RBG’s dead and Mitch is gonna do it

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
There are two feminist positions on the draft: make it universal or abolish it entirely.
A conservative asshole trying to introduce making it universal had to vote against his own proposal. Shockingly, the same white dude *also* opposes women being in combat to begin with, so I get a two-fer by only posting one link:
A proposal to expand the draft to include women was first introduced in 2016 by then-Rep. Duncan Hunter, a vocal opponent of women serving in combat, in an unusual episode during negotiations over the annual defense policy bill. Hunter offered the amendment as a dare, and voted against his own proposal.
[/URL]

The main reason the ERA failed was over the draft. Usually conservatives (men and women) were against it
Women make up a majority of eligible voters in the US. They currently have and spend much more money than do men. They are able to get laws passed requiring bigotry against men. Example: In California, when forming corporate boards, by law, they are required to engage in bigotry against men.

If women want to get a thing legislated for themselves, they can and will do so. 95% of combat deaths are male? They could easily get that to 50-50. It isn't what they want.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Women make up a majority of eligible voters in the US.
Marginally, they do.

As an aside, rich people make up a tiny, insubstantial fraction of the US population. Clearly, they have little or no political power.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Women make up a majority of eligible voters in the US. They currently have and spend much more money than do men. They are able to get laws passed requiring bigotry against men. Example: In California, when forming corporate boards, by law, they are required to engage in bigotry against men.

If women want to get a thing legislated for themselves, they can and will do so. 95% of combat deaths are male? They could easily get that to 50-50. It isn't what they want.
To be fair, I think a whole bunch of people want it 0-0 because all these forever wars are pretty pointless.

Also, women can vote all they want. They cant make laws here's who can. Trump's, Obama's and Bush's cabinets

I wonder if you can notice a pattern...

Because these are the guys who actually determine whose allowed to serve

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
To be fair, I think a whole bunch of people want it 0-0 because all these forever wars are pretty pointless.

Also, women can vote all they want. They cant make laws here's who can. Trump's, Obama's and Bush's cabinets

I wonder if you can notice a pattern...

Because these are the guys who actually determine whose allowed to serve
I would think even if we can get out of these stupid forever wars, there will still be casualties. They happen even in training. Getting that number closer to 0-0 would be laudable though.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

Actually the President/Executive Branch cannot make any laws. Only Congress can actually make laws or change existing laws:

"All legislative power in the government is vested in Congress, meaning that it is the only part of the government that can make new laws or change existing laws. "

And even though women are more than half the population, women ONLY make up 25 % of the Senate and 23 % of the House. So yea, this idea of women controlling much of anything right now is beyond absurd.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I would think even if we can get out of these stupid forever wars, there will still be casualties. They happen even in training. Getting that number closer to 0-0 would be laudable though.
IIRC, in one recent year, the US Army had something like 90 casualties in training (something high double digits). Don't remember the year or the exact number, as the point the person was making was that half of them were from handguns.

Double digits doesn't seem that bad, comparatively.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
What you need are nice, short, in-and-out snappy wars like Grenada and Panama.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

“When I'm sometimes asked when will there be enough women on the Supreme Court and I say, 'When there are nine,' people are shocked. But there'd been nine men, and nobody's ever raised a question about that.” ~Rruth Bader Ginsburg

Is it bad that I wish this would happen, if for nothing else, but to see men who are terrified of the idea of women simply doing what men have done throughout history completely lose their shit? It would be rather hilarious tbh. It wouldn't be the woman's fault that the men had strokes and heart attacks at the mere idea of women actually finally being equal to men.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Is it bad that I wish this would happen, if for nothing else, but to see men who are terrified of the idea of women simply doing what men have done throughout history completely lose their shit? It would be rather hilarious tbh. It wouldn't be the woman's fault that the men had strokes and heart attacks at the mere idea of women actually finally being equal to men.
Not to mention the people claiming that they don't care about gender, they just want the most qualified people, and it's just a coincidence/science that that's always men if we assume a meritocracy.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Not to mention the people claiming that they don't care about gender, they just want the most qualified people, and it's just a coincidence/science that that's always men if we assume a meritocracy.
Then, they suddenly are against meritocracy when they find out that most valedictorians are now female.

