Bloomberg Pays Fines for 32,000 Felons in Move to Bypass GOP Voter Suppression Obstacles

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It doesn't at all address the hypothetical, but that's nice.
I'd be perfectly happy for a Trump-supporting billionaire to help citizens vote. It's an admirable thing to do irrespective of who does it. Supporting Trump does not make anyone a bad person - lots of good people can have valid reasons to vote Republican. I might disagree with their decision, but I would need to know precise and (in my opinion) immoral reasons before I would condemn them.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
That seems like your taking it easy on him
Agreed. It's funny that even if he donated all that money himself it would be comparable to me donating about $60 if we calculated it as a percentage of net worth... Maybe people shouldn't have that kind of money. He just bought 32000 votes with pocket change and did it publicly. Imagine what a billionaore can achieve in secret with more than 0.02% of their net worth. Only good billionaire is a dead one.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Agreed. It's funny that even if he donated all that money himself it would be comparable to me donating about $60 if we calculated it as a percentage of net worth... Maybe people shouldn't have that kind of money. He just bought 32000 votes with pocket change and did it publicly. Imagine what a billionaore can achieve in secret with more than 0.02% of their net worth. Only good billionaire is a dead one.
A dead one that left all their money to actual good causes and not a church or their spoiled brats.

See if they use their money to buy homes for the homeless and pay off the taxes on the house for the lifetime of the homeless person receiving it, that would be a great billionaire.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
A dead one that left all their money to actual good causes and not a church or their spoiled brats.

See if they use their money to buy homes for the homeless and pay off the taxes on the house for the lifetime of the homeless person receiving it, that would be a great billionaire.
Unfortunately literally no one ever became a billionaire by being a good person. It necessarily precludes you from being a good person, the best a billionaire can do is offset some of the damage caused by them becoming billionaires. Be better just to not have them in the first place.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Unfortunately literally no one ever became a billionaire by being a good person. It necessarily precludes you from being a good person, the best a billionaire can do is offset some of the damage caused by them becoming billionaires. Be better just to not have them in the first place.
I agree, that would be great. We have like 23 billionaires around where I live here, so yea it is definitely screwed up that any one person has that much money when we have so many who cannot even afford a roof over their heads, medication, food, and other basic necessities. The fact is we do have them though so I see the best way to " deal with" the existing ones is to use their money to take care of those who have none. I am in favor of basing CEO pay and investor profits on the income of lowest paid person working for them. That would be a great start to helping even this out. That in addition to basic income and a minimum standard of living requirement. A wealth tax to pay for maintaining a minimum standard of living requirement would work nicely to offset this I would think.

Last edited:

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

We shouldn't applaud a billionaire for giving some of the money back. It wasn't theirs to begin with.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Well, I did just mean tax him more
Look in my opinion if you get 10 million, your set for life, invest that in the stock market, 100 million your family is set for life, but 1 billion, who needs 1 billion?

I mean I get it you could buy some real estate, and with a big enough imagination any amount can be spent, but no one needs 1 billion, and it's immoral to hoard a medium/resource that is needed to live in a scarce world.

The endgame of Bezos and Musk is to hoard lots of money, go to space to mine asteroids, then make even more money, but lets entertain his possible ultimate end goal, he or his family/his heirs owns every single thing in the universe ( assuming the universe is finite, but expanding), he even owns the frontiers of said expansion. Okay, but why, you could have been safe forever from bankruptcy with a small fraction of that money. Life is more than dick-measuringcontest. I get the endgoal, I can't comprend why?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yep. If you get 10 million, you no longer have to work. You can live entirely on the labor of others and quite comfortably.
Yeah. I'm pretty sad about this...

But also, they tend to treat workers way worse that the average boss. They generally make terrible decisions that's imposed on workers and consumers alike. They waste money on uselss stuff just for the sake of prestige (fakeness)

If it costs $10 million to keep them out of the economy, I think it's actually a small price and probably an economic boon to everyone