Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Goonies 2? When did The Goonies get a sequel?
There's a Goonies 2 platformer video game for the NES, which was a sequel to a Goonies platformer for the famicom by Konami(because Konami used to make video games and not gambling machines).

It involves rescuing a mermaid named Annie from the Fratellis. No, this is not explained anywhere. It's basically because video games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Enola Holmes (2020)

Good flick, oddly paced compared to more by-the-book formulas, based on some YA books and it shows. (Not that that's bad)

Millie Brown performs admirably, Cavill makes a fantastic Sherlock, Mycroft is appropriately misanthropic.
It was based on an actual book series? I was under the impression Enola was a Netflix creation.

OT: Enola Holmes seems to be twitter's favorite movie of the week. I liked the characters and the performances of the actors, but hooo boy the story was fucking ridiculous. It's like they crammed two different books into one movie, but forgot to finish the the plot of the first book. The first book also happens to be the much more interesting one of the two. The plot lets down the women empowerment shtick of the movie ironically.

Rather sad really, because it is a concept that I like. Millie Bobby Brown is indeed likeable and Cavill is a fucking hunk of wagyu man meat stuffed into tiny suit but still perfect for the role. I wouldn't mind a sequel, which is good because the movie is just one big fat sequel bait.

Lastly, man Mycroft is an asshole. As the only and eldest brother in the family, I dislike his character quite a bit. He never got his just desserts either.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Pacific Rim: Uprising (7/10)

So, there's no easy way of saying this - I think Uprising is better than the original film

Right, now that I've lost 90% of the audience with that claim, let's get some stuff out of the way. That's not to say this film is flawless, and if you liked the original, I can see why you dislike this film. Sort of. To clarify, I did think the original film was "good," but only in the sense that it was good at what it was trying to be. Uprising, on the other hand, is just better popcorn fun, and if your premise is giant monsters fighting giant robots, then yes, Uprising is better. For instance, I can see someone disliking the fights here when compared to the original, in that they're much more frantic, with less of a sense of weight for the Jaegers. However, frankly, I find them more enjoyable, not to mention that I can see what's going on much better (since in the original, kaiju apparently only attack at night for...reasons). And if we're looking at the in-universe perspective, I can buy that ten years of development allowed Jaegers to become more acrobatic. I mean, the science is already bonkers, is this where you draw the line? Also, on the subject, there's a stronger sense of worldbuilding here, that this is a world that's not only had to live through kaiju attacks, but now lives in the aftermath of those attacks. Like, similar enough, but different enough that kaiju worshipers and railguns on the Sydney Harbour Bridge

Far as characters go, they're likable enough. Archtypes, sure, but likable, and that's pretty much how the original was as well. Still, it isn't perfect, and it does have to spread its load across more characters than the original, which means that pretty much all the cadets feel underdeveloped, but the core leads are solid enough. Even if Lambert is so similar to Raleigh that I blinked when he was called "Nate," and there's a pseudo love triangle that goes nowhere, that I could swear that scenes were cut extrapolating on it. But still, fine. You know what isn't fine? Plot elements. I know, it's stupid to look for plotholes in a Pacific Rim film, but there's a retcon so absurd I have to mention it. Apparently, ever kaiju during and prior to the last film was heading for Mt. Fuji. This is despite the fact that the very first kaiju we see goes inland across the United States, and one goes south to Sydney. So either the writers have no idea about geography, or they think the audience doesn't.

