in mind, I mean separate from his stance on that issue. I feel that even separate from his stance that he was making a lot of bad faith arguments. I would go into more detail but that would come with the risk of this thread devolving back into discussing that event and I don't think anyone wants that.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It wasn't the debate but my assessment of Vaush as a person from it. Keep in mind, I mean separate from his stance on that issue. I feel that even separate from his stance that he was making a lot of bad faith arguments. I would go into more detail but that would come with the risk of this thread devolving back into discussing that event and I don't think anyone wants that.
I'm mean, he's a Dirtbag. Those tactics didn't work in 2014 and turned a bunch of people against the movement that shall not be named. They still haven't learnt anything. It's very troubling to me as this type of tactic seems to be very popular. But then I look at Sam Harris and realise he too spends a lot of time insulting people and not actually debating, when comparing to someone like Dillahunty or Zizek. And he’s definitely way more popular. So this isn't a new thing. Like, I could imagine Harris producing such a anti-SjW video he has such little nuance in some of his takes

And to bring it back full circle. I'm still debating in my head whether Cancel Culttire is an extension of this or a reaction. Or probably both

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm pretty tired of people who seem to be able to pop up all over the place in media complaining that they should have even more visibility, blaming their failure to meet mass public praise on conspiracy rather than the fact they're just mediocre wankers.

These are the worst sort of attention seekers, latching onto whatever passing fad can trick rubes into shoving money their way. I suppose at least we can applaud their entrepreneurial spirit.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I'm mean, he's a Dirtbag. Those tactics didn't work in 2014 and turned a bunch of people against the movement that shall not be named. They still haven't learnt anything. It's very troubling to me as this type of tactic seems to be very popular. But then I look at Sam Harris and realise he too spends a lot of time insulting people and not actually debating, when comparing to someone like Dillahunty or Zizek. And he’s definitely way more popular. So this isn't a new thing. Like, I could imagine Harris producing such a anti-SjW video he has such little nuance in some of his takes

And to bring it back full circle. I'm still debating in my head whether Cancel Culttire is an extension of this or a reaction. Or probably both
If you think Zizek isn’t spending a good portion of his debates insulting people you simply don’t understand his sense of humor.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If you think Zizek isn’t spending a good portion of his debates insulting people you simply don’t understand his sense of humor.
I'd also blame my ability to understanding his accent. Becuase it's rough.

Also, he's more likely to use sentences to insult. I don't remember him calling people psychopathic just because he didn't agree. A lot of the IDW just use one or two word insults.

Side note: does anyone follow the IDW know what the Break in Unity thing is?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I'd also blame my ability to understanding his accent. Becuase it's rough.

Also, he's more likely to use sentences to insult. I don't remember him calling people psychopathic just because he didn't agree. A lot of the IDW just use one or two word insults.

Side note: does anyone follow the IDW know what the Break in Unity thing is?
This is because Zizek is much more intelligent than the people he is typically insulting, who are almost universally morons.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm pretty tired of people who seem to be able to pop up all over the place in media complaining that they should have even more visibility, blaming their failure to meet mass public praise on conspiracy rather than the fact they're just mediocre wankers.

These are the worst sort of attention seekers, latching onto whatever passing fad can trick rubes into shoving money their way. I suppose at least we can applaud their entrepreneurial spirit.
Yeah, I also think Laurence Fox is a dick.

They're all just grifters separating fools from their hard-earned; most of them don't believe a word of their own bullshit.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah, I also think Laurence Fox is a dick.

They're all just grifters separating fools from their hard-earned; most of them don't believe a word of their own bullshit.
Laurence Fox is the worst sort of pompous, posh fool who thinks he deserves to be listened to because he went to an expensive school. The beneffit of these schools to their pupils is to instill an impeccably posh, confident attitude. It's then the public's problem because it gives us a load of mediocrities who can get their foot in their door due to attitude and connections.

Reactions: Baffle

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
You'd think you wouldn't, but then, a lot of due these days is given to "lived experience."

On the other hand, hasn't stopped us from discussing it. To my knowledge, none of us has been cancelled.
I got banned on the old forum, that counts, right?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I got banned on the old forum, that counts, right?
Well, depends what you were banned for.

Yoshi was banned for directly harassing Nick, so sure, I'm all for that for instance.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Well, depends what you were banned for.

Yoshi was banned for directly harassing Nick, so sure, I'm all for that for instance.
It was actually a voluntary ban. At the time one of the mods said I could return any time I liked. That turned out not to be true.