Disney's Live Action Mulan Criticized For Crediting Agencies That Have Harmed The Uighur People

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ah, the irony.

Capitalism= Communism is bad!

Also Capitalism= Communist China, we're fine with your atrocities as long as we gain access to your markets.

I can't tell if Marx would be disgusted or vindicated, honestly.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Exhibit A:

The man he is with is Wernher von Braun during the 1950s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernher_von_Braun
He swears he didn't know that his V-2 factory was a concentration camp.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Werner didn't give a shit as long as the rockets got made and the US didn't care because they got Werner, his team and a bunch of quality V2s.

They may be nazis, but they're our nazis.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think there is a big difference between appealing to a demographic and using that demographics own stories to try to make it big there

Even Baz Lurhmann, who is meant to be Australian, created the monstrosity that is the movie Australia which is not really like Australia at all... It's more like the US version of Australia. And then they wonder why it didn't do well at the box office
The original animated movie was just as hated though. Not that it wasn't also an attempt to appeal to China, but certainly not to the extent that this new Mulan was. And considering how blatant Hollywood has been in trying to appeal to China in previous films without any complaints from Chinese audiences, I find it odd that with this movie they would take such offense to being pandered to. Didn't China itself also make an incredibly dumb movie about the Great Wall being a barrier against literal monsters?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The original animated movie was just as hated though. Not that it wasn't also an attempt to appeal to China, but certainly not to the extent that this new Mulan was. And considering how blatant Hollywood has been in trying to appeal to China in previous films without any complaints from Chinese audiences, I find it odd that with this movie they would take such offense to being pandered to. Didn't China itself also make an incredibly dumb movie about the Great Wall being a barrier against literal monsters?
Now it just sound like your talking about Pacific Rim

Great Wall was made by the Chinese government... probably not a smart choice if you want to be successful. Most Chinese dont like their government

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Now it just sound like your talking about Pacific Rim

Great Wall was made by the Chinese government... probably not a smart choice if you want to be successful. Most Chinese dont like their government
Pretty much every movie that plays in China is "made" by the Chinese government, considering the strict censorship laws. And if most Chinese don't like their government you'd think the movie industry wouldn't be so booming over there. I think it's more a case that most Chinese don't care about the government so long as they have money to spend, which seems to be the government's strategy. That and keeping the public blind to all the shit that's happening and has happened in their own country.

Reactions: MrCalavera