Still, at the end of the day, I liked Uprising. It's big dumb fun, and that's all it wants to be. And for the most part, it succeeds.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Snow White and the Huntsman
My expectations of this movie were incredibly low, as all I ever saw of it was a trailer of Snow White in armor and a bunch of people sword fighting. So I went in expecting absolutely nothing (this was my second pick after Robin Hood (2018) managed to scare me off within 3 scenes and 5 minutes, first with a rote romance scene, then a supposed lord got a draft notice and not a call to arms and ended up in the Crusades where no knights exist but the Muslims have repeating crossbows and everything is Iraq 2003 but with bows and arrows instead of assault rifles). I was pleasantly surprised. The visuals are top notch and the re-imagining of the Snow White tale is not as uninspired and rote as one would expect from a safe Hollywood production. Special mention goes to the scenes in Sanctuary and how effectively it contrasted with the rest of the movie. Charlize Theron hamming it up is always a joy to watch too.
Yeah, there's some nice visuals and Charlize Theron gets some cool outfits to wear while she's shouting and being OtT evil at people. I have it on DVD, together with the sequel, in which Kristen Stewart doesn't appear (because of convoluted reasons that Donald Trump was angrily tweeting about at the time), but we do have Emily Blunt as another OtT evil queen. Twice the evil queenage!

And while I've only seen Robin Hood once years ago, I don't remember the Iraq bits. I do remember the WW2 Normandy landings bit towards the end, though. Best skip that, yeah.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

So, there's no easy way of saying this - I think Uprising is better than the original film

Right, now that I've lost 90% of the audience with that claim, let's get some stuff out of the way. That's not to say this film is flawless, and if you liked the original, I can see why you dislike this film. Sort of. To clarify, I did think the original film was "good," but only in the sense that it was good at what it was trying to be. Uprising, on the other hand, is just better popcorn fun, and if your premise is giant monsters fighting giant robots, then yes, Uprising is better. For instance, I can see someone disliking the fights here when compared to the original, in that they're much more frantic, with less of a sense of weight for the Jaegers. However, frankly, I find them more enjoyable, not to mention that I can see what's going on much better (since in the original, kaiju apparently only attack at night for...reasons). And if we're looking at the in-universe perspective, I can buy that ten years of development allowed Jaegers to become more acrobatic. I mean, the science is already bonkers, is this where you draw the line? Also, on the subject, there's a stronger sense of worldbuilding here, that this is a world that's not only had to live through kaiju attacks, but now lives in the aftermath of those attacks. Like, similar enough, but different enough that kaiju worshipers and railguns on the Sydney Harbour Bridge

Far as characters go, they're likable enough. Archtypes, sure, but likable, and that's pretty much how the original was as well. Still, it isn't perfect, and it does have to spread its load across more characters than the original, which means that pretty much all the cadets feel underdeveloped, but the core leads are solid enough. Even if Lambert is so similar to Raleigh that I blinked when he was called "Nate," and there's a pseudo love triangle that goes nowhere, that I could swear that scenes were cut extrapolating on it. But still, fine. You know what isn't fine? Plot elements. I know, it's stupid to look for plotholes in a Pacific Rim film, but there's a retcon so absurd I have to mention it. Apparently, ever kaiju during and prior to the last film was heading for Mt. Fuji. This is despite the fact that the very first kaiju we see goes inland across the United States, and one goes south to Sydney. So either the writers have no idea about geography, or they think the audience doesn't.

Still, at the end of the day, I liked Uprising. It's big dumb fun, and that's all it wants to be. And for the most part, it succeeds.
My main problem with Uprising is that the film is fun, but forgettable. A 5/10. The film feels like a straight to-DVD/VHS sequel. The pandering to China is there too, but does not get in the way that much compared to other film (I know they funded the sequel). The fact that they killed Mako, a fan favorite, did not sit right with me. Ending on a sequel hook that will never happen and trying to chase the Cinematic Universe money train doomed it to even more failure. Uprising bombed at the box office (It did okay in China, yet even they felt they were being pandered too much), and the animated sequel that was supposed to be on Netflix got canceled. I do admit the action scenes are better. They were the least of my problems, though I did not think the action scenes in the original were that bad. Though the monsters showing up mostly at night only can be seen as redundant. At the both films did not do the Micheal Bay, quick-cut, shaky-cam nonsense. At least I can tell what's going compared to most of the Bayformer films and many others that try to pull that bullshit.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Cloud Atlas: ???/10

If you’re one of those who think Inception was a pretentious movie that spent two hours with its head up its own ass, I implore you to watch this movie to bear witness to an even more impressive feat: a film that spends nearly three hours with its head so far up its own ass, you can see its bald spot crowning though the back of its throat.

