It might be time to split the country.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I think it's time to split the country due to irreconcilable differences. The red states and blue states are so fundamentally different, there's no way to compromise. When a country can't even agree to wear masks during a pandemic, or that a cop shooting unarmed people is bad, it's time to accept that the United States is a failed experiment. Why should two parts of the country force themselves to stay with someone they so obviously can't stand?

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
That's nice and easy to *say* but it's not particularly practical. How does one divide the debt, how does one handle the actual geography of these political splits? Why would I think it's a good idea that people who are in the wrong states just get fucked over? Would I even want these other people as neighbors in charge of their own country? What about classified information in the government?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The west coat made up of the states west of Kansas, east coast made up of the states east of the Mississippi river and the midwest being everything else.

Hawaii and Alaska can decide where they want to go.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I think it's time to split the country due to irreconcilable differences. The red states and blue states are so fundamentally different, there's no way to compromise. When a country can't even agree to wear masks during a pandemic, or that a cop shooting unarmed people is bad, it's time to accept that the United States is a failed experiment. Why should two parts of the country force themselves to stay with someone they so obviously can't stand?
If only it were that simple, since it can be argued it's less "Red vs. Blue states" and more "Red rural areas vs. Blue Urban(and increasingly) suburban areas.

I mean, hell, here in Oregon you have red states who want the rural parts of Oregon to split off and join with Idaho, because they're mad the only power they have in the state anymore is for the some of the state senators to simply to throw a hissy fit and flee the state rather then do their fucking jobs.

Though honestly, I'd be shocked if we have a country anymore in 4 more years if Trump stays president. The man has clear disdain for blue states and democrats, which doesn't do anything to foster anything like national unity or solidarity. I mean, hell, we're in the middle of a national fucking disaster and half the country seems to think it's either a hoax or not a problem and that masks are "Tyranny".

However, if the west coasts were to split off and form Pacifica, I'd be cool with that. The question is, would the Red states(and Trumpy Boy) let us go, despite the fact they seem to hate us.

Trump:"If you don't like America, LEAVE!"
Blue states:"Okay"
Trump:"Don't you fucking dare!"

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Honestly, I think the Blue States would create a failed state and come barging over Red States borders to escape their collapsing country. Then they would get angry with the Red Staters for trying to enforce their borders.

Best to just try to fix things though it won't be easy. Check this out:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Like it or not, this state is the only place where it can sustain itself in case the fed ever collapses.
Which isn't a testament to the quality of the characters and egos of those Texans who advocate for secession.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Though honestly, I'd be shocked if we have a country anymore in 4 more years if Trump stays president. The man has clear disdain for blue states and democrats, which doesn't do anything to foster anything like national unity or solidarity.
Because the dems have so much tolerance and patience with differing view points in contrast.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Because the dems have so much tolerance and patience with differing view points in contrast.
Obama routinely blamed red states for everything and threw the treason/traitor word around for the GOP? Do you have a source for this?

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Obama routinely blamed red states for everything and threw the treason/traitor word for the GOP? Do you have a source for this?
The hypocrisy from the right during this administration when compared to their behavior during Obama's is palpable. Like, it genuinely baffles my mind some of the things they say and do with a straight face. Take any of Trump's negative headlines and controversies, replace "Trump" with "Obama," and the right would shit themselves with enough force to achieve low orbit.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Honestly, I think the Blue States would create a failed state and come barging over Red States borders to escape their collapsing country. Then they would get angry with the Red Staters for trying to enforce their borders.

Best to just try to fix things though it won't be easy. Check this out:

Don't worry, we'll all gay marry ourselves out of existence within a generation or two and then you guys can come in and reclaim everything, with Jesus leading the way :rolleyes:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Don't worry, we'll all gay marry ourselves out of existence within a generation or two and then you guys can come in and reclaim everything, with Jesus leading the way :rolleyes:
There are people holding that is actually happening. Religious people, in, for instance, Israel reportedly have better fertility rates.
I do wonder what the future would look like if they lift the 2 week ban on Ectogenisis trials and really get that thing going. I've asked about it on this forum before but most men don't seem interested in the technology.
You also hint at a more desperate problem. Suppose the Blue States really do radically decline. Will they look like easy pickings for the Red states causing us to be in a hot war anyway?
Again, best to just try and figure this all out.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Differing view points is suuuuuuuuch a useless phrase. It can mean anything from 'we should eradicate all life on the planet' to 'we should rape and kill everyone we see' to 'I like chocolate ice cream'. It's just used to mask what's actually being talked about.