"Nationally, 70 percent of high-school valedictorians are girls."

Though this is STILL not represented in top schools, as top schools still often discriminate against women:

"But it’s a different story at many of the nation’s top private colleges. Yale, for instance, has had higher acceptance rates for men than women 14 out of the last 15 years. Vassar College’s acceptance rate in 2018 was 35 percent for men versus 19 percent for women. At Georgetown, it was 18 percent for men and 14 percent for women. At my alma mater, Brown, it was 10 percent for men and 8 percent for women."

It is pretty difficult for them to claim their admissions are merit based when their admissions numbers do not match the national statistics for merit.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Then, they suddenly are against meritocracy when they find out that most valedictorians are now female.

"Nationally, 70 percent of high-school valedictorians are girls."

Though this is STILL not represented in top schools, as top schools still often discriminate against women:

"But it’s a different story at many of the nation’s top private colleges. Yale, for instance, has had higher acceptance rates for men than women 14 out of the last 15 years. Vassar College’s acceptance rate in 2018 was 35 percent for men versus 19 percent for women. At Georgetown, it was 18 percent for men and 14 percent for women. At my alma mater, Brown, it was 10 percent for men and 8 percent for women."

It is pretty difficult for them to claim their admissions are merit based when their admissions numbers do not match the national statistics for merit.
So now you're against affirmative action?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
So now you're against affirmative action?
That has nothing to do with elite institutions discriminating against females. There were still more black females who were valedictorians than there were black males.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
So whats their excuse this time? I thought they wanted to make sure that judges wouldn't be appointed until after election so that the murican peoples voices are heard.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So whats their excuse this time? I thought they wanted to make sure that judges wouldn't be appointed until after election so that the murican peoples voices are heard.
So far, a handful of reasons I've seen are shit like "it's the president's duty to fill the position as quickly as possible." "the voice of the people need to be heard about this." and tons of other bullshit they are tossing up to try and hide their hypocrisy on the subject. Because they don't actually give a shit about their constituency, they just know they can use them to push their own self-serving agendas.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
So far, a handful of reasons I've seen are shit like "it's the president's duty to fill the position as quickly as possible." "the voice of the people need to be heard about this." and tons of other bullshit they are tossing up to try and hide their hypocrisy on the subject. Because they don't actually give a shit about their constituency, they just know they can use them to push their own self-serving agendas.
I want political parties to be abolished. They never get anything done and it's incredibly tribalistic.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I want political parties to be abolished. They never get anything done and it's incredibly tribalistic.
I think the US is too big to function without representational democracy, and in such a system representatives will naturally group together based on mutual interests. I think the solution, not the ideal solution because I don't have any idea what that might be, would be to implement a multi-party system like the ones seen in Europe. As it currently stands people are forced into just two parties and it is really easy to get polarized, but if you had ten parties you'd have the parties you agreed more or less with on certain issues but still disagreed with on other issues.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I think the US is too big to function without representational democracy, and in such a system representatives will naturally group together based on mutual interests. I think the solution, not the ideal solution because I don't have any idea what that might be, would be to implement a multi-party system like the ones seen in Europe. As it currently stands people are forced into just two parties and it is really easy to get polarized, but if you had ten parties you'd have the parties you agreed more or less with on certain issues but still disagreed with on other issues.
Yeah, people try to get rid of parties, but it just doesn't work.

Preferential voting allows more parties, though in Australia we've still only got 2 really viable options (Labor and the Liberal/National coalition), with the Greens way below either of them.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That has nothing to do with elite institutions discriminating against females. There were still more black females who were valedictorians than there were black males.
I'm not sure that I follow. Do you think Ivy League schools accepting higher percentage men than one would expect based on merit is a good thing?