How they convinced this truly star-studded cast to sign on to this garbled mess of purported cleverness is beyond me. I’m not even sure how to give a synopsis; Tom Hanks (yes, THAT Tom hanks) and Halle Berry are the main characters who appear in at least six different-yet-somehow-interconnected timelines spanning from roughly the 1700s to a dystopian, distant future (supposedly as their own ancestors, different races or other lives, take your pick,) and the movie jumps between the timelines with the compulsivity of a hummingbird on cocaine. Oh, and despite releasing in 2012, the practical makeup effects are ‘80s piss-poor, a real shit job, pathetic, i.e.: you get to see Hugo Weaving (yep, Agent Smith) in drag as well as some sort of impish, Mad Hatter delusion of one of Tom Hanks’ iterations, and both come off as disgraceful B-movie camp. The films ends trying to tie the shit-show together with some sort of “love conquers all” theme, but sweet Lord, it taxes so much of your attention span before getting there, it lands about as flatly as horizontal piece of paper in a vacuum.

In conclusion, Jesus H. fucking Christ.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Cloud Atlas: ???/10

If you’re one of those who think Inception was a pretentious movie that spent two hours with its head up its own ass, I implore you to watch this movie to bear witness to an even more impressive feat: a film that spends nearly three hours with its head so far up its own ass, you can see its bald spot crowning though the back of its throat.

How they convinced this truly star-studded cast to sign on to this garbled mess of purported cleverness is beyond me. I’m not even sure how to give a synopsis; Tom Hanks (yes, THAT Tome hanks) and Halle Berry are the main characters who appear in at least six different-yet-somehow-interconnected timelines spanning from roughly the 1700s to a dystopian, distant future (supposedly as their own ancestors, different races or other lives, take your pick,) and the movie jumps between the timelines with the compulsivity of a hummingbird on cocaine. Oh, and despite releasing in 2012, the practical makeup effects are ‘80s piss-poor, a real shit job, pathetic, i.e.: you get to see Hugo Weaving (yep, Agent Smith) in drag as well as some sort of impish, Mad Hatter delusion of one of Tom Hanks’ iterations, and both come off as disgraceful B-movie camp. The films ends trying to tie the shit-show together with some sort of “love conquers all” theme, but sweet Lord, it taxes so much of your attention span before getting there, it lands about as flatly as horizontal piece of paper in a vacuum.

In conclusion, Jesus H. fucking Christ.
To the surprise of very few people who follow my posts here, Cloud Atlas was probably my favourite American movie from the last decade.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
To the surprise of very few people who follow my posts here, Cloud Atlas was probably my favourite American movie from the last decade.
For the love of God, please explain it to me. I don't pretend to be a movie buff, but I do know my likings are broad and am no stranger to cerebral films that test my mental capacity to "keep up," but this one lost me almost immediately and continued to do so for the next 3 hours...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The pandering to China is there too, but does not get in the way that much compared to other film (I know they funded the sequel).
I don't really mind the "pandering." Film production tends to 'pander' to whatever group it takes place in. Hollywood 'panders' to American audiences, the BBC to 'British' audiences, etc. If China has a role in the film, well, welcome to the 21st century.

The fact that they killed Mako, a fan favorite, did not sit right with me.
I can understand people being peeved with Mako's death. That said, the lack of Raleigh bothers me more. I get that his actor had another comittment, but Nate is pretty much Raleigh in every way, to the point that they look identical. I'd hapilly have Raleigh recast and have Nate's role, because I can see that arc making sense to him, going from "devil may care badboy" to an instructor, becoming more like Pentacost. Cliche? Yeah. But as a career path, it makes more sense than Mako becoming secretary general (because apparently piloting mechs is a natural stepping stone).

Ending on a sequel hook that will never happen and trying to chase the Cinematic Universe money train doomed it to even more failure.
Even if we don't get a sequel, I'm not too miffed. The film has an open-ending (kaiju will keep coming, humans will keep fighting) rather than a cliffhanger, so it works for me. And I don't see PR as a cinematic universe. It's still a standard single IP with an EU, rather than like the MCU (which is multiple IPs sharing the same universe).

At the both films did not do the Micheal Bay, quick-cut, shaky-cam nonsense. At least I can tell what's going compared to most of the Bayformer films and many others that try to pull that bullshit.
Yeah, I got Bayformers flashbacks as well, but I could actually see them. Heck, even beyond Bay, Amara and Scrapper kind of remind me of Charlie and Bumblebee, only Scrapper isn't really sapient, so...

Yeah, I didn't really get that. It's the formula of "a girl and her robot," only without the robot being an actual character.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't really mind the "pandering." Film production tends to 'pander' to whatever group it takes place in. Hollywood 'panders' to American audiences, the BBC to 'British' audiences, etc. If China has a role in the film, well, welcome to the 21st century.
You forgot part where I mentioned that even Chinese audiences felt they were being pander too much. Many of them did not like the film. If that don't tell you something, I don't know what else. I know it's not the worst to do this, but at least it does not get that much in the way. There is only so much pandering you can do before it gets tiring, boring, and predictable. The Chinese movie going audience feels the same in certain cases. This is why I love the straight-to-DVD action film market in the West. They could not give a shit about pleasing everything Chinese.

Americans Hate Tingle: Despite the increased Chinese elements, the Chinese film goers don't buy it. The film gets a 5.5 on China's most popular movie review site, and many find the China-pandering cringe worthy and brain-dead. However, the bulk of the criticism centers actually on Jing Tian and her character. Jing Tian had caused a massive backlash ever since she got roles in Legendary's movies (namely The Great Wall and Kong: Skull Island) due to her connections instead of her skills to net her star roles. Many Chinese netizens even coined the term "Jing Tian Cinematic Universe" to connect all of her roles into a giant web of mockery.

The film has an open-ending (kaiju will keep coming, humans will keep fighting) rather than a cliffhanger, so it works for me.
That is a cliffhanger with an ending like that. There ain't nothing open-ended about that. They were expecting at least two more films.

And I don't see PR as a cinematic universe. It's still a standard single IP with an EU, rather than like the MCU (which is multiple IPs sharing the same universe).
Tell that to Legendary pictures and the Chinese studio backing them. They tried for an MCU and failed big time.

Yeah, I didn't really get that. It's the formula of "a girl and her robot," only without the robot being an actual character.
Yet I found Amara more interesting than Sam and Bumblebee from the trilogy by comparison. Amara ain't too original as you said, but she is not loud and obnoxious.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The Best Years of Our Lives | 1946 | USA | 2 hrs 50 min | William Wyler | Score: 9/10

I cried. More than once. This movie came out at the perfect time. About the soldiers coming back from the war and trying to reintegrate (figure out their relationships and work). It feels honest, and it's hopeful.

I kind of wish they had done a little more with Stephenson's story, the father who approves loans to veterans at the bank.

Graveyard (Not my screenshot):

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
That is a cliffhanger with an ending like that. There ain't nothing open-ended about that. They were expecting at least two more films.
Disagree.

This is probably getting into semantics, but a film not getting a sequel when it leaves the door open for one isn't the same as a cliffhanger. Looking at Uprising specifically, the very last words are (almost literally), that the kaiju will keep coming, and that the PPDC will always be there to stop them. There isn't some glaring plot hole or plot point to address, it's more "this is the status quo now." If there's never a sequel film, honestly, I won't feel left out, because that's a status quo I'm fine with.

Tell that to Legendary pictures and the Chinese studio backing them. They tried for an MCU and failed big time.
If they were trying for an MCU, Pacific Rim would need to exist with another IP.

Again, semantics, but I'll put it this way. The MCU is an example of a cinematic universe because it's a franchise with multiple IPs within the same setting - Iron Man, Captain America, etc. Pacific Rim, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc., aren't. They may be developed, expansive universes, but they're not what I'd call cinematic universes such as, say, the DCEU, or Universal Monsters, or "Monsterverse" (because that isn't confusing at all), or so on.

Yet I found Amara more interesting than Sam and Bumblebee from the trilogy by comparison. Amara ain't too original as you said, but she is not loud and obnoxious.
Well, Amara's at least not yelling "Scrapper!" every five seconds, so there's that. On the other hand, if we're comparing her to Charlie, then Amara kind of falls flat. Which may not be the best comparison, since Charlie and Sam were the protagonists of their movies, while Amara is secondary/tertiary.

Also, I have to ask what her plan was. "I'm going to build my own mech for when the kaiju come back." Okay, great. You want to make it bigger? Cripes, the film can't even give Amara her time to shine piloting Scrapper, instead giving it to Shwen. A character who, as far as we know, has never piloted a mech up to this point, and has only designed drones.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
For the love of God, please explain it to me. I don't pretend to be a movie buff, but I do know my likings are broad and am no stranger to cerebral films that test my mental capacity to "keep up," but this one lost me almost immediately and continued to do so for the next 3 hours...
I think the Wachowski Sister's embrace sincerity and and unapologetic romanticism more than any other big directors in current American cinema. I always like to say that the real redpill is that everything they've made after the Matrix movies was better than the Matrix movies, even the first one. I even thought Jupiter Ascending, an extremely underapreciated space opera fantasy movie they made after Cloud Atlas, was still more fun than Matrix. I think Cloud Atlas stands as their masterpiece and basically the purest example of what defines the more recent stretch of their career. It's something very much in the vain of old Hollywood epics, something with an incredibly sprawling scale and scope to it. This really pure, distilled example of what's basically the defining theme of all of their movies, good, decent people rebelling against inhumane forces of control and oppression and in Cloud Atlas they have this narrative playing out over several distinct time periods that kind of interweave and inform each other to tell an epic tale about the inevitable triumph of the human spirit. It's all very romantic and idealistic but in being so it provides a sense of genuine joy and exuberance that you simply don't find elsewhere in modern movies.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
From the D Day landings reference it sounds like you're talking about the Russell Crowe film, not the 2018 one.
Oops, yeah. I mixed up a reinterpretation of Robin Hood cribbing from WW2 films with a reinterpretation of Robin Hood cribbing from Iraq War films. Like you do.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is probably getting into semantics, but a film not getting a sequel when it leaves the door open for one isn't the same as a cliffhanger. Looking at Uprising specifically, the very last words are (almost literally), that the kaiju will keep coming, and that the PPDC will always be there to stop them. There isn't some glaring plot hole or plot point to address, it's more "this is the status quo now." If there's never a sequel film, honestly, I won't feel left out, because that's a status quo I'm fine with.
It's literally a masturbatory sequel baiting. The studio and backers are jerking off in front of the audience and might as well had a narrator that said: "Find out what happens next time on Pacific Rim Z!" There is no semantics about it. Disagree all you want, but it is what is. Sequel baiting.

If they were trying for an MCU, Pacific Rim would need to exist with another IP.

Again, semantics, but I'll put it this way. The MCU is an example of a cinematic universe because it's a franchise with multiple IPs within the same setting - Iron Man, Captain America, etc. Pacific Rim, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc., aren't. They may be developed, expansive universes, but they're not what I'd call cinematic universes such as, say, the DCEU, or Universal Monsters, or "Monsterverse" (because that isn't confusing at all), or so on.
I don't disagree with you there, but tell that to them. They sure as fuck missed the point. Them and many other studios wanted that MCU money. Most have failed, and learned something, While others have learned nothing. The "Dark Universe" (Universal Monster) being the most insulting to its audience.

Well, Amara's at least not yelling "Scrapper!" every five seconds, so there's that. On the other hand, if we're comparing her to Charlie, then Amara kind of falls flat. Which may not be the best comparison, since Charlie and Sam were the protagonists of their movies, while Amara is secondary/tertiary.

Also, I have to ask what her plan was. "I'm going to build my own mech for when the kaiju come back." Okay, great. You want to make it bigger? Cripes, the film can't even give Amara her time to shine piloting Scrapper, instead giving it to Shwen. A character who, as far as we know, has never piloted a mech up to this point, and has only designed drones.
Hence why I said compared to Sam. Amara ain't perfect, and Charlie is defintely better, but I would take both of them over Sam & Cade. What probably does not help is that I am not a fan of Mark Whalberg. Aside from Four Brothers and Those Two Guys, never cared much for movies he starred in.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I enjoyed Cloud Atlas just fine. It felt a lot like the sort of early inspiration for their premise of Sense8. The shared souls joined concept. And I've always enjoyed their films, though I haven't seen Jupiter Ascending. Everything else the Wachowski's have done, I've enjoyed a great deal. Like, Sense8 I just fucking love. That first season had some genuinely wonderful parts for me. I freely admit I'm a sucker for the "we are stronger together" concept of stortytelling, and that's the entire fucking premise of Sense8. The idea of those people, all sharing their lives, and stepping in to help each other when they need it, by applying their unique set of skills, and how terrifying they can be when working in unison, was just so much freaking catnip for me. Cloud Atlas, while I found it ultimately forgettable, since I'm sitting here and unable to really recall too many details about it, I still enjoyed it a lot.

I loved both films. Well, love is too strong, I REALLY enjoyed both films. Uprising not as much as the original, but I did enjoy it a lot. One of the details that I enjoyed was, how they did a Heel/Face turn with the head of that Chinese company. How once she realizes she's been tricked into funding and building the destruction of humanity, the lady in charge basically has zero hesitation on changing directions, having everyone help the rest of the Jaegers, and even jumps in one herself to try and help stop the enemy. Some might call that pandering, but I don't see how it's any more pandering than all the USA! USA!! shit in a multitude of american films. But I see it more as showing a character who is willing to actually put their money where their mouth is. She doesn't run and leave it to others to deal with. She owns up to her own fuck up, and takes direct action to try and stop it. Kind of like how Tony Stark, when realizing his WMDs were, you know, causing mass destruction, suited up and went out there to try and save the people he had put directly into harms way. I dig that shit.

I do find Uprising ulitmately forgettable, again, because I honestly don't remember much, other than the above spoiled part, that really sticks out, upon reflection.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
as much as the original, but I did enjoy it a lot. One of the details that I enjoyed was, how they did a Heel/Face turn with the head of that Chinese company. How once she realizes she's been tricked into funding and building the destruction of humanity, the lady in charge basically has zero hesitation on changing directions, having everyone help the rest of the Jaegers, and even jumps in one herself to try and help stop the enemy. Some might call that pandering, but I don't see how it's any more pandering than all the USA! USA!! shit in a multitude of american films. But I see it more as showing a character who is willing to actually put their money where their mouth is. She doesn't run and leave it to others to deal with. She owns up to her own fuck up, and takes direct action to try and stop it. Kind of like how Tony Stark, when realizing his WMDs were, you know, causing mass destruction, suited up and went out there to try and save the people he had put directly into harms way.
That is my favorite part about the film.

I do find Uprising ulitmately forgettable, again, because I honestly don't remember much, other than the above spoiled part, that really sticks out, upon reflection.
Exactly why I said, fun but forgettable. The fact that you can only do CG monster destroy empty building so many times gets old real fast. Rampage (2018) I had way more fun and found more memorable.

Reactions: happyninja42